PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4/24/05 Post Game Thread: How do you spell 3-game Sweep?

chisoxfanatic
04-24-2005, 05:08 PM
Much thanks to Pablo Ozuna for his clutch 2-out, pinch-hit, game-winning RBI liner down the first base line in the top of the 8th!!!

Bring out the brooms, Sox fans!!! :supernana:

:hawk
"15-4...Yeesssss!"

gobears1987
04-24-2005, 05:10 PM
that was awesome
:sweep

soltrain21
15-4...this is CRAZY!

I hope the Twins got a good look at the last 2 games. We are doing what they have been doing the last couple of years.

BOOYA! :supernana:

Charno
Clutch!

HomeFish
There's no better cure for a slow, sleepy Sunday afternoon than the last two innings of that game.

You know, Contreras, Hermanson, and AJ are all injured, but after the comeback today, bring on Oakland.

C-Dawg
Awesome!! Let's go get 'em in Oakland now!

DoggPhood
Okay guys, I gotta hit the showers after this one...

Rocklive99
04-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Sweep, like I said in the thread, we're witnessing White Sox history folks.

Now, bring on the Wizards!

Fake Chet Lemon
Way to show some KILLER INSTINCT, three straight series sweeps! And on a game we rested a lot of guys in preparation for a West Coast flight, and a day game after a night game. And the Twins were "swept" by the Tigers :D: .

Brian26
This is just so frickin' incredible it's almost unbelievable. This team will find ways to win no matter what. The key is that we've been in just about every single game (except that series ender in Cleveland).

NSSoxFan
How sweep it is.

Go Sox Go! Keep it going.

:gulp:

batmanZoSo
04-24-2005, 05:12 PM
DOMO ARIGOTO SHINGO TAKATSU!

darklord23
first sweep of the season this feels good, i love these nail bitters gets intense

WikdChiSoxFan
How bout a moment of silence for the death of Smokin' Joe Crede's hit streak...

ok...thanks..

krohnjw
I thought this one was over for sure with the way we were hitting. Great win!

Jjav829
That was fun! Thank you, Pablo Ozuna! Now go Bulls! :bandance: :bandance: :gulp: :bandance:

PicktoCLick72
Ugly ugly game but great perseverance and clutch hitting. A new hero each day. Today it was Ozuna's turn. WOw this is fun.

Frater Perdurabo
GREAT WIN!

The real test begins tomorrow, though.

MRKARNO
04-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Four games up on Minny only 19 games in:D:

gobears1987
2 nice wins without a single HR

SoxWillWin
Just like yesterday, a lot to complain about especially with the 4 E's, but I'm not going to complain for a 15 - 4 record. Like I said in the Game thread There is definately no QUIT in this team.

BigEdWalsh
04-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Well, for my 1000th post:

:winner

WOOOO HOOO!!!

Ozuna! Ozuna!! :bandance:

:supernana: :) :supernana:

The Racehorse
OK, I have a little down time this evening, so I'm going to watch BBTN... Lord have mercy on anyone who says the SOX "are winning ugly". :supernana:

chisoxfanatic
Hawk just said that this was the first time the Sox have won a game where they committed 4 errors since 2001 against the Brewers. Not to take away from the victory, but it's better to have defensive lapses (getting them out of your system) against teams like Kansas City. The Sox have been great on the field all year round minus a few blemishes here and there.

I think a game like this really displays how much this team has changed over the course of this offseason. Both mentally and mechanically, this team is MUCH better than in year's past.

You can cue the McDonalds music now, because I'M LOVIN IT!

mjmcend
04-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Man this is sure a lot of fun.

SoxFan48
That was fun and sloppy--too many walks and way too many errors. But you take wins in whatever package they arrive--today the package was named Pablo Ozuna.

El Duque has had three sloppy starts in a row--watch closely.

owensmouth
Talk about pulling one out of yer arse!!

Brian26
Did Bill Melton somehow get locked in Mark Giangreco's home tanning bed?

Brian26
04-24-2005, 05:16 PM

He's getting in trouble, but he's also pitching out of jams by making the right pitches when it counts...something that comes with tons of experience. What a great pickup by KW.

