PDA

View Full Version : Sox bench moves

Fake Chet Lemon
04-23-2005, 04:10 PM
1) Is it pretty much a foregone conclusion when Frank returns Gload will get the boot? I really like Gload, but there is nobody I would boot ahead of him.

2) I'd like to see Timo get more time against right handers. Rowand and Dye will come around, I'm NOT worried. So let Rowand and Dye get all heir hacks against lefties. But until they are 100%, why not work Timo into a rotation with them? If we have a righty against us two straight days, give Timo a start in Center and then a start in Right. I don't any downside to doing so.

samram
04-23-2005, 04:17 PM
1) Is it pretty much a foregone conclusion when Frank returns Gload will get the boot? I really like Gload, but there is nobody I would boot ahead of him.

2) I'd like to see Timo get more time against right handers. Rowand and Dye will come around, I'm NOT worried. So let Rowand and Dye get all heir hacks against lefties. But until they are 100%, why not work Timo into a rotation with them? If we have a righty against us two straight days, give Timo a start in Center and then a start in Right. I don't any downside to doing so.

1) Yeah, Carl Everett would be the left-handed bench stick and there are other guys that can play any position Gload can.

2) The downside is Timo isn't as good as those other two. Spot starts are fine, but he shouldn't be in a rotation or platoon situation.

BRDSR
04-23-2005, 04:27 PM
1) Yeah, Carl Everett would be the left-handed bench stick and there are other guys that can play any position Gload can.

2) The downside is Timo isn't as good as those other two. Spot starts are fine, but he shouldn't be in a rotation or platoon situation.

I don't expect Carl to be on the bench very often when Frank comes back. I expect Frank to play 5 days a week at DH and sit 1 or 2. The days when Frank is playing DH, I expect Carl, Jermaine, Aaron, and to a lesser extent Pods, to do a kind of rotating outfield. If Dye is still batting the way he has to begin the season, he may find himself on the bench 4 or 5 days a week.

samram
04-23-2005, 04:30 PM
I don't expect Carl to be on the bench very often when Frank comes back. I expect Frank to play 5 days a week at DH and sit 1 or 2. The days when Frank is playing DH, I expect Carl, Jermaine, Aaron, and to a lesser extent Pods, to do a kind of rotating outfield. If Dye is still batting the way he has to begin the season, he may find himself on the bench 4 or 5 days a week.

He may, but if the team is winning, it would be tough to take Dye's glove off the field a bunch and replace it with Carl's, especially when you consider that Frank will most likely replace whatever offense the team loses by taking Everett out of the lineup. Everett will still play, get about 8-10 ABs a week, and allow Dye and/or Rowand to sit against tough righties.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-23-2005, 04:38 PM
He may, but if the team is winning, it would be tough to take Dye's glove off the field a bunch and replace it with Carl's, especially when you consider that Frank will most likely replace whatever offense the team loses by taking Everett out of the lineup. Everett will still play, get about 8-10 ABs a week, and allow Dye and/or Rowand to sit against tough righties.

Dye's glove will be missed, but I think Carl gets a ton of ABs as our Right Fielder. A lineup starting Pods-Gooch-Frank-Everett-Konerko could be devastating. And Dye's arm doing seem to be as good as I thought it would be? Anyone agree?

soxtalker
04-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Any chance that Willie will be traded? I'm not complaining about his play; he's been doing pretty well off the bench -- good BA, for example. But maybe that makes him pretty attractive to another team that is looking for a starting 2B. The Cubs come to mind, though there may be others.

veeter
04-23-2005, 05:05 PM
WHen Frank comes back I think Ozuna is sent down.

mdep524
04-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Dye's glove will be missed, but I think Carl gets a ton of ABs as our Right Fielder. A lineup starting Pods-Gooch-Frank-Everett-Konerko could be devastating. And Dye's arm doing seem to be as good as I thought it would be? Anyone agree? In the even that Dye has to be benched, I think the outfield would look much better with Everett in left, Podsednik in center and Rowand in right. That's a step down from what we have now, but a step up from Everett playing right.

Also, I would not say it is a "foregone conclusion" that Gload will get the boot. He's a great pinch hitter, and an excellent defensive first baseman. We don't know how well Carl would respond to being mainly a pinch hitter after being a full time player so long. Remember Brian Daubach? I would guess Ozuna or Willie would get demoted/traded.

JRIG
04-23-2005, 05:50 PM
In the even that Dye has to be benched, I think the outfield would look much better with Everett in left, Podsednik in center and Rowand in right. That's a step down from what we have now, but a step up from Everett playing right.

Also, I would not say it is a "foregone conclusion" that Gload will get the boot. He's a great pinch hitter, and an excellent defensive first baseman. We don't know how well Carl would respond to being mainly a pinch hitter after being a full time player so long. Remember Brian Daubach? I would guess Ozuna or Willie would get demoted/traded.

The Sox have to determine if they can get by with one backup infielder. If so, Ozuna is the easy choice to go. I'd say he leave us a right-handed bat short off the bench, but that would imply Ozuna is actually worth something as a hitter.

