PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard of Ozzie...

nordhagen
04-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Just curious on everyone's thoughts about all the recent riffs Ozzie has gone on about with the media - particularly of late. Some would say it's best to keep quiet and not hack off the opposition. Others probably think this is all a lot of fun.

I know after years of boredom and mopery from the dugout by Jerry, Terry and Cheer Up Sleepy Gene Lamont, I find it kind of enjoyable and funny. The guy has never been afraid to speak his mind and if it leads to some heated rivalries, that's cool. Plus, baseball isn't like football where you might use stuff to get fired up to try and pound the heck out of someone. Try that in baseball and you're likely to strike out 3 times or get ripped on the mound.

I also like the fact Ozzie isn't afraid to call out his own guys. This is how the guy was as a player - at times he probably yapped too much but he's no phony.

For some of the old guard, it probably would bring back memories of Eddie Stanky, who in '67 had a terrible-hitting, great-pitching team that stayed in a four-team pennant race (and should have won) until the final weekend. I was just born but I've read a lot of the history on this where he called Carl Yastrzemski "an all-star from the neck down", locked vice president Hubert Humphrey out of his locker room and said to the effect "what the heck do I need to talk to him for," had numerous battles with the media and poked fun at his .225 hitting team hanging with the more powerful Red Sox, Tigers and Twins all summer.

Anyway, it certainly spices things up a lot during a long season that can get monotonous at times. And as long as he keeps control of his own clubhouse (memo to Crusty Faker up north) I like it.

Frank the Tank
04-22-2005, 09:11 PM
I might be in the minority, but I love a loud-mouthed controversial manager. Keep it up Ozzie !!

oeo
04-22-2005, 10:36 PM
I agree, I don't have a problem with it, but the media hates it. Do they not understand what a scumbag Ordonez is and what he keeps saying about the Sox and Ozzie? They would rather look at what Ozzie said instead of the reasons he is saying it. Ordonez really needs to shut his mouth...maybe that put an end to it.

illiniwhitesox
04-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Can't believe what they showed on baseball tonight, with Ozzie repeatedly throwing out the F-bomb regarding Mags.

Usually I don't agree with the commentators, but on this one I had to. Can't understand why Ozzie would lose a sense of reality and know that he just gave bulletin board material to the Tigers.

Have always like Ozzie's fire, but would like him to be a little more cerebral on how he approaches the media and opponents.

kevingrt
04-22-2005, 11:04 PM
Ozzie kinda needs to keep his emotions intact when talking to the media. Rants like the one he had on Maggs can hurt the team's reputation espcially in front of the national media who don't exactly know the White Sox or Ozzie Guillen. But Maggs deserved it somewhat and I can't blame Guillen for what he did. He should have jsut done it in front of his players or wife or something.

Funny guy though

FarWestChicago
04-22-2005, 11:08 PM
Shut the hell up you ****ing bunch of wussies!! Last I checked, Chicago was a town with some character. You ****ing politcally correct "oh please don't offend anybody mister" sissies are an insult to our heritage. Go root for the Flubs. They are all things media friendly. My god, you guys are an embarrassment. This is baseball, there is no "oh my sensitivities" in baseball!! :rolleyes:

MeanFish
04-22-2005, 11:12 PM
Shut the hell up you ****ing bunch of wussies!! Last I checked, Chicago was a town with some character. You ****ing politcally correct "oh please don't offend anybody mister" sissies are an insult to our heritage. Go root for the Flubs. They are all things media friendly. My god, you guys are an embarrassment. This is baseball, there is no "oh my sensitivities" in baseball!! :rolleyes:

:bundy

Fake Chet Lemon
04-22-2005, 11:13 PM
Good or bad, the rants on Frank and Maggs have finally gotten this team on the National Radar. Maybe Ozzie is smarter than we give him credit for. Yes, I doubt it too. But overall, I don't think any of this affects the team in the long run either way. So Ozzie, don't change. Keep the fire.

itsnotrequired
04-22-2005, 11:18 PM

Du Hast! Still, I like Ozzie's attitude. Seriously, what are you supposed to say when someone says you are their "enemy"?

GO OZZIE and GO SOX!!!

FarWestChicago
04-22-2005, 11:18 PM
:bundySo you side with wussies?

Banix12
04-22-2005, 11:19 PM
I agree, I don't have a problem with it, but the media hates it.

Trust me, when you hear the media talking all you hear is outrage, but secretly in all the newsrooms they love Ozzie's style. He's the gift that keeps on giving, a manager who is popular with fans who will say whatever comes to his mind without a censor button. It's the kind of stuff that gets listeners to call in to talk radio and the stuff that sells newspapers.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2005, 11:21 PM
Stanky's quote on Hubert was as follows..."what do I need Humphrey for? Can he hit?" said outside the Sox locker room in Minnesota on August 13, 1967.