Chisox003
04-24-2005, 05:17 PM
When your starting lineup consists of Ross Gload, Willie Harris, Timo Perez, and Chris Widger, along with 4 errors and 6 walks by your starting pitcher, and you still get the W, something is going right....

Off to Oakland! Woo Hoo! :gulp:

S05X

SoxWillWin
04-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Talk about pulling one out of yer arse!!

I don't know where they pulled this one out from, but we'll take it. Now we need to get the bats going again in oakland. Let's hope JG feels damn good tomorrow. :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

PicktoCLick72
JOe Crede shouldd be traded after he ccouldn't keep his hitting streak going.

VA_GoGoSox
:ozzie

We won another [bleeping] game!!!

SoxWillWin
04-24-2005, 05:19 PM
JOe Crede shouldd be traded after he ccouldn't keep his hitting streak going.

Not to mention the throwing error.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Is a 16-4 start realistic? YES!!!

Iron Dragon
04-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Well, back to Earth for Crede. But he's still over .300. And the Sox still won and are 15-4. Can't beat that.

ElDuque26
now comes the toughest pitching we have seen so far(minus Santana) hopefully Garland can give the bullpen, who has done an extraordinary job over the last 2 days, a bit of a breather...thats three straight sweeps if anyone is counting!:supernana:

Jurr
That was fun and sloppy--too many walks and way too many errors. But you take wins in whatever package they arrive--today the package was named Pablo Ozuna.

El Duque has never been a pitcher that has just blown away his competition. He gets himself into trouble because he's not a guy with a plus fastball. His breaking pitches are NASTY and they keep guys off balance. However, when he is walking a lot of players and getting hit, he makes a big pitch to get out of it.

Today, he had only given up one run and threw the right pitch at the right time to get out of the bases loaded jam. Unfortunately, he had an error plate the run. It's cool. El Duque has always won this way. It's all we can expect from our fourth starter...keep us in games. He's done that and more.

popilius
YYYYYESSSSS!

The bench comes through!

chidonez
04-24-2005, 05:22 PM
I can't wait to see the boys take on the A's. I never like trips to the west coast, but this time I feel a little better...

The Racehorse
Fifteen and Four, Yes!
SOX Win SOX Win SOX Win, Yes!
Fifteen and Four, Yes!

:)

voodoochile
:sweep<-----------------For the serfs

:sweep<-----------------For the kitties

:sweep<-----------------For the twinkies

7 in a row what a concept...

:winner

:supernana::supernana::supernana:

Frater Perdurabo
04-24-2005, 05:24 PM
When your starting lineup consists of Ross Gload, Willie Harris, Timo Perez, and Chris Widger, along with 4 errors and 6 walks by your starting pitcher, and you still get the W, something is going right....

In years prior, today's lineup would be derided as a "Jerry Manuel Sunday getaway day special." But even though the "B" squad played a "C" game, they still won today (against an admittedly inferior opponent). That says a lot about the team as a whole, for in years prior, today's game would have been a 3-1 loss.

The offense isn't firing on all cylinders. The starting rotation hasn't reached it's potential, either. The Sox best hitter (Frank) remains out of the lineup. Yet the Sox keep winning.

:bandance::supernana::bandance:

Bobbo35
This is special because we have guys coming in off the bench making a difference when it was needed. Something that we have not been able to do in the past. That's a White Sox Winner and a 3-game sweep! Yessss!

Go Sox! :dtroll:

SouthSide4Life
Arow yet again. he comin up big when we need him. also a big thanks to cliff. despite the 1 run he threw solid

minastirith67
04-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Best start ever!!!!!!!!

Winning never gets old...I'm lovin' it! (sorry mcdonalds)

nebraskasox
04-24-2005, 05:26 PM

Off to Oakland! Woo Hoo! :gulp:

S05X

This post says it all. Hopefully, we'll start hitting again for the Oakland series. We'll find out how mentally tough this team is in Oakland. KC is a weak team & we were just good enough to take advantage. The competition gets tougher.

shoota
04-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Nice game by Ozuna driving in the winning run as a pinch hitter and for making a nice defensive stop in the ninth while playing first base for the first time in his career. Nice game by Rowand also for driving in the tying run on a two out hit.