MisterB
04-23-2005, 05:58 PM
This is all relatively pointless speculation right now. I'd wait until Frank starts his minor league rehab before looking at the possible candidates for demotion/trade etc. If Frank's not going to be back for another month, there's still a LOT that can change over that time...

BRDSR
04-23-2005, 06:08 PM
This is all relatively pointless speculation

I think we may have come up with a new catch phrase here:

White Sox Interactive: Relatively Pointless Speculation

I like it.

soxtalker
04-23-2005, 06:09 PM
The Sox have to determine if they can get by with one backup infielder. If so, Ozuna is the easy choice to go. I'd say he leave us a right-handed bat short off the bench, but that would imply Ozuna is actually worth something as a hitter.

Why is Ozuna the "easy choice to go"? Is it BA, L vs. R, speed, or some other factor that you are basing the decision on? Each has only had about 15 AB's, so it is hard to extrapolate much based on performance so far. It also depends on what KW can get for either. If another GM is willing to pay a lot (e.g., top prospects in positions KW thinks we'll be needing) for one of them, that might be a deciding factor.

Jurr
04-23-2005, 06:15 PM
I agree..it's pointless speculation at this point. We just don't know exactly when Thomas is getting back from rehab. It does seem like he keeps getting hit with minor setback after minor setback.

Frank just developed a cellulitis in his leg. Now, Dr. Beckett would be a little more knowledgeable about lower limb situations, but I deal with these infections in the oral and facial complex all the time. They are a very big deal as far as dental/oral surgery goes.

However, I do know that in the extremities you can get these infections on a superficial (outer skin) level, and they are easily treated as long as they're not getting into the deep tissues.

I just hope that Frank's situation is more superficial and is easliy treated. BUT, the overall picture is that he has been getting hit with these minor setbacks, and it may take a bit longer than we think for him to get into the game again.

JRIG
04-23-2005, 06:20 PM
Why is Ozuna the "easy choice to go"? Is it BA, L vs. R, speed, or some other factor that you are basing the decision on?

Talent level. 30 years old. Relatively poor major and minor league stats.

Ol' No. 2
04-23-2005, 06:24 PM
Frank just developed a cellulitis in his leg. No, he didn't. Read the story again.

Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050422soxbrite,1,3215035.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

SoxFan48
04-23-2005, 06:25 PM

Your Fifteen Minutes are Coming to an End

Unregistered
04-23-2005, 06:28 PM
No, he didn't. Read the story again.

Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050422soxbrite,1,3215035.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)Yeah, when I read that post I thought I may have read the article wrong - really confused for a second there...

soxtalker
04-23-2005, 06:33 PM

OK. Somewhat different question -- would Ozzie and KW agree? I'd guess, "yes", since, IIRC, Harris made the team first and has seen more playing time.

Jurr
04-23-2005, 06:34 PM
No, he didn't. Read the story again.

Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050422soxbrite,1,3215035.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

Oh my lord. My fault. Mods..please delete my post about cellulitis. It's not a concern involving Frank, though it's still a terrible thing to get.

Ol' No. 2
04-23-2005, 06:36 PM
OK. Somewhat different question -- would Ozzie and KW agree? I'd guess, "yes", since, IIRC, Harris made the team first and has seen more playing time.Ozuna made the team because he can back up SS and 3B. Harris is marginal at those positions. Ozuna had a hot spring, but that was getting regular AB. Getting only 4-6 AB a week is a lot harder, especially for a player with little major-league experience. Neither is a really good option.

Banix12
04-23-2005, 06:44 PM
Ozuna showed a lot in spring training but has yet to really show it up here in the majors in his limited duty. I like him but not over Gload.

Gload has shown himself to be a very good pinch hitter at the major league level and he's a rarity, a left handed hitter who can hit very well off left-handed pitchers. He doesn't have a position but he should stick around in that Lenny Harris/Dave Hanson role as Part-timer/pinch hitter.

Because the white sox have a lineup which will be playing very regularly, neither is going to get a lot of playing time. So far I trust Gload more as a part-time player.

But then again, they are both part time players so whoever gets cut won't have a huge effect on the overall team.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-24-2005, 02:08 AM
Ozuna may be our best overall leadoff hitter after Pods. With that groin strain earlier with Pods, and the fact Ozuna plays infield and outfield I'd like to keep him around. In Spring Training he really impressed me with how he runs the bases too, so there is also value as a late inning pinch runner with him. He is pretty much our backup third baseman too, should Comet need to rest anything. He just seems like a grinder to me. He has to stay.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Ozzie just said he is going to try and get Gload and Harris more at-bats. Sounds to me like they are shopping them. Maybe the one to go depends on who can bring the most value back in a trade.

SEALgep
04-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Talent level. 30 years old. Relatively poor major and minor league stats.But he's very versatile in the amount of positions he can play. Willie, although valuable, doesn't have as much versatility defensively. Most notably third base, which Crede will need a day off once in a great while.

A. Cavatica
04-24-2005, 07:40 PM
The wild card here is Greg Norton, who is now a Charlotte Knight...a switch hitter with more power than either Gload or Ozuna, and he can play 1B, 3B, and LF. Norty could make either or both obsolete if he impresses the brass. Gotta figure Gload has the most trade value out of Gload/Harris/Ozuna right now.