PDA

View Full Version : Cub ridiculousness in my alma mater's paper

kittle42
04-22-2005, 01:40 PM
I am ashamed.

http://www.dailynorthwestern.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/04/22/4268acc3d507a

Tekijawa
04-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Should have posted that before lunch.... I wouldn't have thrown up as much...

kittle42
04-22-2005, 01:51 PM
"No one would think of wearing a Sox Suck shirt at Wrigley."

Yeah, jerk, that's why vendors are right on the northeast corner of Clark and Addison selling them at gametime.

Uncle_Patrick
04-22-2005, 01:55 PM
I hopped on the El on Tuesday night and rode into the mouth of Hell: U.S. Cellular Field, the home of the Chicago White Sox.

When did Jay Marriotti start writing for Northwestern's newspaper?

Baby Fisk
04-22-2005, 01:55 PM
I am ashamed.

Ashamed for your alma mater, or ashamed for having your alma mater revealed?

Seriously though, I stopped reading after "Culturally illiterate though I am...". Yes, I am an arrogant snob. :redface:

cheeses_h_rice
04-22-2005, 02:00 PM

:)

cheeses_h_rice
04-22-2005, 02:00 PM
I am ashamed.

:moron

I'll do my damnedest to give this kid a plum internship at the Sun-Times this summer, that's for darn sure!

C-Dawg
04-22-2005, 02:05 PM

Yeah, jerk, that's why vendors are right on the northeast corner of Clark and Addison selling them at gametime.

Yeah I have had to deflect that argument from Cub fans a few times too. Eventually I had to go to Wrigley and photograph one of those forsale there and email them to those faithful Cub fans who believe that no one of their own would stoop so low as to bash the other team.

cbrownson13
04-22-2005, 02:05 PM
I e-mailed him, we'll see if he responds.

fusillirob1983
04-22-2005, 02:07 PM
College newspapers aren't that great. The other day I read an article in the Daily Illini where the writer talked about being a food vendor at Wrigley. I don't understand the point he was trying to make except to score "cool points" with other fake Cub fan losers on this campus. I have to give him credit for not copying every piece of crap Marriotti has been saying for years at least and ripping on the Sox for no reason.

itsnotrequired
04-22-2005, 02:12 PM
The guy graduates in 2005 so he's got to be what, 23? Sounds like he knows a lot about traditions.:rolleyes:

And what's the deal with the "I could have prepared a Thanksgiving dinner in the time I spent on the El" statement? What does that even mean? Taking the El from Evanston to 35th is obviosly going to take more time than going to Addison. What about taking the Red from 95th north? My powers of deduction lead me to believe you will get to 35th quicker than Addison.

The Racehorse
04-22-2005, 02:25 PM
"The difference is that the other 22,000 come out to Wrigley because they have a good time."

Try telling that to Steve Bartman.

FARMEO
04-22-2005, 02:28 PM
The roof and bleachers at Sox Park are copied from the urinal -that is a new one. If this guy doesn't care about the Sox, why did he write this pointless article?

SoxFan78
04-22-2005, 02:29 PM
Dumbest.Article.Ever.

How did this guy even get into Northwestern? Horrible, makes me think has been to one Baseball game, and thats it.

With those words ringing in my head -- and the Cubs on the road -- I hopped on the El on Tuesday night and rode into the mouth of Hell: U.S. Cellular Field, the home of the Chicago White Sox.

Oh yeah, this is gonna be a un-biased article.

Sox fans hate Cubs fans. The conventional wisdom as to why goes like this: Blue-collar Sox fans in the south resent lakeshore elitist Cubs fans. Cubs fans, though, don't really care about the Sox. After all, what's to envy about the South Side?

Im surprised his elite Northwestern ass would even venture to the lower class "surfs" of the SS.

The stadium is sandwiched between the Dan Ryan Expressway and a wasteland of parking lots.

My god, what a horror, parking lots around a major league ball park??? What team in their right mind would want their fans to actually drive to the stadium?

Idiotic

The Sox know they are competing with the Cubs for relevance. To compensate, it's as if five guys sat in a room and said, "Hey, people love Wrigley. Let's copy it!"
U.S. Cellular -- gaaak! It pains me to even write that -- has a pathetic patch of ivy in center field. Management is replacing the blue-colored seats with traditional green. The roof and bleachers section look cheaply similar to Wrigley.

You have got to be kidding me. Ok, the Ivy, thats a ok arguement, but not valid in the least bit. I didn't get the memo where Wrigley can be the only stadium in the country to have Ivy.

And will somebody let me know how the roof and bleachers look like Wrigley?

Moreover, you're bombarded with sights and sounds that distract you from the game: dopey scoreboard gimmicks, T-shirt tosses and the like.

Three words. Seventh Inning Stretch.

Overall, this article did make me laugh. Im surprised this guy could read the keys with his 2 inch thick cubby blue glasses on.

Clembasbal
04-22-2005, 02:41 PM
I actually laughed at this. The guy is obviously a pompus jerk. He doesn't know much being only 23 or so years old, and he only gets quotes from two people. The first guy didn't sound like a Sox fan to me, rather a "City of Chicago Fan."

Idiot and learn tradition and research before you make a fool of yourself.

Heck, I am sure I can find a "Sox Suck" shirt online somewhere in about 5 minutes.

What a tool this guy is.

jackbrohamer
04-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Another cubs-fans-don't-care-about-sox-fans article. What an original article. Cub fans sure spend a lot of time and emotional energy not-caring about the Sox.

Palehose Pete
04-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Now that the Sox are starting to attract people's attention for the way they play baseball (they WIN), I can hardly wait for more articles and comments about how the Wrigley experience is so much more authentic a baseball experience than down on the South Side.

I'll tell you this much: I took my parents, who are very casual baseabll fans, to Comiskey for their first Sox game ever last summer. They had previously bought into the Wrigley Field myth and went to Cubs games not necessarily because they were Cubs fans, but because they thought that a nice day at the ballpark began with being at Wrigley. My parents' impression of Comiskey was extremely favorable. They loved the parking, the easy access to the expressway, the food, the clean and modern bathrooms, the wide concourses, the sightlines... well, I could go on, but you get the point. As as result, they want to go to more Sox games this summer because of, ta dah!, Comiskey.

Clembasbal
04-22-2005, 02:47 PM
http://b.im.craigslist.org/KR/oT/gHO9KqI7fCfw2aNbXO15SmcybnpV.jpg

Granted there are other ones that I have seen, but here is one that I found in 5 minutes.

