PDA

View Full Version : 1st place, 12-4 best in AL White Sox in the News? Sorry, no way

Hangar18
04-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Much like in 2000, when the SOX got off to that great start and we were beating teams left and right, the Chicago Media chose to instead dominate sports coverage with what was wrong with the other team 8 miles north,
and then alternately, dismiss the hot start because we were playing lesser
opponents, and wait til the SOX play NY and Cleveland on the road.

Well, just like that year, the Chicago Media is again ignoring the SOX,
refusing to acknowledge the 12-4 start, best since 1935. No, no mention
of how hot we are, or much better the team play is, or how good the staff
has been. No, just quick mentions here and there that we won yesterday
and dominating coverage on how a certain pitcher got a win the other nite,
and how the new MEDIA HERO is hurt, and how that poor team is in trouble.

Sox swept the Tigers yesterday to stay 2 games in 1st?
Cubune? Giant full color picture (2nd day in a row) talking about other team and injury.
Cub-Times? Giant full color picture (2nd day in a row) talking about other team, and injury, Not to mention 4 stories, while we get only 2.
SOX coverage again relegated, with less coverage mind you, to the lesser pages.

TommyJohn
04-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Much like in 2000, when the SOX got off to that great start and we were beating teams left and right, the Chicago Media chose to instead dominate sports coverage with what was wrong with the other team 8 miles north,

refusing to acknowledge the 12-4 start, best since 1934. No, no mention

Cubune? Giant full color picture (2nd day in a row) talking about other team and injury.
Cub-Times? Giant full color picture (2nd day in a row) talking about other team, and injury, Not to mention 4 stories, while we get only 2.

Don't mean to nitpick, Hang, but it is the best start since 1935, not 1934.
In 1934 they started 4-13, I think.

RKMeibalane
04-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Enough, Hangar. Seriously.

Flight #24
04-22-2005, 11:23 AM
You're slipping, Hangar. No mention that the Cubune puts a front page/above the fold box with Ozzie's manufactured quotes, along with an article detailing his rant v. Maggs while underplaying the fact that Maggs actually provoked him?

All while putting the Sox 2d straight sweep of a division opponent on p.3. And no major mention that Maggs is "conveniently" injured with mysterious ailments undetectable by modern medicine.

HomeFish
04-22-2005, 11:24 AM
How many RBIs does media coverage hit? How many bases can it steal? How many extra wins will it translate to?

If Media coverage was relevant, the Cubs would be back-to-back World Series champs, and would be going into their third undefeated season now.

I'll take 12-4 over the front page any day, and I don't particularly mind the front-page pictures of Nomar rolling around on the ground either.

LVSoxFan
04-22-2005, 11:26 AM
I dunno if I'm all that bent about the Sox coverage thus far. They got the back page of the Sun-Times, a full-cover shot.

Plus, as much as I hate the Cubs, losing Nomar for the season (or a good chunk of it)--that is HUGE news. What a nasty, nasty injury.

Look on the bright side--we can get tickets to any game we want (except Cubs or Red Sox) because we're the stepchild team in town.

I watched how, after the 2003 near-miss, the Cubs games went from mostly sold to utterly sold-out, all season long. Any big name team, forget it. But even regular games are completely sold out and I haven't sat in a decent spot in that park for two years because of the demand (not that I spend a lot of time there).

I'm rambling now... :bandance:

RKMeibalane
If Media coverage was relevant, the Cubs would be back-to-back World Series champs, and would be going into their third undefeated season now.

And you would be happy.

Irishsox1
The Sox got a lot media coverage today, but it was for Ozzie's loudmouth swear fest. I don't know what to make of it, is it an disagreement or is it some Venezula thing?

Baby Fisk
04-22-2005, 11:29 AM

Heh heh, well put. If media coverage meant anything, there would be a three team Baseball Premier League (NYY, BOS, CHC) with all those other, "regional" teams relegated to a lower division.

elrod
04-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Until we do well in Oakland I won't get overly excited. It's been a great start up to now, with the team getting timely hits and great pitching. But what the hell's new about the coverage? In other words...