I've been liking what I've been seeing from Willie Harris this year, except for his error today. With two outs in the fifth, and a 2-1 Sox lead, Willie Harris fielded a ground ball but muffed the transfer from his glove to his hand, allowing the tying run to score.

Joe Crede's nice little mini-streak ended today, but every comet burns out eventually. Did Crede's throwing error lead to a KC run?

SoxWillWin
04-24-2005, 05:30 PM
I'm tellin ya the adrenaline is flowing now......2 games in a row, that for all intents and purposes should have been losses, turn out to be W's. I know the sox have had good starts in the past, but nothing like this. Even though we still have a lot of season left, just the heart and attitude that this team is showing is going to get them through some tough times. Unfortunately the cubs won so no press for the sox tomorrow.

Cubs beat Pittsburgh.
(The other team extends winning streak to seven, and btw still have best record in baseball)

hose
04-24-2005, 05:37 PM
In years prior, today's lineup would be derided as a "Jerry Manuel Sunday getaway day special." But even though the "B" squad played a "C" game, they still won today (against an admittedly inferior opponent). That says a lot about the team as a whole, for in years prior, today's game would have been a 3-1 loss.

The offense isn't firing on all cylinders. The starting rotation hasn't reached it's potential, either. The Sox best hitter (Frank) remains out of the lineup. Yet the Sox keep winning.

:bandance::supernana::bandance:

good post Frat.

TomParrish79
04-24-2005, 05:51 PM
Thought we might have let this one get away, until Aaron and Ozuna came up big in the 8th.

Great win

SoxxoS
04-24-2005, 06:27 PM
I'm tellin ya the adrenaline is flowing now......2 games in a row, that for all intents and purposes should have been losses, turn out to be W's. I know the sox have had good starts in the past, but nothing like this. Even though we still have a lot of season left, just the heart and attitude that this team is showing is going to get them through some tough times. Unfortunately the cubs won so no press for the sox tomorrow.

Cubs beat Pittsburgh.
(The other team extends winning streak to seven, and btw still have best record in baseball)

Or...

Nomar goes to bathroom without cathater
Sox win and off to best start in history.

A. Cavatica
04-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Your 2005 White Sox motto...

"Winning Effortlessly"

kojak
04-24-2005, 07:52 PM
Nice to see a solid Shingo performance today.
It is almost like he was saying
"All your base are belong to us!"

chisoxfanatic
04-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Your 2005 White Sox motto...

"Winning Effortlessly"

I wouldn't call it effortless, but instead "creating opportunities."

OzzieFan
04-24-2005, 08:09 PM
It was nice to see the bullpen come through... I still think Orlando gave up tooo many walks.. But we still won

Lip Man 1
04-24-2005, 08:36 PM
If they can overcome the West Coast problem that they have had since the start of the 2001 season, this could be a tremendous regular season for them.

Lip

surfdudes
04-24-2005, 08:45 PM
Garland, Buerle, and Garcia will pitch against Oakland......
What more do you want?
After yesterdays AJ/Marte "play at the plate fall on the seat of your pants" game saver, and todays "dust off Pablo Osuna game winner", I am expecting nothing less than a Ross Gload in the park home run or Pauly K stealing home....
Or maybe I'll just sit back and enjoy it while it lasts............

elrod
04-24-2005, 08:46 PM
I officially declare the 2005 White Sox the No Business Sox because they win when they have no business winning. Four errors, six walks, a B-team lineup...and we STILL win! Wow! We had NO BUSINESS winning that one.

Lip Man 1
04-24-2005, 08:51 PM
'No Business' Sox...I actually like that!

Lip

Ol' No. 2
04-24-2005, 08:52 PM
If they can overcome the West Coast problem that they have had since the start of the 2001 season, this could be a tremendous regular season for them.

LipThe "West Coast problem" has always been mental. I think Ozzie's changed their outlook to the point where this isn't going to be a problem anymore. And after the way they've been playing, they've got to think they can beat anybody.

shaunburnette
04-24-2005, 08:52 PM
It would be nice to have a good trip to Oakland for the 1st time I can remember. I will be at the game Tuesday night for Buehrle and Hardin. Been waiting for that date since I moved out here.

