PDA

View Full Version : How confident are you about tomorrow night's game?

chisoxfanatic
04-24-2005, 05:22 PM
The Sox are going into a ballpark in which they have seen much better days than the past few years. It looks like the Sox will be running in to Barry Zito tomorrow night, with our outstanding FIFTH STARTER in Garland on the mound for us. Zito's been impressively choking it up this year, hasn't had it very much this year, so, if we can get some runs very early in this one to rough him up, I think we can get into their bullpen rather early.

It's time for the Sox to cast aside the misfortunes at the Network Associates Colisseum and take advantage of Zito's lacking and continue their undefeated streak in the first game of the series. Because of such lacking on Zito's part, I'm feeling pretty confident about the game tomorrow night.

How are you feeling with regards to the opening game in the Oakland series?

balke
04-24-2005, 05:26 PM
I lost the thread this was in... so I can't respond to the person, but this is close enough. Is DH hurt too? If so, what's wrong with him? Someone just said he, Contreres, and AJ are hurt.

If Dustin is out, we need deep innings from JG tomorrow.

batmanZoSo
04-24-2005, 05:27 PM
The Sox are going into a ballpark in which they have seen much better days than the past few years. It looks like the Sox will be running in to Barry Zito tomorrow night, with our outstanding FIFTH STARTER in Garland on the mound for us. Zito's been impressively choking it up this year, hasn't had it very much this year, so, if we can get some runs very early in this one to rough him up, I think we can get into their bullpen rather early.

It's time for the Sox to cast aside the misfortunes at the Network Associates Colisseum and take advantage of Zito's lacking and continue their undefeated streak in the first game of the series. Because of such lacking on Zito's part, I'm feeling pretty confident about the game tomorrow night.

How are you feeling with regards to the opening game in the Oakland series?

If they play like the last two games, not good. They got their crap-ball out of their system though and with two wins. Should be the big league lineup tomorrow. We can either be like the rest of the league so far and hit Zito or let him find his groove.

chisoxfanatic
04-24-2005, 05:28 PM
I lost the thread this was in... so I can't respond to the person, but this is close enough. Is DH hurt too? If so, what's wrong with him? Someone just said he, Contreres, and AJ are hurt.

It was in the post game thread, but I did not hear anything from Hawk or DJ during today's broadcast.

Perhaps it was the reason we saw Cotts and Politte once again start things off in relief instead of Hermanson coming right in after El Duque.

I hope we can know more about this very soon...

gobears1987
04-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Well seeing how we no longer struggle at Comerica Park we should have no problem here. The old Sox sucked there, but we are a different team. Besides, we won our last game there last year thanks to Freddy, who will pitch there.

Bobbo35
04-24-2005, 05:32 PM
The sox definately need to go into the game with guns blazing. We need our "A" team lineup in there and a strong 7-8 inning run from JG. I feel a lot better going into Oakland than I did last year.

GO SOX!

Palehose13
04-24-2005, 05:33 PM
At the start of today's game, I realized that I had a new mindset when it ocmes to the Sox. They are going to win. The last time I have been this confident about a sports team was the '85 Bears. Now, I realize that it is still April and they will not go 158-4, but I just feel very confident every single game. I believe the reason for the confidence is because so many people are getting it done. Not one individual is carrying this team...it is an actual TEAM.

On the pre-game show with Rooney, Ozzie said that DH told him that he was ready to go today. I'm guessing that he was only going to use him if he absolutely needed him, but I would imagine that he will be available for the Oakland series.

MRKARNO
04-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Zito's been awful this year. I wouldnt worry too much about him. I worry more about our bullpen and the fact that this team hasnt been able to win in Oakland recently.

John Barrett
04-24-2005, 05:39 PM
oakland isn't oakland any more...... make way foe the next sheriff!:churrosarmy:

MIgrenade
04-24-2005, 05:39 PM
It would be nice if our 3-4-5 hitters would show up in force. We won't win if we are banking on the lower third and top two. It worked against KC but not real teams.

