PDA

View Full Version : Now it's Jeff Brantley

veeter
04-23-2005, 09:31 AM
This morning on Sport Center Jeff Brantley said, "There's going to be a lot of crying in the beer in Chicago. I don't care what kind of start the Sox are having there's no way they are making the playoffs. Look to Minnesota." The panel was some lackey, Larry Bowa and Brantley. They thought the pitching would eventually collapse and be their downfall. Also during the highlights the guy says, "Juan Uribe and his .281 on base percentage hits a double." ESPN continue's it smart remarks and put downs on the Sox. It seems the Sox success is irritating to these guys. Actually I love it.

Ol' No. 2
04-23-2005, 09:33 AM
This morning on Sport Center Jeff Brantley said, "There's going to be a lot of crying in the beer in Chicago. I don't care what kind of start the Sox are having there's no way they are making the playoffs. Look to Minnesota." The panel was some lackey, Larry Bowa and Brantley. They thought the pitching would eventually collapse and be their downfall. Also during the highlights the guy says, "Juan Uribe and his .281 on base percentage hits a double." ESPN continue's it smart remarks and put downs on the Sox. It seems the Sox success is irritating to these guys. Actually I love it.They're irritated because they all picked the Sox for 3rd or 4th and if it keeps up they're all going to look like chumps. Sweet.

Evman5
04-23-2005, 09:37 AM
Why is our bullpen going to falter later in the season? Every single pitcher in our bullpen has closing experience, except for Neal Cotts. What makes Brantley think this?

veeter
04-23-2005, 09:41 AM
During spring training ESPN covered a Sox game, Brantley and Steve Stone were in the booth with another guy. After an impressive Sox win the other guy says reluctantly, "the Sox look good." Brantley and Stone didn't say a thing. The Sox for some reason are seemingly hated by ESPN. I just don't get it. But Jeff Brantley almost takes it personally when they win. Like he's pissed off.

Ol' No. 2
04-23-2005, 09:42 AM
You know, if the Sox do make the playoffs, this stuff would make great fodder for the scoreboard before the game.

samram
04-23-2005, 09:44 AM
What makes Brantley think this?

What makes him think this is his lack of intelligence. Frankly, "think" is a stretch when it comes to anyone working on BBTN.

BearSox
04-23-2005, 09:47 AM
Brantley, by his remarks of "No Way" when asked if the Sox will make it, sounds like he's willing to hang his career on it. He's left himself no room for error with that remark so I'll hold him to it and hopefully his boss holds him to it as well.

MIgrenade
04-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Normally I would say you rae over reacting to the bad press but what gets me is ESPN seems to have embraced the Dodgers despite saying they would be bad too. Suddenly we have to give the Dodgers respect but the Sox are no good.

LongLiveFisk
04-23-2005, 10:13 AM
I just posted about resident geekboy Jeff Brantley (:dtroll: ) in the Sox Clubhouse. It amazes me how these guys get so defensive and pissy about who will win what division. You would think these people own stock in the Twins the way they keep kissing Minnesota ass.

BUT you can continually expect this b.s. until the Sox prove they can knock off the Twins. (Great start or not, unfortunately.)

eastchicagosoxfan
04-23-2005, 10:42 AM
I just saw the clip of Brantley and Bowa. What a lack of professionalism. The Sox are playing well, and this Brantley fellow can't stand it. What's his background? It's a long season, but every win counts, even the ones in April. I generally shy away from ESPN, watching today for some draft info, it represents too much about what's wrong with sports.

StockdaleForVeep
04-23-2005, 11:34 AM
We all know should the sox make the playoffs, he will say he's been sayin this all along that how good the sox are.

samram
04-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Normally I would say you rae over reacting to the bad press but what gets me is ESPN seems to have embraced the Dodgers despite saying they would be bad too. Suddenly we have to give the Dodgers respect but the Sox are no good.

Well, remember that the Dodgers did win the division last year. However, it's interesting that KW and DePodesta were possibly the most criticized GMs this offseason (I thought DePodesta was crazy at one point), and now they have the best records in their leagues. Obviously, it's early, and anything can happen, but I would love for both to be in the playoffs just so all the national experts could be proven wrong.