The author of this piece is a stroke.

Uncle_Patrick
04-22-2005, 02:48 PM
This whole articles reads like typical Cub "fan" elitism. These are type of "fans" who say "It doesn't matter who wins the game" and only goes to Wrigley because its hip and has cool bars around it.

"Baseball is supposed to be fun, not a papal Mass at the Vatican," English lecturer and former Daily columnist Bill Savage told me.

I don't think anyone's argument is that Wrigley sucks because you can have a good time there. The criticism is that you go to a baseball game and you're surrounded by 40,000 yahoos who don't give a **** that there's a baseball game going on. There are die-hard Cub fans who echo this exact criticism of the Wrigley "experience". I like baseball, so I go to a baseball game to watch baseball. How stupid of me.

32nd&Wallace
04-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Just emailed the little P**** Here is what I wrote.

Just finished reading your White Sox article.

You're not a Chicago native are you. In fact, your article has about as much of a local feel as a Fodors tour guide.

I am glad you rely on English teacher Bill Savage, Mr. Chicag who knows everything you want to know about Chicago, because you sir, obviously do not.
Couple things that stand out about your article:

1). I don't know many sixth-graders who read Tennyson. I know fewer who quote Tennyson and them humbly admit they are "culturally illiterate" Irony, anyone?

2). The South Side of Chicago, to you, is a horrible part of the city that has a crime rate similar to the capitals of some African republics.
As a native of the South Side (four blocks from U.S. Cellular Field) I would hope that you would have taken a drive around the neighborhood, or had some friends and family on the South Side before coming to this conclusion. Because after all, a journalist, and the hallmark of being a good journalist is research.

But because I am betting you are not from Chicago and spend most of your time in Evanston, you know nothing of the South Side other than what you see in a few stories on the local news.

To you, an empty headed 20-something living in Evanston, the South Side is not Wrigleyville. It is not filled with bar after bar filled with drunk college students, tourists, ready to blow their money on $5
Old Styles (yes, there is a bar near Wrigley Field that charged this price for this very piss poor drink).

Neighborhoods like Bridgeport (where Comiskey Park is located),, Back of the Yards, Canarville, Chinatown are all home to police officers, firefighters, city workers, etc. M$700,000 to $1 million homes are a stone's throw away from Comiskey Park. Are there commercial bars on every block? No. Are their local watering holes filled with regulars. This is real Chicago and I am betting that Mr. Savage would never set foot in a place like this.

Also, if you want, I will send you a Daily Herald article (a newspaper from the suburbs that I would not expect you to know) that did a breakdown of crime in the neighborhoods surrounding Wrigley Field and Comiskey Park. The fact that I am willing to send this to you probably should give you a good guess where there is more crime.

3). You could have made a Thanksgiving dinner in time it took you to get there?
But you did come from Evanston right?
Which if I remember, is Purple to Brown to Red.
And you complain that it is off the Dan Ryan and surrounded by parking lot?
I am confused. So you are saying that because it is off a major expressway and an El line that it is difficult to get to?
But I guess Wrigley Field is much easier because it is not off a major expressway and surrounded by no parking lots. Irony, anyone?
4). You shudder at calling it U.S. Cellular Field also oblivious to the fact that Wrigley Field is named after a corporation. Irony, anyone.
5). What is so bad about people going to a ballpark for bars and the characters, (which I think you mean, the women). Nothing. If you are a father with a wife and three kids, this may be tough. Parking, the lack of any reasonable crowd control.

if you ever have time, I would love to give you and Mr. Savage and yourself a tour of Bridgeport. Home to four mayors, including our current one. I am very proud to be from this neighborhood and I would like to show you it is not the generalzied sterotype Mr. Savage fed to you.

Bridgeport is not that sophisicated, no hip bars with college coeds, mainly blue collar folk. But I think after awhile you would feel comfortable. Because after reading your article and your perceptions of Chicago and baseball, you really are a complete cultural illiterate.

Baby Fisk
04-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Moreover, you're bombarded with sights and sounds that distract you from the game: dopey scoreboard gimmicks, T-shirt tosses and the like.

Three words. Seventh Inning Stretch.

LMAO! Since when did Wrigley become a home to "the serious baseball fan"? This dork must be really pissed off by all the bleacher boozing, seventh inning shrieking, and general T&A atmosphere that impedes his concentration on the game.

Dr. Crawdad if you please, how about posting that picture of what this guy looks like? I think you know the one... :cool:

Tekijawa
04-22-2005, 02:56 PM
While in College I figured out how to get around the password on the mailing lists and I emailed the entire school, Professors and Administration included, that "I'd be in the bathroom if anyone needed me"... I had an entire story dedicated to how I was wasting everybody's valuable time in the next school newspaper... Sometimes School papers need filler, this appears to be a similar situation.

santo=dorf
04-22-2005, 03:04 PM

http://www.exposingmyself.net/archives/002215.php

How creative. :rolleyes:

samram
04-22-2005, 03:06 PM
The guy graduates in 2005 so he's got to be what, 23? Sounds like he knows a lot about traditions.:rolleyes:

And what's the deal with the "I could have prepared a Thanksgiving dinner in the time I spent on the El" statement? What does that even mean? Taking the El from Evanston to 35th is obviosly going to take more time than going to Addison. What about taking the Red from 95th north? My powers of deduction lead me to believe you will get to 35th quicker than Addison.

Yeah, the only thing I can think of is he is writing for a NU readership and is informing them that it takes longer to get there from Evanston than it does to get to Wrigley (boy, can't get anything past him, seeing as it's farther away). Or I missed the news release saying the known universe revolves around Evanston and all relevant distance is measured from there.

Uncle_Patrick
04-22-2005, 03:09 PM

Its just Purple to Red. I've taken it. Its not that long of a trip, unless his Thanksgiving dinner is a Swanson's microwave turkey dinner.

itsnotrequired
04-22-2005, 03:12 PM
Its just Purple to Red. I've taken it. Its not that long of a trip, unless his Thanksgiving dinner is a Swanson's microwave turkey dinner.

If Purple is running express to Belmont it isn't too bad. Taking the Red the whole way down takes a while.

Charno
04-22-2005, 03:16 PM
I grew up in Wilmette, used to take the train to Sox games all the time. Its about 15-20 minutes longer than the trip to Wrigley.

itsnotrequired
04-22-2005, 03:20 PM
I grew up in Wilmette, used to take the train to Sox games all the time. Its about 15-20 minutes longer than the trip to Wrigley.

