PDA

View Full Version : We're the Sox, not the ChiSox

Palehose Pete
04-24-2005, 01:36 AM
Happy as I am with the national media attention, I wish the good folks at ESPN would not call us the ChiSox, but rather, call us the Sox. There is no need to distinguish us from the Red Sox because their symbol is a B and our symbol is SOX. We're the SOX, and they're either the Red Sox or B. I don't care what some rube who hasn't taken the time to learn the difference thinks. That's their problem. We're the SOX, not the ChiSox.

Thank you. That is all.

Whitesox029
04-24-2005, 01:40 AM
The whole problem could be avoided by calling both teams by their proper names at all times, White Sox and Red Sox. Next thing you know they'll shorten "Angels" to "A's" and start calling the Athletics the OakA's.

chidonez
04-24-2005, 01:52 AM
their problem. We're the SOX, not the ChiSox.

Thank you. That is all.

Since I now, regretfully, live in Boston, may I add that we're (Chicago) a much bigger and more important city than this little crap-hole by the Georges Bank fishery.

HITMEN OF 77
04-24-2005, 01:58 AM
They often call the "other" Sox the BoSox, I don't mind ChiSox

johnnyg83
04-24-2005, 02:04 AM
They often call the "other" Sox the BoSox, I don't mind ChiSox

I'm sorry to say that nationally the only people who would equate "Sox" with White Sox are White Sox fans.

Nellie_Fox
04-24-2005, 02:20 AM
They just have to learn regional accents. In Chicago, it's the Saahx, in Boston, it's the Sawx.

dcb33
04-24-2005, 02:49 AM
I think everyone should eliminate all possibilities for confusing the two franchises by referring to the White Sox as the Pale Hose and the Red Sox as the Carmines.

Palehose Pete
04-24-2005, 02:55 AM
:gulp: Thanks, Nellie and dcb - I was WAAAAAY too serious about this issue.

TDog
04-24-2005, 04:25 AM
Happy as I am with the national media attention, I wish the good folks at ESPN would not call us the ChiSox, but rather, call us the Sox. There is no need to distinguish us from the Red Sox because their symbol is a B and our symbol is SOX. We're the SOX, and they're either the Red Sox or B. I don't care what some rube who hasn't taken the time to learn the difference thinks. That's their problem. We're the SOX, not the ChiSox.

Thank you. That is all.

The ChiSox thing is very old and goes back the days when headline writing was a craft, before computers made writing them easy. The Washington Senators were the Nats for similar reasons. In the days when pages were assembled with hot lead, every little bit helped. I guess now the Washington Nationals are the Nats because people are too lazy to pronounce another two syllables. "White Sox" takes as much time and effort to say as "ChiSox," so the old label seems rather archaic.

Really, the "Sox" thing probably developed because headline writers didn't have room to write out "Stockings."

SomebodyToldMe
04-24-2005, 04:28 AM
I say ChiSox every now and then. Does that make me a bad person? :(:

fquaye149
04-24-2005, 05:10 AM
This reminds me of a party I was at on New Years. I saw a kid wearing a vintage Sox hat, which in Green Bay is rather rare. I asked him if he was a Sox fan and he said, "Hell Yes!!!."

So I asked him what I thought about the Sox losing Maggs and he says, "well they still should be ok. They have Manny and Ortiz." I go "What? Are you talking about the Red Sox?" and he goes, "Yeah. What did you think I was talking about." So I said, "You know that's a WHITE Sox hat, don't you?"

You should have seen his jaw drop. It was priceless and it almost made up for one of the most inane conversations ere I've had.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2005, 08:12 AM
By way of editorial policy, you will not find the term "Chisox" anywhere at White Sox Interactive. The team is called "Sox", "White Sox", or "Pale Hose" and many other even more colorful names... but never Chisox.

Using "Chisox" implies the need to distinguish our team from the Sox, the ones in Baaaahston, the ones they spend hours discussing at ESPN. "Chisox" denigrates our proper place as the original "Sox" team (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3&id=2104) and the only one to use the moniker on the uniform for most of the last 100 years.

