PDA

View Full Version : Some love for Buehrle from Gammons...

halfpricemonday
04-22-2005, 02:32 PM
I guess it was too much to ask to have Gammons to comment on our best start since '35, but I guess you take what you can.

It's just a small note within his column, but in it, he calls Buehrle "the most underappreciated great pitcher in the game". Pretty high praise! Hope the rest of the baseball world finally starts to take notice (especially all those Gammons fans on the eastern seaboard).

Gammons' column (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=2043353)

hose
04-22-2005, 03:07 PM
gee I wonder how Buehrle is so under appreciated? over exposure from the media?

Fenway
04-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Gammons MLB report for WEEI

Peter Gammons - April 21st (http://rope.weei-am.fimc.net/audio/Gammons_BS_0421.wma)

Clembasbal
04-22-2005, 03:33 PM
This is bittersweet.

Gammons is an idiot in my mind, and I never want him to give credit to any Sox player. But then I think of it as him just jumping onto the fact that the Sox are 12-4 and that some Media fool better mention them. There has to be a likely player on a potential pennent winning team you know!

MeanFish
04-22-2005, 05:27 PM
This is bittersweet.

Gammons is an idiot in my mind, and I never want him to give credit to any Sox player. But then I think of it as him just jumping onto the fact that the Sox are 12-4 and that some Media fool better mention them. There has to be a likely player on a potential pennent winning team you know!

As far as non-Red Sox coverage goes on teams, Gammons tends to be fairly fly-by-night. One minute he's predicting you to win the WS, and the next you're slated to finish third in the division. However, to his credit, he stands behind teams that are proving it on the field as opposed to proving it on paper.

The only knock on him is that he seems to chase what would be the best story as opposed to the most likely -- his crosstown series article a year or two ago at mid-season is a perfect example. Unfortunately for us, the Twins were a feel-good story in the offseason what with their farm system, their Cy Young winner and their scrappy series against the Yanks in the postseason last year, which is why Gammons jumped on that bandwagon before the season.

Peter Gammons might make the occasional misinformation blunder, but who doesn't with our team? There's not exactly a wealth of information coming out of the city of Chicago regarding the White Sox. And, as a member of the national media, he's responsible for knowing much MORE information than a local media member would be.

Basically, the Gammons hate is way overdone and is extremely petty. When we win, he stands behind our team and gives us our due. What else do you want? With guys like Reynolds and Mariotti out there doing everything in their power to smear us, let's do what we can to appreciate people who at least make an effort to acknowledge our team. Peter Gammons, for better or worse, is one of those people.

DannyCaterFan
04-22-2005, 05:38 PM
I guess it was too much to ask to have Gammons to comment on our best start since '35, but I guess you take what you can.

It's just a small note within his column, but in it, he calls Buehrle "the most underappreciated great pitcher in the game". Pretty high praise! Hope the rest of the baseball world finally starts to take notice (especially all those Gammons fans on the eastern seaboard).

Gammons' column (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=2043353)

All the Sox have to do is keep winning, and everbody will notice the Sox and Mark.