PDA

View Full Version : Turning Double Plays

voodoochile
04-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Well, the Sox have been turning them at an amazing rate this season. I think I read in chat that they lead the league, but have not verified that fact.

Found this article which talks about the work Gooch and Uribe put in. Thought it was worth sharing...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050423soxdp,1,3925512.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

kevingrt
04-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Double plays have saved us from collasping in early innings in a couple games. Uribe and Taddy have been doing outstanding work but you got to give some credit to the pitchers who are inducing perfect groundballs for double plays. Last year Garland was the King of double plays this year the whole team decided to follow suit.

delben91
04-24-2005, 11:38 AM
The more I see Iguchi play, the more impressed I am. There have been a number of times when I see a ball get hit up the middle and I think, "No way Tad gets there, that's into centerfield." But 9 times out of 10, he's right there, as if he knew it was going to be hit there and was perfectly positioned.

In fact, last night in the 9th when Stairs hit that one up the middle and Iguchi was too far to his left was the first time all season I've seen him out of position. I'm thrilled with his glove work.

And he's one of the few Sox players that I've seen not only make adjustments between at-bats, but within at-bats.

As for Juan, he's a free swinger, but he's been making more contact of late, and his amazing arm in the field makes him that much more valuable.

BainesHOF
04-24-2005, 11:51 AM
The two are fun to watch in the field. Iguchi is turning the hell out of those double plays.

Mohoney
04-24-2005, 12:18 PM
We're not only turning double plays of the standard variety, we're turning a lot of very hard 5-4-3 double plays, too. We're taking screamers down the 3rd base line and turning them into 2 outs.:bandance:

batmanZoSo
04-24-2005, 12:23 PM
The difference is we have much better pitching now and they're gonna serve a lot more grounders than last year when it was just as likely to be a gapper or even a home run. Uribe and Iguchi working at it certainly adds to it though. The work they supposedly put in is evident, you don't really see double clutching or low throws. Both of them are positioning themselves well and getting it over to Konerko without making him stretch or pick it out of the dirt.

Wsoxmike59
04-24-2005, 04:01 PM
I've been telling the guys at work and at bowling to watch Iguchi turn the DP. His footwork around the bag is flawless! I see shades of Scott Fletcher or Julio Cruz. "Guch" is that smooth.

I love how we've been turning a lot of DP's, that is the pitchers best friend. You can really avoid the big inning if you have a good DP combo.

I have to admit I was worried going into the season with Uribe as the everyday SS. I now see those worries were unfounded. Juan Uribe has performed better than I anticipated.

PatK
04-24-2005, 04:24 PM
One thing I've noticed is that Tadahito is insanely sound fundamentally. I think he's picked up on the differences in the way the ball comes at you in MLB as opposed to Japan.

Look at how he gets his body into position before the ball gets into his hands- he has his body squared towards first as soon as he starts his throw so that he can throw directly at the bag rather than across his body to first.

Like someone said, quick, nifty feet.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2005, 04:30 PM
You know who else led the league in double-plays? The 2000 White Sox.

But they were a fluke.
:cool:

chisoxfanatic
04-24-2005, 04:33 PM
You know who else led the league in double-plays? The 2000 White Sox.

But they were a fluke.

But, didn't they have a world-class manager during the 2000 season? It's no wonder things were clicking for them during that season. :cool:

Ol' No. 2
04-24-2005, 04:56 PM
Well, the Sox have been turning them at an amazing rate this season. I think I read in chat that they lead the league, but have not verified that fact.

Found this article which talks about the work Gooch and Uribe put in. Thought it was worth sharing...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050423soxdp,1,3925512.story?coll=cs-home-headlinesWhat's impressed me is Iguchi's ability to go to his left, then turn and fire off a good throw back to 2B in time to get the DP. That's not an easy play.

When you stock your pitching staff with groundball pitchers, it's understandable that they'll get a lot of DP. But nobody turns them for you. Iguchi and Uribe seem to have found a nice groove.

johnnyg83
04-24-2005, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE=PaleHoseGeorge]You know who else led the league in double-plays? The 2000 White Sox.

The four teams to lead the league in DPs since the Sox have averaged 99 losses.

And there's only one team in the last 10 years (other than the 2000 Sox) to have a winning record -- Colorado in 1997 -- who also gave up 908 (that's right 908) runs to lead the league in RA.

voodoochile
04-24-2005, 09:30 PM

And there's only one team in the last 10 years (other than the 2000 Sox) to have a winning record -- Colorado in 1997 -- who also gave up 908 (that's right 908) runs to lead the league in RA.

That's the other side of the coin, to get lots of DPs, you have to give up lots of baserunners. The more men on base, the more likely the opposition is to score.

I was actually more impressed with the work ethic part of that story and how Uribe and Iguchi took it on themselves to get better as a unit. Add in the steady play of Crede and Konerko and the infield defense is as solid as it has been in a LONG time.

balke
04-24-2005, 09:33 PM
What's impressed me is Iguchi's ability to go to his left, then turn and fire off a good throw back to 2B in time to get the DP. That's not an easy play.

When you stock your pitching staff with groundball pitchers, it's understandable that they'll get a lot of DP. But nobody turns them for you. Iguchi and Uribe seem to have found a nice groove.

I agree, he also seems to be wherever the ball is hit. He reads the batter well, and gets a good jump on the ball. He also has surprisingly good range. He may be my favorite new player.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2005, 09:35 PM

The 2000 White Sox were a fluke.

I'll let others explain why the 2005 team is not a fluke. I'm enjoying April too much to care.

johnnyg83
04-24-2005, 11:09 PM
Agreed. No more fatalistic DP talk.

jabrch
04-24-2005, 11:20 PM
Are we back to this dumb arguement again?

There are plenty of ways to win a baseball game. You can strike out 27 hitters - and have no doubleplays. You can give up hits and walks, but have a staff that throws lots of groundballs, so they turn lots of double plays. As long as you get the outs, that's what is most important. Double plays, when you have a ground ball staff and a defensive MI like we do are a GREAT thing.

The don't call it the "pitcher's best friend" for nothing.