Hawk and Wimpy
or
Hawk and DJ?

MY VOTE IS FOR
HAWK AND WIMPY

delben91
04-21-2005, 09:26 PM
Hawk and Wimpy.

Though I must admit there are times when DJ just amuses the hell out of me. For instance:

"uh oh, UH OH, UH OH!!! It's Gone!!!"
"What's the snail riding on the turtle say? WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"

To name a few.

But I'd listen to Hawk with anyone. Homer, Reinsdorf mouthpiece, whatever, I love listening to him broadcast the Sox.

:gulp:

MeanFish
04-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Ok lets here it
Who is the better dynamic duo.

Hawk and Wimpy
or
Hawk and DJ?

So the REAL question is whether Wimpy is better than DJ, no?

Ever see that Wrestlemania 7 match between the Undertaker and Superfly Jimmy Snuka? Well, replace wrestling with broadcasting and I'd imagine the matchup would end up about the same.

Besides, nothing was funnier than Hawk and Wimpy bickering.

Wimpy: "Wow, that was athletic"
Hawk: "What are you talking about"
::dead air::

santo=dorf
04-21-2005, 09:29 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/daver/deadhorse.gif

Schmitz33
04-21-2005, 09:31 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/daver/deadhorse.gif

SOME OF US ARE NEW TO THE BOARD

NEXT TIME I WILL RUN MY IDEAS BY YOU FIRST:D:

skobabe8
04-21-2005, 09:31 PM
no comparison

WinningUgly!
04-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Ok lets here it
Who is the better dynamic duo.

Hawk and Wimpy
or
Hawk and DJ?

This topic is about as fresh as a Foghat concert. :rolleyes:

tacosalbarojas
04-21-2005, 09:53 PM
The much more relevant question is who did you like better: Hawk and DD or Hawk and Wimpy? For me it's a close call, but for sheer fun, Hawk and Wimpy score a split decision victory. I was thinking about a Labor Day doubleheader in '98 or '99 and I remember whiling away six hours listening to those fools...and I could have whiled away six more hours listening to them. But I liked Drysdale and Hawk too. Hawk needs someone from his era that would command his respect automatically...Tommy John or Jim Kaat would fill the bill nicely.

Dibbs
04-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Going to KC this weekend brings back the memory of when Wimperoo gave himself a hot foot in KC...

Ron Karkovice
04-21-2005, 10:58 PM
I remember when I was little I thought that Hawk and DJ looked alike, that's all i have to say!:whiner:

kojak
04-22-2005, 01:04 AM
I don't get to hear DJ much out here, although I did get to see today's game since we now have WGN (THANKS COMCAST!)

But I cannot stand him!

I think he should be replaced by Buddy Baker.

jordan23ventura
04-22-2005, 01:50 AM
Wimpy, no contest.

As was discussed a few weeks ago in ST, I really liked Carmen Difalco in the booth with Hawk. Not a knock on DJ, but two analysts and no natural play by play man just doesn't work. Listening to Carmen in the booth with Hawk was better, because even though it was Carmen's first time, he still made Hawk shine more than usual and did a great job of keeping him talking.

BRDSR
04-22-2005, 02:06 AM
I remember when I was little I thought that Hawk and DJ looked alike, that's all i have to say!:whiner:

I don't really understand your post. You were born in '87 and Hawk and DJ teamed up in what...2000? You'd be thirteen. You thought a white old guy and a black younger guy looked alike? I'm confused.

But the good news is, I see you're headed to the U of I next fall. White Sox fans welcome you! We're still outnumbered by Cubs fans here but I see a very significant number of Sox hats and shirts down here. Your handle proves a decent knowledge of Sox history(not many Cubs fans could name their starting catcher in 1993, even if he wasn't the ugliest man ever to put on a baseball uniform). You'll fit right in. Good luck. At the risk of hijacking this thread, do you know where you'll be living and what you'll be majoring in?

LongLiveFisk
04-22-2005, 08:57 AM
I don't really understand your post. You were born in '87 and Hawk and DJ teamed up in what...2000? You'd be thirteen. You thought a white old guy and a black younger guy looked alike? I'm confused.

Not that I should speak for anyone else but I'm guessing that was a typo and this person meant to say Hawk and Wimpy. :dunno:

WhteSox725
04-22-2005, 08:58 AM
Where is the option that doesn't include Hawk?

Sad
04-22-2005, 09:01 AM

:kneeslap:

elrod
04-22-2005, 09:05 AM
I've never really warmed up to DJ. He sounds too unsure of himself in the booth. I love Hawk, though. My 3-year old son has taken to yelling "He Gone" lately.

hose
04-22-2005, 09:13 AM
Wimpy, no contest.

As was discussed a few weeks ago in ST, I really liked Carmen Difalco in the booth with Hawk.

"Difalco ?!? .....he gone"
:reinsy

Infallible
04-22-2005, 09:24 AM
I like Dj and Hawk better. I enjoy the dead air silence that happens just about every game when they disagree about something. Its funny as hell. Pacorek looked like and acted like he belonged in Boys town Wrigleyville.

SoxFan78
04-22-2005, 10:17 AM
How the hell did Hawk and DJ get 5 votes???

rdwj
04-22-2005, 10:39 AM
How the hell did Hawk and DJ get 5 votes???

I was wondering the exact same thing - I thought this would be 100% to 0% for sure.