Lip

spawn
04-22-2005, 11:21 PM
I personally love that Ozzie stuck up for himself in this situation. Jerry Manuel would've sat back and let money maggs walk all over him. Ozzie has some backbone and fight in him. I would think we as Sox fans would appreciate that. Sure, he may say something stupid, but if I played for him, I know he would have my back.

fincher
04-22-2005, 11:30 PM
No problem with Ozzie not holding back. It's fun stuff. Just about everything is fun when you're winning. If things turn south, it'll be a different story.

Shorty1983
04-22-2005, 11:31 PM
[bleep] you!

JoseCanseco6969
04-22-2005, 11:52 PM
I personally love that Ozzie stuck up for himself in this situation. Jerry Manuel would've sat back and let money maggs walk all over him. Ozzie has some backbone and fight in him. I would think we as Sox fans would appreciate that. Sure, he may say something stupid, but if I played for him, I know he would have my back.

Jerry would probably open one eye to read the comments Maggs said and then go back to his slumber.

Viva Medias B's
04-23-2005, 12:04 AM
Did BBTN actually show the audio of Ozzie's words of love for Ordonez?

NSSoxFan
04-23-2005, 12:10 AM
I pity anyone who thinks Ozzie is doing anything wrong here. Yea, he should just let Queen Magglio I attack his credibility, and say nothing!

And for those of you that think this stuff is going to somehow effect the clubhouse, your on crack. These guys come to do their jobs, I doubt many of them read Chicago newspapers when they are in KANSAS CITY. I support Ozzie 110%, I don't know what's wrong with the rest of you that don't.

Bobbo35
04-23-2005, 12:12 AM
Personally I love the fact that we have a manager that has some gonads. Media no media, he spoke his mind. That is what this country is based on isn't it.
Maggs is bad mouthing Ozzie, what do you expect him to do? I would have done the same thing. It also gives the players on the Sox a good sense of comfort knowing that you have a manager that you know will back you a 100%. This isn't a beauty contest here, he is here to win a championship.

Go Sox!

elrod
04-23-2005, 12:48 AM
Anybody have the Ozzie quotes? Even cleaned up? I love Ozzie calling Maggs out though I somehow think he's overreacting. I think by "enemy" Maggs meant that he now plays for a division rival and so the White Sox are the Tigers' enemy, not that Guillen is Maggs' personal enemy. But then maybe there's more to it.

TornLabrum
04-23-2005, 01:16 AM
Did BBTN actually show the audio of Ozzie's words of love for Ordonez?

Yeah, and could we hear the video, too?:D:

IowaSox1971
04-23-2005, 02:42 AM
It's tough to get players to have an aggressive attitude if you're a manager who does not respond to attacks on your character. So, Ozzie should keep talking. I liked Ozzie's comments about Buehrle/Wood/Prior, and I thought it was fine that he ripped Magglio, who seems to forget that Ozzie helped convince Schueler to give an unknown outfielder from Venezuela a shot at the majors. I think Ozzie is sending a message to opposing teams that last year is gone, and we're not going to back down from Torii Hunter or anybody else this year, even if Ozzie's just responding to quotes in the media. I also think it was good that Ozzie got on Frank's case a bit. He let Frank know that he's in charge and that he had better be ready to play if/when he returns. Ozzie has motivated Frank in the past, so I trust that he knows what he's doing.

Some of Ozzie's comments about opponents could come back to haunt us, because the Tigers and Cubs might have more motivation, but having a manager stick up for himself and his players probably is more important. And his comments are, for now, taking pressure off the players, and you can't argue with the results. Instead of Jermaine Dye being asked about his slump or Shingo being asked about his struggles, the media are focusing on Ozzie's feuds. And that's fine. We're winning.

nasox
04-23-2005, 09:42 AM
Geez, white sox fans are so reactive and unreasonable. You wanted a manager who wasn't the reincarnation of Ghandi, you got one. You wanted a manager that wasn't afraid to tell his players, the fans, the media, and management what he thinks. You got one. So why are all you idiots complaining when Ozzie does what he was partially brought in to do? Get a friggen grip, and stop being such trolls.

:dtroll: :angry:

fquaye149
04-23-2005, 09:51 AM
^^^ right f-ing on. If you don't like what Ozzie has to say, I'm sure you and Mariotti would have a lot to talk about over beers. You could discuss his latest column

Oh, but I forgot - sometimes EVEN mariotti is right about things

like the clever nickname blizzard of oz

gosox41
04-24-2005, 09:10 AM
I might be in the minority, but I love a loud-mouthed controversial manager. Keep it up Ozzie !!

I wish Ozzie would shut up. Like I side in another thread, it's easy to listen to him yap when the team is winning, but it's going to get old when the team hits a losing streak (which happens to about every team.)