SOXSINCE'70
04-23-2005, 11:48 AM
If Jeff Brantley KNOWS the Sox won't make the playoffs,i'd like
him to use his clairvoyant powers to tell me something really
important.For example,when I will find a job. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Palehose Pete
04-23-2005, 11:57 AM
I was going to say the same thing about the Dodgers and BBTN's 180 degree turn in their opinion of them. Meanwhile, the Sox are the red-headed step children in BBTN's house. Well, screw 'em.

SOXSINCE'70
04-23-2005, 12:06 PM
the Sox are the red-headed step children in BBTN's house.

The Chicago White Sox are the red headed step children of
Chicago,period.Until they win something (an A.L. pennant and
WS in my lifetime would be nice),that won't change.

JB98
04-23-2005, 12:24 PM
As a fanbase, we are too thin-skinned, and we get way too pissed off about these types of comments. Consider the source. Jeff Brantley is one of the worst baseball commentators of all time. Who cares what he thinks? When you listen to these guys talk, remember that they are paid to have an opinion. That's all it is, an opinion. It doesn't have any more value than the BS we argue about on this Web site.

It seems that every year at this time, we're talking about how the ESPN guys are going to have to eat crow once we make the playoffs. Well, we haven't made the playoffs in five years, and Reynolds, Brantley, et al haven't had to eat crow. I'm not surprised they're skeptical. Hell, I'm still skeptical about the Sox. It's been a great start, yet I find myself waiting for the inevitable losing streak. That's what generations upon generations of horsecrap teams will do to you. I don't have the confidence to declare us a force to be reckoned with just yet. Therefore, it's hard for me to be real critical of our enemies in the press, both local and national.

veeter
04-23-2005, 12:29 PM
As a fanbase, we are too thin-skinned, and we get way too pissed off about these types of comments. Consider the source. Jeff Brantley is one of the worst baseball commentators of all time. Who cares what he thinks? When you listen to these guys talk, remember that they are paid to have an opinion. That's all it is, an opinion. It doesn't have any more value than the BS we argue about on this Web site.

It seems that every year at this time, we're talking about how the ESPN guys are going to have to eat crow once we make the playoffs. Well, we haven't made the playoffs in five years, and Reynolds, Brantley, et al haven't had to eat crow. I'm not surprised they're skeptical. Hell, I'm still skeptical about the Sox. It's been a great start, yet I find myself waiting for the inevitable losing streak. That's what generations upon generations of horsecrap teams will do to you. I don't have the confidence to declare us a force to be reckoned with just yet. Therefore, it's hard for me to be real critical of our enemies in the press, both local and national. Hey Mr."waiting for the inevitable losing streak" why don't you go root for the Cubs.

santo=dorf
04-23-2005, 12:34 PM
Anyone else think Brantley is the love child of Steven Seagal and Jim Belushi? :?:

StockdaleForVeep
04-23-2005, 12:46 PM
The Chicago White Sox are the red headed step children of
Chicago,period.Until they win something (an A.L. pennant and
WS in my lifetime would be nice),that won't change.

Even with that, things wouldnt change

Lip Man 1
04-23-2005, 01:03 PM
JB98:

You are exactly correct. One time a Saints fan called me upset that I, on air picked the Falcons to win the playoff game for later that week. I based it on a few reasons, one of which was Deion Sanders.

After hearing him bitch me out I said something to the effect of 'what does that say about you a Saints fan, when you let a stranger upset you like this? What does that say about your faith in your team when my comment can bug you like this?'

That shut him up quickly.

Lip

fquaye149
04-23-2005, 01:12 PM
JB98:

You are exactly correct. One time a Saints fan called me upset that I, on air picked the Falcons to win the playoff game for later that week. I based it on a few reasons, one of which was Deion Sanders.

After hearing him bitch me out I said something to the effect of 'what does that say about you a Saints fan, when you let a stranger upset you like this? What does that say about your faith in your team when my comment can bug you like this?'

That shut him up quickly.

