PDA

View Full Version : Greg Norton w/Charlotte

BigEdWalsh
04-24-2005, 07:22 AM
Yesterday the Sox and Charlotte Knights released Brian Becker and picked up former Sox, Greg Norton. I wouldn't expect to see him back up with the Sox but it's nice he's back in the organization. I always liked Norton. :smile:

HomerCoach
04-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Norton...you're the greatest!

RKMeibalane
04-24-2005, 07:29 AM
Joe Crede's replacement has arrived.

hose
04-24-2005, 08:19 AM
Is Norton selling insurance or something?:tongue:

Banix12
04-24-2005, 01:09 PM
While I never minded Norton's bat coming off the bench, I don't ever want to see his glove at 3b again or anywhere else for that matter. Horrible, just horrible defense. My guess is he'll get traded like Kenny traded Escobar this offseason.

munchman33
04-24-2005, 02:34 PM
While I never minded Norton's bat coming off the bench, I don't ever want to see his glove at 3b again or anywhere else for that matter.

Agreed. I've never seen anyone with worse hands in my life.

popilius
04-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Yesterday the Sox and Charlotte Knights released Brian Becker and picked up former Sox, Greg Norton. I wouldn't expect to see him back up with the Sox but it's nice he's back in the organization. I always liked Norton. :smile:

If he doesn't have a shot at coming up with the Sox, why is he in Charlotte at all? I don't expect him with the Sox either, but it's nice to have a back-up guy with some MLB experience. . . after all. . . he is the greatest!

:gulp:

jackbrohamer
04-24-2005, 04:30 PM
He always seemed like a good guy, I was always kind of sorry he never made it. Although he once hit 2 HR off of Randy Johnson in a game, which not many people can say

RKMeibalane
04-24-2005, 04:56 PM
He always seemed like a good guy, I was always kind of sorry he never made it. Although he once hit 2 HR off of Randy Johnson in a game, which not many people can say

I think he also had a monster game at Detroit back in '99. I don't remember the details, but he was amazing during that weekend.

OKCidiot
04-24-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm also glad to see Norton back in the Sox organization... I used to love how he addressed the ball!

"Hellooooo, ball!" : )

Daver
04-24-2005, 05:16 PM
If he doesn't have a shot at coming up with the Sox, why is he in Charlotte at all?

They have to fill minor league rosters.

samram
04-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Agreed. I've never seen anyone with worse hands in my life.

I think the problem with Nawton was his throwing. He had that weird chicken wing thing happening.

A. Cavatica
04-24-2005, 06:45 PM
I think he has an outside shot at being 25th man when Frank returns. As a switch hitting 1B/3B with power, he could fill the Ozuna/Gload roles (though probably not as well as Ozuna and Gload.) The numbers game might force the issue, though.

Banix12
04-24-2005, 08:07 PM
I think he has an outside shot at being 25th man when Frank returns. As a switch hitting 1B/3B with power, he could fill the Ozuna/Gload roles (though probably not as well as Ozuna and Gload.) The numbers game might force the issue, though.

Never gonna happen. Gload in one season has already shown more at the major league level than Norton has. Ozuna's defensive versatility makes him more valuable than Norton, and while we don't know what we'll get offensively from Ozuna, we do know what we will get from Norton and it's hardly impressive. And as i've stated, Norton is god awful with the glove so he's only useful as a Pinch Hitter only.

He'll fill out the minor league roster and if he does well down there and another team is looking for a little bench production, they'll trade him for some low A ball player. That or he'll get released from Charlotte when Fields comes up to AAA.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2005, 08:17 PM
They have to fill minor league rosters.

Charlotte is shaping up as a pretty good team. First they get Norton and soon they'll have Willie Harris, too, just as soon as Frank is healthy and the Sox add a pitcher to the roster.

:wink:

Fake Chet Lemon
04-24-2005, 08:25 PM
I have a feeling Kenny has some trade scenarios brewing. Norton's insurance.

TaylorStSox
04-24-2005, 08:43 PM
I have a feeling Kenny has some trade scenarios brewing. Norton's insurance.

If Norton's insurance for anything other than batboy, that's a bad sign.

A. Cavatica
04-24-2005, 08:54 PM
When Thomas is ready, the Sox will have to condense four bench roles (Ozuna, Harris, Perez, Gload) into three. All those guys have strengths. Ozuna is the only one who can play third, and is probably better than Harris at short. Harris has the most speed and can get on base pretty well. Perez is the best backup outfielder. Gload has the best bat. I wish we could keep all four, but the likelihood is that we'll end up with a reserve OF, a reserve middle IF, and a reserve corner IF.

CPditka
04-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Ducksnort ?

Banix12
04-24-2005, 10:28 PM
When Thomas is ready, the Sox will have to condense four bench roles (Ozuna, Harris, Perez, Gload) into three. All those guys have strengths. Ozuna is the only one who can play third, and is probably better than Harris at short. Harris has the most speed and can get on base pretty well. Perez is the best backup outfielder. Gload has the best bat. I wish we could keep all four, but the likelihood is that we'll end up with a reserve OF, a reserve middle IF, and a reserve corner IF.

My guess is Gload will likely stick because of his pinch hitting ability. Ozuna likely sticks because of his right handed bat and he plays 3rd. That puts it between Harris and Perez. Harris could be traded but I would hope that he sticks around if he continues to play the way he has been playing off the bench.

