PDA

View Full Version : Ordonez calls Sox skipper his 'enemy'

DickAllen72
04-21-2005, 10:31 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050421&content_id=1023969&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

"No. I don't want to see him," said the soft-spoken Ordonez of his manager last season.

That reference to Guillen only tipped off the brief, but pointed, commentary from Ordonez. Surprisingly, Ordonez expressed no problems with general manager Ken Williams, who seemed to be the center of the offseason firestorm when Ordonez switched representation to Scott Boras.

"We never clicked, even when we played together," Ordonez continued on his relationship with Guillen. "I don't consider him my friend. I have nothing to say. I don't want to see him. I don't want to talk to him. He's my enemy. Even if he talks to me and tries to apologize, I won't accept it."

The problem Ordonez has with Guillen, on the surface, appears to stem from the perception that Guillen stuck his nose into the on-going contractual negotiations with the White Sox in 2004. Ordonez said Thursday that those sort of situations are between the general manager, the owner and his agent, and that the manager simply should worry about his team.

But Guillen has a different recollection of that particular issue. He remembers being approached by Tom Reich, Ordonez's agent at the time, in terms of doing what he could to help bring home a multi-year deal for his client. Ordonez and Guillen also talked about the situation at a bar in Baltimore in early May, according to Guillen, before Ordonez injured his left knee during a collision with Willie Harris in Cleveland late in the game on May 19.

Guillen said that he had a similar talk with Freddy Garcia, and the big right-hander signed a three-year deal shortly thereafter last season.

At the point of the injury, Guillen advised Ordonez to think about the offer on the table from the White Sox. That deal was worth $60 million over five years, with more money deferred. Ordonez eventually signed a five-year, $75 million deal with Detroit.

Focusing on Guillen's involvement in the contractual issue was the manager's mellowest state during his 10-minute talk Thursday. When he was told that Ordonez considered him an enemy and wouldn't accept his apology, Guillen fired back in a manner primarily not suitable for a family audience.

"Apologize to who? I don't have to apologize to anybody," Guillen said. "He's the first one to name me. He said I was pushing him to play, and I was responsible. Don't make me feel like I was the bad guy in this.

"He's playing with fire. I'm not afraid of him. I have nothing to do with Magglio wearing the Detroit Tigers uniform.

"Every time he played for me, he played good," Guillen added. "But if he thinks I'm his enemy or I have something against him, that's up to him."

Mark Buehrle
04-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Hilarious!! :d:

RKMeibalane
04-21-2005, 10:34 PM
If you ask me, I think Magglio's biggest enemy is Scott Borass. The difference between Maggs and I is that he doesn't know it, yet. I'm tired of listening to this drama queen whine about how terrible his life is. He's getting paid more money than he deserves just to wake up in the morning.

Did anyone read the article in the Southtown. Maggs met with a physician in Montreal, and this man could find no evidence of a hernia, yet he could not rule one out, either. Hmmm... :cool:

Fake Chet Lemon
04-21-2005, 10:38 PM
It's a shame how many people have to always blame others for their mistakes. The Sox offered him $60mil guaranteed for five years and he turned it down, now it's Ozzie's fault. I've never wished an injury to someone, I may soon change my mind. If Ordonez never plays another game, it won't keep me up at night. * Rule of Thumb*- When offered $60mil the answer is YES.

PaleHoseGeorge
This guy is simply unbelievable.... still flapping his gums even now.

Please God, can Magglio's next ailment be paralysis of the jaw? He simply won't stop whining.

Whitesox029
Hey, dude, What's the Score?

Seriously when is he ever going to shut his trap? My real question is does he still expect to be welcomed warmly when he returns to USCF?

samram
04-21-2005, 10:39 PM
He's getting paid more money than he deserves just to wake up in the morning.

Actually, that makes Boras his best friend. I wish I had that type of deal. As far as I know, there's one agent out there that could have got Maggs what he got, and that's Boras.

nordhagen
04-21-2005, 10:41 PM
Hey, dude, What's the Score?

Seriously when is he ever going to shut his trap? My real question is does he still expect to be welcomed warmly when he returns to USCF?

Better question is he even going to be able to play? And even when he does, will it be at the same level he once was?

Mark Buehrle
04-21-2005, 10:42 PM
I honestly hope he gets booed extremely loudly when the tigers play us at home (and he's not on the DL).

PaleHoseGeorge
04-21-2005, 10:43 PM
Here's my favorite quote.
:cool:

"He might be jealous of me, I don't know why," Guillen said. "But saying I'm his enemy, he hates me, I could care less what he thinks. I don't care what he does with the rest of his life."

Ol' No. 2
04-21-2005, 10:45 PM
This guy is simply unbelievable.... still flapping his gums even now.

Please God, can Magglio's next ailment be paralysis of the jaw? He simply won't stop whining.:rolling:

TheBull19
04-21-2005, 10:45 PM
I liked Ordonez when he was here, but this guy's obviously a scumbag - I'm convinced his "hernia" is just an attempt to circumvent the clause in his new contract that would cost him 69-100 mil, and now this. I hope he comes back and Contreras or Vizcaino puts one in his ear.

Ron Karkovice
04-21-2005, 10:46 PM
Magglio is a piece of trash it seems... but I still have too many good memories of him with the sox to boo him.:(:

FarWestChicago
04-21-2005, 10:48 PM
Since when does a knee injury cause psychosis? This guy is insane. :?:

kevingrt
04-21-2005, 10:48 PM
MAggs was great on our team but when he got injured and left he has been everything but great. So many athletes are like this as our fans if you look on the other side of town.

What are we going to do about it though? I just hope we can kill the Tiggers when they come to town.

DickAllen72
04-21-2005, 10:49 PM
So Ozzie made Magg's "enemik" list!

Irishsox1
04-21-2005, 10:56 PM
Ozzie shouldn't have resorted to a war of words with the money hungry scum bag. Ozzie should deny comments from here on out when it comes to Magglio.

It's a shame to see a once quiet leader, turn into an angry, bitter, money hungry bench warmer. If Magglio should be angry at anyone, it should be Willie Harris for ruining his knee. As for Magglio, he should grow up and move on. He acts like he's the only player in the world to get injured and then sign with another team.

It's now becoming clear that Magglio is a clubhouse cancer. The Tigers bought a lemon.

samram
04-21-2005, 10:58 PM

I'll tell ya, I don't want whatever knee injury he has. Not only has it caused psychosis, but diverticulitis, fake hernia, bitterness, misplaced anger, stupdity, if not near retardation, and diarrhea of the mouth, as well- oh, and inability to play baseball due to a knee injury. It's awful.

That said, shut up, Maggs. No one wants to hear it anymore.

DickAllen72
04-21-2005, 11:03 PM
If Magglio should be angry at anyone, it should be Willie Harris for ruining his knee. As for Magglio, he should grow up and move on. He acts like he's the only player in the world to get injured and then sign with another team.

It's now becoming clear that Magglio is a clubhouse cancer. The Tigers bought a lemon.

If anything, Willie should be angry at Maggs for not calling him off the ball, then for crashing into him, injuring his ankle. Harris played hobbled with an injured ankle for the rest of the season due to that play.

Flight #24
04-21-2005, 11:07 PM
If anything, Willie should be angry at Maggs for not calling him off the ball, then for crashing into him, injuring his ankle. Harris played hobbled with an injured ankle for the rest of the season due to that play.

True. In an ironic twist of fate, Maggs caused his own demise since he's the guy who has to be in charge on that play. It's 100% the OF's job to call off the IF.

That said - ths bitterness is understandable, he's already scrambling for weird injuries and it's not even May yet. His anticipated $$$ are twirling down the toilet and he's lashing out. And obviously, it's Ozzie's fault - I mean he didn't go to management and tell them to write an insane check, what was he thinking?

mealfred13
04-21-2005, 11:09 PM
I liked these choice gems:

"Magglio was never my friend because I don't know him," Guillen said of Ordonez. "If he thinks what I said hurt him, I don't (care). I didn't come here to make friends. I came here to win games.

"I've got a lot of friends. If Magglio doesn't want to be my friend, I'm not going to lose sleep at night.

"He better shut up and just play for the Detroit Tigers," an adamant Guillen added. "Why do I have to go over and apologize to him? Who is Magglio Ordonez? But he said I'm his enemy and he knows me. Tell him he knows me, and he can take it how he wants to take it."

PaleHoseGeorge
04-21-2005, 11:11 PM

What was going through Magglio's mind that night last May that we now know changed the fate of his previously stellar baseball career? Here's my guess...

:maggs
"It sure is boring standing out here in right field. I need to hit a homer or 2-rbi double before this game ends. Next year I'll make more money than a circus dog can jump over. Hey that one is hit my way. I'm going to make a terrific catch! ESPN Web Gems, here I come! Whoooo! Ow! Ow! Ow! MY LI'L KNEEEEEE!!!"

:weewillie
"Why didn't you call me off, dumbass? Whoops... get a doctor out here!"

Ron Karkovice
04-21-2005, 11:13 PM
I wonder how Dusty would respond if he were in Ozzie's spot: "I don't know anything bout no magglio ordonez dude... I just protect my players and if magglio isnt one of my current dudes then he can buy his holy water elsewhere. dude."

MRKARNO
04-21-2005, 11:35 PM
Here's my favorite quote.