Lip

Lip, I don't think we put too much stock in what Brantley says and he sure doesn't shake most of our faith in the team. But let's be realistic. Did you have a chip on your shoulders about the Saints, or take pleasure in their losing or speak resentfully about them winning? If you did, then your situation is comparable to Brantley.

I could care less if Brantley says we'll lose...but he seems to take offense to us winning. That is inexcusable. Ignorance and Vendettas are the two things I do not forgive in sports journalism. So yes, I'll get upset at Mariotti's b.s. campaign against Hawk and yes, I'll get upset when Ken Rosenthal says Podsednik plays center.

And I think my fellow White Sox fans (you included) have a right to get upset about it too.

Lip Man 1
04-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Fquaye:

No I didn't make my pick in a disrespectful manner, I gave three or four reasons like I said. One was Sanders (who had a great game), two was overall team speed and some other factors.

You certainly have the right to get mad, when a guy like Ken makes a mistake (he admitted to me he had a brain cramp , no excuse for it, according to him) I just don't put the same weight on it like some others do. Some others seem to take it as a personal affront to their manhood. To me it's just a mistake...despite what some think, it's not easy following 30 MLB teams no matter how much you are getting paid for it.

The bottom line is still the same for me, respect comes from winning. If the Sox finally win, the other things will take care of themselves. (and before you mention the Cubs, they are the exception to the rule as we have discussed before...however I'll say that I think part of the reason that got started was out of sympathy...'oh those lovable losers.' I don't know about you but I don't want the Sox being condensended to.)

Lip

Chisox003
04-23-2005, 01:38 PM
God, dont get me started on Jeff freaking Brantley.

This guy never has anything good to say about the Sox, and really, Ill have fun hating him and watching the Sox prove his hillbilly ass wrong...

Jeff Brantley is a greasy, uninformed hick who has no clue what the hell he's talking about. Whoever considers him as a credible source should be shot. Go do nascar Brantley.

(Seems like guys like this automatically get put on TV and become analysts for ESPN, No?)

Edit: Does anyone have his exact, or close to, his exact quote?

The Racehorse
04-23-2005, 02:03 PM
This morning on Sport Center Jeff Brantley said, "There's going to be a lot of crying in the beer in Chicago. I don't care what kind of start the Sox are having there's no way they are making the playoffs. Look to Minnesota."

Doesn't matter if those are his exact words, or if they're a paraphrase... that is one of the all-time bush league statement's ever. :kukoo:

:tsk: Shame on ESPN.

veeter
04-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Those were his exact words.

fquaye149
04-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Fquaye:

No I didn't make my pick in a disrespectful manner, I gave three or four reasons like I said. One was Sanders (who had a great game), two was overall team speed and some other factors.

You certainly have the right to get mad, when a guy like Ken makes a mistake (he admitted to me he had a brain cramp , no excuse for it, according to him) I just don't put the same weight on it like some others do. Some others seem to take it as a personal affront to their manhood. To me it's just a mistake...despite what some think, it's not easy following 30 MLB teams no matter how much you are getting paid for it.

The bottom line is still the same for me, respect comes from winning. If the Sox finally win, the other things will take care of themselves. (and before you mention the Cubs, they are the exception to the rule as we have discussed before...however I'll say that I think part of the reason that got started was out of sympathy...'oh those lovable losers.' I don't know about you but I don't want the Sox being condensended to.)

Lip

Absolutely. I'd love to win. I don't want people gushing over us when we don't deserve it. It's just that when Brantley makes a pick he says smartass stuff that sounds like he's a drunk cub fan taking potshots.

I wasn't that upset over Rosenthal's blunder. It's just that sloppy reporting is getting all too common, and when people like Neyer pick us to finish 3rd, their opinion is tainted by the fact that they forgot that we acquired Dye in the offseason. Therefore, we will get defensive. An opinion is an opinion and is not wrong, but some when the empirical evidence behind one opinion is flat out incorrect some opinions are better than others (and some opinions' mothers are better than other opinions' mothers).

beckett21
04-23-2005, 02:58 PM
This morning on Sport Center Jeff Brantley said, "There's going to be a lot of crying in the beer in Chicago. I don't care what kind of start the Sox are having there's no way they are making the playoffs. Look to Minnesota." The panel was some lackey, Larry Bowa and Brantley. They thought the pitching would eventually collapse and be their downfall. Also during the highlights the guy says, "Juan Uribe and his .281 on base percentage hits a double." ESPN continue's it smart remarks and put downs on the Sox. It seems the Sox success is irritating to these guys. Actually I love it.

