PDA

View Full Version : GDPs and Sac Flies: White Sox own these two categories

MRKARNO
04-24-2005, 10:48 AM
A few stats that might help explain why the White Sox are 14th in runs scored, despite being 22nd in OPS:

The White Sox are last in the majors in double plays with 7.
The Sox are also first in the majors in sac. flies with 12.
They are the only team in baseball with more sac flies than double plays.
Juan Uribe has nearly a third of the number of sac flies (5) than Mark Lorretta had last year and Lorretta led the majors with 16.

Situational hitting has helped the White Sox overcome the often-times lacking offense and has contributed immensely to the White Sox 14-4 start. Considering the fact that we're 8-1 in one run games, this conclusion is inescapable.

Malgar 12
04-24-2005, 12:33 PM
A few stats that might help explain why the White Sox are 14th in runs scored, despite being 22nd in OPS:

The White Sox are last in the majors in double plays with 7.
The Sox are also first in the majors in sac. flies with 12.
They are the only team in baseball with more sac flies than double plays.
Juan Uribe has nearly a third of the number of sac flies (5) than Mark Lorretta had last year and Lorretta led the majors with 16.

Situational hitting has helped the White Sox overcome the often-times lacking offense and has contributed immensely to the White Sox 14-4 start. Considering the fact that we're 8-1 in one run games, this conclusion is inescapable.

I'm too lazy to look up the stats, but I would assume that our rise in stolen bases, has helped us a lot in terms of staying out of the double play. Konerko can't GIDP if Pods or Iguchi are already at 2nd base.

Frater Perdurabo
04-24-2005, 04:27 PM
I'm too lazy to look up the stats, but I would assume that our rise in stolen bases, has helped us a lot in terms of staying out of the double play. Konerko can't GIDP if Pods or Iguchi are already at 2nd base.

Agreed. This is "smallball" executed to near-perfection.

DaveIsHere
04-24-2005, 07:55 PM
Agreed. This is "smallball" executed to near-perfection.

OPS is ok to look at, but we seem to be a "contact" team, that goes a lot farther than most would like to admit. You get some speed on the bases and make a little conact and force the D to make the play. It works for me, and the SOX

A. Cavatica
04-24-2005, 08:21 PM
The flip side of basestealing is that a CS costs you both a baserunner and an out. Bill James' rule of thumb is you need to steal at a .667 clip or else you're costing your team runs. Guess what? The Sox have 16 SB and 8 CS, which is right on the cusp between helping and hurting.

We may not be grounding into a lot of DPs because we have some pretty fast runners, and because Ozzie's done a good job with the batting order. Or it could be that we have few baserunners, since our team OBP is very low. Or it could just be luck. We also have some plodders (Konerko, Crede, Pierzynski).

There are a lot of trends I don't expect to continue for the entire season. Us hitting into the fewest DPs is one of them. Us being this poor at getting on base had better be one of them.

kevingrt
04-24-2005, 08:32 PM
We are alos one of the most clutch teams in baseball. Our average with runners with scoring position is not great, rather it is fairly terrible, but how many times do we seem to score the winning run and just pull it out. Hell, we are what 8-1 in one run games. You cannot be much more clutch then that, This team is fun to watch and all we need so far this year are a couple runs to win ballgames.

OKCidiot
04-24-2005, 08:49 PM
What a difference execution makes! I can't tell you how frustrating it's been over the years watching that runner at third with less than two outs get stranded there; for as long as I can remember the Sox were literally hopeless when it came time for the sac-fly. And with the steroid witch hunts, you can bet that those huge home run totals throughout baseball are going to fall off dramatically... this is the year for Small Ball!!!

Win1ForMe
04-24-2005, 08:54 PM
Fire Ozzie!

Fire Kenny!

Hire JP Richardi and Cito Gaston.