:roflmao:

That quote was amazing. The best I've seen from anyone in baseball in a long time. This whole Magglio ordeal is definitely full of comedic value.

DrCrawdad
04-21-2005, 11:35 PM
Guillen fired back in a manner primarily not suitable for a family audience.

My response to Ordonez would be quite the same as Guillen's.

Kogs35
04-21-2005, 11:41 PM

pain killer overload? :rolleyes:

Viva Medias B's
04-21-2005, 11:43 PM
Ordonez ripped a fellow countryman. I wonder how these comments will play in Venezuela, where Ozzie is beloved.

A.T. Money
04-21-2005, 11:44 PM
Ordonez has disappointed me big time. What a prick.

I gotta side with the Ozzaroo here.

owensmouth
04-21-2005, 11:44 PM
Somebody give him a doughnut

JohnBasedowYoda
04-21-2005, 11:45 PM
i sorta wanna have a few beers with ozzie. maybe get into a bar brawl. he seems to be good like that

Mickster
04-21-2005, 11:47 PM
I wonder how Dusty would respond if he were in Ozzie's spot: "I don't know anything bout no magglio ordonez dude... I just protect my players and if magglio isnt one of my current dudes then he can buy his holy water elsewhere. dude."

:D: :D: :D:

Viva Medias B's
04-21-2005, 11:49 PM
If Ordonez were to appear in the lineup with the Sox playing Detroit, I wonder what Ozzie will tell the Sox starting pitcher?

:ozzie
[Insert starting pitcher's name here], I want you to throw your fastball and bean that [not suitable for a family audience]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LauraJ14
04-21-2005, 11:49 PM
Isn't it sad the way that this Maggs situation has turned out? Here was a good ballplayer that we rooted for, an All-star outfielder, a good guy ( so it seemed) and look what money has done to him. If you would have told me a year ago that it would have turned so bitter, I never would have believed it.

Viva Medias B's
04-21-2005, 11:53 PM
i sorta wanna have a few beers with ozzie. maybe get into a bar brawl. he seems to be good like that

At SoxFest, a few of us Sox fans and I had a few beers in the atrium bar with Ozzie Jr. No brawls, however. But Ozzie Jr. is very much his father's son, let's say.

ode to veeck
04-21-2005, 11:54 PM
The Maggs situation just gets sadder and sadder, and he's sure makin' it real easy for folks not to like him ... very sad

stillz
04-22-2005, 12:04 AM
It is truly not going to be pretty when, and if, Magglio returns to Chicago. Who'd have thought this previously great right fielder would become a paranoid, trash-talking beeotch? Not me.

Viva Medias B's
04-22-2005, 12:06 AM
Could it be that :maggs has become more reviled than :shammy?

Unregistered
04-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Haha, this is great. From the Trib:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/images/standard/clear.gif "He's a [bleep], that's what he is," Guillen continued. "He's another Venezuelan [bleep]. [Bleep] him.

"He has an enemy. Now he has a big one. He knows I can [bleep] him a lot of different ways. He better shut the [bleep] up and play for the Detroit Tigers."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050421maggs,1,2750432.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Don't hurt 'em, Oz... :D:

Viva Medias B's
04-22-2005, 12:10 AM

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050421maggs,1,2750432.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Why doesn't Ozzie come off the fence and tell us how he really feels?

NardiWasHere
04-22-2005, 12:13 AM
If Magglio doesn't want to be my friend, I don't have to drink with him.

"… A couple people asked me about it, and [I] was nice about his injury and [bleep]. I don't give a [bleep] what he does for the rest of his life. He [bleeped] with the wrong guy."

:

I LOVE OZZIE.... He sounds like Rambo or somthing.... someone should doctor a picture of him. Magglio doesn't have to drink with him, but I sure wanna.

CPditka
04-22-2005, 12:19 AM
I love this. Go Ozzie!

If I was at the Tiger game I would boo so loudly they could hear me in Detroit... and in Bristol, in case ESPNy Yankees would like to cover it.

HebrewHammer
04-22-2005, 12:23 AM

:hawk
"Mercy."

Personally I'd rather have our guys throw to Maggs(assuming he ever plays again), I'd rather see an 0-4 with 2 K's and a DP than see him standing on first.

beckett21
04-22-2005, 12:24 AM
The Maggs situation just gets sadder and sadder, and he's sure makin' it real easy for folks not to like him ... very sad

Exactly right.

Wow. Just wow.

:kukoo:

Viva Medias B's
04-22-2005, 12:24 AM
I feel like such a [bleep]head for once having "ˇViva Mágglio!" as my WSI handle. Ordonez has turned out to be [not suitable for a family audience].

ChiSox14305635
04-22-2005, 12:42 AM
:moron

"So what that they're 12-4, and have the 2nd best record in the majors. Because the Chairman refused to re-sign the best player to wear a uniform on the South Side of Chicago, they're not worthy of our respect. The Blizzard of Oz bit off more than he could chew. He'll never be half the man Maggs is."

So, what do you think?

"Couldn't have wrote it better myself."

:moron:

I knew you'd like it.

cheeses_h_rice
04-22-2005, 12:46 AM

Hell no.

Maggs played hard as a White Sox, never showboated, never cheated, and always kept his ego in check until the last year of his contract.

Maggs is acting like a dick now that he probably realizes his career might be over and that he and his agent have to lie and put on a charade in order to get paid in full. Which is sad, really, but this episode in his career cannot compare to a decade's worth of steroid abusing, bat corking, sham charities, faux humility, and Jesus Christ-comparing that the Shaminator has pulled off.

So please, a little perspective.

FarWestChicago
04-22-2005, 12:47 AM
You just have to laugh your ass off at Lip and the other Borass lovers who were so down on the Sox over letting the "wonderful and great Mags" get away. He's now a complete joke and blight on the sport. :rolleyes:

ChiSox14305635
04-22-2005, 12:48 AM
You just have to laugh your ass off at Lip and the other Borass lovers who were so down on the Sox over letting the "wonderful and great Mags" get away. He's now a complete joke and blight on the sport. :rolleyes:

I think Sox fans are the only ones to feel that way. The rest of the media does a good job of spin control to make the Sox look like spendthrifts.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-22-2005, 12:49 AM
Just when we're putting together a nice little winning streak something like this has to happen and distract everybody. Hopefully crede, garland, and all the other dudes stay focused.

FarWestChicago
04-22-2005, 12:50 AM
Hell no.

Maggs played hard as a White Sox, never showboated, never cheated, and always kept his ego in check until the last year of his contract.

Maggs is acting like a dick now that he probably realizes his career might be over and that he and his agent have to lie and put on a charade in order to get paid in full. Which is sad, really, but this episode in his career cannot compare to a decade's worth of steroid abusing, bat corking, sham charities, faux humility, and Jesus Christ-comparing that the Shaminator has pulled off.

So please, a little perspective.Absolutely. Maggs is totally screwed for signing with Borass and it's sad, despite his despicable behavior. Sham-ME on the other hand, is the most disgusting piece of filth to ever enter an athletic arena. He is the Moronotti of Players.

johnnyg83
04-22-2005, 12:50 AM
I have no doubt in my mind he'll get the booed severely at his first USCF appearance -- if he ever makes one.

I wonder what would happen if Detroit had played @ Wrigley this year though.

FarWestChicago
04-22-2005, 12:51 AM
Just when we're putting together a nice little winning streak something like this has to happen and distract everybody. Hopefully crede, garland, and all the other dudes stay focused.Who is distracted? This is totally laughable. :D:

beckett21
04-22-2005, 12:53 AM

:yup:

Looks like the Sox knew what they were doing on this one.

cheeses_h_rice
04-22-2005, 12:54 AM

*whistling idly*

Good thing I never wrote anything like that!

hose
04-22-2005, 01:15 AM
I would like to see Ozzie start taking the high road and not comment on Maggs from here on in, it's over.

Guillen doesn't need these petty distractions with Ordonez or the media for that matter.

Viva Medias B's
04-22-2005, 01:17 AM
I would like to see Ozzie start taking the high road and not comment on Maggs from here on in, it's over.

Guillen doesn't need these petty distractions with Ordonez or the media for that matter.

You're probably right, but who doesn't enjoy a good old fashioned p***ing match.

GiveMeSox
04-22-2005, 02:04 AM
Wow greed, pure greed. Maggs is so gracious now he cant take any advice from his skipper and elder. I am just speachless. Everytime Maggs opens his mouth he comes off more and more like the jerk and not like the classy low profile guy we thought he was.

Shorty1983
04-22-2005, 02:09 AM
Ozzie went awol ballistic!

But he really needs to be careful with his wording. "He knows I can [bleep] him a lot of different ways." In regards to Ordonez comments. :roflmao:

White_Sock
04-22-2005, 02:53 AM
Who's to say that Maggs wasn't a spoiled pri** when when he was with the Sox. He never really said much of anything. Hell he was one of my favorite players, but his true colors are showing. Does it seem funny to anyone else that we have reports of there being this great attitude in the clubhouse all of the sudden post-maggs. You can call it Everett, but he was with the team before and we didn't get this. The same can be said for Ozzie. Keep in mind this is just speculation, but one thing is for sure: Maggs is not the guy we thought he was even if a damn good ball player. Say it ain't so Maggs.:(:

jordan23ventura
04-22-2005, 03:08 AM

It's always the professional thing to just ignore the comments, but man, who doesn't love a good Ozzie quote?

