PDA

View Full Version : AJ Pierzynski Out with Toe Injury!!!

GiveMeSox
04-24-2005, 09:37 PM
Here is the link. He said he hurt it when he got hit with a pitch by Greinke Sat night. He actaully recieved a large amount of treatment on it and I wouldn't be surprised if doesn't play in the Oakland series at all.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050424&content_id=1027210&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

MUsoxfan
04-24-2005, 09:39 PM
I'm confident in a speedy recovery. The beautiful thing about this team so far this year is that when one guy is down, another guy always seems to step up.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-24-2005, 09:41 PM
The bigger news from that article is Contreras won't miss a start, that's great. AJ's tough, he'll be back soon enough.

kevingrt
04-24-2005, 09:42 PM
As long as AJ P. can be back by the weekend series versus the Tigers at the Cell I feel comfortable. Chris Widger should be able to catch four games in a row no problem. I don't think this injury is bad enough for AJ to go on the DL, from what I hear it's only a bruise on the toe, which probably kills, but AJ is a player and will get back to teh field as soon as possible.

Jjav829
04-24-2005, 09:48 PM
I believe Willie Harris has an option left, correct? If so, I'd expect them to option him down for the next few days and bring up Davis or Burke. That is assuming that they believe he'll miss the next week or so. If it's only a game or two, hopefully Widger will be fine. I hate to only have one catcher available, though.

itsnotrequired
04-24-2005, 09:54 PM
I believe Willie Harris has an option left, correct? If so, I'd expect them to option him down for the next few days and bring up Davis or Burke. That is assuming that they believe he'll miss the next week or so. If it's only a game or two, hopefully Widger will be fine. I hate to only have one catcher available, though.

I remember Ozzie saying something last year about liking to keep three catchers on the team. Did I mis-hear that? Has he changed his style?

A. Cavatica
04-24-2005, 09:58 PM
Ben Davis is batting .242 with a homer for Charlotte, splitting time with Raul Casanova. Jamie Burke is batting .192 with a double, and has been playing a lot of third base. Since the club is familiar with both Davis and Burke, I expect one to get a callup, probably Davis.

Banix12
04-24-2005, 10:56 PM
It doesn't sound so bad that we'll bother calling up another catcher, my guess is that Pierzynski could still catch but they would rather him rest and he'll get the Oakland series off. Though if i'm wrong and Widger gets hurt you might see the catching debut of Pablo Ozuna.

If the injury were severe he would already be on the DL.

SomebodyToldMe
04-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Though if i'm wrong and Widger gets hurt you might see the catching debut of Pablo Ozuna.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's gold! :gulp:

Ol' No. 2
04-24-2005, 11:20 PM
It doesn't sound so bad that we'll bother calling up another catcher, my guess is that Pierzynski could still catch but they would rather him rest and he'll get the Oakland series off. Though if i'm wrong and Widger gets hurt you might see the catching debut of Pablo Ozuna.

If the injury were severe he would already be on the DL.That's the way I read it, too. He's probably be sitting against Zito anyway. They have an off day on Thursday, so if Widger catches the Oakland series, AJ can get 6-days rest. I expect he could play in an emergency.

seanpmurphy
04-25-2005, 01:24 AM
AJ seems like a hardass. After a couple of days rest I'm sure he'll be fine.

No offense to Contreras but I'd like to see what McCarthy can do given the chance.

BridgePortNative
04-25-2005, 01:28 AM
There was a lot of blood collection in his toe so they had to put, IIRC three holes to drain it all..........ouch

200th Post!!!:supernana:

Banix12
04-25-2005, 01:29 AM
No offense to Contreras but I'd like to see what McCarthy can do given the chance.

I think you just echoed the sentiments of a majority of members here.

FarWestChicago
04-25-2005, 01:31 AM
No offense to Contreras but I'd like to see what McCarthy can do given the chance.This makes absolutely no sense. What is the harm in letting a young pitcher develop in the minors for once? We have been through the under developed kid as 5th starter for a LONG time. Why start it again? I just can't believe there are people wishing for this. It's absolutely astonishing.

daveeym
04-25-2005, 01:33 AM
I think you just echoed the sentiments of a majority of members here.:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

MUsoxfan
04-25-2005, 01:33 AM

At the risk of totally hijacking this thread....you're out of your mind. Besides the fact that Contreras has pitched quite well and hasn't even lost a game for the 15-4 ML leading White Sox, McCarthy isn't exactly lighting it up at Charlotte (0-2, 4.76 in 17IP). Let's leave the recipe for success alone.

seanpmurphy
04-25-2005, 01:48 AM
Not the first time I've been told I'm out of my mind! :smile:

FarWestChicago
04-25-2005, 02:08 AM
I think you just echoed the sentiments of a majority of members here.You left out the rather critical word "psychotic".

ilsox7
04-25-2005, 02:17 AM

So we go from begging for a serviceable 5th starter to wishing injury upon one of our starters so we can bring up a minor leaguer, start his service clock, to "see what he can do?"