15-20 minutes? No way. Maybe 20 if everything was absolutely perfect. It will take you 20 minutes just to get from Addison to downtown. Realistically it will take 25-30 minutes. Plenty of time to get dinner ready.

daveeym
04-22-2005, 03:24 PM
I am ashamed.

http://www.dailynorthwestern.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/04/22/4268acc3d507a So am I, but definitely not surprised. That's pretty typical of the majority of people that go to NU. And Bill Savage can suck my fat one, he was an ok professor because he tried to be cool, but all and all he blew. He's about as intellectual as Elaine trying to explain how War and Peace was originally titled War, What is it Good For.

AZChiSoxFan
04-22-2005, 03:26 PM

How True. I went to a D-backs vs. Scrubs game earlier this month in Phoenix and sat behind a guy wearing a "Sox Suck" shirt.

santo=dorf
04-22-2005, 03:52 PM
Here's a poll from www.theheckler.com (http://www.theheckler.com/)

April 21 Poll: First Woo-Woo, Now Nomar
What will be the next terrible thing to happen to Wrigleyville?

Sox will have a better record all season long
Kerry Wood strains neck head-banging to Metallica
The pair of Jimmy Buffett concerts in Sept.
More Wrigley concrete tumbles, taking out entire beer supply

and the results (http://bradrfs.freepolls.com/cgi-bin/pollresults/114) show that more Cubs fans are worried about the Sox having a better record. :rolleyes:

SoxFan78
04-22-2005, 03:55 PM
How True. I went to a D-backs vs. Scrubs game earlier this month in Phoenix and sat behind a guy wearing a "Sox Suck" shirt.

I forgot to mention, when my girlfiend and I went to Boston last year to see the White Sox, whats the first thing I see at the baggage claim last year? I guy with a Cubs hat and a shirt with the 83 Sox logo but instead of SOX it says COX.

They dont care about us at all.

Erik The Red
04-22-2005, 04:09 PM
So this guy was at the Sox/Twins game last week? Well, now we know who threw Carl's HR ball back.

seanpmurphy
04-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Someone once told me they would never go to a White Sox game cause it's in "the ghetto." Yeah, Cubs fans aren't elitest at all.

I've been there plenty of times and have never had a bad time, or a problem outside of the stadium. I went to Wrigley once and to be honest I was really uncomfortable with it. I felt like I was at a glorified community league field. At least the Cubs lost that day. :smile:

Banix12
04-22-2005, 04:18 PM
Just emailed the little P**** Here is what I wrote.

Just finished reading your White Sox article.

You're not a Chicago native are you. In fact, your article has about as much of a local feel as a Fodors tour guide.

I am glad you rely on English teacher Bill Savage, Mr. Chicag who knows everything you want to know about Chicago, because you sir, obviously do not.
Couple things that stand out about your article:

1). I don't know many sixth-graders who read Tennyson. I know fewer who quote Tennyson and them humbly admit they are "culturally illiterate" Irony, anyone?

2). The South Side of Chicago, to you, is a horrible part of the city that has a crime rate similar to the capitals of some African republics.
As a native of the South Side (four blocks from U.S. Cellular Field) I would hope that you would have taken a drive around the neighborhood, or had some friends and family on the South Side before coming to this conclusion. Because after all, a journalist, and the hallmark of being a good journalist is research.

But because I am betting you are not from Chicago and spend most of your time in Evanston, you know nothing of the South Side other than what you see in a few stories on the local news.

To you, an empty headed 20-something living in Evanston, the South Side is not Wrigleyville. It is not filled with bar after bar filled with drunk college students, tourists, ready to blow their money on $5
Old Styles (yes, there is a bar near Wrigley Field that charged this price for this very piss poor drink).

Neighborhoods like Bridgeport (where Comiskey Park is located),, Back of the Yards, Canarville, Chinatown are all home to police officers, firefighters, city workers, etc. M$700,000 to $1 million homes are a stone's throw away from Comiskey Park. Are there commercial bars on every block? No. Are their local watering holes filled with regulars. This is real Chicago and I am betting that Mr. Savage would never set foot in a place like this.

Also, if you want, I will send you a Daily Herald article (a newspaper from the suburbs that I would not expect you to know) that did a breakdown of crime in the neighborhoods surrounding Wrigley Field and Comiskey Park. The fact that I am willing to send this to you probably should give you a good guess where there is more crime.

And you complain that it is off the Dan Ryan and surrounded by parking lot?
I am confused. So you are saying that because it is off a major expressway and an El line that it is difficult to get to?
But I guess Wrigley Field is much easier because it is not off a major expressway and surrounded by no parking lots. Irony, anyone?
4). You shudder at calling it U.S. Cellular Field also oblivious to the fact that Wrigley Field is named after a corporation. Irony, anyone.
5). What is so bad about people going to a ballpark for bars and the characters, (which I think you mean, the women). Nothing. If you are a father with a wife and three kids, this may be tough. Parking, the lack of any reasonable crowd control.

if you ever have time, I would love to give you and Mr. Savage and yourself a tour of Bridgeport. Home to four mayors, including our current one. I am very proud to be from this neighborhood and I would like to show you it is not the generalzied sterotype Mr. Savage fed to you.

Bridgeport is not that sophisicated, no hip bars with college coeds, mainly blue collar folk. But I think after awhile you would feel comfortable. Because after reading your article and your perceptions of Chicago and baseball, you really are a complete cultural illiterate.

That's way too much effort to put into this. I used to be the campus film critic in college and I often got sent letters just like this about films I would trash. The way you have to approach these letters to get anything done is to be succinct, to the point, and so polite it makes him feel guilty for trashing your point. If you are rude to the writer it just solidifies his point of view that sox fans are jerks.

I doubt he makes it through the whole thing and he'll just be happy that he, a lowly college reporter, got a big enough response to this measily article. Best to let the baby have his bottle and say nothing, or just write a short reponse, or petition the paper for a rebuttal.

Uncle_Patrick
04-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Here's a poll from www.theheckler.com (http://www.theheckler.com/)

April 21 Poll: First Woo-Woo, Now Nomar
What will be the next terrible thing to happen to Wrigleyville?