In response to somethign someone posted earlier about the media looking to turn things around against the Sox, I think the media is going to eat this up. Ozzie's a genuinely nice guy who has a lot of fun and speaks his mind whenever he sees fit. Translation: they love this guy.

white sox bill
04-22-2005, 07:14 AM
I think they BOTH need to shut the hell up and act thier age not thier shoe size!

Maximo
04-22-2005, 08:05 AM
This is truly a sad situation. Magglio is beginning to act like the "good guy" in the old days of professional wrestling who suddenly shows up to a match wearing a moustache, dressing up in a black cowboy hat, and taunting the fans as he enters the ring.

Where was some of this piss, vinegar, and anger when he played on the South Side? In those days he was so unquoteable, he made Harold Baines look like Mike North.

If he has that much passion inside himself, I would have liked to have seen a little more of it used in a positive way in the Sox clubhouse.

Enjoy Detroit, Maggs, and per Ozzie......."whatever the hell you're going to do with the rest of your life"

PaleHoseGeorge
04-22-2005, 08:40 AM
For the record, the Cubune is reporting this as the latest in a string of Ozzie eruptions. The top story on page 1 includes a prominent sidebar filled with "Ozzie's greatest hits." Naturally they included his beef about the biased reporting regarding Fairy Woods & D.L. Priors.

Maybe Ozzie will get back at Magglio for the "enemy" comment, but the Cubune editors wasted no time getting back at Ozzie, too.

Not that they're biased about this subject, of course...

Now we know what it takes for the Sox to get top-billing at the Cubune. It's as simple as giving the Cubune editors a chance to settle the score with Ozzie about biased reporting.

The Racehorse
04-22-2005, 08:42 AM
I feel like such a [bleep]head for once having "ˇViva Mágglio!" as my WSI handle.

Hey, I always wondered happened to ˇViva Mágglio! ... :cool:

BeerHandle
04-22-2005, 08:59 AM
If you ask me, I think Magglio's biggest enemy is Scott Borass. The difference between Maggs and I is that he doesn't know it, yet. I'm tired of listening to this drama queen whine about how terrible his life is. He's getting paid more money than he deserves just to wake up in the morning.

Did anyone read the article in the Southtown. Maggs met with a physician in Montreal, and this man could find no evidence of a hernia, yet he could not rule one out, either. Hmmm... :cool:

Jackpot!

JRIG
04-22-2005, 09:14 AM
For the record, the Cubune is reporting this as the latest in a string of Ozzie eruptions. The top story on page 1 includes a prominent sidebar filled with "Ozzie's greatest hits." Naturally they included his beef about the biased reporting regarding Fairy Woods & D.L. Priors.

Maybe Ozzie will get back at Magglio for the "enemy" comment, but the Cubune editors wasted no time getting back at Ozzie, too.

Now we know what it takes for the Sox to get top-billing at the Cubune. It's as simple as giving the Cubune editors a chance to settle the score with Ozzie about biased reporting.

Refresh my memory, but we haven't seen a "Dusty's Greatest Hits" from the Cubbune, have we? You know, the best of holy water, seeing Jews in delis, and how blacks are better suited for warm weather.

Hmmmm....

hose
04-22-2005, 09:50 AM

You mean the Cubune is going to take sides against Ozzie?

At least the Trib does it for monetary reasons while Marriotti does it out of pure spite.

"don't go to that hell hole of a park!! there is a broken beer bottle in the parking lot"

Dan H
04-22-2005, 10:11 AM
I was on Ordonez's side for a long time, but it's time for him to shut up. He is with another team, and he has his contract. He has little to whine about.

At the same time, this was one Guillen should have walked away from. Not saying anything would have put this to rest. He has already lashed out at Thomas, Lee, and Olivio. Time to cool the jets.

The Sox are 12-4. Be happy, at least for the moment and let bitter people stew. But it seems Ozzie is just as bitter as Ordonez.

Flight #24
04-22-2005, 10:18 AM
The Sox are 12-4. Be happy, at least for the moment and let bitter people stew. But it seems Ozzie is just as bitter as Ordonez.

That's unfair. Ozzie was personally attacked, he's not bitter about the past situation, just about the current attacks. Oz didnt say word 1 about Maggs until Maggs opened fire.

Palehose13
04-22-2005, 10:23 AM
The constant whining coming from Magglio about the Sox show me how much he really wanted to be a Tiger.

TommyJohn
04-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Am I the only one who keeps thinking of Al Pacino?

"You're nothing to me now. You're not a brother, you're not a friend. When you
see our mother, I want to know a day in advance so I won't be there."

"you broke my haht.....you broke my haht!"

Flight #24
04-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Anyone else see this blurb in the Southtown?

Ordonez apparently had hard feelings toward Guillen even before the latter was named manager. According to Guillen, word got back to him last season that Ordonez had told the Sox not to hire Guillen.

:o:

No wonder Ozzie's been a bit sensitive when Maggs spouts off. Maybe this is why Maggs seemed so out the door for most of last year and was completely nonresponsive to the Sox in negotiations. It's odd, becuase everything I'd heard until this point was that Ozzie was always pushing the org to bring Maggs up and supporting him.

Fungo
04-22-2005, 10:35 AM
I was on Ordonez's side for a long time, but it's time for him to shut up. He is with another team, and he has his contract. He has little to whine about.

At the same time, this was one Guillen should have walked away from. Not saying anything would have put this to rest. He has already lashed out at Thomas, Lee, and Olivio. Time to cool the jets.

Exactly. Ozzie should have took the high road and just let it be. Ozzie just feels the need to comment on everything.

JoseCanseco6969
04-22-2005, 10:41 AM

I despise sucklio more than shammy. And # 30 was my favorite player for the last few years. I Cant wait for him to blow this contract and have to retire from baseball. Eat **** Maggs!!!

JoseCanseco6969
04-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Exactly. Ozzie should have took the high road and just let it be. Ozzie just feels the need to comment on everything.

Thats just the Ozz man's personality. If someone says something about him, he cant help himself but respond.

voodoochile
04-22-2005, 10:47 AM

Well, maybe this one needs to be commented on. I mean when an ex-player comes out in the national media and tears you up calling you an enemy (for cripes sake) you need to say something.

I have thought for a few years that Maggs was turning into a hotdog. I disagree with Cheeses to some extent. I think Maggs did showboat. He watched balls when he hit them and he used to run around easy flyballs so he could do the slide catch (happened a few times a month at least, IMO). The guy always struck me as having a big ego - though at the time I thought it was deserved because he backed it up with solid all around play and an amazing bat. Now he is just another rich overpaid jock with a bum leg who is trying to milk the sport for as much money as he can before being forced into retirement.

I think Ozzie sends a good message to the team too... No fight too small. Stand up for yourselves and for your teammates. Win or die trying...

spawn
04-22-2005, 10:53 AM
That's easy to say when you're not in that situation. Ozzie got called out. He needed to respond. And I liked the manner in which he responded. I thought Ordonez was mad at KW? Now he's only mad at Ozzie? Who's next? Is he gonna come out against Frank next? Magglio just needs to shut the hell up.

MushMouth
04-22-2005, 10:59 AM
I started laughing out loud when I read this on the train this morning. People looked at me like I was crazy, but this was outstanding and pretty shocking. Wow.

Sounded like a bit from the Godfather.

SALUKIS15
04-22-2005, 11:02 AM
''He's a piece of [bleep],'' Guillen said. ''He's another Venezuelan [bleep]. [Bleep] him. He thinks he's got an enemy? No, he's got a big one. He knows I can [bleep] him over in a lot of different ways.

- Gotta love Ozzie's colorful use of the english language. Screw Maggs!!!

rdwj
04-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Personally, I like a manager who doesn't mind going off when provoked. Maggs has proven to be a bitter moron and I have no problem with Ozzie ripping him a new one.

Maggs is the one that needs to stop - he's making himself look like a bigger fool every day. I can't wait to boo him if he ever manages to get back on the field.

Maximo
04-22-2005, 11:09 AM
I think it's becoming very apparent that as long as Ozzie is the Sox manager, the attention grabbing headlines will belong to him. We'd better get used to the idea that 'superstar' ball players who have a bit of an ego will not be welcome on the Southside unless they're willing to put the team first. Unfortunately, even if we could afford them, this may keep some future good ball players from taking a look at the Sox when they become free agents.

As long as Ozzie is manager and has the support of the front office, the kind of club we see now will be the kind of club we'll always see. Some guys who'll get their shirt dirty.....a couple of cast-offs.....workhorse type pitchers.....sprinkled
in with a young guy or two. Occasionally, we'll be able to acquire a helluva everyday player who can do several things well, but will do whatever it takes to beat you........George Brett/Paul Molitor type.

But it's looking as if Ozzie and superstars with egos just won't fit in the same locker room.

cubhater
04-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Isn't it sad the way that this Maggs situation has turned out? Here was a good ballplayer that we rooted for, an All-star outfielder, a good guy ( so it seemed) and look what money has done to him. If you would have told me a year ago that it would have turned so bitter, I never would have believed it.