Haven't used this guy in awhile, but appropriate in this case:

:whocares

Jeff Brantley's opinion and ESPN's opinion mean zilch. I can't stomach Baseball Tonight anymore. Blech.

Jeff Brantley will be driving the bandwagon in August, saying how he knew how good this team was all along. :rolleyes:

Chisox003
04-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Haven't used this guy in awhile, but appropriate in this case:

:whocares

Jeff Brantley's opinion and ESPN's opinion mean zilch. I can't stomach Baseball Tonight anymore. Blech.

Jeff Brantley will be driving the bandwagon in August, saying how he knew how good this team was all along. :rolleyes:

For this reason, I am quoting him and putting it in my signature so we can look back and say "Told Ya"

S05X

jdm2662
04-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Jeff Brantley hates the White Sox, plain and simple.

I've said this before, and I will say it again, I'm going to cherish this season if the White Sox keep winning. If you don't want to be a Sox fan because its not cool to be one, so be it. It's your loss. It's one thing to have an opinion on something, but its another to use personal feelings on reporting the news which guys like Brantley and Marrioti do. ESPN has turned into a joke (well, any network that hires Marrioti is one), and they can stay that way. Let them cry because they made stupid predictions that makes them look bad. Let them continue to trash the Sox. You don't think Ozzie uses this to motiviate the team? I know when I'm angered over comments that I can't do something, it makes me work even harder to accomplish my goals. Redemption is a wonderful feeling.
________
Pissing Face (http://www.****tube.com/categories/821/face/videos/1)

JB98
04-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Hey Mr."waiting for the inevitable losing streak" why don't you go root for the Cubs.

Because I've been a diehard White Sox fan for 23 of my soon-to-be 29 years on this Earth. Next question.

rainbow6
04-23-2005, 09:47 PM
Anyone hear Hawk and DJ discuss this tonight? Hawk's quote was "those guys analyze about as well they played..."

Brilliant.

Luke

Brian26
04-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Anyone else think Brantley is the love child of Steven Seagal and Jim Belushi? :?:

LOL. Does he still have the greasy, curly mullet? He looks like the typical hockey commentator actually.

LongLiveFisk
04-23-2005, 10:14 PM
LOL. Does he still have the greasy, curly mullet? He looks like the typical hockey commentator actually.

Yep. In fact it's people like him that gave the mullet a bad name in the first place!

JB98
04-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Yep. In fact it's people like him that gave the mullet a bad name in the first place!

Maybe the Sox should invite him to the Cell for Mullet Night.
:D:

Brian26
04-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Maybe the Sox should invite him to the Cell for Mullet Night.
:D:

:farmer

"And bring your friend Steve Phillips and his goatee and come actually watch us play a game!"

santo=dorf
04-23-2005, 10:41 PM
http://centerstage.net/stumped/photoarchive/282.jpg+http://www.ctv.ca/archives/CTVShows/images/20031002/AccordingToJim-bios-belushi/according_belushi_235x178.jpg=http://www.homeruncards.com/imagesplayers/brantley.jpg

Banix12
04-23-2005, 11:26 PM
Who cares what they think? You know they probably didn't watch the game, or most of the sox games for that matter, they were probably reading their opinion off a damn teleprompter anyway and it was probably written by an associate producer or maybe even an intern who saw a couple clips of the win and then looked at the box score.

The only person who has a valid opinion on how the season is going to end is the guy with a time machine.

These were the same people who said the Marlins had no chance in 03'. Or were too busy drooling over the Mariners and A's in 02' to notice the Angels. The same people who were too busy fawning over the Cubs and Astros last season to notice the Cardinals. These are the guys who usually pick the Yankees to win it all every year, because it's the easy, safe answer.

