PDA

View Full Version : How about Marte's Tag!

mikehuff
04-24-2005, 10:20 AM
Man, what an awesome play by Marte and Pierzynski last night after that wild pitch! That saved our asses, and what a great looking play.

I happened to have the sound down on that play though. He wasn't hurt or anything was he? I don't know if he was just shaken up by the play. The papers don't seem to mention anything of it. The did so many replays and I couldn't hear what Hawk and DJ were saying. I was worried that he may have hyper extended his elbow or something, but I guess not.

Those kind of plays go hand and hand with a team that's going somewhere.

zach074
04-24-2005, 10:41 AM
That saved our asses

Actually they saved their own asses.

Tragg
04-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Yep - they caused the problem and they fixed it. Marte's pitch wasn't over the plate, but it wasn't in the dirt either and wasn't that far off and should have been easily handled by AJ.

Tom~Attitude
04-24-2005, 10:49 AM
From the Daily Herald...

The White Sox weren’t looking too good in the bottom of the ninth when Kansas City loaded the bases with only one out against reliever Damaso Marte.

But they caught a huge break when Marte’s inside pitch to Eli Marrero got past Pierzynski. The Royals’ Matt Diaz tried to score from third base, but Pierzynski was able to flip the ball to Marte, who absorbed a collision while tagging out Diaz.

Marte (2-0) struck out Marrero to get out of the jam, and the Sox wasted little time regaining the lead and improving their record to 8-1 in 1-run games.

“That’s a heads-up play,’’ said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen. “It could have gone either way. Thank God Marte was paying attention and he covered the plate. It worked out good for us.’’

From the Joliet Herald... "That was mental mistake No. 2," Diaz said. "I thought I could score. I smelled home plate. When you've got a team like the White Sox on the ropes, you can't give them an out."

voodoochile
04-24-2005, 11:22 AM
It was a passed ball, right?

I thought it went right off of AJ's mitt. In fact I am sure of it because otherwise it would have gone to the backstop and not up the line.

Flames24Rulz
04-24-2005, 11:26 AM
From the Daily Herald...

The White Sox weren’t looking too good in the bottom of the ninth when Kansas City loaded the bases with only one out against reliever Damaso Marte.

But they caught a huge break when Marte’s inside pitch to Eli Marrero got past Pierzynski. The Royals’ Matt Diaz tried to score from third base, but Pierzynski was able to flip the ball to Marte, who absorbed a collision while tagging out Diaz.

Marte (2-0) struck out Marrero to get out of the jam, and the Sox wasted little time regaining the lead and improving their record to 8-1 in 1-run games.

“That’s a heads-up play,’’ said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen. “It could have gone either way. Thank God Marte was paying attention and he covered the plate. It worked out good for us.’’

From the Joliet Herald... "That was mental mistake No. 2," Diaz said. "I thought I could score. I smelled home plate. When you've got a team like the White Sox on the ropes, you can't give them an out."

its about time someone in our own division gives us some respect :)

kevingrt
04-24-2005, 12:00 PM
Marte's tag was tremendous. And what made it even better was that he appeared a little bit hurt and stayed in the game to finish it out with two innings of no run baseball. You gotta love that.

SEALgep
04-24-2005, 12:12 PM
It was a passed ball, right?

I thought it went right off of AJ's mitt. In fact I am sure of it because otherwise it would have gone to the backstop and not up the line.I believe Diaz would had to of scored in order for it to be considered a pass ball. Same logic of pitching one in the dirt with no one on base. It's nothing.

Daver
04-24-2005, 12:15 PM
I believe Diaz would had to of scored in order for it to be considered a pass ball. Same logic of pitching one in the dirt with no one on base. It's nothing.

No, it was a passed ball.

Tragg
04-24-2005, 12:18 PM
I believe Diaz would had to of scored in order for it to be considered a pass ball. Same logic of pitching one in the dirt with no one on base. It's nothing.

Nah - you're charged with a passed ball anytime runners move up, which I believe they did. Whether it was charged or not, it was a passed ball in spirit.

Mohoney
04-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Overall, I think our pitchers are fielding the ball very well. They cover 1st base well, and they really do a great job keeping their heads in the game.

Once Buehrle starts piling up the pick-offs, that's another bonus.

batmanZoSo
04-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Overall, I think our pitchers are fielding the ball very well. They cover 1st base well, and they really do a great job keeping their heads in the game.

Once Buehrle starts piling up the pick-offs, that's another bonus.

They are fielding well but they're not holding runners well. Some pitchers are never going to be great at that, but you can improve. And with noodle arm AJ behind the plate it would certainly help.