The Sox are our team and have been so since 1903. If the Pilgrims in Boston still think it's a cool name, they're welcome to borrow it, but they're the ones to be modified into Bosox, not us.

Thank you for not using the term "Chisox."

Be proud, Sox Fans.

:cool:

hose
04-24-2005, 08:14 AM
The team is also called the "first place" Sox.

Sox Pride:bandance::bandance::bandance:

downstairs
04-24-2005, 09:59 AM
I hear the term "BoSox" about as much as I hear the term "ChiSox".

I think you're stretching...

chisoxfan64
04-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Does this mean I can`t post here?

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2005, 10:17 AM

Sure, you can post here.

Have you ever considered registering a new username?
:wink:

Jjav829
04-24-2005, 10:24 AM
I hear the term "BoSox" about as much as I hear the term "ChiSox".

I think you're stretching...

That's only because the radio is Red Sox talk to White Sox talk is about 20:1. That equals out the rare times they say BoSox to the few times they mention the White Sox and call them the ChiSox. They usually call the Red Sox the "Sox" and the real Sox the "ChiSox." I was shocked to hear one of the anchors say the other night, "Can the Sox stay white hot?" First time in a while I can remember the real Sox being referred to as the Sox.

Realist
04-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Whenever I hear the term "ChiSox" I think of looking at the back of bubble gum cards when I was a little kid. Though I never use the term, it really doesn't bother me. It reminds of a very fun and innocent time in my life.

ThatGuyOnTheL
04-24-2005, 11:48 AM
This reminds me of a party I was at on New Years. I saw a kid wearing a vintage Sox hat, which in Green Bay is rather rare. I asked him if he was a Sox fan and he said, "Hell Yes!!!."

So I asked him what I thought about the Sox losing Maggs and he says, "well they still should be ok. They have Manny and Ortiz." I go "What? Are you talking about the Red Sox?" and he goes, "Yeah. What did you think I was talking about." So I said, "You know that's a WHITE Sox hat, don't you?"

You should have seen his jaw drop. It was priceless and it almost made up for one of the most inane conversations ere I've had.

As chidonez can attest, one of the cheapest and best sources of entertainment in Boston is to go to a sports-apparel store, stand near the White Sox hats, and watch the other customers get very confused.

SOXSINCE'70
04-24-2005, 12:39 PM
I go with Pale Hose (their original nickname) or White Sox.

The first person I hear use the term "ChiSox" gets a beverage of their
choice spilled on them by me.:D: :D:

I want Mags back
04-24-2005, 12:48 PM
In my mind, the color white should almost just be under stood.
What color Sox are you wearing right now? Most likely white. you don't say Im wearing white socks, u say im wearing sox. If you wear a weird color sock, then you use the color to distinquich(sp). so we're the SOX

chisoxfanatic
04-24-2005, 01:45 PM

And me? :?: :smile:

Fenway
04-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Since I now, regretfully, live in Boston, may I add that we're (Chicago) a much bigger and more important city than this little crap-hole by the Georges Bank fishery.

We have a nice $16 Billion dollar tunnel :D:

but we are not a crap hole

:angry:

TDog
04-24-2005, 08:19 PM
I go with Pale Hose (their original nickname) or White Sox.

The first person I hear use the term "ChiSox" gets a beverage of their
choice spilled on them by me.:D: :D:

In the summer of 1970, the Sporting News was a quality baseball periodical, before it was ruined by corporate ownership. It ran stories on every team every week. A headline over one White Sox story read "Pale Hose looking paler and paler."

I haven't called them Pale Hose since.

itsnotrequired
04-24-2005, 10:07 PM
The whole problem could be avoided by calling both teams by their proper names at all times, White Sox and Red Sox. Next thing you know they'll shorten "Angels" to "A's" and start calling the Athletics the OakA's.

:kneeslap:

tacosalbarojas
04-25-2005, 12:30 PM
They just have to learn regional accents. In Chicago, it's the Saahx, in Boston, it's the Sawx.Word. That's how I distinguish the two.

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
04-25-2005, 12:36 PM

how about me? i call them the chi sox all the time, i think it sounds good.

Papas
04-25-2005, 01:57 PM
Last time I checked Hawk doesnt report for ESPN :smile:.