Sox will have a better record all season long
Kerry Wood strains neck head-banging to Metallica
The pair of Jimmy Buffett concerts in Sept.
More Wrigley concrete tumbles, taking out entire beer supply

and the results (http://bradrfs.freepolls.com/cgi-bin/pollresults/114) show that more Cubs fans are worried about the Sox having a better record. :rolleyes:

#3 seems pretty terrible to me. A guy I used to work with called Jimmy Buffett's music "Barney for adults".

Whitesox029
04-22-2005, 04:33 PM
Face it fans, Sox experience is Wrigley knockoff
If we're stealing the Cubs' act then why is our record 4 games better?

Black_Betsy
04-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Typical cub fan. Bash the Sox while the entire time saying how much you don;t care abou them because they are below you. If that was the case, maybe you should use your infantile writing skills to talk about your beloved Cubs and leave Sox park to fans that actually have some idea about the game.

I really hope you don't plan on becoming a journalist once you graduate. Although, considering your complete lack of research, biased and ignorant interviewing skills, and overall lack for anything resembling integrity, I would say you are off to a fine start to a long career as a sportswriter for the Sun Times.

Next time you decide to blather on about Ivy and Green seats, you may actually want to talk to someone who knows something about the facts. Ivy and Green Seats started at Comisky park, the Cubs stole it from the Sox along with Haray Carey, although in that case, Sox fans we're grateful.

Sox fans don't care about Cub fans. We just like to make fun of arrogant, ignorant, losers and there are so many of you, that we can't help ourselves.

DumpJerry
04-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Time for:

:churrosarmy:
We have his email address, we will make him pay. You know what to do/what needs to be done. His article makes no sense whatsoever. I thought journalists are supposed to be neutral. This jerk clearly had a bias going into it.

NSSoxFan
04-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Don't even bother e-mailing this idiot. Just imagine how much satisfaction he is going to get once he sees all these e-mail from non-NU students. WHO CARES.

halfpricemonday
04-22-2005, 05:11 PM
I'm trying not to get worked up about some Northwestern hack writing his little "Cubbie Hole" column, but I'm definitely ashamed that I go to school with this sheltered Flub fan.

Some choice quotes:

...I hopped on the El on Tuesday night and rode into the mouth of Hell: U.S. Cellular Field, the home of the Chicago White Sox.
Well, this column sounds promising.

Sox fans hate Cubs fans. The conventional wisdom as to why goes like this: Blue-collar Sox fans in the south resent lakeshore elitist Cubs fans. Cubs fans, though, don't really care about the Sox. After all, what's to envy about the South Side?
Well, I think all the reasons why Sox fans hate Cub fans is nicely encapsulated with this statement. "What's to envy about the South Side?" Please. I guess when you're scared to go south of the American Girl Place it's easy to make that statement.

U.S. Cellular -- gaaak! It pains me to even write that -- has a pathetic patch of ivy in center field. Management is replacing the blue-colored seats with traditional green. The roof and bleachers section look cheaply similar to Wrigley.

Having a retro feel is one thing. Ripping off your rival is something much lamer.
I don't even know where to start with this. I guess when you've been a baseball fan for all of 5 minutes it's hard to know your baseball history.

Okay, that's out of my system. Like I said, I'm not going to get all bent out of shape about this. I've got a winning baseball team to follow.

Of course, if you'd like to rain down fire on this guy, here's a link. (http://www.dailynorthwestern.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/04/22/4268acc3d507a)

Rocky Soprano
04-22-2005, 05:15 PM
Dude, What's The Score?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48653

mweflen
04-22-2005, 05:18 PM
I have a feeling this thread will be moved. But for anyone interested, my true, unbiased ballpark reviews can be found at the link in my sig. Feel free to leave comments if you like.

I sent the link to this hack writer, as well.

halfpricemonday
04-22-2005, 05:19 PM
Ah, What's The Score! Good to know. Well, it was fun while it lasted.

StuForumStuCazzo
04-22-2005, 05:20 PM
I definately emailed this idiot.

Key points: 1) Cub fans don't care about the Sox, but feel they need to go to the games and write about them. 2) We copy the Cubs? Harry Carey singing the 7th inning stretch anyone? 3) You guys already pointed out the existence of the 'Sox Suck' shirts. 4) He's mad that his team is sucking it up, and is jealous of our park, food, manager, team, fan intelligence, etc.

Blueprint1
04-22-2005, 05:24 PM
"With every "Cubs Suck" shirt I saw Monday night, the minor-league status hit home. I don't think I've ever seen a "Sox Suck" shirt at Wrigley. Who would care enough to wear one?"

Well cubs fans seem to care enough to come down to the cell and write an articles about how much it sucks. They also seem to care enough to come down on Monday's and Tuesday's while their team is playing and cheer against the sox. They also seem to care enough to sell sox suck t-shirts outside of Wrigley. They also seem to care enough to harass me at the airport for wearing my sox hat. Yes its true cubs fans hate the sox as much as sox fans hate the cubs. I believe Wrigley fiend is a total junk ripoff of old Comiskey. This guy is a tool.

DumpJerry
04-22-2005, 05:27 PM
Well gang, here is the email I sent him:

I read your article in today's Daily Northwestern about your experience at the White Sox game this week.
One thing is clear from your article: you are not a journalism major. Journalists always approach their subjects from a neutral viewpoint so that they may accurately report what they have observed. I have some journalist friends who make such an effort to remain neutral they don't vote in elections. Your article reeks of subjectivity from headline through the end.

Allow me to point out the errors of your ways.

"Sox experience is Wrigley knockoff" Not sure what this meant. The last time I checked, the Chicago Cubs played at Wrigley, the Chicago White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field. Now, if the folks who own USCF (the State of Illinois, incidentally) tried to get the Cubs to play there instead of Wrigley, your headline would have a point.

Not sure what "The Charge of Light Brigade" had to do with your trip to the Sox game. Did someone shoot you? Was your traveling partner(s) killed en route? Did you have cannons to the left of you and cannons to the right of you? Are you referring to the fireworks (a Wrigley knockoff?)? It is not clear what the point you are trying make with your tie to Tennyson. Since you state from the beginning you are culturally illiterate, this must be your way of proving that fact.

