PDA

View Full Version : Sox fans on talk radio= embarassing

PatK
04-24-2005, 04:39 PM
I realize that there's a lot of Sox Pride going around since the Sox are off to a good start and the Cubs aren't doing so great.

Unfortunately, the way some of the gloating that is going on makes it look like we are indeed the bitter, hate-filled fans that us Sox fans are trying to get away from.

It seems like every other caller to the Score or MVP is right out of the "Superfan" sketch from Saturday Night Live. Nothing but a stereotypical "Over by dere" Chicagoan who goes out of their way to diss the Cubs. It would be funny if some of them were at least original, but saying that the Cubs are "Compeletely Usesless By September" at any chance you get got old back in the Scott Ruffcorn days.

We've got enough image problem because of D-bags like Bill Simondsen, the Legues, and Eric Dybas (although he's a Cubs fan). We don't need to look bad by sounding like illiterate stereotypes and bitter, gloading individuals.

Remember, WE are the ones that are supposed to be the more intelligent, knowledgeable fans, so please sound and act like it when you have a chance to represent us, no matter how much you may dislike "Kerry Woods".

woodenleg
04-24-2005, 06:17 PM
Have you ever tried to get through on a talk radio station?

Lots of these stations have a 'tabloid' mentality.

For example, my mother once caught a talk radio host lying about a particular subject. My mother tried getting through over and over, explaining that she had all sorts of facts and news clippings on this subject. They didn't want the facts - they were extremely rude and kept putting on the most ignorant callers.

Frankly, the station people were vicious to her. These people were lying on the radio, and wouldn't allow for an opposing view.

Talk radio is a tabloid-style entertainment forum. If you want the truth, look elsewhere.

It's pointless to come here and ask people to behave better when they call a radio show. The most stereotypical characters are the ones who will get through.

Dan H
04-24-2005, 06:19 PM
I hardly listen to talk radio, so I haven't heard these fans. However April 24 is much too early to gloat anyway. No one can argue with the success of the best start of the history of the franchise. But as no one should overreact to a bad start, no one should assume the playoffs are just around the corner. The White Sox have made things much easier for themselves, but there is 143 games left.

Secondly, you have to realize who calls talk radio. It is not the most intelligent fan, especially the ones who call the Score. I doubt they are representative of Sox fans.

jordan23ventura
04-24-2005, 07:46 PM

For example, my mother once caught a talk radio host lying about a particular subject. My mother tried getting through over and over, explaining that she had all sorts of facts and news clippings on this subject. They didn't want the facts - they were extremely rude and kept putting on the most ignorant callers.

Frankly, the station people were vicious to her. These people were lying on the radio, and wouldn't allow for an opposing view.

Talk radio is a tabloid-style entertainment forum. If you want the truth, look elsewhere.

It's pointless to come here and ask people to behave better when they call a radio show. The most stereotypical characters are the ones who will get through.

Good point. The hosts of the show always have to sound smarter than the guy calling in. If that's not the case, I doubt that the caller gets on.

Brian26
04-24-2005, 07:49 PM
Secondly, you have to realize who calls talk radio. It is not the most intelligent fan, especially the ones who call the Score. I doubt they are representative of Sox fans.

I think the same 12 guys having been calling every sports radio show in town since the Chet Coppock days.

MUsoxfan
04-24-2005, 08:31 PM
I used to come back to my apartment after a long night of drinking and decide I need to call J. Hood. I'd bring up some point (usually not on the Sox) and then he'd hang up on me and yell at the listeners to not call into his show drunk. How I long for those days to come back....:rolleyes:

Viva Medias B's
04-24-2005, 08:44 PM
Less than 10% of the listening audience calls in.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Good point. The hosts of the show always have to sound smarter than the guy calling in. If that's not the case, I doubt that the caller gets on.

That's totally not true. I always call Murph after the Sox games because I know most of his listeners are Cubs fans. So it's really easy to get on air fast whenever he tries to talk White Sox. He bumps us ahead of all the Cub callers. Funny this thread came up. That is one of the reasons I try alway get on-air and say something intelligent. Too many Sox fans get on, and then talk about the Cubs as much as they do the Sox and do sound stupid.

gosox41
04-25-2005, 09:45 AM
I realize that there's a lot of Sox Pride going around since the Sox are off to a good start and the Cubs aren't doing so great.

Unfortunately, the way some of the gloating that is going on makes it look like we are indeed the bitter, hate-filled fans that us Sox fans are trying to get away from.