The whole situation reminds me of pro wrestling where a fan favorite turns into a hated guy overnight and vice versa. Do EVERYONE a favor Ordonez and just shut your trap before you look like a bigger jerk.

TommyJohn
04-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Ozzie seems intent on reviving the Eddie Stanky era....

Jerko
04-22-2005, 11:17 AM
The whole situation reminds me of pro wrestling where a fan favorite turns into a hated guy overnight and vice versa. Do EVERYONE a favor Ordonez and just shut your trap before you look like a bigger jerk.

I agree. "Hulk" Ordonez is now "Hollywood" Ordonez.

Frank the Tank
04-22-2005, 11:24 AM
A year ago I would never believe Maggs would be capable of this. Maybe he was just the victim of really bad advice from the wrong people. He wanted ARod money and wound up getting "munsoned" like Nomar. I think his media circus acts against the sox, KW, Ozzie, etc... are out of frustration. His almost pathetic whining about the Sox leads me to believe that deep down inside he wishes he was still here. If he really hated the Sox and wanted to leave, we would never hear from him. He must be really depressed being a member of the Tigers. Hopefully we can put the icing on the cake by winning the WS this year.

cheeses_h_rice
04-22-2005, 11:27 AM
I have thought for a few years that Maggs was turning into a hotdog. I disagree with Cheeses to some extent. I think Maggs did showboat. He watched balls when he hit them and he used to run around easy flyballs so he could do the slide catch (happened a few times a month at least, IMO). The guy always struck me as having a big ego - though at the time I thought it was deserved because he backed it up with solid all around play and an amazing bat.

Interesting. I guess I never really saw his outfield defensive approach as being purposely flashy, nor did I think he pulled crap like Carlos Lee admiring his moon shots. To me, the first sense of Magglio developing a big ego was when he came out with his own line of sportswear over the 03/04 offseason. Before that, it seemed to me that Maggs was never comfortable with the spotlight very much.

Mickster
04-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Interesting. I guess I never really saw his outfield defensive approach as being purposely flashy, nor did I think he pulled crap like Carlos Lee admiring his moon shots. To me, the first sense of Magglio developing a big ego was when he came out with his own line of sportswear over the 03/04 offseason. Before that, it seemed to me that Maggs was never comfortable with the spotlight very much.

Prior to the '03-04 season, Magglio spent the summer in Miami training with ARod. Suddenly he changes his agent to Scott Boras. A little ARod influence turning Magglio's head into mush???

Unregistered
04-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Maybe he was just the victim of really bad advice from the wrong people. He wanted ARod money and wound up getting "munsoned" like Nomar.He must be really depressed being a member of the Tigers... Bad advice? Munsoned? Depressed?!?

The man signed a $75 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT in the offseason!!!!!! I somehow doubt that he is ANY of the adjectives you've discribed. He's re-habbing and not healthy, and will most like pull an "Albert Belle" on a team that just signed him.

It sounds a lot more like Ordonez is getting away with murder than getting "really bad advice" from anyone. If you thought that he actually CARED who he plays for, that should have left your mind the minute he signed with Detroit.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2476
"I'd like to thank the... baseball team I just signed with for giving me this opportunity."

DrCrawdad
04-22-2005, 11:37 AM
'Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,' or so the old saying goes. I wonder if the real reason Magglio is mad is that in his heart he knows he made a bad decision and that it could very well cost him millions. Magglio ignored advice from Ozzie, advice that as it turns out was good advice.

That maybe a bitter pill for Magglio to swallow.

DrCrawdad
04-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Bad advice? Munsoned? Depressed?!?

The man signed a $75 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT in the offseason!!!!!! I somehow doubt that he is ANY of the adjectives you've discribed. He's re-habbing and not healthy, and will most like pull an "Albert Belle" on a team that just signed him.

It sounds a lot more like Ordonez is getting away with murder than getting "really bad advice" from anyone. If you thought that he actually CARED who he plays for, that should have left your mind the minute he signed with Detroit.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2476
"I'd like to thank the... baseball team I just signed with for giving me this opportunity."

That contract has the potential to be a $75 million deal. Magglio has missed about 10 games already. So, if he misses 15 more than I believe that $75 million dollar contract suddenly becomes a one year $12 million dollar deal.

Fungo
04-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Well, maybe this one needs to be commented on. I mean when an ex-player comes out in the national media and tears you up calling you an enemy (for cripes sake) you need to say something.

I have thought for a few years that Maggs was turning into a hotdog. I disagree with Cheeses to some extent. I think Maggs did showboat. He watched balls when he hit them and he used to run around easy flyballs so he could do the slide catch (happened a few times a month at least, IMO). The guy always struck me as having a big ego - though at the time I thought it was deserved because he backed it up with solid all around play and an amazing bat. Now he is just another rich overpaid jock with a bum leg who is trying to milk the sport for as much money as he can before being forced into retirement.

I think Ozzie sends a good message to the team too... No fight too small. Stand up for yourselves and for your teammates. Win or die trying...

That's easy to say when you're not in that situation. Ozzie got called out. He needed to respond. And I liked the manner in which he responded. I thought Ordonez was mad at KW? Now he's only mad at Ozzie? Who's next? Is he gonna come out against Frank next? Magglio just needs to shut the hell up.

I agree, Ordońez does need to shut up. But he is on another team now so I could care less how big of an ass he wants to make himself look like by opening his mouth. I understand your points about Ozzie defending himself, but not being an Ozzie fan in general, I'm just tired of him throwing his 2˘. Ozzie's retaliation just stirs the pot and I think his comments were a bit overboard. What's he gonna do, tie a cinder block to Ordońez's bum leg and toss him into Lake Michigan? Off-him somehow? Give me a break Ozzie, your Venezuelan mafia attitude is laughable.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-22-2005, 11:43 AM
That contract has the potential to be a $75 million deal. Magglio has missed about 10 games already. So, if he misses 15 more than I believe that $75 million dollar contract suddenly becomes a one year $12 million dollar deal.

No. The 25 DL games must be specific to the knee ailment.

Magglio is falling apart... headaches, dizziness, viral infections, hernias, diarrhea of the mouth... but his knee is just fine.

Flight #24
04-22-2005, 11:43 AM

None of this DL time counts towards the 25 games because it's not knee-related (at least not officially). There are rumors of another clause that voids the deal if he ends the season on the DL, but unconfirmed if that's true or whether that DL stint also needs to be knee-related or not.

Regardless, IMO Maggs IS experiencing knee problems, is doing his darndest to hide them, and is realizing that it's going to be mighty tough to keep this up for a whole season. He's lashing out because every time he closes his eyes, all he can see is ON2's "flushed $$$" pic.

Unregistered
04-22-2005, 11:44 AM
That contract has the potential to be a $75 million deal. Magglio has missed about 10 games already. So, if he misses 15 more than I believe that $75 million dollar contract suddenly becomes a one year $12 million dollar deal. Ah, but there's the catch!
The contract is only voided if he misses that time because of his KNEE. So he can go on the DL for the rest of the season with MENSTRUAL CRAMPS and still collect.

Maximo
04-22-2005, 11:45 AM
'Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,' or so the old saying goes. I wonder if the real reason Magglio is mad is that in his heart he knows he made a bad decision and that it could very well cost him millions. Magglio ignored advice from Ozzie, advice that as it turns out was good advice.

I am inclined to agree.....he's pouting and acting like a child. He was adored by Sox fans and could have occupied a spot in their hearts forever, if he had played it right. Instead, he is wrapped up in self-pity, looking to assign blame, and quickly alienating everyone who use to look up to him as a hero.

LVSoxFan
04-22-2005, 11:48 AM
The fact that Ozzie reacted so viscerally tells me that Ordonez is full of ****. For an outburst like that to happen, Ozzie must feel really betrayed by Magglio's comments.

I don't mind Ozzie's trash talking and fiery temper--if that's what it takes to get this club to the series, then so be it. Looks like we've got our own South Side Billy Martin! LOL. I'll take it!

Compared to, say, the Rev. Dusty Baker or Jerry "Snoozefest" Manuel...

DrCrawdad
04-22-2005, 11:53 AM

Neither of those deals, however, were worth as much or as long as this one. Ordonez will earn $75 million over five years -- part of it deferred after the first two seasons -- and as much as $105 million with options. On the other end, the contract includes an injury clause that would allow the Tigers to void the remaining years and recoup a $6 million signing bonus should Ordonez miss more than 25 days to the disabled list this season with specific left knee problems similar to what he suffered last season.

In other words, the Tigers would only be obligated to pay Ordonez's 2005 salary. It was a non-negotiable issue which Boras and the Tigers made workable.

"As long as he's healthy," Tigers vice president and chief legal counsel John Westhoff put it, "we wanted to make a commitment."

Ordonez was limited to 52 games and 202 at-bats last year due to two meniscus tears in his left knee, one of which wasn't discovered until later in the season when he visited a doctor in Austria. That doctor also took care of a condition known as bone marrow edema in the same area, related to a larger issue called osteochondtritis.

Sounds like I was a bit off. The voiding of the multi-year guarantees is contingent on it being related to his injury from last year. No doubt the Tigers want to be sure that this current injury is actually unrelated to last years injury.

