PDA

View Full Version : Quality Starts: The key to a solid rotation

chisoxfanatic
04-23-2005, 01:22 AM
Credit this pitching rotation with another quality start for a MLB-leading 12, IIRC. It is great to know that, on any given day, our pitchers will go to war and leave everything on the field. It's a wonderful feeling not having to reach for the antacids at the beginning of games like in years past, because we really didn't have quality pitching behind the first two or three guys in the rotation. Could this be the start to something special?

Before the start of the season, I didn't think this team would see any more than 50 quality starts (the other victories coming from bullpen pitchers or moderate-scoring affairs), but they could very well get roughly as many quality starts as Podsednik has stolen bases at the end of the season (could be a nice challenge between Scott and the pitching staff as well).

How many quality starts do you see this pitching rotation ending up with?

elrod
04-23-2005, 02:24 AM
What exactly is a quality start? 3 runs in 6IP?

Nellie_Fox
04-23-2005, 02:45 AM
What exactly is a quality start? 3 runs in 6IP? Yep. A starting pitcher is credited with a quality start if he pitches at least six innings and allows three or fewer earned runs.

Ol' No. 2
04-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Credit this pitching rotation with another quality start for a MLB-leading 12, IIRC. It is great to know that, on any given day, our pitchers will go to war and leave everything on the field. It's a wonderful feeling not having to reach for the antacids at the beginning of games like in years past, because we really didn't have quality pitching behind the first two or three guys in the rotation. Could this be the start to something special?

Before the start of the season, I didn't think this team would see any more than 50 quality starts (the other victories coming from bullpen pitchers or moderate-scoring affairs), but they could very well get roughly as many quality starts as Podsednik has stolen bases at the end of the season (could be a nice challenge between Scott and the pitching staff as well).

How many quality starts do you see this pitching rotation ending up with?Even mediocre pitchers turn in quality starts about 50% of the time. The best get up to 65-70% or even a bit higher. You can do the math.

Meixner007
04-23-2005, 11:04 AM
From what I remember didn't the sox have a lot of QS last year? The problem was the offense decided to take a lot of days off, or the BP couldn't hold it. We've solidified our BP this year, and while our offense may not be as powerful, I am far more confident they will keep us in games rather than out of games.