Wow.

TomParrish79
04-25-2005, 02:50 AM
Yeah hopefully a few days off and AJ will be ready to go.

No offense to Contreras but I'd like to see what McCarthy can do given the chance

I dont see how anyone could say this, we have a whole rotation pitching great right now, what would we gain in bringing up a minor leaguer for a start? I still have nightmares of the revolving 5th starter from last year when the Charlotte flavor of the week would be brought up and give up 8 runs in the first before being yanked.

Be happy that Contreras is gonna make his next start, the guy pitched great last game.

jabrch
04-25-2005, 03:48 AM

Then go see a Knights game. He has been pitching OK down there, but not setting the world on fire.

Assuming we have no injuries and no collapeses, it will be nice to see the Sox develop a pitcher at an appropriate pace in the minors rather than be forced to rush him to the bigs to try and fill a hole in our rotation. Ideally we see McCarthy with the Sox in 2006 and then Gonzalez in 2007/8.

owensmouth
04-25-2005, 04:33 AM
Then go see a Knights game. He has been pitching OK down there, but not setting the world on fire.

Assuming we have no injuries and no collapeses, it will be nice to see the Sox develop a pitcher at an appropriate pace in the minors rather than be forced to rush him to the bigs to try and fill a hole in our rotation. Ideally we see McCarthy with the Sox in 2006 and then Gonzalez in 2007/8.Who are you planning on dumping next year?

By the way, according to the Trib, if Contreras cannot pitch Friday, McCarthy will be brought up.

I don't trust Contreras, but I doubt that McCarthy would be significantly better this year. McCarthy's (or any rookie's) first year in the majors has to be expected to be no better that .500. That holds true whether it's this year, next year, or later. So the one reason to bring him up now is to get him over that first year hump.

So far, Contreras claim to fame is that he hasn't lost. For 7 million dollars, I'd expect something more than somebody that can't hold a lead and needs early help. Yesterday he was injured, but all too often he shoots himself in the foot.

fquaye149
04-25-2005, 04:38 AM
Who are you planning on dumping next year?

By the way, according to the Trib, if Contreras cannot pitch Friday, McCarthy will be brought up.

I don't trust Contreras, but I doubt that McCarthy would be significantly better this year. McCarthy's (or any rookie's) first year in the majors has to be expected to be no better that .500. That holds true whether it's this year, next year, or later. So the one reason to bring him up now is to get him over that first year hump.

So far, Contreras claim to fame is that he hasn't lost. For 7 million dollars, I'd expect something more than somebody that can't hold a lead and needs early help. Yesterday he was injured, but all too often he shoots himself in the foot.

Yeah that's true. Pitchers rarely figure it out, even when the problem is as obvious as just throwing one's fastball more.

Let's dump him and bring up someone to get him over the hump. We are in a rebuilding year, after all. plus that's worked so well for our pitching prospects in the past...once felix diaz and jon rauch got over that hump they were everything we thought they'd be.

ilsox7
04-25-2005, 04:40 AM
Who are you planning on dumping next year?

So you're saying that we should let McCarthy work the kinks out a year or two ahead of schedule in the Majors while we are off to our best start ever?

And Contreras is getting that $7MM no matter what. As long as he gives us a chance to win, I'm happy. And the fact of the matter is that he does have the ability to dominate. He hasn't shown that ability as often as most around here would like, but it is is there in flashes at least.

owensmouth
04-25-2005, 06:42 AM
So you're saying that we should let McCarthy work the kinks out a year or two ahead of schedule in the Majors while we are off to our best start ever?

And Contreras is getting that $7MM no matter what. As long as he gives us a chance to win, I'm happy. And the fact of the matter is that he does have the ability to dominate. He hasn't shown that ability as often as most around here would like, but it is is there in flashes at least.No, I said that it's the one reason to do it (one as in only). But don't you worry, Williams is well aware that he would have to explain to somebody why he's thrown away 14 million on Contreras if he dumped him. Contreras is here for the duration of his contract. No one else would touch him.

