PDA

View Full Version : Report: Dykstra took steroids, involved in gambling

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-25-2005, 01:33 AM
Not really a surprise about the steroids...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2045153

LOS ANGELES -- Lenny Dykstra, a key cog in the New York Mets World Series title in 1986 and the Philadelphia Phillies National League pennant in 1993, is being accused of steroid use and illegal gambling, the Los Angeles Times reported.

soxfan26
04-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Not really a surprise about the steroids...

I agree with you there. I'm not suprised by anything that a member of the '86 Mets is alleged to have done.

Sounds like his business partner is a quality human being also.

I just love this **** from MLB though...

Rich Levin, a spokesman for Major League Baseball, said Dykstra could be subject to a permanent ban from the game if an investigation found that he had advised baseball bets while playing.

:tool

"Steroids? Uh huh, yeah, well they actually weren't illegal at the time."

"WHAT? You say Dykstra gambled on baseball?!? Gambling is the biggest threat to our grand old game, we won't stand for this!"

:rolleyes:

The Racehorse
04-25-2005, 10:16 AM
These allegations reiterate something that I've been saying for a long time... steroids may have proliferated big time in the 90s, but they've been around as long as the mid to early 80s, if not longer.

And a player [or pitcher] doesn't have to be a "big" guy or a huge "muscle-head" to benefit from them.

voodoochile
04-25-2005, 10:23 AM
I agree with you there. I'm not suprised by anything that a member of the '86 Mets is alleged to have done.

Sounds like his business partner is a quality human being also.

I just love this **** from MLB though...

"Steroids? Uh huh, yeah, well they actually weren't illegal at the time."

"WHAT? You say Dykstra gambled on baseball?!? Gambling is the biggest threat to our grand old game, we won't stand for this!"

:rolleyes:

Regardless of how you feel about steroids - and I think most of us agree they need to get much stricter about enforcing - gambling remains a major issue for all professional sports. You cannot allow your players to be involved in gambling on the sports they play in, period. There can be no leeway on that issue ever or soon the sport is no longer a real event, but something that has a predetermined outcome. Soon after that, you need to bring out the girls in bikini's, fake feuds, blood and fights and over the top plot lines to keep the fans' attention.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-25-2005, 10:58 AM
I believe it's noteworthy that the person bringing these charges is facing criminal charges of his own. The parallels to what started the Pete Rose case are stark.

Now all we need is John Dowd and a goofy baseball commissioner to tamper with a federal judge to bring it full circle.

:cool:

"Giamatti would have believed this witness against Dykstra and I believe the court should believe him, too. Whaddya mean I could go to jail for tampering???"

RKMeibalane
04-25-2005, 12:02 PM
I believe it's noteworthy that the person bringing these charges is facing criminal charges of his own. The parallels to what started the Pete Rose case are stark.

Now all we need is John Dowd and a goofy baseball commissioner to tamper with a federal judge to bring it full circle.

:cool:

"Giamatti would have believed this witness against Dykstra and I believe the court should believe him, too. Whaddya mean I could go to jail for tampering???"

I wonder if this means ESPN will make a movie about it, too. :cool:

soxfan26
04-25-2005, 04:38 PM
Regardless of how you feel about steroids - and I think most of us agree they need to get much stricter about enforcing - gambling remains a major issue for all professional sports. You cannot allow your players to be involved in gambling on the sports they play in, period. There can be no leeway on that issue ever or soon the sport is no longer a real event, but something that has a predetermined outcome. Soon after that, you need to bring out the girls in bikini's, fake feuds, blood and fights and over the top plot lines to keep the fans' attention.

I didn't mean to sound flippant about gambling in baseball. I agree it has no place in any professional sport. But using the same logic then it is clear that steroids also have no place either.

It frustrates me however that a MLB executive is interviewed about a former player who is accused of using steroids and gambling, and he goes out of his way to admonish gambling and ignores the steroid issue.

But then I guess it is hard to comment while your head is in the sand and you're waiting for it to go away.

PatK
04-25-2005, 06:27 PM
Haven't the gambling rumors been following Lenny for years?