You then state that the "conventional wisdom" of why the fans of both baseball teams "hate" each other because it is class warfare. Praytell, where did you get this notion? I am a lawyer with a MA in addition to my JD. Many of my lawyer, doctor, accountant, business executive, and corporate consultant friends are die-hard White Sox friends. Many of these people live on the "lakeshore" as you call it (native Chicagoans call it the lakefront. Oceanfront cities have a shore). Many live on the north side. I live north of Wrigley. You also state that Cub fans "don't really care about the Sox." I'm curious where you found this little tidbit. Were you told this by the guys who sell "Sox Suck" tee shirts outside Wrigley? Then you ask "what's to envy about the South Side?" It is obvious you have spent all your time in Evanston or you just have no sense of curiosity about your world. The South Side is the home to some the greatest architecture in Chicago. Hyde Park, for example, has several Frank Lloyd Wright homes, many communities have magnificent homes. You see, the Chicago Fire burned down the north side, the South Side was spared.

What else is great about the South Side? More nobel prize winners than Northwestern University ever knew could exist. The birthplace of atomic power. The birthplace of some of the most powerful labor unions, home to the economic engine that brought America victory in World War II and the prosperity that followed in that the South Side all the way to Gary, Indiana was, at the time, home to the largest collection of steel mills in the world. The South Side is home to some of the most stable communities in Chicago.

Now for the flaws in your report of the game you attended.

You said only 18,310 people showed up. This is true. Had you been a real journalist, you would have done research on your subject before writing. You would have learned that in April and May, attendance is always low at Sox games. The reason is quite simple. The Sox draw families to their games. Lots of families. The kids are in school, Tuesday is a school night. Come back this summer when school is out, you'll see a different crowd. You failed to mention, by the way, the FUNDamental Deck in left field. It was built for kids in the off season and is an excellent activity center for kids where they can hit, pitch, throw and run like baseball players. Obviously not a Wrigley knockoff.

So it took you a while to take the el from Evanston to the game. Is that the Sox's fault? The park is "sandwiched" between the Dan Ryan and parking lots? Most sports stadiums are next to highways and have massive parking lots. Wrigley has neither feature and the neighbors of Wrigley complain about Cub fans urinating on their lawns after games. The Sox do not have similar problems with their neighbors.

You mentioned the green seats and roof which is supposed to be an imitation of Wrigley. Obviously, you never went to the old Comiskey. The green seats are a homage to the green seats we had at the old Comiskey. The roof is reminiscent of the roof we had at old Comiskey, beams and all. This is retro to old Comiskey, not "ripping off" a rival.

I was at the game you attended. I was not distracted by the sights and sounds you complain about. I was able to watch the game, every single pitch. If you are easily distracted, maybe a physical exam is in order.

I hope your future efforts at journalism are not as glib.

Chisox003
04-22-2005, 05:44 PM

Got 'em!

I guess my email to him should simply be: You Suck

fquaye149
04-22-2005, 05:44 PM
so, is this the purple prose (please please ignore the double entendre) they teach you to write at northwestern?

tee hee.

raymond carver would be proud.

Ugh. Everyone thinks they're updike.

DumpJerry
04-22-2005, 05:58 PM
Got 'em!

I guess my email to him should simply be: You Suck
Thanks. I'll let you guys know what he says even though I'm not holding my breath.

The Racehorse
04-22-2005, 06:01 PM
The young man would be the perfect candidate for the "Sir, some moron has stolen your desktop password and is posting articles in The Daily Northwestern using your name as author" type of email. :redneck

DumpJerry
04-22-2005, 06:06 PM
The young man would be the perfect candidate for the "Sir, some moron has stolen your desktop password and it posting articles in the Northwestern Daily using your name as author" type of email. :redneck
:kneeslap: :roflmao:
Classic!

zach074
04-22-2005, 06:19 PM
DumpJerry I couldn't have put it any better nice job!

Captian Ron
04-22-2005, 06:24 PM
This article is a joke. I like the part about the roof and how we ripped it off of the cubs LOL. The new roof is like the one in old Comiskey Park. What a Joke :kneeslap:

soxstarter
04-22-2005, 07:13 PM
D.J.,

When you are hot you are HOT!!!

DumpJerry
04-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Thank for the props everyone! Now you know why when I'm asked "what kind of lawyer are you?" I respond "A good one." This was shooting fish in a barrel.

DumpJerry
04-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Well, fellow soldiers in the Sox Army, the scribe responded to my email. He needs professional help.

Here is what he told me:
Trust me, I came into the game as objective as I could. Because I haven't been to a game at US Cellular before, I wanted to like it and write a "why can't we all just get along?" column. But, as you say, a good journalist should report the events around him. And I did. I didn't like US Cellular. Sorry we disagree.

Something else rang clear after reading your email: You probably aren't a journalism major either, or, if you were, were pretty bad at it. Columns are supposed to be biased. People read them to read the author's opinion and agree or disagree. Disagree if you must (I didn't think Sox fans would go ga-ga for what I wrote), but don't wax elitist with me -- especially since Sox fans rail against Cubs elitists all the time.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the rest (which is fine, if you're civil about it). So, to summarize: chill out. It's a column. About baseball. In a college newspaper.

And are you serious about "lakefront"? It's the Lakeshore. What's that big road that runs paralell to the lake? Lake Front Drive? Stick to Bridgeport and the Dan Ryan.

cbrownson13
04-22-2005, 10:09 PM
I e-mailed him earlier and got an e-mail back that says this....

Mr. Brownson,

You're letter was the nicest one of the many I've gotten thus far. I
don't
know if a message board posted my column or what, but I'm shocked as to
how
many random Sox fans have been flooding the email box of a college
newspaper
columnist.

In any event, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on what I
percieve as Wrigley "rip-offs." The only one where you may be right is
the
Sox Suck shirts. I know they sell them and I'm sure some people buy
them.
And at a Cubs-Sox series, you'll see them -- but because Cubs fans are
defending their home turf.

Think about this: At the Sox game I was at Tuesday, against rival
Minnesota,
a team the Sox were tied with going into the series, I saw more "Cubs
Suck/Choke/Blow/Etc." shirts than I could count. I was at today's Cubs
rainout against Pittsburgh and saw zero Sox Suck shirts. When I was at
the
Padres game two weeks ago (when it was warm enough to wear just a
T-shirt),
zero.

I've been to games against Houston and St. Louis -- big time rivals --
and
seen zero. I might be looking in the wrong places, but I think it at
least
anecdotelly proves my point. The Sox aren't Cubs fans main concern.
People
don't walk around Wrigley saying "Sox suck" to one another and
high-fiveing
like I saw Monday night at US Cellular. Again, we may just have to
disagree
on this, but I stick by what I said.