Baby Fisk
04-22-2005, 11:55 AM

:rolling:

Palehose13
04-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Ah, but there's the catch!
The contract is only voided if he misses that time because of his KNEE. So he can go on the DL for the rest of the season with MENSTRUAL CRAMPS and still collect.

:roflmao:

Flight #24
04-22-2005, 11:59 AM

Seems Maggs may have developd Brain Matter Edema......

"Uh yeah - check me for that, anything but the knee"

Elvisfan1977
04-22-2005, 12:00 PM
I think Maggs was juicin'. These injuries/ailments are sporadic and don't make sense. His career is coming to a grinding hault, and it's of his own demise. Ozzie's comments were funny and somewhat justified. However, I think he needs to tone it down a little and focus on winning games. IMHO.

anewman35
04-22-2005, 12:00 PM

Magglio is falling apart... headaches, dizziness, viral infections, hernias, diarrhea of the mouth... but his knee is just fine.

It really is a genius plan - stay hurt the whole season for OTHER reasons, so he'll never get a chance to hurt the knee, and his contract will not be voided.

Ol' No. 2
04-22-2005, 12:07 PM
It really is a genius plan - stay hurt the whole season for OTHER reasons, so he'll never get a chance to hurt the knee, and his contract will not be voided.Somehow, I doubt the Tigers are just going to bend over on this one. There's a lot more chapters to come on this story. Should be very entertaining.

MINFAN1
04-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Ozzie jabbers a lot. This is picked up by those sportswriters/reporters mainley tribune, who just love to feast on these situations. Baker/Sosa, Ozzie/Thomas/Maggs they just don`t quit until its something thats got out of hand. He needs to take the Scott Skiles approach to these situations. A cold hard stare, and we are in the business of winning at baseball, not soap operas.

MushMouth
04-22-2005, 12:21 PM
I think Maggs was juicin'. These injuries/ailments are sporadic and don't make sense. His career is coming to a grinding hault, and it's of his own demise. Ozzie's comments were funny and somewhat justified. However, I think he needs to tone it down a little and focus on winning games. IMHO.

Hadn't really considered that, tho he does have that facial tic that Conseco had too :wink:

Baby Fisk
04-22-2005, 12:23 PM
"This tomato is my enemy. I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!"

:tomatoaward

Hangar18
04-22-2005, 12:26 PM

This is exactly what it is. His biggest mistake was getting that new
agent, Scott Bora$ as his agent. Magglio deep down wanted to stay
here, but the $$$$ got in the way. Too bad. Just think of the
daily injury updates had he signed with the Evil Corporation 8 miles north.
Whew, that was close

hdog1017
04-22-2005, 12:27 PM
Magg$ should stick a baseball in his blowhole. I wonder if he has to wear one of those ass doughnuts for his hernia.

Palehose13
04-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Somehow, I doubt the Tigers are just going to bend over on this one. There's a lot more chapters to come on this story. Should be very entertaining.

I agree. I can't see them standing pat much longer. Especially when the "hernia" can't be diagosed...or ruled out either.

Unregistered
04-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Whew, that was closeHangar, don't fool yourself into thinking Magglio gave a **** about the White Sox or Chicago. He played along with the "I'd love to stay in Chicago" line when it looked like the Cubs were going to make an offer, but the truth is that he has no loyalty to anyone or anything except for the almighty $.

BTW, call me naive, but I think someone that genuinely wants to stay in Chicago is Frank Thomas, and I fear that it won't be long before he's run out of town and plays his last years in a Rangers or Angels uniform or something.

AZChiSoxFan
04-22-2005, 12:34 PM
The constant whining coming from Magglio about the Sox show me how much he really wanted to be a Tiger.

Great point. If I was a Tiger fan, I would be mad about how much time Ordonez spends thinking and talking about the Sox.

voodoochile
04-22-2005, 12:35 PM

It was something I started to notice over the last two years with the Sox (when he was healthy). He was swinging for the fences early in 02 and 03 before finally deciding to go the other way a bit. The slide catch started to become too common for plays that didn't need it. He wasn't flamboyant like ShamME*, but the changes in the way he approached the game seemed obvious to me - even more so because he didn't strike me as that kind of a guy originally.

I think he's pretty scared that he screwed up at present and knows that every time he pulls out another injury excuse, the rumors get bigger that he is done and that he is lying through his teeth.

What the heck, if they are talking about Ozzie, they won't be focusing on his herniated knee. Great person to start a fight with too. I mean Ozzie isn't going to take it lying down and suddenly no one is talking about Magglio's injuries are they?

cheeses_h_rice
04-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Does anyone suspect that Maggs is just trying to bide time now waiting for his knee/leg to get better? If he's hurt for good, it seems to me that he's just postponing the inevitable, and it will come out that his leg is bum, whereas if he thinks he just needs another month or two to get healthy, coming up with this litany of mystery illnesses sounds like the best way to stave off the hounds.

Flight #24
04-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Does anyone suspect that Maggs is just trying to bide time now waiting for his knee/leg to get better? If he's hurt for good, it seems to me that he's just postponing the inevitable, and it will come out that his leg is bum, whereas if he thinks he just needs another month or two to get healthy, coming up with this litany of mystery illnesses sounds like the best way to stave off the hounds.

JMO, but I think he's hoping things get better enough that he can play some. Much like how after about 6 months of rest & rehab, he was able to participate in ST but now is hurt (IMO the knee's acting up). If he can hang on with some weird, undiagnosable injury for 6 weeks or so, maybe he can play for a couple weeks to "show everyone the knee is fine". Then he'll end up getting hurt again. Watch for back spasms, a pulled hammy, and/or anything else that's primarily diagnosed by the patient's description of where & how it hurts.

And even if he knew he was hurt for good, admitting it then wouldve' gotten him zero. At least now he gets his $6mil, and if he can somehow get through the season, he's set.

AZChiSoxFan
04-22-2005, 12:40 PM
Ah, but there's the catch!

:)

PatK
04-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Some people are a little peeved at Ozzie for sniping back AFTER being called out by Magglio.

But had Ozzie not responded to Maggs, I can only imagine the headlines in the Cubune.

Sox Girlyman Manager takes beating from Cripple

Magglio puts Ozzie in Place

Elvisfan1977
04-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Has anyone looked at what Detroit's fans are saying about this war of words? I don't have the link, but I'm interested to see what kind of support he's getting from his own fans. Someone had link on another thread last week Friday. Just curious.

gosox41
04-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Whew, that was close

More like ego got in the way. Magglo was offered guaranteed money of anyqhere between $65-70 mill. The Tigers contract is a joke because there was little doubt that Magglio will miss time in 2005. THe question is more legal now in that what is really hurt other then his ego and his knee.

Bob

Baby Fisk
04-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Has anyone looked at what Detroit's fans are saying about this war of words? I don't have the link, but I'm interested to see what kind of support he's getting from his own fans. Someone had link on another thread last week Friday. Just curious.
Tiger fans muttering about Ordońez: linky #1 (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26807) linky #2 (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=26813)

Flight #24
04-22-2005, 01:27 PM
Tiger fans muttering about Ordońez: linky #1 (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26807) linky #2 (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=26813)

And they're already talking about how to get out of the contract: linky#3 (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=432580#post432580)

FWIW - they report that the contract can be voided with 25 days on the DL or if he finishes the season on the DL - both knee-related only.

Palehose13
04-22-2005, 01:34 PM
I found this to be interesting:

In spring training on those occasions that Maggs was signing autographs, he refused to sign anything that showed him as a white sox.

Wow...he is acting like a little bitch that got dumped. Oh nevermind..I guess he did. :wink:

Unregistered
04-22-2005, 01:36 PM
Wow, I didn't know this one - check out what I found on the Tigers board:

In spring training on those occasions that Maggs was signing autographs, he refused to sign anything that showed him as a White Sox.

EDIT: Palehose13 beat me by seconds!

hawkjt
04-22-2005, 01:37 PM
I do think it is sad as I was a huge maggs fan and he seemed so classy that I would never imagine that he could turn the sox fan base against him so much that it will be ugly when he does come to soxpark in the future.

I also wish Oz would start being the grown-up and manager-like in these instances. He has to corral those loose lips. I agree that at this rate he will alienate half the league.

I do wonder what the implied threat that Oz laid out there on Maggs really is about. Does he have info on magg's training regimen? Unfortunately I have to lump maggs into the suspicious group along with giambi,nomar,bonds,Irod,ect due to either strange injuries,big weight loss or rumors from canseco.

they all have one or more of the above.

JoseCanseco6969
04-22-2005, 01:39 PM
''He's a piece of [bleep],'' Guillen said. ''He's another Venezuelan [bleep]. [Bleep] him. He thinks he's got an enemy? No, he's got a big one. He knows I can [bleep] him over in a lot of different ways.

- Gotta love Ozzie's colorful use of the english language. Screw Maggs!!!

I wonder if there is an audio clip of these statements online...preferably unedited:D:

Elvisfan1977
04-22-2005, 01:41 PM
I wonder if there is an audio clip of these statements online...preferably unedited:D:

That would be classic!

santo=dorf
04-22-2005, 01:47 PM
I agree. "Hulk" Ordonez is now "Hollywood" Ordonez.

So does that make Scott Borass Eric Bischoff? :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
04-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Wow...he is acting like a little bitch that got dumped. Oh nevermind..I guess he did.

