PDA

View Full Version : Should Cliff Politte Get more Work

SoxFan48
04-21-2005, 10:56 PM
His early seasons are mind-boggling

10/1 K/BB ratio
15.88 K per nine innings
.71 WHIP

Cliff has also been a closer before. Should he join the closer by committee rotation?

MRKARNO
04-21-2005, 11:03 PM
Beware the small sample size. But I think he will make a very valuable pitcher for the 7th or possibly even 8th innings. It would take failures by many others in line before him and an outstanding job at middle relief for him to join the closer by committee group.

Daver
04-21-2005, 11:05 PM
This thread is perfect proof of why propellerheads do not play.

JB98
04-21-2005, 11:09 PM
Politte failed miserably as a closer in Toronto. I like him in the role he's in.

Ol' No. 2
04-21-2005, 11:12 PM
Politte failed miserably as a closer in Toronto. I like him in the role he's in.IIRC, he didn't do too well last year the few times he pitched in the 9th inning. Some guys are just allergic to the 9th inning (see Horking, LaTroy). Also look at his splits. Lefties hit almost .300 against him.

samram
04-21-2005, 11:16 PM
IIRC, he didn't do too well last year the few times he pitched in the 9th inning. Some guys are just allergic to the 9th inning (see Horking, LaTroy). Also look at his splits. Lefties hit almost .300 against him.

True, and let's remember that the team is 12-4. Why not stick with what's working until there's a sign that things need to be changed? Hell, maybe if Politte was pitching more, he wouldn't throw as hard and he wouldn't be as effective.

owensmouth
04-21-2005, 11:32 PM
You want Ozzie to pull his starters earlier?

With Jose starting tomorrow, Politte will get his inning(s) in.

SoxFan48
04-21-2005, 11:33 PM

This propellerhead played three years of minor league baseball. How far did your career go?

tacosalbarojas
04-21-2005, 11:35 PM
IIRC, he didn't do too well last year the few times he pitched in the 9th inning. Some guys are just allergic to the 9th inning (see Horking, LaTroy). Also look at his splits. Lefties hit almost .300 against him.
Politte is totally a seventh/eighth inning guy. We're so much better off with him in the middle/setup relief role. If anything happens with the closer role, I see a Hermie/Shingo split a la Dibble/Charlton. Marte will get in the mix against some lefties. I think the different looks against the opposition will work nicely. A lot better in the long run than Shingo going it alone.

Mohoney
04-22-2005, 01:14 AM
I liked what I saw from Cliff last year before he got seriously overworked. Cliff, Marte, and Shingo were all overworked last season, and it wasn't entirely Ozzie's fault, either. It was out of necessity, as these were the only 3 guys that could be trusted.

Thank you, Kenny Williams, for adding El Duque to fill out the rotation and end the 5th starter fiasco. Thank you for revamping this bullpen with two more quality arms in Hermanson and Vizcaino.

Thank you for recognizing that the real problem with this team was the pitching staff and its next-to-last ERA.

FarWestChicago
04-22-2005, 01:17 AM
This propellerhead played three years of minor league baseball. How far did your career go?Wow, I will hang on your every word from now on. :o:

hose
04-22-2005, 01:20 AM
[QUOTE=SoxFan48]This propellerhead played three years of minor league baseball. How far did your career go?[/QUOTE

Where did you play?

Politte is valuable but I don't think he would he would have much success closing out games based on his track record. He fits his present role pretty good as it is.

StillMissOzzie
04-22-2005, 02:45 AM

You mean the Sox won't project out to win 120 games (a .750 pace), Garland won't go 30-0, or Buehrle won't go 30-10? Shocking...

SMO
:D:

owensmouth
04-22-2005, 02:53 AM
You mean the Sox won't project out to win 120 games (a .750 pace), Garland won't go 30-0, or Buehrle won't go 30-10? Shocking...

SMO
:D:They won't?

SoxFan48
04-22-2005, 08:05 AM
[QUOTE=hose][QUOTE=SoxFan48]This propellerhead played three years of minor league baseball. How far did your career go?[/QUOTE

Where did you play?]

Burlington and Winston-Salem, to be exact.

fquaye149
04-22-2005, 08:55 AM
[QUOTE=hose][QUOTE=SoxFan48]

That's very impressive. And I say that with the utmost sincerity. HOWEVER, the point still stands that a middle reliever's lights out numbers 16 games into the season don't mean a whole lot. It's nice to see Politte succeeding, however

a.) Middle relief numbers often don't translate to the closer role. See Arthur Rhodes, La Troy Hawkins, Octavio Dotel, and a host of other ballplayers. Heck, you don't have to look too much farther than Damaso Marte to see this.

b.) Even if 16 games weren't such a small sample size...even if it were say 50 games or 30 innings or anything...his past numbers seem to suggest that Politte in particular is not all that comfortable with closing.

It's nice to have a middle reliever who can torch and it's nice to know he could probably do in a pinch...but we have 2 capable closers who have had success at the MLB level, and we should probably stick w/ them.

JRIG
04-22-2005, 09:09 AM
[QUOTE=SoxFan48][QUOTE=hose]

That's very impressive. And I say that with the utmost sincerity. HOWEVER, the point still stands that a middle reliever's lights out numbers 16 games into the season don't mean a whole lot. It's nice to see Politte succeeding, however

a.) Middle relief numbers often don't translate to the closer role. See Arthur Rhodes, La Troy Hawkins, Octavio Dotel, and a host of other ballplayers. Heck, you don't have to look too much farther than Damaso Marte to see this.

b.) Even if 16 games weren't such a small sample size...even if it were say 50 games or 30 innings or anything...his past numbers seem to suggest that Politte in particular is not all that comfortable with closing.

It's nice to have a middle reliever who can torch and it's nice to know he could probably do in a pinch...but we have 2 capable closers who have had success at the MLB level, and we should probably stick w/ them.

A very good post.

I like Cliff Politte, and I liked his signing before last year. Best case scenario, I think he can be a bullpen ace in the 7th and 8th, a la Tom Gordon two years ago.

hose
04-22-2005, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=hose][QUOTE=SoxFan48]This propellerhead played three years of minor league baseball. How far did your career go?[/QUOTE

Where did you play?]

If you were a Burlington Bee tell me you went to Pizzazz's across the street from the ball park to party.:gulp:

It has since changed owners and is a run down second rate motel, but at one time it was about all that was happening west of the Mississippi for about a 100 square miles of Iowa.

***of course Burlington had it's blue laws in effect and you had to cross over the river to Illinois to buy package liquor on Sundays.

Jerome
04-22-2005, 09:47 AM
I almost forgot about Politte. Just shows how deep our bullpen is. We don't have a superstar like a Gagne or Francisco Cordero, but we have 4-5 guys who can go out there and get three outs. Some good arms. The flubs would kill to have our bullpen.

Ol' No. 2
04-22-2005, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=SoxFan48][QUOTE=hose]

It's nice to have a middle reliever who can torch and it's nice to know he could probably do in a pinch...but we have 2 capable closers who have had success at the MLB level, and we should probably stick w/ them.What's wrong with using Politte in the 7th and 8th innings? IMO, it's better to use a guy like Politte in the middle innings when you're in a jam than to try to force him into a closers role. In fact, those are exactly the situations when I would want to use my most reliable reliever - 7th or 8th innings when the opposition is rallying.