PDA

View Full Version : April 29 SPORTING NEWS on Sox start

Fake Chet Lemon
04-23-2005, 10:52 AM
In the April 29th Sporting News Ken Rosenthal comments in his article "Trying to make sense of April powers". Among his comments he says on the White Sox "......The diminished offense remains a concern says a rival GM, 'I'd be shocked if they don't struggle to score runs all season'. Luck played a part in the team's start-the Sox barely outscored their opponents. Although the teams defense in improved, the range on the right side of the infield is limited, and Scott Podsednik isn't a strong center fielder."
kenrosenthal@sportingnews.com

depy48
04-23-2005, 10:55 AM
well i hope scotty pods is a strong left fielder, and let aaron rowand worry about centerfield.

chisoxfan79
04-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Yes he is right Podsednik is NOT a strong center fielder because HE PLAYS LEFT. And this guy gets paid to write this crap. There is a reason why I stopped getting the magazine.:supernana:

Fake Chet Lemon
04-23-2005, 11:00 AM
And he also said the Sox won't overtake the Twins in the AL Central. I guess those five games we played with the Twins were extended Spring Training and didn't count.

Ol' No. 2
04-23-2005, 11:00 AM
We beat him up over this earlier this week. He must have gotten a ton of emails, because he edited the on-line version within a few hours of it's being posted. There's a thread somewhere down below.

voodoochile
04-23-2005, 11:01 AM
How diminished does our offense look now? :rolleyes:

Maybe it was just good opposing pitching and a bit of a slow start. What I like most is that there are so many players who will step up to carry the team offensively this season. One week it's Carl, then Dye does it for a while, now Comet is hot and last night Uribe picked the team up.

Through it all, Konerko and Gooch have been steady as a rock. It may not be the juggernaut of 2000, but the pitching is so much better, who freaking cares?

Tragg
04-23-2005, 11:02 AM
There's been some "luck" (but does "luck" apply to the Twins and their 1 run home victories against the Royals this week?????). And a lot of our 1 run victories have been of the "backdoor cover" variety - we had bigger leads and the gap was closed - not like it's a bunch of walk-off wins. We've led in EVERY game this year.

But I'll say this: Because the start is a result of good pitching v. good hitting, I'm a lot more confident that it isnt' a mirage. The Dodgers on the other hand.....

I hear guys like Brantley analyzing us - he has it backwards. Our bullpen is deep - anyone who took time to look at it could see that at the beginning of the season. The rotation: name 2 top of the rotation pitchers clearly better than our top 2 in the league? Put a bullpen (which the yanks didn't have last year) behind a guy like Hernandez who can't pitch full game anymore and you have 3 really good starters.

The problem will be the hitting, not the pitching. Can Crede and Pods keep hitting .300? Can Konerko and Everett keep up their power? Those are the real ???s.

nasox
04-23-2005, 11:02 AM
posted already. He had an incorrect statement that Pods was a bad CF and we pwned is ass with emails.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-23-2005, 11:07 AM
It's just amazing how they look so hard Nationally to find flaws on the Sox. The defense is playing great, but that range on the right side is such a major problem. Yet coming into the season, "Look out for the Cubs!", a team with no leadoff hitter, a bad manager, and injury prone starting staff, and NO BULLPEN.

Tragg
04-23-2005, 11:10 AM
It's just amazing how they look so hard Nationally to find flaws on the Sox. The defense is playing great, but that range on the right side is such a major problem. Yet coming into the season, "Look out for the Cubs!", a team with no leadoff hitter, a bad manager, and injury prone starting staff, and NO BULLPEN.

And who lost their 2 biggest run-producers, and who lost a very good starter. It's amazing - loss of maggs and lee will cripple us, but no problem losing alou and sosa

FedEx227
04-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Well they have Nomar....STUPID!

Mickster
04-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Diminished offense my arse. Virtually every national baseball writer at some point indicated that we have lost substantial power, yet through the first 17 games, we are tied for the league lead in home runs. Not to mention that our offense certainly is not "clicking" at this point. The LA Dodgers are propelled by their offense which is white hot at this point but I am certain will settle some when they come back to reality.

It is the exact opposite for us. Out pitching has been carrying this club and yet our offense, while putting up impressive numbers, has nowhere to go but up. Dye will not bat .192, Rowand will not bat .224 and Uribe will not bat .222 for the season. Similarly, Crede will most likely not bat .300 (unless Walker was finally right).

Rosenthal, though highly touted by some on this board :rolleyes: can just as easily be lumped in with the ESPN mediots in his pre-season predictions.

