PDA

View Full Version : Comcast says NO to Nationals/Orioles

Fenway
04-22-2005, 03:06 PM
This is going to get ugly very ugly

Selig has to be VERY careful here because Comcast controls a lions share of the wire going into the nations homes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7305-2005Apr21.html

Hopes that Washington Nationals games will soon have widespread exposure on local cable television suffered a major blow yesterday when Comcast SportsNet filed a lawsuit against Major League Baseball, the Baltimore Orioles and their fledgling Mid-Atlantic Sports Network.
Comcast said it will not televise Nationals games on its cable system throughout the Baltimore-Washington region while the suit is being litigated, other than the 76 or so games already scheduled on WDCA-20 (UPN) and nationally televised games on ESPN and Fox. The Philadelphia-based cable company serves 1.65 million subscribers in the Baltimore-Washington region.

Fenway
04-22-2005, 03:21 PM
to make things worse the Nats games are being televised on a channel that NOBODY gets except the people with Extra Innings ( or mlb.com ) since no Washington cable company has picked up Mid-Atlantic Sports Network ( not to be confused with Comcast Sports Mid-Atlantic.

and radio isn't much better

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7731-2005Apr21.html

The farther you get from the seats at RFK Stadium, the harder it is to see or hear a Washington Nationals game. Although the Nats now have plenty of games on broadcast TV, that's of no help in outer suburbs whose cable systems don't carry WDCA-20. And the new Mid-Atlantic Sports Network that's supposed to show most other games has yet to find a home in any cable or satellite operator's channel lineup.
Radio coverage, in turn, is limited to WWZZ-FM-104.1 and the laughably underpowered WFED-1050.

Selig would screw up the free lunch at the Pacfic Garden Mission on State St

Baby Fisk
04-22-2005, 04:02 PM
I've noticed that even the Extra Innings package has been missing several Nats games so far, even when they are on the road and the home team's broadcast would conceivably be available. :dunno:

I want Mags back
04-22-2005, 08:41 PM
http://www.jatkoaika.com/albumit/chicago/Wirtz_William_Chicago.jpgGreat. This will boost season Tickets

Hokiesox
04-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Yeah, we can't get them at all on anything. Gamecast is more up-to-date than radio or TV here. Go figure.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2005, 11:04 PM
How much if anything does this have to do with Peter Angelos?

Lip

kcsportscaster
04-23-2005, 12:11 AM
to make things worse the Nats games are being televised on a channel that NOBODY gets except the people with Extra Innings ( or mlb.com ) since no Washington cable company has picked up Mid-Atlantic Sports Network ( not to be confused with Comcast Sports Mid-Atlantic.

and radio isn't much better

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7731-2005Apr21.html

The farther you get from the seats at RFK Stadium, the harder it is to see or hear a Washington Nationals game. Although the Nats now have plenty of games on broadcast TV, that's of no help in outer suburbs whose cable systems don't carry WDCA-20. And the new Mid-Atlantic Sports Network that's supposed to show most other games has yet to find a home in any cable or satellite operator's channel lineup.
Radio coverage, in turn, is limited to WWZZ-FM-104.1 and the laughably underpowered WFED-1050.

Selig would screw up the free lunch at the Pacfic Garden Mission on State St

Yeah, I would say that the Nationals T.V. deal is Peter Angelos's fault with him getting 90 percent ownership in the new Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, which may go the way of the late Victory Sports One in Minnesota if Comcast wins their lawsuit against the Orioles.

And someone in the D.C. area please explain how some cable systems in some of the outer suburbs don't carry WDCA UPN 20 while Adelphia Cable in Harrisonburg, VA carries that station? I know that because I surfed by that station in a hotel room during my one night stay there two months ago for a job interview with the local radio station.

FJA
04-23-2005, 12:12 AM
How much if anything does this have to do with Peter Angelos?

Lip

Unless Angelos' plan was to get sued and anger people in this region further, I don't think this is his fault, at least not directly. That being said, his crybaby antics surrounding the Nationals being on TV led to a deal that was born for litigation or at least strife.

Angelos has to be careful here ... DC is full of transplants whose primary rooting interest is neither the Nationals nor the Orioles. Camden Yards is a great place to see a game, but those of us who couldn't care less about rooting for the Orioles are going to stop making the painful drive to Baltimore to put more money into his hands.