Banix12
04-24-2005, 05:45 PM
So far the sox have passed a couple big tests this season. They've beaten the Twins 4 out of 5, something we rarely did before. They've beaten the Tigers at comerica, something we've had trouble with. We've won series against every team in our own division.

Going to Oakland maybe the biggest test for this team so far, because as much trouble as we have had with other teams in our division, west coast trips have killed us for the last 5 years or so. I'm looking forward to seeing this series.

SOXSINCE'70
04-24-2005, 05:45 PM
The real matchup's Tuesday night.Beuhrle (3-1) goes
against Rich Harden's 2-0, 0.44 ERA.The Sox have played
horrendously in Oakland the last 4 years.Time to change that.

It's time to kick butt!!:angry: :angry:

Ol' No. 2
04-24-2005, 05:46 PM
It would be nice if our 3-4-5 hitters would show up in force. We won't win if we are banking on the lower third and top two. It worked against KC but not real teams.Oakland has no offense this year. They're second to last in the AL, just barely ahead of the Royals. The Sox won't need a lot of offense to win these three games. The mojo is definately different this year. They'll be fine in Oakland.

jabrch
04-24-2005, 06:07 PM
The Oakland team is TERRIBLE. Their pen is hurting a bit. Their starters have been iffy (Blanton and Harden good, the rest - not so good.

Buehrle should beat this team on Tuesday - they have no decent RH power hitters. Saarloos is terrible - that's a good shot for Freddy on Wednesday. Monday is JG vs Zito. Zito has had a hard time getting out of the first few innings (when the Sox have been effective) so I think we should be able to hang around.

I'm not predicting a sweep, but 2 of 3 is fairly realistic - which is great for a road series, and would make it 5 of 6 on the roadtrip.

SoxFan48
04-24-2005, 06:14 PM
The real matchup's Tuesday night.Beuhrle (3-1) goes
against Rich Harden's 2-0, 0.44 ERA.The Sox have played
horrendously in Oakland the last 4 years.Time to change that.

It's time to kick butt!!:angry: :angry:

The two best pitchers in the AL squaring off.

Jurr
04-24-2005, 06:23 PM
The Sox have been losing to Oakland because of their inability to get the ball down. Network Assoc. Coliseum is a notoriously big park, and some of the hard fly balls that the Sox hitters pulled out of USCF don't go out in Oakland. The Sox have lost many 3-2 and 5-4 ballgames in that park, and that is a trend that the new club has overridden. Now, we're going to see close games, no doubt. AJ apparently got a blood blister under his toenail due to the trauma of the hit he took there last night, as Hawk and DJ said AJ and Herm were drilling through the nail last night to relieve the pressure. I hope AJ's back by Tuesday or Wednesday. If he plays tomorrow night, he's tougher than I thought.

If the boys can keep pitching great and getting those runs off of singles and sac flies, they're going to have no problem in Oakland. I expect them to win 2 of 3.

jordan23ventura
04-24-2005, 06:45 PM
I have to go with Garland in game one and I have to go with Contreras in game three (assuming he will pitch). Buerhle vs. Harden I don't know so much about because although I think Buerhle will throw a good game, will the Sox be good enough for three or four runs? Either way, I say we see a ten game winning streak and improve to 18-4. Let's run away with this thing early.

soxwon
04-24-2005, 06:49 PM
A SWEEP- no one will beat us.

chisoxfanatic
04-24-2005, 07:20 PM
I have to go with Contreras in game three (assuming he will pitch)

Don't forget about Freddy. :cool:

fquaye149
04-24-2005, 07:22 PM
the Oakland series will be decided by the pitching staff.

Buerhle is always good about pitching againt Oakland, but his team has a big tendency to let him down. He's had 1-0 losses to Oakland, had games blown by Koch, etc. He has won games against them, though -- even games where he started against Zito, which is the matchup we usually see. .

your what hurts?

elrod
04-24-2005, 08:58 PM
DH had a sore back, which is why he sat out yesterday. I assume the same was the case today.