Still, thanks for reading -- and for sending an obscenity-free email.

Chris Kenny

itsnotrequired
04-22-2005, 10:13 PM
I e-mailed him earlier and got an e-mail back that says this....

Mr. Brownson,

You're letter was the nicest one of the many I've gotten thus far. I
don't
know if a message board posted my column or what, but I'm shocked as to
how
many random Sox fans have been flooding the email box of a college
newspaper
columnist.

In any event, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on what I
percieve as Wrigley "rip-offs." The only one where you may be right is
the
Sox Suck shirts. I know they sell them and I'm sure some people buy
them.
And at a Cubs-Sox series, you'll see them -- but because Cubs fans are
defending their home turf.

Think about this: At the Sox game I was at Tuesday, against rival
Minnesota,
a team the Sox were tied with going into the series, I saw more "Cubs
Suck/Choke/Blow/Etc." shirts than I could count. I was at today's Cubs
rainout against Pittsburgh and saw zero Sox Suck shirts. When I was at
the
Padres game two weeks ago (when it was warm enough to wear just a
T-shirt),
zero.

I've been to games against Houston and St. Louis -- big time rivals --
and
seen zero. I might be looking in the wrong places, but I think it at
least
anecdotelly proves my point. The Sox aren't Cubs fans main concern.
People
don't walk around Wrigley saying "Sox suck" to one another and
high-fiveing
like I saw Monday night at US Cellular. Again, we may just have to
disagree
on this, but I stick by what I said.

Still, thanks for reading -- and for sending an obscenity-free email.

Chris Kenny

I in part agree with his observation of "Cubs suck" shirts at the Cell. Way too many for my taste. I don't know about everyone else but I'd rather spend my dough on Sox gear rather than anti-Cubs gear.

DumpJerry
04-22-2005, 10:17 PM
The thing is, the Cubs DO suck, the Sox don't.

So, my email wasn't nice?:whiner:

cbrownson13
04-22-2005, 10:20 PM
I in part agree with his observation of "Cubs suck" shirts at the Cell. Way too many for my taste. I don't know about everyone else but I'd rather spend my dough on Sox gear rather than anti-Cubs gear.

I definitely agree. I just made point in my e-mail that it's not like nobody wears them to Cubs games. There were also several points he didn't even touch on. His "agree to disagree" statement is such a cop-out.

Anyways, I was at least impressed that he took the time to e-mail me back and was nice about it. More than I could say about most columnists.

itsnotrequired
04-22-2005, 10:33 PM
I imagine Horesmaster Fred would have some choice comments on this situation.

Free Horesmaster Fred!

http://www.sleevestar.com/awesome/Horsemaster.jpg

DumpJerry
04-22-2005, 10:33 PM
I definitely agree. I just made point in my e-mail that it's not like nobody wears them to Cubs games. There were also several points he didn't even touch on. His "agree to disagree" statement is such a cop-out.

Anyways, I was at least impressed that he took the time to e-mail me back and was nice about it. More than I could say about most columnists.
He agreed to disagree with me, too. The thing that annoys me is that while he is correct that columnists are free to use opinions, he seems to feel that facts should not get in the way of the opinions. He made sweeping generalizations that if he had done some homework, he would have realized that he was off-base.

I wonder just how many emails the White Sox Army sent him?

BTW, the only tee shirt hostile to the Flubs I own is a Sosa Cork Company shirt which, of course, is now in retirement.

SouthSide4Life
04-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Evanston... would we expect anything less?

Banix12
04-22-2005, 10:41 PM

He's a college student, meaning he has more time to reply and this might be the first time he got this type of response. I'm just glad you sent an obscenity free letter.

Listen my sox fan brothers, you have to learn to ignore the urge to berate guys like this with angry emails, curse words, and "you suck" comments. When you do that it just you just solidify his opinion that Sox Fans are angry people with nothing better to do than say "Cubs suck" etc. And if and when he writes another article on the sox it's gonna be worse than this one.

If you are gonna send an email, swallow your damn pride, and write the most sickly polite letter you can about how he missed the point and how he insulted what has been a great tradition for you and your family, going to watch the white sox. Don't go to Sox games expecting a cubs game, it's a completely different experience and please take it at face value. etc. etc.

In short, guilt trip him. Then you might get another article about how great sox fans can be and maybe a retraction on the previous story in a best case scenario. that probably won't happen often with the big papers, but in a case like this where it is a college paper, you never know.

Also it never hurts to have writers or future writers that have a positive view of sox fans

itsnotrequired
04-22-2005, 10:42 PM
He agreed to disagree with me, too. The thing that annoys me is that while he is correct that columnists are free to use opinions, he seems to feel that facts should not get in the way of the opinions. He made sweeping generalizations that if he had done some homework, he would have realized that he was off-base.

I wonder just how many emails the White Sox Army sent him?

BTW, the only tee shirt hostile to the Flubs I own is a Sosa Cork Company shirt which, of course, is now in retirement.

Look, he's a college goon who posted an inflamatory article. Big deal. He didn't like his experience at the Cell? Good riddance. Have fun trying to get tickets to Wrigley games and if your lucky, standing room only.

shoota
04-22-2005, 10:46 PM
It would be quicker and easier to sign his email address up for some spam.

Banix12
04-22-2005, 10:48 PM
It would be quicker and easier to sign his email address up for some spam.

That works too. and it's not like it's traceable

cbrownson13
04-22-2005, 10:51 PM
He's a college student, meaning he has more time to reply and this might be the first time he got this type of response. I'm just glad you sent an obscenity free letter.

Yeah, I learned a long time ago that what you say goes a lot further when you leave insults and obsenities out. When you add those things it makes you look less intelligent and narrow minded. It make his points less credible, it makes your's. (Obviously not you personally, but you in a general way.)

Viva Medias B's
04-22-2005, 11:12 PM

Actually, Moronotti hates NU too. He basically continues to accuse Randy Walker of murdering Rashidi Wheeler.

Nellie_Fox
04-23-2005, 12:48 AM
It would be quicker and easier to sign his email address up for some spam.And that would be an extremely immature thing to do. Sort of an electronic keying of his car.

Cub fans don't understand that the reason there are "Cubs suck" t-shirts at Sox games, and not vice-versa, is because Sox fans are angry about the media bias towards the Cubs. There is no reason for Cubs fans to wear their dislike of the Sox.