Hokiesox
04-23-2005, 12:53 AM
This is 100% ALL Peter Angelos. He didn't want the team, he wouldn't let them have a TV contract, forcing MLB to put one together as quick as possible, forming the stupid new cable network (that nobody has picked up), and he is charging double the usual broadcast fee for networks to pick up his new network. On top of that, the O's get, like, 66% of the profit...

It's Angelos fault, though he sure isn't making $Bill look bad. I don't like Angelos, but he's at least better than $Bill.

owensmouth
04-23-2005, 03:38 AM
Think of it this way: If instead of plopping the Expos down in DC, they were now the Naperville Expos, how happy would the Tribune and Reinsdorf be? Would the Trib even assign them a reporter? Would they be included in CSN?

doublem23
04-23-2005, 04:56 AM
Think of it this way: If instead of plopping the Expos down in DC, they were now the Naperville Expos, how happy would the Tribune and Reinsdorf be? Would the Trib even assign them a reporter? Would they be included in CSN?

This is ridiculous. They'd be the Naperville Nationals.

:D: :rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
04-23-2005, 01:08 PM
I thought I read somewhere where right now the Orioles get 90% of the network's profits and that scales down to 60% over the next twenty years.

I remember the author saying how bad a deal that was for the Nationals.

Lip

MiamiSpartan
04-24-2005, 04:25 PM

the difference is that Baltimore and Washington are a bit further apart than Chicago and Naperville, and Balt and DC are two disctintly different Metro areas. I have friends who live in or near both cities, and people do not travel much between the two if they don't have to.

Fenway
04-24-2005, 04:38 PM
How baseball decides a market area

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20021220pappas.shtml

DC Sox Fan
04-25-2005, 08:08 PM
And someone in the D.C. area please explain how some cable systems in some of the outer suburbs don't carry WDCA UPN 20 while Adelphia Cable in Harrisonburg, VA carries that station? I know that because I surfed by that station in a hotel room during my one night stay there two months ago for a job interview with the local radio station.

KC what station in the 'Burg? I spent 4 years down there at JMU. Most stations were either country, religious or oldies. I think cool 98.5 and 101 were decent though. I hosted the #1 rated show on Tuesday nights- sports talk live on JMU's own WXJM, 88.7, 8-10 PM. That town is blowing up, but is still pretty crappy unless you're college age or in your early-mid 20's.

This is an ugly situation, folks. MASN (Havanna Pete Angelos' brainchild, Mid Atlantic Sports Network) took out a full page ad in today's Washington Post blaming CSN for the holdup, and they reaffirmed their commitment to the Nats- yeah right. The Asbestos king is getting a dose of his own medicine from Comcast, and I personally love it- half the Nats' games are being televised (including right now on ESPN) and I'm making it to many home games, so I'm not that concerned. There was a sign on opening night that summed up most Washington fans' sentiments:
"Dear Angelos: you stink. Signed, Everyone" it got a standing ovation as it was unfurled from the 3B side upper deck.

kcsportscaster
04-26-2005, 12:16 PM
KC what station in the 'Burg? I spent 4 years down there at JMU. Most stations were either country, religious or oldies. I think cool 98.5 and 101 were decent though. I hosted the #1 rated show on Tuesday nights- sports talk live on JMU's own WXJM, 88.7, 8-10 PM. That town is blowing up, but is still pretty crappy unless you're college age or in your early-mid 20's.

This is an ugly situation, folks. MASN (Havanna Pete Angelos' brainchild, Mid Atlantic Sports Network) took out a full page ad in today's Washington Post blaming CSN for the holdup, and they reaffirmed their commitment to the Nats- yeah right. The Asbestos king is getting a dose of his own medicine from Comcast, and I personally love it- half the Nats' games are being televised (including right now on ESPN) and I'm making it to many home games, so I'm not that concerned. There was a sign on opening night that summed up most Washington fans' sentiments:
"Dear Angelos: you stink. Signed, Everyone" it got a standing ovation as it was unfurled from the 3B side upper deck.

Not to dig too deep into this, but I interviewed at WSVA 550 AM two months ago for a full-time afternoon news position with some extra sports work involved, but I have yet to hear back from them other than them wanting me to mail them my hotel receipt. They paid for my room, BTW.

As far as the Nationals crappy TV deal goes, MLB should have stepped in and given them a better deal, perhaps with Comcast SportsNet-Mid-Atlantic, and told Angelos to go to hell for the way he was holding up bringing the Nationals to D-C instead of bowing down to him the way they did. If only MLB had a real commissioner, none of this would have happened the way it did and D-C likely would have had the Nationals at least two years ago.