:supernana:

balke
04-24-2005, 08:56 PM
I officially declare the 2005 White Sox the No Business Sox because they win when they have no business winning. Four errors, six walks, a B-team lineup...and we STILL win! Wow! We had NO BUSINESS winning that one.

My guess... that's what Pitching does? And that's why pitching is more than ratios and MPH. The Cubans have had a knack for getting themselves out of tough situations all season to this point (even the situations of their own creation). By the time we got to Willie's bobble, the score was merely 3-2. It was a one run game, and they got out of a bases loaded jam allowing one run, and should've allowed none. That's still good baseball, good pitching. A single makes that 2 runs. The bullpen made sure no more runners crossed the plate.

I love this team much more than I anticipated in the offseason. I thought this was a winning ball club, but thought I'd be upset by the low scoring. So far, I've decided speed and pitching is much more fun. So is winning.

markopat
04-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Wow this is Fun!

GO SOX!

:dtroll: :supernana:

SouthSideHitman
04-24-2005, 09:14 PM
It's funny, it's almost a letdown. I've always counted on the Sox to bring some measure of dissapointment/reality-checking into my life and having a week without any losses has left me somewhat adrift. You can't always feel good about your team, can you?

Jeeze, things could get really ugly when PK, Everett, AJ and Rowand start smashing the ball. And don't even mention the Big Hurt returning.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-24-2005, 09:21 PM
I was puzzled when Ozzie pinch hit with Dye. I thought Iguchi was the obvious choice in that situation. Why pinch hit Dye in any situation right now to be honest? Bottom line is everything worked out, and maybe Dye can right himself these next three days in familiar territory for him. What a great time to slay that West Coast hex, bring em on!

SOXPHILE
04-24-2005, 10:10 PM
Or...

Nomar goes to bathroom without cathater
Sox win and off to best start in history.

You got that right ! Actually, in tommorrow's paper, there is absolutely NO reason for the Cubs game to be page 1 material. It should be completely dominated by the White Sox & Bulls games coverage. Simply put- the Sox have won their 7th straight, have the best record in baseball, and lead the division by 4 games now. The Bulls have won their first playoff game in 7 years. I can't possibly see how the Cubs would warrant any front page story tommorrow, just because they've strung together a 1 game winning streak to power their record all the way up to .500. Then again, with the Tribune, nothing should surprise me.

shoota
04-24-2005, 10:18 PM
By the time we got to Willie's bobble, the score was merely 3-2. It was a one run game, and they got out of a bases loaded jam allowing one run, and should've allowed none. That's still good baseball, good pitching. A single makes that 2 runs. The bullpen made sure no more runners crossed the plate.

Yes, it was a one-run game at the point of Harris's error, but I believe the score was 2-1 Sox. It was our bullpen that gave up the third KC run on a solo home run off of Politte. Politte said he could go one inning, and he made true on his word, not allowing a run in his first inning.

shoota
04-24-2005, 10:21 PM
You got that right ! Actually, in tommorrow's paper, there is absolutely NO reason for the Cubs game to be page 1 material. It should be completely dominated by the White Sox & Bulls games coverage. Simply put- the Sox have won their 7th straight, have the best record in baseball, and lead the division by 4 games now. The Bulls have won their first playoff game in 7 years. I can't possibly see how the Cubs would warrant any front page story tommorrow, just because they've strung together a 1 game winning streak to power their record all the way up to .500. Then again, with the Tribune, nothing should surprise me.

The day after the Bulls clinched a playoff berth, they dominated the front page of the Cubune, with the Sox win above that on a top page banner, and the Cubs sneaking on the right hand side of the page with their article starting above the fold. I'm predicting the same coverage for tomorrow.

balke
04-24-2005, 10:26 PM
Yes, it was a one-run game at the point of Harris's error, but I believe the score was 2-1 Sox. It was our bullpen that gave up the third KC run on a solo home run off of Politte. Politte said he could go one inning, and he made true on his word, not allowing a run in his first inning.