Chisox003
04-23-2005, 01:32 AM
The end to one of his responses really made me laugh:

"Still, thanks for reading -- and for sending an obscenity-free email."

I realize that its probably better to get a point across without swearing every 3 words, but you got to admit, this is hilarious...I cant even imagine all the words Sox fans included in their emails to this bum, and I dont think I want to...(I know my personal email, though short, included a couple obscene attacks, nothin too bad though):gulp:

Oh well, I almost feel bad for him...Well not really, hes an idiot

fquaye149
04-23-2005, 02:53 AM
Well, fellow soldiers in the Sox Army, the scribe responded to my email. He needs professional help.

Here is what he told me:
Trust me, I came into the game as objective as I could. Because I haven't been to a game at US Cellular before, I wanted to like it and write a "why can't we all just get along?" column. But, as you say, a good journalist should report the events around him. And I did. I didn't like US Cellular. Sorry we disagree.

Something else rang clear after reading your email: You probably aren't a journalism major either, or, if you were, were pretty bad at it. Columns are supposed to be biased. People read them to read the author's opinion and agree or disagree. Disagree if you must (I didn't think Sox fans would go ga-ga for what I wrote), but don't wax elitist with me -- especially since Sox fans rail against Cubs elitists all the time.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the rest (which is fine, if you're civil about it). So, to summarize: chill out. It's a column. About baseball. In a college newspaper.

And are you serious about "lakefront"? It's the Lakeshore. What's that big road that runs paralell to the lake? Lake Front Drive? Stick to Bridgeport and the Dan Ryan.

Wow. What a smarmy, misinformed something or other.

For some reason, I can't help be reminded of an acquaintance of mine who goes to Northwestern who asked me: "does Notre Dame hate Northwestern?" and when I said, "Actually Northwestern's not a huge priority to most Notre Dame students," she said: "you're such an *******."

Not to imply all NW students are like that - just maybe this guy runs in the same pack.

woodenleg
04-23-2005, 08:15 AM
You guys do know about Medill, right? It's really sad - there used to be some good teachers there. I always hated the Daily, though. Ooops - on review, I see he's in Weinberg. I guess they couldn't get a good writer from Medill to write this trash for them.

....and now a few more checks won't be written, thanks to this pawn. Not that it matters. They'll just find their $ elsewhere.

'Culturally illiterate' - wonder where he got that idea?

Nexxxxxxt.

DumpJerry
04-23-2005, 08:21 AM
Well, I decided to respond to the kid. If he disputes what I am telling him, this will become an endless dialogue between he and me and I will ignore him. Or invite him to have beers with Hangar......:D: Here's what I told him:

Mr. Kenny:

Thank you for your polite response. While I fully understand that columns are personal opinion pieces (as opposed to editorial which are institutional opinion pieces), my issue were your factual assertions. I have always felt that opinions are just that, they are not "right" or "wrong." Facts, on the other hand, can be correct or incorrect. For instance, if you had been to the game on Sunday instead of Tuesday as you reported, that would be an incorrect fact. To say you did not enjoy your experience is an opinion based on personal values and cannot be disputed by another person.
I am curious about some of your observations, however. You reported that the dopey scoreboard gimmicks and T-shirt tosses distracted you from the game. Since these activities occur between innings and not during play, how did they distract? Also, while I agree with you that these activities are bit in the bumpkin direction, they are actually designed to entertain the kids between innings when there is nothing for them to watch. When you become a parent, you will learn to appreciate such distractions in such settings. (I implore you to return on a sunny Sunday afternoon during the summer, you will see more children at the park than at the candy counter at the circus).

You mention that Comiskey (as real Sox fans call it) is a knockoff of Wrigley, but the only things you point out are the roof's appearance and the installation of green seats. The roof resembles the roof of many other outdoor stadiums, so why not just call it a cookie-cutter roof? However, there are many prominent features which are completely alien to Wrigley. Two of these prominent features are the exploding scoreboard and the FUNDamentals Deck. Other ballparks have vegetation growing in the outfield sections, why is ours a knockoff of Wrigley and not the other parks?

Perhaps your column would have had more complete information if you had contacted the White Sox for a tour so they can show off what the park has to offer. I say this not to say you are closed minded, obviously you are not since you did set out on this undertaking, but a well-researched column is a credible column. Your column has credibility with people who rarely, if ever, go to Comiskey but have stereotype opinions about the place. However, to those of us who are regulars there, we are left scratching our heads as to what you actually saw and experienced there. Incidentally, you were correct when you asked someone else if your column appeared on a Sox fan website.

By the way, if you spend time in the city with Chicagoans, you will not hear us refer to the lakefront as the lakeshore. Yes, the area from Evanston on north is the "North Shore," but in the actual lakefront is not referred to as the "lakeshore." Next time you hear a local weather report on television or radio, you will hear the person will mention the lakefront, never the lakeshore. Lake Shore Drive, by the way, is called the Outer Drive or The Drive by native Chicagoans. It was given its name in the 1930's when it was built. I am always able to spot a transplant when they call it Lake Shore (without "Drive"). I'm not sure what you meant when you told me to stick to the Dan Ryan and Bridgeport. As I told you, I live on the north side (used to live in Evanston). I was born and raised in a South Side community Evanston claims to be similar to: Hyde Park. I have also lived in other states and traveled to many countries.

Take care.

woodenleg
04-23-2005, 08:25 AM
No need for letters.

They go in the trash anyway. Try calling talk radio, and they keep hanging up on you. Don't waste your time.

You think they don't read the Sox boards and blogs?

:redneck

seanpmurphy
04-23-2005, 08:45 AM
Oh Lordy! Imagine if a White Sox fan had written something bashing the Cubs. The outcry!

The article is a joke. Obviously this guy gets off on trying to be hard sitting behind a computer and riling up people. I'm sure the guy is a total weiner and all his friends are other weiner Cubs fans too. Probably the best idea is to not even talk about it anymore. I don't know.

mdep524
04-28-2005, 12:50 PM
I know I am late to this party, but NU is my alma mater as well and I couldn't let this ridiculousness pass without chiming in. Will they run a letter to the editor? I don't know. But here's what I wrote to the author and to the Daily:

Dear Chris,

I'm sorry the White Sox did not pass your superficial test during your one and only encounter with the team, but I need to set the record straight. If you are not a Chicago native, a fact that is abundantly clear by your ignorant, elitist, superficial column, you do not understand the rich tradition and deep rooted passion of White Sox baseball. Harry Carray, the 7th inning stretch, and singing the na-na-hey-hey goodbye song to departed pitchers are all traditions that started at Comiskey Park and were later rented by the Cubs. The new roof and green seats at the stadium are a homage to the beautiful old Comiskey Park, by the way, not to Wrigley Field. So please do not label the Sox experience as a knock off of the Cubs'. The White Sox reflect the hard-working, passionate, blue-collar attitude of Chicago wonderfully, representing Chicago as well as the gritty blues music scene.