On a related note, I remember quite a few posters last winter behaving like jilted lovers because Magglio signed with Detroit. I remember making quite a few jokes about "tears on the pillow for Magglio." Good times...
:cheers:

To hear some of their rhetoric at the time, a mushroom cloud should have risen over Sox Park by now for the negative fallout to befall the Sox over not signing Magglio. Well, well, well... funny how things turned out.

These people (most of them anyway) have either changed their minds or gone into seclusion. Maggs is batting nearly a perfect 1.000 for alienating every single defender he ever had on the South Side.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2005, 01:48 PM
A few comments:

Flight, that end of the season DL clause is now confirmed, it was reported again in the papers today (Southtown?) among others.

Ozzie seemed very specific about his 'involvement' with Maggs naming Tom Reich and (I think it was the White Sox site) explaining that he spoke to Maggs while at a bar in Baltimore. I have to side with him on this one.

It's also interesting that Maggs says he had nothing against Ken Williams which as the Southtown pointed out, contradicted what he was saying a few months ago.

The stories also point out regarding deferred money, that Maggs apparently wasn't lying when he said part of it was defered, again I think it was the Southtown that stated as much as ten million. The question is how much for sure, and for how long.

It would be nice to have a tape of Ozzie's comments...it would rank right up there with Lee Elia's. (Les you don't by chance...)

As stated many times in the past as Bob (gosox41) can testify to, I stated that the Sox had no choice under their economic conditions, to let Maggs go since for whatever reason, they were not allowed to examine his knee. It was to much of a risk.

I also stated many times that this situation was embarassing and that the Sox didn't need to lower themselves into a war of words. In this respect Dan Helpingstein seems to have the same opinion.

I also stated that for the good of the franchise they need to find a way to make piece with Boras since he represents many of the top players in the game and it is self defeating, limiting yourself in talent acquisition because of personal hatred. This is a business remember and the name of the business is winning.

Lip

jdm2662
04-22-2005, 01:50 PM
Did you guys come to see WCW??!!

Or, or...

Did you come to see the NWO??!!

I think it's clear, one more for the good guys.

Sorry, had to...

Back to the topic on hand. It's time to move on. He's not on the Sox anymore and no longer our issue. I wish Gullien would do the same, but silence isn't his best trait...
________
Mazda 717c (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mazda_717C)

Flight #24
04-22-2005, 01:57 PM
A few comments:

Flight, that end of the season DL clause is now confirmed, it was reported again in the papers today (Southtown?) among others.

The stories also point out regarding deferred money, that Maggs apparently wasn't lying when he said part of it was defered, again I think it was the Southtown that stated as much as ten million. The question is how much for sure, and for how long.

I also stated that for the good of the franchise they need to find a way to make piece with Boras since he represents many of the top players in the game and it is self defeating, limiting yourself in talent acquisition because of personal hatred. This is a business remember and the name of the business is winning.

Lip

1 - I saw it confirmed that the "end season on the DL" also needs to be knee-related. If he ends the seaosn on the DL because of a mysterious hernia-like condition, the contract kicks in.

2 - There appear to have been 2 offers: a $70mil with deferrals and a $60-mil without. I've seen this in a couple of places now including quotes from JR

3 - As repeatedly stated by KW and JR, they deal with Boras, they just don't trust him and they feel that he overvalues his clients. The combination makes it difficult to strike a deal, but it's not like they don't/won't deal with him. I believe JR was even quoted as saying he didn't find him difficult to deal with "as long as you recognize he doesn't tell the truth", and that they put an internal value on a player and stick with it regardless of what Bora$$ says.

Palehose13
04-22-2005, 01:57 PM
On a related note, I remember quite a few posters last winter behaving like jilted lovers because Magglio signed with Detroit. I remember making quite a few jokes about "tears on the pillow for Magglio." Good times...

To hear some of their rhetoric at the time, a mushroom cloud should have risen over Sox Park by now for the negative fallout to befall the Sox over not signing Magglio. Well, well, well... funny how things turned out.

These people (most of them anyway) have either changed their minds or gone into seclusion. Maggs is batting nearly a perfect 1.000 for alienating every single defender he ever had on the South Side.

Ah yes...I remember those threads with very clever titles. I especially loved the ones before he signed with Detroit warning us that he would sign with the cubs. To every cub fan that told me in the offseason that the cub may sign Maggs, I said "Do it. He's damaged goods." I said it in person and I wrote it on this board. It would have been really fun if he was on the northside right now. :wink:

Fake Chet Lemon
04-22-2005, 02:05 PM
Whenever (if) Maggs come to town, when he comes to bat can we all chant OZ-ZIE, OZ-ZIE at the top of our lungs?

SOXSINCE'70
04-22-2005, 02:06 PM
The more "Gaggli-dough" flaps his gums,the more it sounds like
KW is a (bleeping) genius.:whiner: (Had to do it after reading the "mediots"
guys,sorry).Ozzie's the "ene-mic" now?? OK,smart guy. Never mind
the fact that Guillen pushed Former GM Ron Scheuler to call you up
to the bigs in 9/97.The true enemy is the person that looks back at
"Gaggli-dough" every time he looks in the mirror.:o:

It's time for everyone involved to stop acting like
Teri Hatcher and Nicolette Sheridan on any episode of
"Desperate Housewives" and please,do all Sox fans a favor;

JUST SHUT UP!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

JKryl
04-22-2005, 02:08 PM
It's really beginning to sound like sour grapes on the part of Mags. It must be killing him that the Sox are kicking butt without him. The only reason this is dragging on is because the media keeps trying to stir things up. If Ozzie would refuse to comment, it will die a natural death, at least until Mags actually plays a game against the Sox. Or should that be, ifhe plays a game against the Sox. Right now, that looks pretty doubtfull.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-22-2005, 02:10 PM
...... His almost pathetic whining about the Sox leads me to believe that deep down inside he wishes he was still here. If he really hated the Sox and wanted to leave, we would never hear from him. He must be really depressed being a member of the Tigers. Hopefully we can put the icing on the cake by winning the WS this year.

You know, that is brilliant dude. The guy who who WON'T STOP talking and ripping on his ex-girlfriend, usually wants her back.

SOXSINCE'70
04-22-2005, 02:11 PM
It's time to move on. He's not on the Sox anymore and no longer our issue. I wish Gullien would do the same, but silence isn't his best trait...

Tony Montana sits in the Sox dugout and you want him
to keep silent?? :rolleyes: Ozzie wasn't kidding when he said he'd
tell you what he was thinking whether you want to hear it
or not.:cool:

DannyCaterFan
04-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Sounds to me that Magg's is just very unhappy to have landed in Detroit. He probably wishes that he was still in Chicago. He most likely thought he would have better offers during the off-season, but ended up settling for what he could have made in Chicago, in Detroit. Just shut your mouth Magglio, and take what you deserve.

cheeses_h_rice
04-22-2005, 02:25 PM

In spring training on those occasions that Maggs was signing autographs, he refused to sign anything that showed him as a white sox.

OK, this has me stumped: what other things could Magglio sign with him on them that don't show him as a White Sox?

"Here, Magglio, would you sign this color Xerox of a screen shot I took of your press conference with the Tigers?"

:rolleyes:

DrCrawdad
04-22-2005, 02:26 PM
We need someone who's clever with Photoshop to drop Magglio's face in this painting of Benedict Arnold.

http://www.americanrevolution.com/TreasonofBenedictArnold.jpg
Benedict Arnold

With Magglio's face, it could be Benedict Maggliold.

Palehose13
04-22-2005, 02:27 PM
OK, this has me stumped: what other things could Magglio sign with him on them that don't show him as a White Sox?

"Here, Magglio, would you sign this color Xerox of a screen shot I took of your press conference with the Tigers?"

:rolleyes:

Yeah...I was thinking that also. I guess he signed a lot of ticket stubs and programs. Whoopee!!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
04-22-2005, 02:29 PM

Magglio would only sign his endorsement on the backside of his Tigers payroll checks.

"For Deposit only. One million 100 thousand and one."
"For Deposit only. One million 100 thousand and two."
"For Deposit only. One million 100 thousand..."

Unregistered
04-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Yeah...I was thinking that also. I guess he signed a lot of ticket stubs and programs. Whoopee!!!!And boobs. Magglio IS a rock star, after all... :cool:

Ol' No. 2
04-22-2005, 02:31 PM

These people (most of them anyway) have either changed their minds or gone into seclusion. Maggs is batting nearly a perfect 1.000 for alienating every single defender he ever had on the South Side.Speaking of batting, he's also perfect at the plate this year.:cool:

Uncle_Patrick
04-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Hangar, don't fool yourself into thinking Magglio gave a **** about the White Sox or Chicago. He played along with the "I'd love to stay in Chicago" line when it looked like the Cubs were going to make an offer, but the truth is that he has no loyalty to anyone or anything except for the almighty $.

I felt the same thing. It seemed to me, that Maggs had little interest in coming back to the Sox. I got the feeling right away that he was looking for a higher profile team. His "Love for Chicago" line always seemed like it was aimed towards the North Side to me. The only time he acted like he wanted to stay with the Sox was when it became apparent that no one was going to offer him the kind of big $$ contract he assumed he'd get. When it became clear that only the lowly Tigers were going to offer him anything, he started playing this "I've been jilted by the White Sox" bit.

surfdudes
04-22-2005, 02:46 PM
This has all the rumerations of an aformentioned Nomar G. going to the Cubs and doing the "sour grapes" routine with Boston, then being injured all the time while watching the the Bosox go on to win the world series..........