You're right, my bad. But still, my point stands. The pitchers put runners on, they get bit in the ars. If that shot to Crede was a K, or a soft pop-out, there is no worry about a tough play being made. Had Hunter K'd, or popped out there's no run. MB didn't stop the bleeding.

kojak
04-24-2005, 11:03 PM
It's funny, it's almost a letdown. I've always counted on the Sox to bring some measure of dissapointment/reality-checking into my life and having a week without any losses has left me somewhat adrift. You can't always feel good about your team, can you?

Jeeze, things could get really ugly when PK, Everett, AJ and Rowand start smashing the ball. And don't even mention the Big Hurt returning.

It's almost like a guilty pleasure, isn't it?!?!

kojak
04-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Food for thought:

Sox lost on the first 2 Thursdays of the season, then won last Thursday.

Sox lost on the first 2 Sundays of the season, then .......

...to finish my thought: WIN THIS SUNDAY!! :D:

kojak
04-24-2005, 11:10 PM
And the old problem with the Left Coast, you can put the nail in that old coffin. We took care of that by losing Lee, Maggs, Manos and Big Frank- oh, and Mike Jackson.

The new crew really doesn't have the burden of that old mess on their minds...

Lip Man 1
04-24-2005, 11:34 PM
No.2:

I agree with you on the 'mental' part. There is absolutely no reason to basically lose what, 85% of your games to Seattle, Anaheim and Oakland for the past four years.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
04-24-2005, 11:39 PM
No.2:

I agree with you on the 'mental' part. There is absolutely no reason to basically lose what, 85% of your games to Seattle, Anaheim and Oakland for the past four years.

LipIIRC, they weren't nearly as bad in Seattle and Anaheim as Oakland. With the number of new faces who aren't carrying that baggage, I think they may finally shake it off. Oakland certainly doesn't have the quality team they have in past years, either. Plus, it's just a 3 game set and not a long West Coast road trip this time. Taking at least 2 of 3 in Oakland could generate serious momentum.

elrod
04-25-2005, 12:08 AM
If we take two out of three then we are legit. I've said it before the KC series and I say it now. If we get pummeled out in Oakland again then this whole run is a mirage. At some point good teams beat other good teams in hostile places. We took care of Minnesota, who we evened up with head-to-head last year, but the horror of Oaktown is on another level. Win there now and nothing will stop us.

jabrch
04-25-2005, 12:17 AM
If we get pummeled out in Oakland again then this whole run is a mirage. the horror of Oaktown is on another level. Win there now and nothing will stop us.

So you are saying that a three game series now in Oakland is more important than the first 19 games we have played, including games against our division rivals... That's silly. We are 4 of 5 vs Minnesota, including a 3 game series in the Baggydome. That's far more important to me than a roady in Oakland. I'd love to win the series. I'd love 2 of 3. But if we win 1 of 3, on the road, that's not the end of the world. It doesn't supercede all the good that this club has done in the 19 games so far. It doesn't devalue the 15-4 start. And winning 2 of 3, or even sweeping them, doesn't make us any more legit than the 15-4 start already has.

santo=dorf
04-25-2005, 12:21 AM
IIRC, they weren't nearly as bad in Seattle and Anaheim as Oakland. With the number of new faces who aren't carrying that baggage, I think they may finally shake it off. Oakland certainly doesn't have the quality team they have in past years, either. Plus, it's just a 3 game set and not a long West Coast road trip this time. Taking at least 2 of 3 in Oakland could generate serious momentum.

It's mostly Oakland and Anaheim, but this year it is different because it is not a dreaded long West Coast road trip. We play Oakland, then we come right back. :supernana:

seanpmurphy
04-25-2005, 12:23 AM
Sweep, like I said in the thread, we're witnessing White Sox history folks.

Now, bring on the Wizards!

Damn right. Another fan who predicted a sweep. And someone thought I had jinxed the Sox with my own prediction of 3-0. Tsk tsk!

Go Sox
and
GO BULLS

seanpmurphy
04-25-2005, 12:29 AM

DUDE! THIS IS KERRY WOOD'S FIRST WIN! OMFG!! IT'S AMAAAAAAAAAZING

CUBS FRONT PAGE OVER THE BULLS EVEN!

