PDA

View Full Version : Pablo Ozuna - under the radar

mikehuff
04-24-2005, 09:41 PM
Talk about under the radar.
This is from Pablo Ozuna's profile on cbssportsline.com.

Fantasy Analysis
We like Ozuna's chances of earning a reserve role with the big club in Chicago this season. He has speed and would be a nice alternative if Jose Guillen-favorite Willie Harris falters as the everyday second baseman. Track Ozuna's progress in spring. The former top prospect, now 30, might emerge as a solid utility option.
(Updated 01/22/2005).

January 22 is the latest info they have on the guy. They have to do a little better covering this club. Plus, he's wearing a Tigers hat in his picture. Oh, and I don't think Jose Guillen gives a crap about Willie Harris.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/21664

kevingrt
04-24-2005, 09:45 PM
If you think the local media is biased what do you think the national media is going to do. I don't really mind though, CBS isn't really known as the baseball experts.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-24-2005, 09:57 PM
The Sporting News just had some good words on him too. From memory, I believe they said our best lead-off hitter after Pods and handles the bat well in general. The guy has got to be HUNGRY, being as career minor leaguer. I love stories like that, usually in magical years you have a story or two like that. The kid from nowhere gets a big hit in October to help his team win the W......but I digress back to reality.

balke
04-24-2005, 09:59 PM
On BBTN, Ozuna was the only thing anyone talked about. Reynolds kept muttering "Lots of potential" through the highlights. That was about all they said about the Sox win.

DaleJRFan
04-24-2005, 10:36 PM
On BBTN, Ozuna was the only thing anyone talked about. Reynolds kept muttering "Lots of potential" through the highlights. That was about all they said about the Sox win.

I was wondering about that... Reynolds was talking about him as if he was a prospect they called up. Do they know he's a 30 year old journeyman who has bounced from minor lague system to minor league system for 4 or 5 years???

Is EVERY SINGLE FREAKIN' player on the white sox clutch?? jeesh! What a great problem to have! :D:

Papas
04-25-2005, 03:50 AM
IMO it's not only Pablo that's stepped up it's the whole bench, getting it done as always. I really like the way Ken Williams nailed the depth, especially with the way Manual and Coach Oz like the play there benches (not that Manual matters anymore, but we still had a damn good bench back then with Graffanino and co). Timo, Gload, and Pablo, and here we are at 15-4.

JUribe1989
04-25-2005, 07:39 AM
Baseball Tonight was more embarassing than ever on their coverage of the Sox and Ozuna. The entire highlight reel, Harold Reynolds thought Pablo Ozuna was like 24 or something and kept saying in a high pitched voice he's got "high voice kicks in" po-ten-tial. They had a 15-4 team nearly last in the highlights. They give us no credit. Sportscenter gives us plenty of credit, Baseball Tonight just hates us and always will.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-25-2005, 09:18 AM
It's OK, JUST WIN BABY!

voodoochile
04-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Ah what the heck... as good a place as any...

In chat yesterday, there were several of us unsure (read: FREAKING OUT) about Ozuna playing 1B. Now, I never sit around in chat during the opponents last at bat when the Sox are winning because the room tends to live and die (and I mean literally) with every pitch that doesn't lead to the game being over - a ball might as well be the end of the world - but I for one was mightily impressed with the diving stop on Sweeney's grounder and subsequent toss to Shingo. That was one heck of a play and one more reason that this team is doing so well. Everyone is doing whatever it takes to win.

Papas
04-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Baseball Tonight was more embarassing than ever on their coverage of the Sox and Ozuna. The entire highlight reel, Harold Reynolds thought Pablo Ozuna was like 24 or something and kept saying in a high pitched voice he's got "high voice kicks in" po-ten-tial. They had a 15-4 team nearly last in the highlights. They give us no credit. Sportscenter gives us plenty of credit, Baseball Tonight just hates us and always will.
Thats fine, the more they say the Twins will take the Central the stupider they make themselves look.

Also it's better to fly under the radar I think (though when your that good its hard to, I guess it still works with the Sox ;)).

mweflen
04-25-2005, 02:20 PM
I would think a guy who has played every other IF position in his career would have no prob adjusting to first. 1B is always where they place the power guy with the least range.

Ozuna did look pretty silly using Paulie's glove - that thing's the size of a big, doughy pizza pie!

chisoxfanatic
04-25-2005, 06:40 PM
Sportscenter gives us plenty of credit, Baseball Tonight just hates us and always will.

I thought it was pretty cool that they put the Sox highlights immediately following the Bulls' higlights. Later on in the broadcast, they said the Sox current status is "to Cub fans' dismay." I absolutely loved that Sports Center last night...

As for the topic at hand regarding Ozuna...The guy deserves to be a starter nearly every day. His display of clutch hitting both in Cactus League play, as well as this month of April shows me that he has a great deal of hunger and wants the best for this team, willing to take risks that usually even work. He hasn't been a bad fielder as well. I'd support playing Ozuna as an auxilliary substitute starter.

balke
04-25-2005, 07:01 PM
I thought it was pretty cool that they put the Sox highlights immediately following the Bulls' higlights. Later on in the broadcast, they said the Sox current status is "to Cub fans' dismay." I absolutely loved that Sports Center last night...

As for the topic at hand regarding Ozuna...The guy deserves to be a starter nearly every day. His display of clutch hitting both in Cactus League play, as well as this month of April shows me that he has a great deal of hunger and wants the best for this team, willing to take risks that usually even work. He hasn't been a bad fielder as well. I'd support playing Ozuna as an auxilliary substitute starter.

He's no Gooch I don't think. But he's done everything right just about. I like him as a utility, playing his heart out for playing time.