So thanks for perpetuating incorrect, superficial assumptions about the Sox and their stadium through your uninformed article. It is poor journalism like this that gives the Sox the unwarranted negative image that is prevalent in the general public.

I could counter the rest of your ridiculous assertions with some Cubs facts, like the fact that they are sinister enough to scalp their own tickets, and that they fired both of their well-liked announcers this past off-season for extremely trivial reasons, and that the crime rate is actually higher in Wrigleyville than it is in Bridgeport. But I don't need to bash the Cubs to make my point.

By the way, have you checked the standings lately?

Sincerely,

Mike DePilla

Medill School of Journalism, Class of 2004

Uncle_Patrick
04-28-2005, 01:14 PM

Standings don't matter to these people. The White Sox aren't cool.

depy48
04-28-2005, 02:06 PM
I know I am late to this party, but NU is my alma mater as well and I couldn't let this ridiculousness pass without chiming in. Will they run a letter to the editor? I don't know. But here's what I wrote to the author and to the Daily:

Dear Chris,

I'm sorry the White Sox did not pass your superficial test during your one and only encounter with the team, but I need to set the record straight. If you are not a Chicago native, a fact that is abundantly clear by your ignorant, elitist, superficial column, you do not understand the rich tradition and deep rooted passion of White Sox baseball. Harry Carray, the 7th inning stretch, and singing the na-na-hey-hey goodbye song to departed pitchers are all traditions that started at ComiskeyPark and were later rented by the Cubs. The new roof and green seats at the stadium are a homage to the beautiful old ComiskeyPark, by the way, not to Wrigley Field. So please do not label the Sox experience as a knock off of the Cubs'. The White Sox reflect the hard-working, passionate, blue-collar attitude of Chicago wonderfully, representing Chicago as well as the gritty blues music scene.

So thanks for perpetuating incorrect, superficial assumptions about the Sox and their stadium through your uninformed article. It is poor journalism like this that gives the Sox the unwarranted negative image that is prevalent in the general public.

I could counter the rest of your ridiculous assertions with some Cubs facts, like the fact that they are sinister enough to scalp their own tickets, and that they fired both of their well-liked announcers this past off-season for extremely trivial reasons, and that the crime rate is actually higher in Wrigleyville than it is in Bridgeport. But I don't need to bash the Cubs to make my point.

Sincerely,

Mike DePilla

atta boy!!!
way to stick it to him with the "medill school" at the end, let us know if he emails you back

shaunburnette
04-28-2005, 04:48 PM
i sent that guy a not so friendly email

what a jerk.

The Racehorse
04-28-2005, 07:49 PM
here's what I wrote to the author and to the Daily:

Dear Chris,

I'm sorry the White Sox did not pass your superficial test during your one and only encounter with the team, but I need to set the record straight. If you are not a Chicago native, a fact that is abundantly clear by your ignorant, elitist, superficial column, you do not understand the rich tradition and deep rooted passion of White Sox baseball. Harry Carray, the 7th inning stretch, and singing the na-na-hey-hey goodbye song to departed pitchers are all traditions that started at ComiskeyPark and were later rented by the Cubs. The new roof and green seats at the stadium are a homage to the beautiful old ComiskeyPark, by the way, not to Wrigley Field. So please do not label the Sox experience as a knock off of the Cubs'. The White Sox reflect the hard-working, passionate, blue-collar attitude of Chicago wonderfully, representing Chicago as well as the gritty blues music scene.

Sincerely,

Mike DePilla

Nice. :cool:

I wonder if he has the guts to respond to your letter? Probably not.

mdep524
04-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Well, I got no response from this Chris Kenny character, but my letter was printed in the Forum section of today's Daily Northwestern:

http://www.dailynorthwestern.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/04/29/4271c5f4f3c58

Mine is the last one, at the bottom, with the semi-condescending editor's headline of "Someone still likes the Sox." It may not be much, but at least we got the word out there somewhat! Sox fans aren't going to take cheap shots lying down!

The Racehorse
04-29-2005, 11:07 AM
Well, I got no response from this Chris Kenny character, but my letter was printed in the Forum section of today's Daily Northwestern:

http://www.dailynorthwestern.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/04/29/4271c5f4f3c58

Mine is the last one, at the bottom, with the semi-condescending editor's headline of "Someone still likes the Sox." It may not be much, but at least we got the word out there somewhat! Sox fans aren't going to take cheap shots lying down!

I guess he did have the guts [sort of]... but then again, we all know about blind squirrels...

mdep524, job well done! :thumbsup:

DumpJerry
04-29-2005, 11:49 AM
After I emailed him my response to his email, he fell silent. I'm thinking he's in 7th Heaven from all the attention his article received from us. He clearly craves attention as evidenced from his obnoxious approach.

Has anyone told him about WSI so he can see what is being said about him?

woodenleg
04-29-2005, 09:50 PM
Well gang, here is the email I sent him:

The South Side is the home to some the greatest architecture in Chicago. Hyde Park, for example, has several Frank Lloyd Wright homes, many communities have magnificent homes. You see, the Chicago Fire burned down the north side, the South Side was spared.

Errr...actually, both the north & south sides have Frank Lloyd Wright homes, and the Chicago fire burned the downtown area on both sides of the river. What we now think of as 'the north side' was spared, as was what we now think of as 'the south side'.

The 'Old Roman' himself is buried in Calvary in Evanston, a predominantly Irish cemetery.

Sorry, a little OT, I know, but there was a time when a lot of the 'bad guys' lived south and some of the 'good guys' lived north. I'm a south sider, but I have family on both sides of town.

The 'beef' isn't so much a north / south thing as it is a Chicago, not-Chicago thing.

(I'm also an NU alum, btw - studied at Medill, briefly)

gosox41
04-30-2005, 09:37 AM
I am ashamed.

I didn't readall the article, but it's Northwestern so I'd expect as much from them.:D:

Go Illini.

Bob