:whiner:

JoseCanseco6969
04-25-2005, 12:35 AM
not to be a negative jerk here, but did anyone get a little nervous with all the bench players starting but Ozuna, who ended up winning the game?? Harris at 2b, Timo at RF, Gload at 1st and Widger at C.
we obviously won but i didnt like seeing 3 of the 4 starters with errors.
Harris error
Widger error
Timo error

But great win regardless. Just curious why start 4 backups in the same game???

seanpmurphy
04-25-2005, 12:40 AM
not to be a negative jerk here, but did anyone get a little nervous with all the bench players starting but Ozuna, who ended up winning the game?? Harris at 2b, Timo at RF, Gload at 1st and Widger at C.
we obviously won but i didnt like seeing 3 of the 4 starters with errors.
Harris error
Widger error
Timo error

I don't want to try and sound all intelligent and stuff but my guess is that we had already won the series and Ozzie wanted to give the bench players some starting time to get them into the action.

4 errors in one game is uncalled for though. I'm just offering up my own 2 cents. I still believe Ozzie knows what he's doing. Hey, we eeked out a win, let's take it :) Bad days happen to all of us!

SOX ADDICT '73
04-25-2005, 12:40 AM
Anyone know if this is the biggest division lead we've had since the 2000 season? HomeFish has been saying we haven't led by 3 or more games since the "Paniagua Incident" in 2003. But prior to that, what was our biggest lead that season?

jabrch
04-25-2005, 12:41 AM

Manuel left one of his classic "Sunday Lineups" lying around - and Ozzie tried it!

doublem23
04-25-2005, 12:42 AM
This is wholly incredible. Enjoy it while it lasts. :)

elrod
04-25-2005, 12:55 AM
So you are saying that a three game series now in Oakland is more important than the first 19 games we have played, including games against our division rivals... That's silly. We are 4 of 5 vs Minnesota, including a 3 game series in the Baggydome. That's far more important to me than a roady in Oakland. I'd love to win the series. I'd love 2 of 3. But if we win 1 of 3, on the road, that's not the end of the world. It doesn't supercede all the good that this club has done in the 19 games so far. It doesn't devalue the 15-4 start. And winning 2 of 3, or even sweeping them, doesn't make us any more legit than the 15-4 start already has.

Basically, yes. I care more about the team going forward then sitting back on our accomplishments up to now. Take a look at the great starts by teams in the past and notice how many of them falter. Remember KC with that 18-3 start in 2003? They were back to .500 by the end of May. The difference between turning a great start into a great season, and petering out, is mental (and somtimes injuries). If the guys have confidence that they can win AND that they can bounce back after a tough loss then they will do great. But if they falter against a division rival or in a spooked place like Oakland then it creates doubts and sends the team downward. Everybody who follows the White Sox knows how difficult Oakland has been to us. It was exactly the site that turned our 15-7 start in 2002 into mediocrity. If we get shelled there again then we could easily see this thing spiral downward like in 2002. But if we do well there, taking 2 out of 3, then these guys will really believe that something is different. There won't be anymore spooked stadiums or dreaded West Coast trips. This series is HUGE.

seanpmurphy
04-25-2005, 01:01 AM
Yeah but a lot of the Sox players like Pod, Iguchi, and AJ probably don't care about being "spooked" about playing at Oakland, and Dye will feel right back at home. I don't know, I don't believe in junk like this, but maybe I'm wrong. We'll just have to see and cheer them on no matter what.

slavko
04-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Did Bill Melton somehow get locked in Mark Giangreco's home tanning bed?Thank you. It must be something the Comcast studio is doing, because they are the only channel with the problem. And I was blaming our new plasma TV. All the Caucasians shot by the studio cameras have the problem.

elrod
04-25-2005, 01:03 AM
I can't think of one logical reason why this team has done relatively well in New York and Boston over the last four years, but terribly in Oakland and Anaheim. It must be mental. Hopefully the new blood will change it.

elrod
04-25-2005, 01:04 AM
Thank you. It must be something the Comcast studio is doing, because they are the only channel with the problem. And I was blaming our new plasma TV. All the Caucasians shot by the studio cameras have the problem.