I sure hope Maggs is an indication of history repeating itself!

socko82
04-22-2005, 02:51 PM
As an added bonus we can look forward to the day when Bonderman, Maroth, and Ledezma are arbitration eligible and ready for their paydays and the Tigers can't afford them because they've sunk 25% of their payroll into a broken down outfielder. I guess they learned nothing from that Bobby Higginson contract.

Chisox003
04-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Maybe, just maybe, this kind of stuff was happening last year in the clubhouse and within the organization between Guillen and Mags, even after his injury...

Just speculation, but with C Lee and this bum gone, the look and feel of the Sox as a TEAM, and as a very good team at that (See: Carl Everett), maybe some of this B.S. was happening without any of us ever knowing....

Mags, we're 12-4, your team is brutal, and once again you have an injury, this time something doctors cant even find....STOP EMBARRASSING YOURSELF!!

DrCrawdad
04-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Maybe, just maybe, this kind of stuff was happening last year in the clubhouse and within the organization between Guillen and Mags, even after his injury...

Just speculation, but with C Lee and this bum gone, the look and feel of the Sox as a TEAM, and as a very good team at that (See: Carl Everett), maybe some of this B.S. was happening without any of us ever knowing....

Mags, we're 12-4, your team is brutal, and once again you have an injury, this time something doctors cant even find....STOP EMBARRASSING YOURSELF!!

Borass no doubt has gone thru the medical dictionary for conditions that are undiagnosable. Like when my sister was young she'd come home from school often with, "belly-aches," just so that she could get out of class. Had she said she had a fever, mom could have checked for it.

bennyw41
04-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Ozzie=Tony Montana.

WhiteSoxFan84
04-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Magglio is a dooshbag, I think most of us knew that even before this story broke.

I must admit I don't like all this negative press surrounding Ozzie Guillen while we're playing such great baseball. I'm not saying it's his fault, but it's there. First the Frank Thomas "bad attitude" fiasco and now this ongoing Maggli-Who soap opera. If this is brought up again, I hope Ozzie just simply says he has no idea who Magglio Ordonez is and makes no other mention of anything related to the gimp.

JoseCanseco6969
04-22-2005, 03:20 PM

ROTFLMFAO!!!

spongyfungy
04-22-2005, 03:26 PM
I need the audio of Ozzie blowing up.

Mickster
04-22-2005, 03:33 PM

Lip

IIRC the current CBA limits deferrals to 2 years after the contract is completed. I seem to remember at least 2 articles whereas Maggs was quoted as saying that JR was offering deferred money extending some "20 years" from now. At that point, I knew that Maggs was full of BS. I'll take JR's word that he offered Maggs a $60M all cash offer as he has stated so publically and neither Maggs nor his "camp" has refuted this. Any deferrals would have had to be paid, with interest, within 2 years of the contract end. Doesn't seem so bad to me.

JoseCanseco6969
04-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Whenever (if) Maggs come to town, when he comes to bat can we all chant OZ-ZIE, OZ-ZIE at the top of our lungs?

Great idea! That would really get under his skin better than constant boos. But I plan on doing both! Maybe we'll see him in Chicago in September, but who knows? Maybe maggs will break a nail and go on the DL once again.

JoseCanseco6969
04-22-2005, 03:39 PM
I felt the same thing. It seemed to me, that Maggs had little interest in coming back to the Sox. I got the feeling right away that he was looking for a higher profile team. His "Love for Chicago" line always seemed like it was aimed towards the North Side to me. The only time he acted like he wanted to stay with the Sox was when it became apparent that no one was going to offer him the kind of big $$ contract he assumed he'd get. When it became clear that only the lowly Tigers were going to offer him anything, he started playing this "I've been jilted by the White Sox" bit.

Because he knows that if he produced at the Urinal...ESPN and the whole media worldwide would praise him as the second coming of Sosa and adore him. Well too bad Maggs!

seanpmurphy
04-22-2005, 03:44 PM

I agree completely. The Sox are playing great and Ozzie is a great manager. Nobody needs to be distracted with yesterday's garbage. When they play the Tigers and if Magglio is in the lineup, the Sox and Ozzie need to just come out and play it like any other game.

Ol' No. 2
04-22-2005, 03:57 PM
IIRC the current CBA limits deferrals to 2 years after the contract is completed. I seem to remember at least 2 articles whereas Maggs was quoted as saying that JR was offering deferred money extending some "20 years" from now. At that point, I knew that Maggs was full of BS. I'll take JR's word that he offered Maggs a $60M all cash offer as he has stated so publically and neither Maggs nor his "camp" has refuted this. Any deferrals would have had to be paid, with interest, within 2 years of the contract end. Doesn't seem so bad to me.Actually, it's 2 years from the year it's earned, so that's even less time. There were multiple offers made at different times. JR and KW have both said that there was an all-cash deal offered. The offer was still on the table AFTER the injury, and Ordonez turned it down. He gambled and lost and now he's desperately trying to hoodwink the Tigers into paying off on his contract. Unless the Tigers brass are complete morons, they're not going to fall for this.

Flight #24
04-22-2005, 04:11 PM
The saga continues. Apparently they've got some NEW audio from Ozzie on Maggs, going to be played on AM1000 shortly.

jabrch
04-22-2005, 04:33 PM
He turned down all-cash deals.

He turned down 2 year deferred deals.

He turned down deals that would have made him very wealthy.

He turned down several different deals that were within 15% NPV of the deal he took with Detroit.

He turned down guaranteed deals without conditions.

He had no interest in staying in Chicago. If he wanted to stay here, he'd have found a way to make it happen.

And given his productivity so far, and the things this team has been able to do with the 12+mm that he would have made, I am thrilled to death that GreedyO is a Tiger.

MRKARNO
04-22-2005, 05:09 PM
Everyone kept talking about how Ozzie and Frank couldn't coexist, but if they now we know what happens when Ozzie really doesnt like someone and Frank did not get this treatment. The Ozzie-Magglio feud has already gone way beyond anything that the media might have been expecting between Frank and Ozzie.

Viva Medias B's
04-22-2005, 05:50 PM
The ESPN 1000 thing was a fake press conference with audio clips of Al Pacino as "Tony Montana" in Scarface.

Knockoutinthepar
04-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Bet you anything Ozzie saw Ordonez cheat on his wife.

Viva Medias B's
04-22-2005, 06:03 PM
Just for the fun of it, can anyone imagine Jerry Manuel or Dick Jauron going off like Ozzie?

StuForumStuCazzo
04-22-2005, 06:23 PM
I think this just shows us that we don't know the half of the situation or what's going on behind the scenes, so I'm not jumping to any conlcusions or taking any sides

mikef1331
04-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Maggs needs to stop complaining and whining about everything and just get on with his life. I used to like Maggs, but now, for all I care, he can sit in Detroit and rot.

nasox
04-22-2005, 06:41 PM
I think this just shows us that we don't know the half of the situation or what's going on behind the scenes, so I'm not jumping to any conlcusions or taking any sides

You are new here, so you can think clearly. Give us a few weeks, and that unbridled intelligent reasoning of yours will be gone. :bandance:

BeerHandle
04-22-2005, 09:36 PM
OOOOOOOH-EEEEE-OOOOOOOH............GLAD TO SEE YOU GO!

How is Boras and his shady business.

FarWestChicago
04-22-2005, 09:48 PM

These people (most of them anyway) have either changed their minds or gone into seclusion. Maggs is batting nearly a perfect 1.000 for alienating every single defender he ever had on the South Side.Oh yes, and they were led by Lip. It's time for him to 'fess up about how wrong he was about Magglio and his beloved Borass. :rolleyes:

FarWestChicago
04-22-2005, 09:50 PM
A few comments:

Ozzie seemed very specific about his 'involvement' with Maggs naming Tom Reich and (I think it was the White Sox site) explaining that he spoke to Maggs while at a bar in Baltimore. I have to side with him on this one.

It's also interesting that Maggs says he had nothing against Ken Williams which as the Southtown pointed out, contradicted what he was saying a few months ago.

It would be nice to have a tape of Ozzie's comments...it would rank right up there with Lee Elia's. (Les you don't by chance...)

As stated many times in the past as Bob (gosox41) can testify to, I stated that the Sox had no choice under their economic conditions, to let Maggs go since for whatever reason, they were not allowed to examine his knee. It was to much of a risk.

I also stated many times that this situation was embarassing and that the Sox didn't need to lower themselves into a war of words. In this respect Dan Helpingstein seems to have the same opinion.

LipGive it a rest, Lip. Your beloved Maggs and Borass are total scum. Continue to love Borass more than the Sox, it will get you a long way. :rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
04-22-2005, 11:28 PM
West:

I was not in the camp that said they have to sign Maggs at all costs. Ask gosox 41. After I posted that under the circumstances they couldn't take that risk because they don't have the payroll to make up for it if they were wrong, he posted back and said that at least we agreed on something.

If you are going to rip me sarcastically at least do it for something I did.