Bob

Jaffar
04-24-2005, 09:43 AM
What Ozzie is doing is great, both in the clubhouse and in the media. There will definately be no clubhouse cancers on his team, they would probably be afraid of Ozzie calling them out in the post game interviews. A couple names come to mind, Lou Pinella and Bobby Knight (insert yours here). Don't most of you and the national media include them with the greatest managers/coachs in thier respective sports? I know Ozzie is no were near the same level but he is the same kind of manager. The more I watch post game interviews and hear what is said this team is sounding more like the Bulls and Skiles, even after a really good win they just aren't pleased with the performance and thought they could do better. Most of the time you would think the Bulls lost when you heard Skiles talk post game and look at what they are doing.

Ken
04-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Does anyone have a link to the audio file of Ozzie's blast on Mags??

beckett21
04-24-2005, 01:06 PM
I wish Ozzie would shut up. Like I side in another thread, it's easy to listen to him yap when the team is winning, but it's going to get old when the team hits a losing streak (which happens to about every team.)

Bob

Ozzie was responding to an attack on his character. The fact that he stood up for himself should not be held against him, albeit he probably could have done it a little more tactfully. But why should he have just let that jagbag have the only word?:?:

It's nice to have a little fire coming from the dugout. I think it sends a positive message to his players that he will stand behind them as well. As opposed to his predecessor...

fincher
04-24-2005, 10:10 PM
Gee. I think most of us here like Ozzie and for the fact he stands up and speaks his mind. Ozzie is awesome. Period.

The test is in how Ozzie handles things when the teams flounders, which hopefully won't be for a long time.

Ozzie is good the the Sox, good for management, good for fans, good for Chicago and good for baseball. We need more like him.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Ozzie is kind of reminding me of Da Coach. He took on other teams, calling their home turf the Roller Dome up in Minnesota. I think he even wore skates, right? He lit up a victory cigar on Monday Night football. Like Frank and Ozzie (this is overblown), he didn't always see eye to eye with McMahon and others on the team. Ditka always said what was on his mind. Hell, he was fighting with his own coaches. Buddy Ryan and him were oil and water. So now I guess Ozzie needs to start a war with Harold Baines. It will be a short war.

Ozzie: "Hey Harold, ****!"

Baines: " <insert silence here> "

Ozzie, aka: DA MANAGER???????

Dan H
04-25-2005, 08:01 AM
Ozzie is kind of reminding me of Da Coach. He took on other teams, calling their home turf the Roller Dome up in Minnesota. I think he even wore skates, right? He lit up a victory cigar on Monday Night football. Like Frank and Ozzie (this is overblown), he didn't always see eye to eye with McMahon and others on the team. Ditka always said what was on his mind. Hell, he was fighting with his own coaches. Buddy Ryan and him were oil and water. So now I guess Ozzie needs to start a war with Harold Baines. It will be a short war.

Ozzie: "Hey Harold, ****!"

Baines: " <insert silence here> "

Ozzie, aka: DA MANAGER???????

And the Ditka stuff got old after a time, not to mention the Bears should have won more than one Super Bowl.

I like a manager who sticks up for himself and his team. However, Lee and Olivo are not with the Sox anymore and to my knowledge have not engaged Guillen in any war of words. It was as if he was trying to justify trades even though from all indications fans liked these trades.

Secondly, not responding to Ordenez may have been a better way to handle that situation. You can answer the attack quickly and then move on which will diffuse any more talk from Magglio. I was on Magglio's side for a long time, but I'm sick of his complaining. He has the contract he wanted, so what he is complaining about? The idea is to move on. Ozzie needs to cool it, and bring out the fire when you really need it. And did all the Thomas lovers like the way Ozzie went after Frank?

eastchicagosoxfan
04-25-2005, 09:04 AM
I think Ozzie lit Big Frank up to set the tone with the guy. Frank is going to travel with the team, and Ozzie was telling him, very publicly, that the attitude that prevailed on this team for the past several years was history. Not just Frank's attitude, but the overall attitude had changed. Ozzie told Frank, don't get on the bus, unless you want to be on my bus.

Ozzie said something to the effect that he was happy with the record, but he was really pleased with his team. If Frank comes up in the bottom of the eighth, with a man on second, and no outs, in a tie game, the ball better be to the right of second base. Just missing a homerun to left on a long flyout isn't cutting it. Pablo Ozuna played first yesterday, because Ozzie played to win that game. He wanted the run. Jerry Manuel would have played not to lose.

gosox41
04-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Ozzie was responding to an attack on his character. The fact that he stood up for himself should not be held against him, albeit he probably could have done it a little more tactfully. But why should he have just let that jagbag have the only word?:?:

It's nice to have a little fire coming from the dugout. I think it sends a positive message to his players that he will stand behind them as well. As opposed to his predecessor...

WHat aobut the comments he made on Frank, Carlos, and Miguel recently?

It gets old.

Bob