ON a related note, my wife noted on Sportscenter that Mel Kiper's face was a completely different hue than his hands. Makeup job run amok.

TheBull19
04-25-2005, 01:13 AM
Take a look at the great starts by teams in the past and notice how many of them falter. Remember KC with that 18-3 start in 2003? They were back to .500 by the end of May. The difference between turning a great start into a great season, and petering out, is mental (and somtimes injuries).

Either that or the difference between Buerhle/Garcia/Hernandez/Garland and Contreras vs May/George/Runelvys/Snyder and Jose Lima.

Lip Man 1
04-25-2005, 01:44 AM
Sox 73:

Yes this is their largest lead since the close of the 2000 season.

Lip

SOX ADDICT '73
04-25-2005, 01:49 AM
Sox 73:

Lip
Lip, somehow I knew it would be you coming through for me. Thanks!

It feels weird to have this much breathing room for a change, doesn't it?

elrod
04-25-2005, 01:51 AM
Either that or the difference between Buerhle/Garcia/Hernandez/Garland and Contreras vs May/George/Runelvys/Snyder and Jose Lima.

Injuries played a big role in the collapse of the 2003 Royals pitching staff. May was the only starter to stay healthy all year - and he was the #5. The starting rotation in April was Runelvys, Affeldt, Ascencio, George and May. Runelvys missed two months between May and July. Lima filled out the rotation starting in June and did great. Affeldt was transferred to the pen and was replaced by Snyder, who excelled most of the year. Kyle Snyder only pitched until August 5, after which he never threw again. In his last game, against the White Sox, he was removed for "shoulder tightness". He said at the time that he'd been bothered by it for eight weeks. That explains his balooned ERA to 5.17 at that point. Ascencio never pitched again after May 15. He had bone chips removed and then they discovered a torn ligament in the elbow. And Chris George never pitched again after July 10 - I don't know if injuries were to blame for his horrendous 7.11 ERA. Three of the five starters got hurt for extended periods of time, with each of them pitching poorly for several outings while injuried before giving it up. Their replacements often did surprisingly well, compiling good W-L records. But the Royals could never really depend on them the way they could in April, when Runelvys was lights out, Ascencio was tough, and Snyder was solid.

So how does this compare to our rotation? Well, ours is much more experienced, so it's likely that El Duque and Buehrle and Garcia will continue pitching well. And it's very possible that Garland has permanently turned a corner. Contreras is a mystery. But the real issue is health. Suppose we lose two or three of the starting five for an extended period. Could B-Mac or Hermanson or somebody else step in and carry the load? Especially if our hitting stays soft? Maybe, but that's the real question going forward.

fquaye149
04-25-2005, 04:46 AM
Injuries played a big role in the collapse of the 2003 Royals pitching staff. May was the only starter to stay healthy all year - and he was the #5. The starting rotation in April was Runelvys, Affeldt, Ascencio, George and May. Runelvys missed two months between May and July. Lima filled out the rotation starting in June and did great. Affeldt was transferred to the pen and was replaced by Snyder, who excelled most of the year. Kyle Snyder only pitched until August 5, after which he never threw again. In his last game, against the White Sox, he was removed for "shoulder tightness". He said at the time that he'd been bothered by it for eight weeks. That explains his balooned ERA to 5.17 at that point. Ascencio never pitched again after May 15. He had bone chips removed and then they discovered a torn ligament in the elbow. And Chris George never pitched again after July 10 - I don't know if injuries were to blame for his horrendous 7.11 ERA. Three of the five starters got hurt for extended periods of time, with each of them pitching poorly for several outings while injuried before giving it up. Their replacements often did surprisingly well, compiling good W-L records. But the Royals could never really depend on them the way they could in April, when Runelvys was lights out, Ascencio was tough, and Snyder was solid.

So how does this compare to our rotation? Well, ours is much more experienced, so it's likely that El Duque and Buehrle and Garcia will continue pitching well. And it's very possible that Garland has permanently turned a corner. Contreras is a mystery. But the real issue is health. Suppose we lose two or three of the starting five for an extended period. Could B-Mac or Hermanson or somebody else step in and carry the load? Especially if our hitting stays soft? Maybe, but that's the real question going forward.

