PDA

View Full Version : Twins Finally Get Their Stadium

LincolnSquareOz
04-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Looks like they finally got their deal. An open-air stadium near the Target Center in downtown Minneapolis' warehouse district. $478MM stadium to be ready by 2009. Mr. Burns is putting up $125MM. This thing hangs on their state legislature approving the county tax increase.

This will be the kind of revenue stream I never wanted to see them have...

Feel free to move this to the rumor bin if necessary.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5365857.html

C-Dawg
04-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Hmmmphh. And this is a team that nearly would have been eliminated a few years ago if Bud Selig would have gotten his way.

Banix12
04-24-2005, 01:18 PM
No retractable dome or dome? As much as I like open air stadiums, I still think they need some sort of dome for early in the season and for late september and possible october playoff runs.

Then again let them freeze their butts off if they play in October.

dickallen15
04-24-2005, 01:52 PM
No retractable dome or dome? As much as I like open air stadiums, I still think they need some sort of dome for early in the season and for late september and possible october playoff runs.

Then again let them freeze their butts off if they play in October.

The people in Minnesota actually like the cold. They hate the dome. They much rather be freezing outside than sitting comfortably inside.

gobears1987
04-24-2005, 01:58 PM
No more blowers to create Twinkie HRs!

Charno
04-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Cool, I'm tired of looking at that dome. The Twins have to push this through quick, because there are a couple of big legal decisions coming up at the end of this year that will possibly make public funding of sports stadiums unconstitutional.

Rocklive99
04-24-2005, 03:59 PM
The good: No more of our defenders looking silly because of that stupid roof or them getting those cheap hits because of the turf

The bad: I thought they were getting contracted :D:

Fenway
04-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Hmmmphh. And this is a team that nearly would have been eliminated a few years ago if Bud Selig would have gotten his way.

I think all along that was a move intended to get a stadium built in Minneapolis.

RKMeibalane
04-24-2005, 04:58 PM
Good. I'm glad the Sox won't have to play on that oversized pool table anymore.

Ol' No. 2
04-24-2005, 05:02 PM
I think all along that was a move intended to get a stadium built in Minneapolis.Exactly. And they'll pull it out again in another year to wave at whichever balky legislature won't pony up the dough. But it's a bluff. No team will ever be contracted.

bigfoot
04-24-2005, 05:04 PM
Looks like they finally got their deal. An open-air stadium near the Target Center in downtown Minneapolis' warehouse district. $478MM stadium to be ready by 2009. Mr. Burns is putting up $125MM. This thing hangs on their state legislature approving the county tax increase.

This will be the kind of revenue stream I never wanted to see them have...

Feel free to move this to the rumor bin if necessary.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5365857.html

$125 million..... less tax abatements, the naming rights $, the PSL $, the sweetheart lease and concession aggreement$,.....
It will be interesting to see just how much $ comes out of Mr. Burns wallet.

Or I could be wrong.

DaveIsHere
04-24-2005, 08:02 PM
No crap, the need a dome or Retractable roof, can you imagine early April or May up there........simply horrible.....I cant wait to dethrone them this year

Brian26
04-24-2005, 08:07 PM
They absolutely need a retractable roof. That's going to be a nightmare in April to play up there.

GiveMeSox
04-24-2005, 08:21 PM
This was the proposal, with a retracatable roof. Looks similar to safeco field minus the color scheme.

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/future/twins806.jpg

JoseCanseco6969
04-24-2005, 08:36 PM
The people in Minnesota actually like the cold. They hate the dome. They much rather be freezing outside than sitting comfortably inside.

I agree with them. Who actually enjoys a dome?? I would also rather be there in the elements whether it be rain, snow, hot or cold weather. Props to them for getting it right this time!

Viva Medias B's
04-24-2005, 08:41 PM
An open air stadium would be good for the Vikings.

ma-gaga
04-24-2005, 10:01 PM
From what I understand this still has a long ways to go before it's approved. This certainly looks promising, but until the deal is voted on and approved, I'll remain skeptical. There's still a lot of hatred towards Mr. Pohlad and his shenanagans...

A 0.15% increase on the Hennepin County Tax = no STATE money, which is huge. The paper says, $0.03 on every $20 which is a nice PR bit. :cool: I'm impressed. It's straightforward, and no public referendum will be required. Its' a little more from my wallet, but this is almost exactly what I wanted/hoped for.

I'd love a roof as well, but that tacks an additional $100MM onto the project, which makes it unfeasible. It's too bad MLB won't contribute any of their "general discressionary funds" into stadium building like the NFL has. I mean them throwing in a minor chunk ($50MM) would really really help their image and get a number of these approved. It's too bad they are as shortsighted as many politicians are....

Now I have to hear about 'saving the children', and the 'millions for billionares' rhetoric which is bound to occur within the next few weeks. oh well. Some things never change.

:gulp:

SOX ADDICT '73
04-24-2005, 10:31 PM
They absolutely need a retractable roof. That's going to be a nightmare in April to play up there.
If their fans thought these last two snow-outs in Detroit were annoying...:?:

StillMissOzzie
04-24-2005, 11:56 PM
So what becomes of the HHH Metrodome? Will the Vi-queens still play there?

Baseball outdoors and football indoors...

SMO

GiveMeSox
04-25-2005, 02:15 AM
So what becomes of the HHH Metrodome? Will the Vi-queens still play there?

Baseball outdoors and football indoors...

SMO

I believe so. I remember hearing a while back the Vikes have still have a pretty long lease to finish up with the dome. Its the Twins whose lease ran up in 2002 or something.

oharewx
04-25-2005, 05:17 AM
i heard the stadium will be built in a way so that a retractable roof may be added at a later time(when they get more money)

MiamiSpartan
04-25-2005, 05:51 AM
Looks like a nice park, with a good location by the highways and rail....

Spicoli
04-25-2005, 05:15 PM
In addition to existing parking facilities, the area would benefit from access to existing bars and restaurants and the Downtown Minneapolis business district, as well as future mixed-use development, "Twinsville," which would be modeled after the Wrigleyville neighborhood in Chicago.

As stated in the mlb.com article:

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050425&content_id=1028207&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Ol' No. 2
04-25-2005, 05:19 PM
As stated in the mlb.com article:

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050425&content_id=1028207&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlbTwinsville?? I wonder how long it took them to come up with that?

mcfish
04-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Cool, I'm tired of looking at that dome. The Twins have to push this through quick, because there are a couple of big legal decisions coming up at the end of this year that will possibly make public funding of sports stadiums unconstitutional.Unconstitutional? No. Illegal? maybe? There is nothing currently in the Constitution related to sports stadiums, and of all the possible ammendments that could be passed, if a Sports Arena ammendment is even proposed I would be really surprised. Now a law making it illegal, on the other hand, might happen, but then again THAT could be declared unconstitutional.

UofCSoxFan
04-25-2005, 07:02 PM
I think he meant unconstitutional referring to the state Constitution...obviously not the US Consititution.