PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Rob Neyer & Jayson Stark Chats

havelj
04-21-2005, 09:44 PM
Neyer:
Question: I just read on ESPN.com that Nomar is out for 2-3 months. Are the Cubs doomed without him or can the rest of the offense pick up the slack?

Rob Neyer: They're done. I said before the season the Cubs had a shot this season only if Kerry Wood and Mark Prior combined for 60 starts. Now they've got a shot only if Neifi Perez makes a deal with Mr. Applegate.

Stark:
Question: Jayson, you hit on Nomar a little, but what do the Cubs do now? They couldn't possibly go with Hairston and Neifi Perez in that lineup along with a week leftfielder, could they?

Jayson Stark:It's too early to say what they'll do. But this is a huge problem. There isn't one big-name shortstop heading for free agency next winter - except Nomar. So there's not even any assurance that there will be any great options to make a deal in June or July. Offense becomes a monstrous worry for this team without Nomar and Todd Walker. The Cubs have young pitching they can deal, but right now, there's nobody worth trading for.

ouch.

WhteSox725
04-22-2005, 08:21 AM
Stark:
Question: Jayson, you hit on Nomar a little, but what do the Cubs do now? They couldn't possibly go with Hairston and Neifi Perez in that lineup along with a week leftfielder, could they?

Jayson Stark:It's too early to say what they'll do. But this is a huge problem. There isn't one big-name shortstop heading for free agency next winter - except Nomar. So there's not even any assurance that there will be any great options to make a deal in June or July. Offense becomes a monstrous worry for this team without Nomar and Todd Walker. The Cubs have young pitching they can deal, but right now, there's nobody worth trading for.

ouch.

Not that Atlanta would give Furcal up at the moment but isn't he a free agent after the season? May not be the biggest name out there but he might be worth making a trade for. Guess Stark doesn't like Furcal.

jordan23ventura
04-24-2005, 12:12 AM
Not that Atlanta would give Furcal up at the moment but isn't he a free agent after the season? May not be the biggest name out there but he might be worth making a trade for. Guess Stark doesn't like Furcal.

Just because some Cub fan on the radio decides the team is now going to try to get Furcal doesn't mean the Braves are stupid. They will contend, as they always do, and I would think they would only deal him if they were sure they could not sign him to an extension. They would be entitled to a draft pick as long as they at least offered arbitration, so they would have to be given a deal that would blow them out of the water. Schuerholz (sp?) hasn't been in ATL all these years because he's a moron. And if Hendry has any sense at all, he would be the one dumping players at midseason. Kerry Wood should be the first to go if they have any hope for their future. And while they are at it, they might as well try to get something for Walker if he can come back, as well as Hawkins and Hollandsworth.

Whitesox029
04-24-2005, 12:45 AM
Guesses:
When will the Cubs next finish lower than 3rd or 10 games under .500, whichever comes first?
I say 2006, if they're lucky. Their so called "5-year window" that started in 03 will expire early.

SoxSpeed22
04-24-2005, 01:06 AM
Guesses:
When will the Cubs next finish lower than 3rd or 10 games under .500, whichever comes first?
I say 2006, if they're lucky. Their so called "5-year window" that started in 03 will expire early.76-86 is pretty realistic for this year. After all is said done, all Dusty Baker accomplished is turning the Cub fans into the wackos they are now.

Banix12
04-24-2005, 01:44 AM
Considering Boston did it without Nomar and Todd Walker, I'd say it's possible the cubs aren't done. In fact I'd say their defense has upgraded with the injuries and the lineup has upgraded because now Dusty doesn't have an excuse to bat Patterson leadoff.

What's gonna kill the cubs is the same stuff that killed them last year, lack of closer, few reliable middle relievers, and horrible hitting with runners in scoring position. A healthy Nomar and Walker wouldn't solve the hitting problem since they were part of the hitting problem last year.

Ol' No. 2
04-24-2005, 10:23 AM
They have a shaky rotation, no bullpen, and they have the same one-dimensional offense that we're all too familiar with. Their OF could easily assemble 400 SO. They're basically a .500 team (give or take a few games), with or without No-more. All his injury will do is give delusional Cubs fans an excuse.

MIgrenade
04-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Considering Boston did it without Nomar and Todd Walker, I'd say it's possible the cubs aren't done. In fact I'd say their defense has upgraded with the injuries and the lineup has upgraded because now Dusty doesn't have an excuse to bat Patterson leadoff.

Red Sox did it with Manny and Ortiz. The Cubs have nothing like that plus no bullpen.