:whocares

HomeFish
04-22-2005, 11:30 AM
And you would be happy.

:troll

Hangar18
04-22-2005, 11:31 AM
How many RBIs does media coverage hit? How many bases can it steal? How many extra wins will it translate to?

I'll take 12-4 over the front page any day, and I don't particularly mind the front-page pictures of Nomar rolling around on the ground either.

All good points, but media coverage would help with perceptions, which
we all know how theyve affected this team thus far. If people think your
product is bad, they wont buy it. Bad for business. Id much rather
see the SOX get their props for playing solid team baseball, instead of them
being ignored like this. What angers me is if that team was 12-4 instead,
WS Parades would be scheduled, and ESPN morning show would relocate
to Chicago for the summer. then id move away til October .......

Baby Fisk
04-22-2005, 11:34 AM

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Finding the bed you made uncomfy now?

RKM is as much of a troll as Ron Santo is a Hall of Famer.

Johnny Mostil
04-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Don't mean to nitpick, Hang, but it is the best start since 1935, not 1934.
In 1934 they started 4-13, I think.

Yep. It was '35 when they started 12-4, even reaching 51-37 in the second half of the season--before finishing with a 74-78 record.

Here's to West Coast success this year . . .

A.T. Money
04-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Dammit, enjoy the success. I couldn't care less if the media picked up on it. Some people are just totally obsessed with attention.

skottyj242
04-22-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm really suprised that this hasn't been mentioned yet but we're off to the best start since 1935, guess what happened in 1935? The Cubs made the World Series. So it's gotta be looking good for the Cubs because we're winning.

TommyJohn
04-22-2005, 11:48 AM
I'm really suprised that this hasn't been mentioned yet but we're off to the best start since 1935, guess what happened in 1935? The Cubs made the World Series. So it's gotta be looking good for the Cubs because we're winning.

I've NO DOUBT someone in the media will mention that!

RKMeibalane
04-22-2005, 12:05 PM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Finding the bed you made uncomfy now?

RKM is as much of a troll as Ron Santo is a Hall of Famer.

Thank you.

If Homefish would take the time to read my posts, he would realize that I do not routinely make a point of calling other WSI members "Cubs fans." My reasons for the continued jibes about HF's closet-Cub fandom revolve around the fact that so many of his posts deal with the Cubs in some capacity. What's more, there is the issue of his pessimism about anything and everything to do with the Sox. Things have gotten so bad recently that the mods created a special "Dark Cloud" thread, solely intended for any posts made by HomeFish that deal with negative thoughts or feelings about the Chicago White Sox organization.

Homefish, if you would like people to stop accusing you of being a Cubs fan, then you should probably stop talking about them.

Frater Perdurabo
04-22-2005, 12:17 PM
I wonder if the Trib is making so much of the Maggs-Guillen agument in order to distract attention from the upcoming anniversary of the infamous April 29, 1983, Lee Elia tirade.

Brian26
04-22-2005, 12:18 PM
I didn't count the stories in the Cubune this morning, but it seemed like the Sox got more ink. The one thing I'm noticing is that the Cubs are generally getting the biggest photo on the front page, but the Sox are getting more ink or more stories throughout the entire sports section.

chuckn98229
04-22-2005, 12:20 PM
I find it interesting that the Cubune's on-line version (the only one I can get way out here), had no story about the White Sox win and sweep in Detroit. Of course, the Sox stories were about magglio the whiner and Ozzie's response. There were, however, lots of stories about the flubs and nomar the slug.

Soxzilla
04-22-2005, 12:45 PM

Well isn't that just the pot calling the kettle black.

Johnny Mostil
04-22-2005, 01:03 PM
I wonder if the Trib is making so much of the Maggs-Guillen agument in order to distract attention from the upcoming anniversary of the infamous April 29, 1983, Lee Elia tirade.

Um, is this serious? (Hard for me to tell without color-coded text . . . ) Who cares about the 22nd anniversary of something like that?

Rocky Soprano
04-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Enough, Hangar. Seriously.

I agree! Im sorry but you bitch way too much.