Borass does what he's being paid to do... get his clients the best offer regardless of how he has to do it. He's the best in his profession, his bank account shows it. I respect excellence.

Lip

FarWestChicago
04-22-2005, 11:35 PM
West:

I was not in the camp that said they have to sign Maggs at all costs. Ask gosox 41. After I posted that under the circumstances they couldn't take that risk because they don't have the payroll to make up for it if they were wrong, he posted back and said that at least we agreed on something.

If you are going to rip me sarcastically at least do it for something I did.

Borass does what he's being paid to do... get his clients the best offer regardless of how he has to do it. He's the best in his profession, his bank account shows it. I respect excellence.

LipOh **** off, Lip. You would marry Borrass if he would have you. You have aligned with the devil one too many times and you are exposed. Live with it. BTW, you have started this new thing where you defend your love of assclowns because they make a bunch of money. Guess what, I make more than all but the very tip of your beloved jerk tree. And I have principles and honor. Shut the **** up you piece of ****ing money grubbing crap!! **** your loser compatriots and the companies that pay them for being *******s.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2005, 11:48 PM
West:

If you weren't a moderator I'd tell you what I think of your cracks. But I can't so I'll end this discussion.

From the bottom of the main page of the forums:

Moderators 10:
CLR01, Far West Chicago, Daver, Jjav829, PaleHoseGeorge,voodoochile,whitesoxwilkes,Winning Ugly,JRIG,doublem23

Lip

FarWestChicago
04-22-2005, 11:54 PM
West:

If you weren't a moderator I'd tell you what I think of your cracks. But I can't so I'll end this discussion.

LipI'm not a moderator, Lip. I own the server and the web hosting company. Oh yes, success I earned by my skills and hard work, not sucking up to some media conglomerate or your Borass. I can look in a mirror and support my family. How many of your "buddies" can say that?

slavko
04-23-2005, 01:33 AM
Ozziemouth. It's contagious.

Deadguy
04-23-2005, 07:27 AM

Magglio refused to sign anything White Sox related during Spring Training.

Wow...he is acting like a little bitch that got dumped. Oh nevermind..I guess he did. :wink:

Perhaps he learned this from Albert Belle, who refused to sign anything Indians related after he became a White Sox.

Didn't care when Magglio left for the money, and certainly don't care now. We're talking about a guy who never finished higher than 8th in the MVP voting in any given year. This means he was never viewed as being higher than the 8th most valuable player in the league, even during the best of times. Why he felt he deserved Vladimir Guerrero type of money is something I will never understand.

I literally laughed out loud when I read in the papers that Magglio wanted to stay in Chicago, above all things, last June. Some people here actually took that PR garbage to heart, but it wasn't hard to read between the lies.

hose
04-23-2005, 08:34 AM
This is from the a Detroit paper and I wanted to have it here at WSI so when a drill rod like the Moron twist the truth around at least their will be a record of it.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/tigers/0504/23/tigs-159055.htm

elrod
04-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Anybody speak Spanish? If so, what are the Venezuelan newspapers saying about it? I'm sure they're talking about it because they're obsessed with baseball.

harwar
04-23-2005, 08:50 AM
Ozzie is like a god down there.

SOXSINCE'70
04-23-2005, 08:51 AM
This is from the a Detroit paper and I wanted to have it here at WSI so when a drill rod like the Moron twist the truth around at least their will be a record of it.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/tigers/0504/23/tigs-159055.htm

[post deleted by moderator for reasons you know too well]

hose
04-23-2005, 09:03 AM
Ozzie wants his team to play smart ball, well he better play smart ball with the press. The real snakes are going to come out from under their rocks and try to get Ozzie to go off on them the writers.

I predict the Moron will keep making nasty articles till Ozzie bites, then the Moron will ride it into the ground.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-23-2005, 09:13 AM
Ozzie wants his team to play smart ball, well he better play smart ball with the press. The real snakes are going to come out from under their rocks and try to get Ozzie to go off on them the writers.

I predict the Moron will keep making nasty articles till Ozzie bites, then the Moron will ride it into the ground.

I would like to think Ozzie is such a master psychologcal tactician, he lashed out at Maggs because he knew the resulting headlines would keep his team's extraordinary W-L record under wraps and prevent his players from feeling too much pressure to keep performing at peak level.

For more reasons than I care to share here, I don't believe Ozzie is a master psychological tactician at all.

The team keeps winning and Ozzie can take his share of the credit. If they start losing, it is stuff like his "loser mentality" and "**** you, Maggs" tirades that everyone will blame on him.

hose
04-23-2005, 09:29 AM
I would like to think Ozzie is such a master psychologcal tactician, he lashed out at Maggs because he knew the resulting headlines would keep his team's extraordinary W-L record under wraps and prevent his players from feeling too much pressure to keep performing at peak level.

For more reasons than I care to share here, I don't believe Ozzie is a master psychological tactician at all.

The team keeps winning and Ozzie can take his share of the credit. If they start losing, it is stuff like his "loser mentality" and "**** you, Maggs" tirades that everyone will blame on him.

The same writer that ran to Ozzie to tell him what Maggs said about him isn't going to stop trying to get an emotional outburst. Add in the Moron telling Chippendale stories and I see the media really getting vicious.

George I think Ozzie needs to lay low, keep a professional approach to the media and let the team get the headlines for a while.

Viva Medias B's
04-23-2005, 09:41 AM
Moron reference....Roadhouse?

fquaye149
04-23-2005, 10:00 AM

No, Ozzie is not a psychological tactician. He is just

a.) a candid guy
b.) a poor speaker of english
c.) unfortunate enough to be in a market that really wants to make him look bad, especially while his team is winning

edit: having said all that, this situation seems to be amusing to the sox (see trib article) Maybe PHG's wishful thinking is true

Ol' No. 2
04-23-2005, 10:19 AM
No, Ozzie is not a psychological tactician. He is just

a.) a candid guy
b.) a poor speaker of english
c.) unfortunate enough to be in a market that really wants to make him look bad, especially while his team is winning

edit: having said all that, this situation seems to be amusing to the sox (see trib article) Maybe PHG's wishful thinking is trueI can't blame Ozzie for spouting off, but he needs to smarten up and not bite on every piece of bait the mediots throw at him. They all know they can

A. Dig up a real story (a lot of work), or
B. Bait Ozzie, print up an easy story with his remarks and spend the rest of the day at the Billy Goat.

No mystery to anyone here which they'll choose. Don't help them out, Ozzie.

voodoochile
04-23-2005, 11:07 AM
I can't blame Ozzie for spouting off, but he needs to smarten up and not bite on every piece of bait the mediots throw at him. They all know they can

A. Dig up a real story (a lot of work), or
B. Bait Ozzie, print up an easy story with his remarks and spend the rest of the day at the Billy Goat.

No mystery to anyone here which they'll choose. Don't help them out, Ozzie.

Cheezborger, Cheezborger...

Intentional or not, the team is looser than it has been all season. I say go for it Ozzie. You keep screaming at the press and then turn around to the team and smile that winning smile and say, "Just play ball. I got the media..."

Hey, the team is getting more national press than at any time since I can remember. First they are getting good press for their play and then Ozzie gets another 5 minutes as they shake their heads and go "tsk tsk tsk".

Let 'em all wonder *** is going on in Chicago (in the baddest part of town). Look at who's cracking. It isn't the Sox. It's the Twinkies who are having a hard time maintaining the concentration necessary to keep up with a Sox team that is clearly living large and loving life... oh and winning and winning and winning...

It does NOT suck to be us at the moment. :)

Ol' No. 2
04-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Cheezborger, Cheezborger...

Intentional or not, the team is looser than it has been all season. I say go for it Ozzie. You keep screaming at the press and then turn around to the team and smile that winning smile and say, "Just play ball. I got the media..."

Hey, the team is getting more national press than at any time since I can remember. First they are getting good press for their play and then Ozzie gets another 5 minutes as they shake their heads and go "tsk tsk tsk".

Let 'em all wonder *** is going on in Chicago (in the baddest part of town). Look at who's cracking. It isn't the Sox. It's the Twinkies who are having a hard time maintaining the concentration necessary to keep up with a Sox team that is clearly living large and loving life... oh and winning and winning and winning...

It does NOT suck to be us at the moment. :)It does kind of remind me of the 1985 Bears.

Winning baseball definately does NOT suck.:supernana:

CallMeNuts
04-23-2005, 01:01 PM
I bet it's not a hernia. It's probably a "his-knee-a".

Viva Medias B's
04-23-2005, 08:09 PM
It does kind of remind me of the 1985 Bears.

Winning baseball definately does NOT suck.:supernana:

:ozzie
"Fun is winning and winning is fun."

soxfanreggie
04-23-2005, 08:53 PM
I haven't had time to read the whole thread, but my thoughts on this are simple. Ordonez told Ozzie to worry about his own playes...now during the contract negotiations, Maggs forgets that he is one of Ozzie's players. If Detroit was willing to pay more money to someone who's injured...they can go right ahead. I'm liking how this team is looking and couldn't be happier that we're the #1 team in baseball right now.

sld7c
04-24-2005, 12:35 AM
You know there's something seriously off about a man who names BOTH his daughter and his son after himself.
I don't like Ozzie badmouthing Olivo though. Everything I've heard about him he's a pretty stand up guy.