I know Timo is popular but I think he is on the bubble right now. He's not hitting well, he doesn't have the speed of Harris and Ozuna and even Gload might be a bit faster than him, and Timo can only play OF while the other three play other positions including OF. We also have a lot of Left Handed hitters.

Norton doesn't even come into this debate because he can't play any position.

Ol' No. 2
04-24-2005, 10:34 PM
My guess is Gload will likely stick because of his pinch hitting ability. Ozuna likely sticks because of his right handed bat and he plays 3rd. That puts it between Harris and Perez. Harris could be traded but I would hope that he sticks around if he continues to play the way he has been playing off the bench.

I know Timo is popular but I think he is on the bubble right now. He's not hitting well, he doesn't have the speed of Harris and Ozuna and even Gload might be a bit faster than him, and Timo can only play OF while the other three play other positions including OF. We also have a lot of Left Handed hitters.

Norton doesn't even come into this debate because he can't play any position.I agree that it's probably either Harris or Perez who loses his roster spot when Thomas returns. But if it's a trade, it takes two to tango. Someone's got to want them, and it may come down to which has better market value. Plus, it just seems like both KW and Ozzie like Timo better.

slavko
04-25-2005, 12:19 AM
I never want to think about seeing Norton throw a baseball again. Now I'm gonna have nightmares.

TomParrish79
04-25-2005, 01:44 AM
I used to love hearing Wimpy say NORTON in his Honeymooners/Jackie Gleason voice.

crazyozzie02
04-25-2005, 07:04 AM
Who Cares.....norton Is Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chez
04-25-2005, 07:22 AM
Norton is one of the the great Spring Training hitters of all time. This should help us win the Cactus League next spring!

PaleHoseGeorge
04-25-2005, 08:13 AM
Frankly I'm surprised Harris has stuck this long. We need a bench player to spell both middle infielders and he can't do it... not without wishing and hoping he suddenly learns to play shortstop. We have reserve fielders coming out the wazoo and yet we still have holes to cover...
:?:

We'll probably need to jettison two utility players, one each for Frank and an extra pitcher. I'm guessing it's Harris and Gload because their "skills" are most redundant to the team.

What is Harris worth in trade? Little... very very little.

A. Cavatica
04-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Frankly I'm surprised Harris has stuck this long. We need a bench player to spell both middle infielders and he can't do it... not without wishing and hoping he suddenly learns to play shortstop. We have reserve fielders coming out the wazoo and yet we still have holes to cover...
:?:

We'll probably need to jettison two utility players, one each for Frank and an extra pitcher. I'm guessing it's Harris and Gload because their "skills" are most redundant to the team.

What is Harris worth in trade? Little... very very little.

I disagree we need another pitcher. In fact, we need another pitcher less than just about any other team. We've got a quality start almost every night, and in the Contreras start Ozzie got more than an inning out of each of his relievers.

Gload might be worth something in trade, and with Everett on the bench he won't even be getting the PH opportunities. I think he might go. Of the other three, Perez is probably the most expendable, because Rowand, Pods, and Willie can all play CF, and anybody including Ozuna & Everett can play a corner spot.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-25-2005, 09:11 AM
I disagree we need another pitcher. In fact, we need another pitcher less than just about any other team. We've got a quality start almost every night, and in the Contreras start Ozzie got more than an inning out of each of his relievers.

The Sox are presently carrying 11 pitchers. Last March Ozzie identified this as good enough for April because of all the off days. However this will change in May with the increase in games scheduled.

I will be very surprised if Ozzie doesn't add a 12th pitcher. That leaves just 4 spots for non-everyday position players.

Here are the bubble boys...

Everett or Dye
Ozuna
Perez
Harris
Gload

Pick 4. Alternately, engineer a trade to fill holes.

wilburaga
04-25-2005, 11:49 AM

Now it's just a matter of time until we bring Mike Caruso back into the fold and reunite him with Norton as the left side of the infield at Charlotte. Our minor league pitchers will be as reticent to release the ball as our major leaguers were in 1998-1999.

W

chaz171
04-25-2005, 12:05 PM
We are 15-4. the roster stays the same when you are 15-4.

We dont' need to worry about tinkering. Norton is in Charlotte. He will stay there. if joe crede get his legs cut off in a wood chipper, Nortion is istill n AAA.

Banix12
04-25-2005, 12:05 PM
Now it's just a matter of time until we bring Mike Caruso back into the fold and reunite him with Norton as the left side of the infield at Charlotte. Our minor league pitchers will be as reticent to release the ball as our major leaguers were in 1998-1999.

At least now when our minor league starters start piling up losses and unearned runs, we know who to blame.

Chez
04-25-2005, 12:43 PM
We dont' need to worry about tinkering. Norton is in Charlotte. He will stay there. if joe crede get his legs cut off in a wood chipper, Nortion is istill n AAA.[/QUOTE]

True. We'd find, sign and bring up Craig Wilson before Norton.

duke of dorwood
04-25-2005, 12:46 PM
We are 15-4. the roster stays the same when you are 15-4.

We dont' need to worry about tinkering. Norton is in Charlotte. He will stay there. if joe crede get his legs cut off in a wood chipper, Nortion is istill n AAA.

:jerry

Tinkering? They're playing my song

duke of dorwood
04-25-2005, 12:47 PM
Norton could be a coach someday in the system-he was a great chemistry guy with that 2000 team.