I'm never confident about Oakland. We went into Oakland at 15-7 in 2002 and flopped. Oakland was much better then, but we've clearly been spooked by the place since.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Well I wouldn't call it "confident," but I definitely feel a whole lot better about our chances this week in Oakland than back in 2001 when Manuel had Clayton and Ramirez batting #8 and #9 and a certain somebody was too busy watching Meet the Parents in the clubhouse to take some extra B.P.

:hitless
"Hey, lots of guys watch Meet the Parents and wear sneakers during the game, too. You start kicking guys off the team for that and there is gonna be a lots of empty clubhouses!"

:von
"Now tell me again why they let me go?"

Brian26
04-24-2005, 09:11 PM
AJ apparently got a blood blister under his toenail due to the trauma of the hit he took there last night, as Hawk and DJ said AJ and Herm were drilling through the nail last night to relieve the pressure.

That was some classic commentary. DJ was accusing Hawk of drinking vodka and OJ back in the day, and Hawk described the incredibly scientific art of unbending a paper clip, lighting it with a match, and sticking it through his toenail whenever he got blisters.

:hawk

"DJ, I didn't need vodka and orange juice. That paper clip just slid through there...but watch out, because it would shoot up to the ceiling!"

gobears1987
04-24-2005, 09:15 PM
AJ apparently got a blood blister under his toenail due to the trauma of the hit he took there last night, as Hawk and DJ said AJ and Herm were drilling through the nail last night to relieve the pressure. I hope AJ's back by Tuesday or Wednesday. If he plays tomorrow night, he's tougher than I thought.

Even if AJ is 100% ready, he won't start tomorrow. Zito has AJ's number and starting him would not be smart. Let AJ go Tuesday and Wednesday.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-24-2005, 09:31 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this.....but for this series ONLY, with the big park and Paulie struggling, how about DH'ing Willie against a tough Righty? Bat Willie second and Iguchi third. Go ahead everyone, unleash your fury on me for this thought. Back to the original question, with Garland going I feel confident.

kevingrt
04-24-2005, 09:48 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this.....but for this series ONLY, with the big park and Paulie struggling, how about DH'ing Willie against a tough Righty? Bat Willie second and Iguchi third. Go ahead everyone, unleash your fury on me for this thought. Back to the original question, with Garland going I feel confident.

Dude that would not be a bad idea at all. PK probably wouldn't mind a day off considering he hasn't be hitting the ball that well. Think of the speed we could get on the base paths. And all are fairly good contact hitters. Great idea Fake Chet Lemon, I don't think it will happen, but good idea.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Dude that would not be a bad idea at all. PK probably wouldn't mind a day off considering he hasn't be hitting the ball that well. Think of the speed we could get on the base paths. And all are fairly good contact hitters. Great idea Fake Chet Lemon, I don't think it will happen, but good idea.

Whew....I feel much better. I was afraid I was going to get cut into pieces on this board by everyone for that one. Thanks :D: !

batmanZoSo
04-24-2005, 09:55 PM

I wouldn't mind "resting" Konerko against Hardo on Tuesday. He's already in a funk, if he goes 0-4 against a tough righty it could be grand funk railroad until the middle of May. :o:

Maximo
04-25-2005, 08:52 AM
The Sox starting rotation sets up nicely for the series in Oakland. Garland....Buerhle.....Garcia. They have a good chance to finish off a great road trip.

halfpricemonday
04-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Don't forget about Freddy. :cool:

Especially in the series' only matinee. Maybe he's not perfect in day games anymore, but I'll take any "day game" voodoo he can muster up.

Plus, did you see the Oakland get nothing from runners at the corners without no outs last night? It was shades of the bad old days with the Sox. If the Sox make the most of the ample opportunities I think the A's will give them, I think we'll have another series win.