WOW. That is the longest and most ambivalent response i can imagine to the question of whose rotation is better: 2005 sox or 2002 royals.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to compare a few young pitchers having career MONTHS to a rotation where the 5th starter has consistently won 12 games for 3 years

SSN721
04-25-2005, 07:50 AM

I would like you to name a team that wouldnt tank it after losing 2-3 of their starting rotation for an extended period. I dont know many teams in baseball that can cover a scenario like that. And to change the subject great win yesterday. Cant ask for more from a lineup where your bench is playing the whole game. The 4 errors are pretty much inexcusable, but hey, I think that is more of an anomoly, I wouldnt expect that lineup to do that again. And we got the win, so the hell with it. I am just enjoying this, whether they bring their A game, or their C game, this team just wins.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-25-2005, 09:25 AM
If we take two out of three then we are legit. I've said it before the KC series and I say it now. If we get pummeled out in Oakland again then this whole run is a mirage. At some point good teams beat other good teams in hostile places. We took care of Minnesota, who we evened up with head-to-head last year, but the horror of Oaktown is on another level. Win there now and nothing will stop us.

Come on. Even if we win just one, 6-2 on a roadtrip isn't legit????

voodoochile
04-25-2005, 10:21 AM
Sox 73:

Lip

And the Twinkies get to play TWO doubleheaders later this season to make up the games the extra games they are currently back in the win column.

Tough enough just to win a single game, but to have to sweep doubleheaders just to stay pace adds a nice element of pressure to their season.

Frater Perdurabo
04-25-2005, 10:48 AM
And the Twinkies get to play TWO doubleheaders later this season to make up the games the extra games they are currently back in the win column.

Tough enough just to win a single game, but to have to sweep doubleheaders just to stay pace adds a nice element of pressure to their season.

This also will put pressure on the Twins pitching staff. :bandance:

anewman35
04-25-2005, 11:01 AM

You're wrong on this, actually (and I wish you weren't). The Saturday snow-out is being made up today, on what was originally an off-day. The Sunday snow-out will be a doubleheader later in the season.

elrod
04-25-2005, 11:15 AM
Come on. Even if we win just one, 6-2 on a roadtrip isn't legit????

The problem isn't Oakland per se, but what Oakland tends to do to us in the immediate aftermath. In 2002 and last year we went into Oakland playing decently, then really faltered after getting beaten there.

2004: We were 29-20 on June 1 when we landed in Oakland. After dropping two heartbreakers we went on a skid of mediocrity.

2003: At 14-11 we dropped two of three to Oakland at home, which started a drop that didn't bottom out until we hit 25-33. Two losses out of three in Oakland (a week after the home series) only contributed to the downfall only after we'd already started to skid. Then we turned it around and made a real pennant chase of it.

2002: At 15-7 we dropped three straight in Oakland. It was actually the Anaheim series that killed us, though (remember losing 19-0?) a week later. Despite a slight upsurge in Beantown in late May we ended up back to .500 by June 2.

2001: This was actually a reverse story, in a way. After dropping three straight in Oakland we went to Toronto, lost one more, then started the long rebound after the disastrous 14-29 start.

If we come home with a 6-2 road trip, but then start losing a bunch of games to crappy teams on the heels of an Oakland debacle then it's business as usual. If we take two of three then I'm confident we'll keep it up when we hit the homestand.

elrod
04-25-2005, 11:17 AM
WOW. That is the longest and most ambivalent response i can imagine to the question of whose rotation is better: 2005 sox or 2002 royals.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to compare a few young pitchers having career MONTHS to a rotation where the 5th starter has consistently won 12 games for 3 years

Simple: health. The 2003 Royals staff had what seemed "career months" because they were healthy. Now they're all ruined.

The Racehorse
04-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Tomatoes taste better when the SOX win. :cool:

:tomatoaward

fquaye149
04-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Simple: health. The 2003 Royals staff had what seemed "career months" because they were healthy. Now they're all ruined.

if you notice, young unproven pitchers have a habit of getting ruined. And all the Royals starters were young, unproven pitchers (pre lima of course).

Which one of our starters is either young or unproven or are we relying on having a career year?