PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine Dye

kingpin_rcs
04-24-2005, 05:51 PM
What is wrong with this guy? Is he a notoriously slow starter? I thought he might be keyed up a little playing in KC since that's where he started. Perhaps being in Oakland will light a fire under his backside.

I really believe that if the team is going to win in the long haul, they will need production from Dye.

RKMeibalane
04-24-2005, 05:52 PM
What is wrong with this guy? Is he a notoriously slow starter? I thought he might be keyed up a little playing in KC since that's where he started. Perhaps being in Oakland will light a fire under his backside.

I really believe that if the team is going to win in the long haul, they will need production from Dye.

Dye's career actually began with the Braves. He was traded to Kansas City for Michael Tucker.

jabrch
04-24-2005, 06:02 PM
Everyone doesn't start off hot every year. Right now we have 6 guys hitting over .300. Dye has not hit well in the first 65 ABs in the year. Who knows why... I wouldn't bet against him ending the season hitting close to his career average of .270 - which means he will pick it up soon.

And worse case scenario, if he does continue to stink it up, we have options.

samram
04-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Everyone doesn't start off hot every year. Right now we have 6 guys hitting over .300. Dye has not hit well in the first 65 ABs in the year. Who knows why... I wouldn't bet against him ending the season hitting close to his career average of .270 - which means he will pick it up soon.

And worse case scenario, if he does continue to stink it up, we have options.

Yep, he'll be fine. Slumps at the beginning of the season just look worse because there's not enough ABs to cover it up. And he's still the best defensive option in RF by far.

Jurr
04-24-2005, 06:25 PM
That's what is great about this team. Crede was struggling, and other guys picked him up. Crede gets hot at the same time Konerko goes limp. Uribe turned it up this weekend while Dye, Rowand, and Paule weren't hitting. It's always somebody. That's the sign of a good club.

OzzieFan
04-24-2005, 06:26 PM
Dyes a bum... But I dont know if we really have a better option untill Frank is back unless we put Ozuna out there!

ilsox7
04-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Dyes a bum... But I dont know if we really have a better option untill Frank is back unless we put Ozuna out there!

Yea, a bad 3 weeks means he's a bum. *****.

jordan23ventura
04-24-2005, 06:48 PM
I think that once Konerko and Rowand start getting it going Dye will follow suit. When the guys in front of you and behind you get hot it gets a lot easier to come out of a slump. Hopefully, Aaron is on his way now.

Lip Man 1
04-24-2005, 07:35 PM
I thought I read somewhere, where Dye is a notorious slow starter.

Lip

DaveIsHere
04-24-2005, 08:51 PM

Lip

I read that too somehwere. The fact is that he is awesome in right and once we start getting going he wil have some protection. I firmly believe that where you are in the line up along with how "hot" those guys around you are , dictates the pitches you get.

elrod
04-24-2005, 08:52 PM
The whole lineup 3-6 stunk this series and we still swept them. Why? Because we have a balanced team. Welcome to the 2001-2004 Twins.

Ol' No. 2
04-24-2005, 08:54 PM

LipI looked up his splits (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits3?statsId=5610&type=batting). April isn't notably different from any other month, at least over the past few years.

DickAllen72
04-24-2005, 08:55 PM

Lip
I know I read that somewhere too, probably on this board.

But I seem to remember either last season or the season before, he was leading the AL in home runs after the first month or so. Can anyone confirm this, or am I just imagining things?

kevingrt
04-24-2005, 09:35 PM
It is early but for a newcomer to get off to such a bad start is kind of scary. I think he will come back and start to hit .275 or so but he has really gotten off to a horrid start. But he ahs been good in RF which is key. Hopefully he will find his groove. But I'm not really worrying about Dye yet.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-24-2005, 09:38 PM
I heard an interview with him (don't remember where) last week and he said that he really wanted to impress being new and all. Sounds like to me he just needs to relax a bit. Going to Oakland may be good timing. Hopefully he still has a comfort factor there. But if he tries hard to show them they made a mistake he may be right back where he started from. I am a little disappointed in his arm, I thought it was a little better. It's still early for him.

dickallen15
04-24-2005, 09:51 PM
The fact of the matter is Jermaine Dye hasn't been a very good player since he broke a bone in the playoffs several years ago. He may be slumping, but hopefully his slump won't last as long as the one he had in 2003 when he hit under .180 for the season.

Frater Perdurabo
04-25-2005, 10:08 AM
If Frank returned today, we must conclude Dye would sit while Everett played the outfield. Dye then becomes the RH bat off the bench.

tstrike2000
04-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Isn't this the first time Dye's been fully healthy in a few years? Plus if I remember, Dye seems to be very streaky. With KC and Oakland I remeber he hit really well in the few months leading up to the all-star break and then cooled up in the second half or got injured.

samram
04-25-2005, 10:16 AM
If Frank returned today, we must conclude Dye would sit while Everett played the outfield. Dye then becomes the RH bat off the bench.

I still think Dye would play RF if he came back today. Frank's offensive production would equal or surpass Everett's, while Everett's playing OF everyday would hurt the team defensively. Therefore, Dye would be the everyday RF, while Everett would spell he and Rowand against tough righties. Now, if Dye is just awful through early June, then the team should consider a change. However, I don't want Carl playing RF everyday.

LVSoxFan
04-25-2005, 10:25 AM
The whole lineup 3-6 stunk this series and we still swept them. Why? Because we have a balanced team. Welcome to the 2001-2004 Twins.

LMAO. I was thinking the exact same thing after this weekend.

Frater Perdurabo
04-25-2005, 10:47 AM
I still think Dye would play RF if he came back today. Frank's offensive production would equal or surpass Everett's, while Everett's playing OF everyday would hurt the team defensively. Therefore, Dye would be the everyday RF, while Everett would spell he and Rowand against tough righties. Now, if Dye is just awful through early June, then the team should consider a change. However, I don't want Carl playing RF everyday.

I think they need a complex platoon system among DH and the outfield spots that would keep everyone sharp and fresh at the same time by playing five out of every six games. Dye has been so awful (other than one game) that if Frank returned today, Dye likely would grab some bench. However, I expect Dye to raise his average by the time Frank returns.

the gooch
04-25-2005, 11:55 AM
dye takes longer to get going because hes a big guy and has more moving parts.
thats also why frank isnt back yet... those pesky extra bones in his foot.

Hangar18
04-25-2005, 12:30 PM
Ive been on the Dye-is-a-Bum Bandwagon since day 3 of the season,
but I saw something from him saturday nite that I liked. He wasnt having
a good game again, but got on base with an infield hit (3b missed the play)
A grounder to the SS looked like a double play, but he slid hard and took
the guy out, keeping the inning alive .......... setting up Rowands eventual
single!!!! that was awesome ......... shows me he was still thinking of the team ..........