As a big Sox fan you should just enjoy this great start and not care about everyone else. Trust me, you will live longer that way.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2005, 01:17 PM
This post was from MAXIMO in another thread. It is in my opinion, a great post.

"After careful review of many of these threads for many, many months, the following assumptions might be made.

As Sox fans we want:

1. A team that tries to compete for World Championships both on the field and in the Front Office.

2. Respect from the local media meaning our team is an important entity and a contributor to the general welfare of the city of Chicago and its neighboring regions.

3. Recognition from national media outlets by generously including news stories about our team as "lead-ins" rather than "fill-ins"

4. At least 5 or more members of our team to be selected to the All-Star game on an annual basis.

5. A stadium that is not only filled, but unique, safe, comfortable, customer friendly, and legendary.

6. Retail stores around the country, perhaps world, loaded with our team's paraphernalia.

7. Ball players who we not only recognize as heroes, but good and honest men who get along well with the media.

Yep.....we pretty much want the same things that the fans of the Northside team have been getting for the past 20 years.

Realistically, I'll settle for number 1 at the moment and hope that numbers 2-7 begin to follow after that."

Hangar it all starts from his 1st point, that's the only way things will change.

Lip

Rocky Soprano
04-22-2005, 01:20 PM
This post was from MAXIMO in another thread. It is in my opinion, a great post.

"After careful review of many of these threads for many, many months, the following assumptions might be made.

As Sox fans we want:

1. A team that tries to compete for World Championships both on the field and in the Front Office.

2. Respect from the local media meaning our team is an important entity and a contributor to the general welfare of the city of Chicago and its neighboring regions.

3. Recognition from national media outlets by generously including news stories about our team as "lead-ins" rather than "fill-ins"

4. At least 5 or more members of our team to be selected to the All-Star game on an annual basis.

5. A stadium that is not only filled, but unique, safe, comfortable, customer friendly, and legendary.

6. Retail stores around the country, perhaps world, loaded with our team's paraphernalia.

7. Ball players who we not only recognize as heroes, but good and honest men who get along well with the media.

Yep.....we pretty much want the same things that the fans of the Northside team have been getting for the past 20 years.

Realistically, I'll settle for number 1 at the moment and hope that numbers 2-7 begin to follow after that."

Hangar it all starts from his 1st point, that's the only way things will change.

Lip

The Cubs dont have all of the stuff above but I know what the post is pointing at.

The Sox are playing great. Be happy!

DumpJerry
04-22-2005, 01:25 PM
Dammit, enjoy the success. I couldn't care less if the media picked up on it. Some people are just totally obsessed with attention.
My feelings exactly. I know the team is doing great. My friends who are Sox fans know it, too. Anyone who follows baseball can see it as well. Do I care if the local media is playing it up? Nope. I graduated from high school over 20 years ago, I'm not trying to win any popularity contests or win approval from the "in" crowd......

Bobbo35
04-22-2005, 11:55 PM

Can't agree with you anymore Hangar18. It's also the fact that I am so sick of hearing the soap opera in wrigleyville, let alone hearing it from co-workers, idiot friends, and seeing these people around Chicago following around the cubs like the sheep they are.

What I am saying is that they need to blow the coverage to the South where it is deserved.

Go Sox

13-4 and gaining confidence!

elrod
04-23-2005, 12:16 AM
Sportscenter leads off with the White Sox now. We're getting national recognition. More than we are locally where it's all NoMoreGroin all the time.

soxfanforlife28
04-23-2005, 12:28 AM

SOX coverage again relegated, with less coverage mind you, to the lesser pages.I have to agree with u. Im from southbend and attend alot of sox games. The point is majority is cub fans. And i sat in this bar tonite mainly cub fans, and argued about what the concept was. No matter what theres never gonna be any recognition from media or anyone. Complete denial. I just know the fact i felt proud goin into a all cub bar with my sox jersey and no one said a dam word to me. So dont worry about it man. Its what we have to deal with. And to be honest i rather the media be away from us. We dont need to be like the clueless cubs makin predictions then chokin in the middle. We as sox fans seen enough pain and are enjoyin the fact we might have a chance at this. Take care go sox