PDA

View Full Version : Tigers v. Twins postponed for...snow?

SOX ADDICT '73
04-23-2005, 12:23 PM
http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=min

Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait until Thursday before our lead is in full integers again.

samram
04-23-2005, 12:25 PM
If only that game were to be played in Minnesota.....:smile:

SOXSINCE'70
04-23-2005, 12:39 PM
The 1959 White Sox opened the season in frigid,snow like
conditions in Detroit.Check out the book " '59:The Summer Of
The Sox" by Bob Vanderberg (Sports Publishing Inc.)

This tells me the Tiggers and Twinkies are wussies.You mean
to tell me you can't even get in 5 innings?? PUH-LEEZ!!:whiner: :whiner:
I watched Bartolo Colon gets his ass handed to him on
a Sunday night 2 years ago in a torrential rain storm.:angry: :angry:

TornLabrum
04-23-2005, 12:48 PM
The 1959 White Sox opened the season in frigid,snow like
conditions in Detroit.Check out the book " '59:The Summer Of
The Sox" by Bob Vanderberg (Sports Publishing Inc.)

This tells me the Tiggers and Twinkies are wussies.You mean
to tell me you can't even get in 5 innings?? PUH-LEEZ!!:whiner: :whiner:
a Sunday night 2 years ago in a torrential rain storm.:angry: :angry:

The forcast is for snow and rain, a high of 41, and up to three inches of total snowfall. I think that's bad enough to cancel it, especially since they are in the same division and can make it up later without any trouble in scheduling a make-up date.

gobears1987
04-23-2005, 01:34 PM
According the Yahoo the game will be made up on Monday.

Lip Man 1
04-23-2005, 02:05 PM
In 1991 I remember Jack McDowell pitching in snow in Detroit. The Sox won the game, part of their 6-0 start to the season. It wasn't accumulating on the field though and that's a big difference.

Lip

BRDSR
04-23-2005, 02:40 PM
I played a high school game my freshman year that included two snow delays and was called after 4.5 innings with a score of(get this) 21-0. I was playing centerfield and missed a ball that I literally could see against the driving snow. If we got that game in, I'm sure the Tigers and Twins can get theirs in today.

StillMissOzzie
04-23-2005, 03:02 PM
The forcast is for snow and rain, a high of 41, and up to three inches of total snowfall. I think that's bad enough to cancel it, especially since they are in the same division and can make it up later without any trouble in scheduling a make-up date.

And you'd probably be able to count the crowd that shows up on your fingers and toes. In some respects, I am a "fair weather fan", and showing up in weather like this would definitely be above and beyond the call of duty.

SMO
:gulp:

Fenway
04-23-2005, 04:10 PM
The White Sox were the visiting team for the first ever game in Toronto in 1977

The Blue Jays' first game leaves many wondering if putting a major league team in Toronto was such a good idea. The weather is freezing cold and the entire field is covered in snow. Players and fans alike wonder if it will be a "snow-out." But groundskeepers vacuum up the snow, and after an 18-minute delay the umpire shouts "Play ball!" in front of 44,000 delighted fans. CBC Radio's Rick Cluff was at the game.

Anne Murray, dressed in a red parka, sang a rather hurried version of O Canada before the first pitch.
The Blue Jays won the game, outscoring the Chicago White Sox 9-5. Jays first baseman Doug Ault became an instant hero by hitting two home runs.
In their first season, the Blue Jays sold 9,000 season tickets, an American League record for a rookie club. More than 1.7 million fans attend games that first year.

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-70-674-3862-11/that_was_then/disasters_tragedies/blue_jays_snow

jdm2662
04-23-2005, 05:23 PM
It was 36 degress when I left my house to ref a high school girls soccer game. The snow started to come down for a bit, and I was asking who's got the orange ball? The snow didn't last too long, so no reason to call the game. However, all these girls are wearing shorts, and some of them dont even have long sleves. I can see cancelling a baseball game because of snow for the simple fact there is no orange baseball to play with... However, I do get a kick of high school girls who can't even wear long pants can play the elements they play in, and yet, pro baseball players can't.
________
TEEN HARDCORE (http://www.****tube.com/categories/1034/hardcore/videos/1)

fusillirob1983
04-23-2005, 06:17 PM
I think part of the problem is the lack of fans that might show up if there's a chance of snow. I know people watch football games in snow, but 1) I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be more willing to watch a football game in the cold than a baseball game, others may think the same, and 2) Detroit plays their football games indoors as well.

Shammy Hater
04-23-2005, 07:24 PM
i was in detroit friday and we wanted to go to the twinks/tigs game, but the weather was even worse than it looked on tv. didn't get any better today as it started snow showering in the morning, and they are expected to get up to 6" tonight.

FedEx227
04-23-2005, 11:22 PM
a Sunday night 2 years ago in a torrential rain storm.:angry:

You sure that was a Sunday Night game, (Well besides the fact that Colon got rocked just about everytime that year)...because I went to IIRC a Wednesday/Thursday Night game against the Tigers that had like a 3-4 hour rain delay or something...yeah I don' tknow why I stayed...and anyway finally the game started at somewhere around 10:55 or so, and Colon just got DESTROYED by the Tigers.

I'm just wondering if that was the same game, because after the 3 hour rain delay there was about 17 people still left in the stands.

Lip Man 1
04-23-2005, 11:37 PM
Ault recently died. I remember reading the early reports and suicide was suspected. I don't know if that was the actual cause of death.

In between innings those snowplows with brooms attached went around the infield sweeping off the snow so that at least the players could see the ball, still there were times when snow covered the field making it impossible to actually see the ball when it hit the turf at Exhibition Stadium.

Eric Soderholm told me he caught a ball in the heel of his glove that day and prayed that another ball wouldn't be hit his way for the rest of the afternoon. His hand had no feeling the rest of the game.

Jimmy Piersall making his debut on the Sox broadcasting team, had to interview Jays winning pitcher Jerry Johnson on the post game show. To every question Piersall asked he got a one word answer. Meanwhile the truck was telling him to 'stretch..' LOL

But the South Side hitmen were born that day bashing out 15 hits including a tremendous drive by Richie Zisk.

Ahhh the memories.

Lip