SOXintheBURGH
04-22-2005, 11:04 AM
I think its more of a "I really miss Wimpy" feeling that people have since its been a few years now. I'm getting more and more used to DJ, but my fondest memories (I'm only 23) of Sox broadcasting will always be Hawk and "The Duke" Tom Paciorek.

Hangar18
04-22-2005, 11:28 AM
I voted Hawk & Wimpy. I really liked Pacioreks personality .......
alot. He seemed to get a rise out of Hawk, and I liked his soft guy personality matched with Hawks tough guy personality. It worked fantastically well and still dont know the reason Paciorek was let go.

However, DJ has grown into his job and does a very professional job,
is eloquent, has a good perception of game situations, and is not easily
distracted (unlike his color counterpart 8 miles north, who brings down big time his partner in the booth hughes)
so a pat on the back to him, he doesnt take away from the pairing, and adds to it, he just doesnt Add as much as a Hawk & Wimpy did. Poor decision to
remove him.

So in short, Wimpy and Hawk worked so much better as a team than with DJ.

hdog1017
04-22-2005, 12:32 PM
Its like asking yourself who you would rather have sex with, bea arthur or angelina jolie. Its obvious.

Unregistered
04-22-2005, 12:36 PM
This topic is about as fresh as a Foghat concert. :rolleyes: Kingpin is such an underrated movie. :D:

A.T. Money
04-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Hawk and Wimpy were great.

But I really enjoy Hawk and DJ, so I voted for that. Main reason is you look at them and just laugh. They are so opposite. Hawk, the old school white southern dude from Florida, all opinionated. And DJ, the black smartass from SoCal. I just think it's a funny combo and their differences just make it so much more fun. It seems like a lot of times Hawk will say something and DJ will make a wisecrack and you know the silence is because Hawk is pissed. It's great.

But there is no doubt that Hawk and DJ do the YEEEESSS well together. Wimpy never even did the YEEEESSS. It was all Hawk. But I like how DJ adds to it for a stereo effect.

HITMEN OF 77
04-22-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm sure I'm the minority here. I liked Hawk and Wimpy but I really enjoy listening to Hawk and DJ more.

PatK
04-22-2005, 01:14 PM
I voted Hawk and Wimpy, but there is something that's stangely intriguing abotu DJ.

Mainly when the two don't agree on something or when it's obvious that there is some hate going on between the two.

JoseCanseco6969
04-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Not that I should speak for anyone else but I'm guessing that was a typo and this person meant to say Hawk and Wimpy. :dunno:

that makes more sense. I can remember my first recollections of watching the sox with those two and I always wondered..Why is this guy calling the other wimpy?? I initially thought he was making fun of him.

Brian26
04-22-2005, 01:24 PM
I think a lot of people here have fonder memories of Paciorek just because maybe the teams back in the early 90s had more success or they were in a different part of their lives. Paciorek was ok, but he was just as quirky and un-sure sounding in the booth as DJ. There were times when Paciorek did PBP (when Hawk left the booth), and he sounded just as lost as DJ does right now. Paciorek got better over time just like DJ is doing, but I don't think this is a run-away for Paciorek at all.

I'd give Paciorek a slight nod over DJ.

Unregistered
04-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Why is this guy calling the other wimpy?? I initially thought he was making fun of him.I just remember when Wimpy starting the "Call me 'Duke'" campaign. It was pretty funny to hear Hawk go "That's a hang wiff'um, Wimpy..." and Paciorek was interrupt with "It's Duke." To which Hawk would respond "I dunno, Wimpy - you look like a 'Wimpy' to me..." :D:

That tension was truly priceless.

Brian26
04-22-2005, 01:26 PM
But there is no doubt that Hawk and DJ do the YEEEESSS well together. Wimpy never even did the YEEEESSS. It was all Hawk. But I like how DJ adds to it for a stereo effect.

I love the stereo YES.

Paciorek WOULD steal Hawk's lines, though, when he was doing PBP by himself, which always sounded really silly. Paciorek would say "Mercy" or "You can put THAT ONE on the board".

PaleHoseGeorge
04-22-2005, 01:36 PM

You got that right, WU!
:thumbsup:

I find it especially amusing because both poll choices have the entrants teamed up with Hawk Harrelson.

Get a clue. It was *HARRELSON* who forced Wimpy out of the booth. DJ never even gets the job if not for Harrelson.
:kukoo:

Wimpy will never work with Harrelson ever again because Harrelson wouldn't have it any other way. This sounds like the sort of topic that assclown on the Score would probably love to talk about.

schmitty9800
04-22-2005, 02:05 PM
DJ's been getting better. His insights on pitchers are very good most of the time.

I still cringe when he's doing PBP or saying something painfully obvious though.

JKryl
04-22-2005, 02:12 PM
DJ's been getting better. His insights on pitchers are very good most of the time.

I still cringe when he's doing PBP or saying something painfully obvious though.

Getting better? How long until he gets good?

SOXSINCE'70
04-22-2005, 02:19 PM
I'll take Hawk and Wimpy anyday.Wimpy was the only one with
the guts to argue with Hawk when he got too full of himself.
You think DJ would do that?? I don't think so.Put DJ on the
"Fox Game Of The Week" and put an analyst with a true
opinion in the booth.Sometimes,listening to these 2 makes
me long even more for Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall.

chisox2005
04-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Where is the option that doesn't include Hawk?

I agree with you on this one. I'll switch the radio guys with Hawk and DJ in a split second.