Interestingly enough, ESPN's own Steve Phillips was interviewed on AM 1000 at about 8:30am on some national progremming while I was driving into work this morning and he had the audicity to say that the Sox are for real and the Dodgers are not. Is that so, Steve??? I thought that the Sox were the team most likely to lose more games this year v. last year!!!!!!

http://www.teamestrogen.com/images/products/BE-FLIP-NAV_xlg.jpg

Fake Chet Lemon
04-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Diminished offense my arse. Virtually every national baseball writer at some point indicated that we have lost substantial power, yet through the first 17 games, we are tied for the league lead in home runs. Not to mention that our offense certainly is not "clicking" at this point. The LA Dodgers are propelled by their offense which is white hot at this point but I am certain will settle some when they come back to reality.

It is the exact opposite for us. Out pitching has been carrying this club and yet our offense, while putting up impressive numbers, has nowhere to go but up. Dye will not bat .192, Rowand will not bat .224 and Uribe will not bat .222 for the season. Similarly, Crede will most likely not bat .300 (unless Walker was finally right).

Rosenthal, though highly touted by some on this board :rolleyes: can just as easily be lumped in with the ESPN mediots in his pre-season predictions.

Interestingly enough, ESPN's own Steve Phillips was interviewed on AM 1000 at about 8:30am on some national progremming while I was driving into work this morning and he had the audicity to say that the Sox are for real and the Dodgers are not. Is that so, Steve??? I thought that the Sox were the team most likely to lose more games this year v. last year!!!!!!

http://www.teamestrogen.com/images/products/BE-FLIP-NAV_xlg.jpg

I'm alarmed to hear that. If Steve Phillips has something good to say about your club, you are generally in trouble.

TDog
04-23-2005, 04:20 PM
well i hope scotty pods is a strong left fielder, and let aaron rowand worry about centerfield.

What Rosenthal meant to say was that pods is having problems catching balls in dead center and right center because he's playing in left. How can a team win with only one good centerfielder?

Whitesox029
04-23-2005, 11:01 PM
Since when is winning one-run games "luck"? To me it is a sign of a strong bullpen that can handle pressure and an offense that can come through in the clutch for one run when maybe all that's needed is one run (example, April 6--Uribe's sac fly to win it)

popilius
04-24-2005, 12:34 AM
Here is the email I sent to Rosenthal, and I will keep a close eye on his descriptions of our team. If his bad reporting on our team continues, my emails will increasingly become more direct and critical. My White Sox deserve better than his garbage, or anyone else's.

Mr. Rosenthal,

I'm sorry I read your poor assessment of the Chicago White Sox. It shows that you haven't done your homework. Scott Podsednik plays left field for the White Sox, although you incorrectly stated that he plays center. Unfortunately, an entire country of Sporting News baseball fans and readers will be misinformed due to your lack of research and observation.

Additionally, citing 'luck' as a reason a professional sports team is winning is ludicrous and puzzling, especially considering the timely hitting and excellent starting pitching of the White Sox.

I hope to read more quality articles in the future.

Thank you,

popilius

TDog
04-24-2005, 01:11 AM
Since when is winning one-run games "luck"? ...

Since it's the White Sox winning them.

TornLabrum
04-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Here is the email I sent to Rosenthal, and I will keep a close eye on his descriptions of our team. If his bad reporting on our team continues, my emails will increasingly become more direct and critical. My White Sox deserve better than his garbage, or anyone else's.

Mr. Rosenthal,

I'm sorry I read your poor assessment of the Chicago White Sox. It shows that you haven't done your homework. Scott Podsednik plays left field for the White Sox, although you incorrectly stated that he plays center. Unfortunately, an entire country of Sporting News baseball fans and readers will be misinformed due to your lack of research and observation.

Additionally, citing 'luck' as a reason a professional sports team is winning is ludicrous and puzzling, especially considering the timely hitting and excellent starting pitching of the White Sox.

I hope to read more quality articles in the future.

Thank you,

popilius

I would have only changed one thing. I would have written that last sentence, "I hope to read a quality article by you in the future."

balke
04-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Remember when the Cardinals were getting "lucky", because their hitters were white hot, and the pitching staff overachieved? It was only a matter of time before the almighty Cubs caught up to them. Whatever happened to them Cardinals?

Fake Chet Lemon
04-24-2005, 11:57 AM
I actually received a reply from Rosenthal. He admitted he deserved to be grilled for the Podsednik error and thanked me for my opinions, they were noted. It'll be interesting to see what he writes in the future and see if he learns from his mistakes. I do give his some credit for replying, but I'd rather see he get his articles factually correct going forward.

SEALgep
04-24-2005, 12:23 PM
It's just amazing how they look so hard Nationally to find flaws on the Sox. The defense is playing great, but that range on the right side is such a major problem. Yet coming into the season, "Look out for the Cubs!", a team with no leadoff hitter, a bad manager, and injury prone starting staff, and NO BULLPEN.Not to mention Todd Walker was the worst DP man in the league last year. Yet everyone can't wait for him to get back.