SSN721
04-25-2005, 07:30 AM
I just cant beleive after last year the willingness by some here to start bringing up whiz kids from the minors. I just think back to Felix Diaz because didnt he have something like a 1.5 ERA and was completely lights out when he was brought up last year and rocked? McCarthy isnt close to that yet and people are already to bring him up so early in the year. I only want him brought up under absolute emergency circumstances. Let the kid get a full year in the minors before bringing him up to this level. Let him develop.

TommyJohn
04-25-2005, 09:23 AM
TRAINER

How did the toe injury feel, A.J.?

A.J.

Like this! (stamps on trainer's foot, trainer howls in pain)

owensmouth
04-25-2005, 10:37 AM
I just cant beleive after last year the willingness by some here to start bringing up whiz kids from the minors. I just think back to Felix Diaz because didnt he have something like a 1.5 ERA and was completely lights out when he was brought up last year and rocked? McCarthy isnt close to that yet and people are already to bring him up so early in the year. I only want him brought up under absolute emergency circumstances. Let the kid get a full year in the minors before bringing him up to this level. Let him develop.According to the White Sox pitching coach, McCarthy is major league ready. The reason he wasn't brought up is because the Sox already had their five starters. Why do you choose to compare McCarthy to Diaz? He is the same age Buehrle was when Mark was brought up, with roughly the same experience. But I do agree with you on one thing... if Contreras is okay, leave well enough alone.

LVSoxFan
04-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Contreras is a head case, but he's done some fine work this season--*** is everybody jumping on him for?

I noticed one thing at the K.C. game which verifies something Hawk and D.J. bitched about all last season: when he counts on his fastball, he does well. I didn't realize, BTW, that the dude throws 96 mph! Wow. Then he can set up batters to whiff at his split-finger.

But Lord oh Lord the idea of having a fifth starter hole again--that was the primary reason for last season tanking! I have nightmares about Arnie Munoz...

BTW as far as A.J. goes, what he has is known as "black toe." I've had it (fingers too). It's not as bad as it sounds. Trust me, once you poke that hole in the nail and the blood gets out, it is instant relief. It'll be sore for a few days, but if A.J. wanted to play he could.

Randar68
04-25-2005, 02:17 PM
BTW as far as A.J. goes, what he has is known as "black toe." I've had it (fingers too). It's not as bad as it sounds. Trust me, once you poke that hole in the nail and the blood gets out, it is instant relief. It'll be sore for a few days, but if A.J. wanted to play he could.

I agree, but the problem is that AJ is a catcher and puts a lot of pressure on it. It's still sore, just doesn't have the throbbing pain caused by the blood building up under the nail. Depending on how he got hit, could also leave a nice bone bruise under it, and those take weeks/months to feel back to 100%

hawkjt
04-25-2005, 02:35 PM
Even if Jose needs more time there is no reason to make a move. With the day off on thursday El duque can work fridays game with the usual 5day rest and the next spot for jose will be the following wed. So he will have like 10 days total to recoup from the hammy. No need to bring anyone up. I am pleased with that. McCarthy's time will come eventually. Jose was flame throwing 97mph when he came up lame. That guy is the power guy in this rotation. I like our diversity. The cold affects El Duque more than most cuz he counts on movement. When it gets warm so will he.

seanpmurphy
04-25-2005, 03:18 PM
So we go from begging for a serviceable 5th starter to wishing injury upon one of our starters so we can bring up a minor leaguer, start his service clock, to "see what he can do?"

Wow.

No one is wishing an injury on anyone.

ilsox7
04-25-2005, 03:38 PM
No one is wishing an injury on anyone.

That's not what has been implied by several people around here.

swanson24
04-25-2005, 05:21 PM
I know not everyone has bought into A.J. Pierzynski yet but I believe he is vital to our playoff run this year. He has been dogged by rumors in the past but this guy is a good teamate and a talented player. If you don't believe me fine but listen to what Ozzie has to say. "A.J.'s pretty sore right now," Guillen said. "He wasn't going to play (Sunday) anyway, especially with a day game after a night game, but he got banged pretty good. It's amazing what this kid did," Guillen continued, "scoring from first base after being hit. Then he went from first to third (in the 10th) with that pain. Not too many people can do that. His teammates should feel good and appreciate what he did for them (Saturday). So should I. I was so pleased he played that way. He showed me he's a gamer. He showed me he wanted to win. He showed me he wanted to play."(Taken from whitesox.com article)

I hope he gets well but its better to be safe and rest him for awhile.