These guys are almost never right, take their blowoff as a compliment

popilius
04-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Why is our bullpen going to falter later in the season? Every single pitcher in our bullpen has closing experience, except for Neal Cotts. What makes Brantley think this?

'Cause he's an idiot.

I'm saving his quote and sending it to him when the Sox make the playoffs. I'm actually going to copy it over and over, hundreds of times on a 10-page document and send it to him every day throughout the playoffs.

They're messing with the wrong fans, and I'll prove it.

:gulp:

Maximo
04-24-2005, 07:06 AM
Actually, I found Bowa's comments more attention getting. He basically said, "the Sox won't win the AL Central, but I think they'll compete for the 'Wildcard' all year."

I thought Bowa, and everyone else at ESPN, have pretty much conceded that the 'Wildcard' winner will be the 2nd place team in the AL East.......either the 'Evil Empire' or the 'House of David'.

Loosely translated, Bowa is inferring that the Sox aren't good enough to finish ahead of the Twins in their own division, but they are good enough to finish with a better record than the Yankees or Red Sox in the American League.

Makes no sense.

Tragg
04-24-2005, 08:03 AM
Well, remember that the Dodgers did win the division last year. However, it's interesting that KW and DePodesta were possibly the most criticized GMs this offseason (I thought DePodesta was crazy at one point), and now they have the best records in their leagues. Obviously, it's early, and anything can happen, but I would love for both to be in the playoffs just so all the national experts could be proven wrong.

Initially, I thought the Lee trade was absurd - and from a talent/talent standpoint, it wasn't a giveaway, but it wasn't even either. But then, after reading and considering things, I came to realize that it was a really smart trade in this day of "salary cap", albeit self-imposed. The trade cleared cap room. It allowed us to sign the 2b and El Duque and AJ (or some combination of those 3). So we ended up with 5 players, none of whom are stiffs. It gave us more flexibility in not having so much of the payroll tied into one player.

No one expects our streak to continue throughout the season, but it would be nice if the talking heads would do some analysis. "The bullpen will fold" - based on what? That looked to be the strength of the team on paper coming into the season. Maybe no rock-closer, but solid long relievers and one of the best left-handed relievers in the game over the past several years in Marte. I guess Marte is like MB - he doesn't "wow" people, he's just consistently puts forth good peformances.

SoupAppling
04-24-2005, 09:26 AM
Anyone hear Hawk and DJ discuss this tonight? Hawk's quote was "those guys analyze about as well they played..."

Brilliant.

Luke

I was going to bring that up. That was a definite classic from Hawk.

Evman5
04-24-2005, 09:31 AM
http://centerstage.net/stumped/photoarchive/282.jpg+http://www.ctv.ca/archives/CTVShows/images/20031002/AccordingToJim-bios-belushi/according_belushi_235x178.jpg=http://www.homeruncards.com/imagesplayers/brantley.jpg

Haha I love it.

Fredsox
04-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Have you all noticed that the worm is beginning to turn a bit? Nothing drastic, but slowly we're starting to see more positive press locally and nationally. If the White Sox are still dominating the league in June it is my belief that all of the great prognosticators (Gammons, Stark, the idiots from Fox, etc.) will not only be singing the praises of Ozzie Ball with their lips firmly glued to the Sox's collective butts (awful image), but they will spend an equal time savaging the Yankees for failing with a $200 million payroll.

At this time it would be great to pull out those pre-season predictions that had the Yankees killing everyone and the Sox looking up at the Twins, Tigers, and Indians.

Ol' No. 2
04-24-2005, 10:12 AM
I still say they should get tapes of all these "prognosticators", string them together and play them on the scoreboard before the game if they make it into the playoffs.

cheeses_h_rice
04-24-2005, 11:56 AM
I still say they should get tapes of all these "prognosticators", string them together and play them on the scoreboard before the game if they make it into the playoffs.

...and thus cementing the Sox as an also-ran in each of the above individuals' preseason picks from now until eternity?

No thanks.

I say the best way to handle all this "disrespect" is to just win, and go all the way. Stand above the fray, and let the chips fall where they will.

LongLiveFisk
04-24-2005, 12:06 PM

Brilliant.