It seems like every other caller to the Score or MVP is right out of the "Superfan" sketch from Saturday Night Live. Nothing but a stereotypical "Over by dere" Chicagoan who goes out of their way to diss the Cubs. It would be funny if some of them were at least original, but saying that the Cubs are "Compeletely Usesless By September" at any chance you get got old back in the Scott Ruffcorn days.

We've got enough image problem because of D-bags like Bill Simondsen, the Legues, and Eric Dybas (although he's a Cubs fan). We don't need to look bad by sounding like illiterate stereotypes and bitter, gloading individuals.

Remember, WE are the ones that are supposed to be the more intelligent, knowledgeable fans, so please sound and act like it when you have a chance to represent us, no matter how much you may dislike "Kerry Woods".

It is annoying, but it beats listen to Bear fans analyze this draft like it's going to matter for them next season while all the while living in 1985.

Bob

ND_Sox_Fan
04-25-2005, 10:02 AM

Exactly. They put the most controversial people on to draw more callers and more listeners.

Furthermore, it is another way for them to pick the attitude or focus of the story they are talking about (some might call it bias). If they want to portray Sox fans as a bunch of idiots, they are going to put the idiots on the air. It is that simple.

PatK
04-25-2005, 03:09 PM
The thing that gets me is that it just perpetuates the negative stereotypes.

I was talking to my brother (who doesn't follow baseball) and he was like "the one thing I don't like about Sox fans is their blinding hatred for the Cubs and their fans", and brought up all the idiots on talk radio.

When it comes to all the non-Sox fans I know (and I don't necessarily mean Cubs fans), they ALL say the same thing.

jackbrohamer
04-25-2005, 03:37 PM
I've gone beyond giving a flying one what anyone except Sox fans think of Sox fans.

TommyJohn
04-25-2005, 03:48 PM
The thing that gets me is that it just perpetuates the negative stereotypes.

I was talking to my brother (who doesn't follow baseball) and he was like "the one thing I don't like about Sox fans is their blinding hatred for the Cubs and their fans", and brought up all the idiots on talk radio.

When it comes to all the non-Sox fans I know (and I don't necessarily mean Cubs fans), they ALL say the same thing.

Well, they read it and hear it spoken by the angry mediots all the time, so
of course they believe it to be true.

cheeses_h_rice
04-26-2005, 10:37 AM
Ugh.

Moron Sox fan calls up Boers & Bernstein and proceeds to drink the black & white Koolaid thusly: "Yeah, guys, with the way the Sox are playing so well, if they go onto win the World Series, what sort of pressure do you think that will put on the Tribune Corporation now that the Red Sox and White Sox will have won?"

Guys: it's 20 games. The Sox haven't even made the playoffs yet, let alone WINNING THE WORLD SERIES. And even if they did, who CARES what impact it makes on the Tribune Corporation?

Please, if moronic thoughts like these cross your mind -- keep 'em to yourselves. You're embarrassing White Sox fans.

PatK
04-26-2005, 10:39 AM
Please, if moronic thoughts like these cross your mind -- keep 'em to yourselves. You're embarrassing White Sox fans.

Exactly. Just let the Cubs fans call in. They do a good enough job of being dumb, there's no need to pile on.

DrCrawdad
04-26-2005, 11:09 AM
It's all very predictable. Sox have a hot streak. A few Sox fans call in to talk radio to gloat. Next up discussion about Sox attendance woes.

If the Sox win 2 of 3 in Oakland, or perhaps sweep, you can bet that unless the Sox sell-out all three weekend games there will be sports blab talk about Sox attendance woes. Oftentimes the hosts blabbing, and the callers, are Cubbie fans. They're really not interested in the subject, outside of putting down the Sox and Sox fans though.

cheeses_h_rice
04-26-2005, 11:20 AM
It's all very predictable. Sox have a hot streak. A few Sox fans call in to talk radio to gloat. Next up discussion about Sox attendance woes.

If the Sox win 2 of 3 in Oakland, or perhaps sweep, you can bet that unless the Sox sell-out all three weekend games there will be sports blab talk about Sox attendance woes. Oftentimes the hosts blabbing, and the callers, are Cubbie fans. They're really not interested in the subject, outside of putting down the Sox and Sox fans though.

Nah, B&B don't harp on the attendance issue -- they have the same take on things that we do.

Now, Mike Murphy is another matter...

DrCrawdad
04-26-2005, 11:33 AM
Nah, B&B don't harp on the attendance issue -- they have the same take on things that we do.

Now, Mike Murphy is another matter...

Murphy IS one of the hosts who will talk Sox attendance either Friday or Monday. Book it! Jurko & Harry will too.

IF the Sox sold-out Friday-Saturday-Sunday, then Murphy and other Cubbie fans will ask why the Sox can't sell-out more regularly.