Luke

LOL..I love it. You gotta love the Hawkeroo--he says what's on his mind and if you don't like it, tough.

:hawk
"Spinmeisters!!"

Ol' No. 2
04-24-2005, 04:49 PM
...and thus cementing the Sox as an also-ran in each of the above individuals' preseason picks from now until eternity?

No thanks.

I say the best way to handle all this "disrespect" is to just win, and go all the way. Stand above the fray, and let the chips fall where they will.Who gives a damn? I say rub their noses in it.

SOXPHILE
04-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Have any of those morons ever said the words "I was wrong about (team X)" ?

shoota
04-24-2005, 10:18 PM

Nice job santo=dorf, especially on the finding matching Segal and Brantley expressions. That probably took some time.

I would love to see that happen. It would certainly get us fans amped for the game.

tstrike2000
04-24-2005, 10:37 PM
ESPN's baseball panelists are the worst of the sports they cover in my opinion. I can seem some redeeming qualities about their football, basketball, hockey and even boxing analysts. However, guys like Jeff Brantley are just another in the list of people that ESPN is throwing their money away on. There's no way the Sox can make the playoffs? There's no way this guy should be giving his opinion on baseball. I remember him as a pitcher and I remember him getting bombed on a pretty consistant basis. Wy would anyone listen to a guy with a career ERA of almost 5.00? Apparently, ESPN does.

TomParrish79
04-25-2005, 12:06 AM
Brantley is an idiot, plain and simple.

I got a friend who is a diehard Cardinals fan that reminds me every now and then when we are talking about this moron, that Brantley is one of the few that played for the Cardinals and actually got boo'd at home.

He should just keep his mouth shut and worry about putting hair gel in that pre-skullet he has going on.

infohawk
04-25-2005, 08:59 AM
I don't know if Brantley personally likes the Sox or not. I wonder, however, if any dislike might be because of Reinsdorf's activism on the side of the owners during the 1994 baseball strike.

Hangar18
04-25-2005, 11:11 AM
During spring training ESPN covered a Sox game, Brantley and Steve Stone were in the booth with another guy. After an impressive Sox win the other guy says reluctantly, "the Sox look good." Brantley and Stone didn't say a thing. The Sox for some reason are seemingly hated by ESPN. I just don't get it. But Jeff Brantley almost takes it personally when they win. Like he's pissed off.

ESPN and Jeff Brantley are pissed its not Cubs starting 15-4. Im not surprised at all, tinfoil and all. Its the weirdest thing. Were being IGNORED big time by the Media here and nationwide. And some of the people who are talking? Your hearing junk like this. I hope we keep going, and see
how fast the Media gets on the bandwagon .......or not.

October headlines if SOX make the Playoffs. "Cubs miss Playoffs!"

mikehuff
04-25-2005, 11:43 AM
We should make a collection of all this ripping and all these quotes. Then we can put them side by side once they jump on the bandwagon and start talking about how "Ozzie just wants his guys to have fun and that's why they are in the World Series"

spongyfungy
04-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Maybe Bowa just loves the twins. I still can't believe he thinks the White Sox will win the wild card. In fact it's kind of refreshing.

JB98
04-25-2005, 12:34 PM
Maybe Bowa just loves the twins. I still can't believe he thinks the White Sox will win the wild card. In fact it's kind of refreshing.

At least Bowa acknowledges the possibility of the Sox being in contention all year. I would love for the wild card to come out of either the Central or the West. A playoff free of Yankees and/or Red Sox would suit me just fine.

TomParrish79
04-25-2005, 01:06 PM
What amazed me about Bowa, is that he said that Ozzie did something a manager should never do. But then again, I guess Larry is forgetting the million times he showed his tail on the field in Philly, and not to mention his feud with Scott Rolen.

But hey he is a broadcast journalist now, he has probably forgotten all about his actions of the past.

Foulke29
04-25-2005, 02:33 PM
You know what's funny - even if the Sox went all the way and won the World Series, guys like this would say:

You know - this is the worst baseball team to win the World Series ever. If you put them up against any other former WS winner, Sox lose in four."