PDA

View Full Version : 5 years ago this week...

gobears1987
04-21-2005, 08:41 PM
It was 5 years ago this week that our Sox and the Tigers got into the infamous dual brawls. Does anyone have a video to link here of the incident?

Either way, let's discuss the brawl.

BTW, was anyone there?

nordhagen
04-21-2005, 08:44 PM
That brawl certainly showed what an idiot Robert Fick is - which he proved again with the Braves in the playoffs against the Cubs when he tried to rip Eric Karros' arm off on a routine play at first base (I hate the Cubs, but it was a total bush-league play). Same for Bobby Higginson, who has become a completely worthless piece of crap.

gobears1987
04-21-2005, 08:45 PM
That brawl certainly showed what an idiot Robert Fick is - which he proved again with the Braves in the playoffs against the Cubs when he tried to rip Eric Karros' arm off on a routine play at first base (I hate the Cubs, but it was a total bush-league play). Same for Bobby Higginson, who has become a completely worthless piece of crap.

Wasn't Higginson the guy who PH'ed in today's game only to get embarassed by Shingo?

nordhagen
04-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Wasn't Higginson the guy who PH'ed in today's game only to get K'ed by Shingo?

He actually popped out to Rowand in center to end the game. But on the first pitch he tried to bunt. I was in my car listening on the radio and Farmio and Rooney wondered what in the heck he was thinking. He's also become a favorite whipping boy for Tiger fans.

SOXintheBURGH
04-21-2005, 08:48 PM
He actually popped out to Rowand in center to end the game. But on the first pitch he tried to bunt. I was in my car listening on the radio and Farmio and Rooney wondered what in the heck he was thinking. He's also become a favorite whipping boy for Tiger fans.

From Rookie of the Year to whipping boy....

gobears1987
04-21-2005, 08:48 PM

My bad, I missed this game due to school. I only had gameday available to me.

Another thing, I was looking over old newspaper articles and I guess the Sox were in the middle of a 4 game winning streak and a good start to the season at the time of the brawl. It is also worth mentioning that we won the Central in 2000.

Malgar 12
04-21-2005, 09:28 PM

He signed a huge contract, and has underperformed ever since. I would say being the whipping boy is deserved.

Soxzilla
04-21-2005, 09:39 PM
He signed a huge contract, and has underperformed ever since. I would say being the whipping boy is deserved.

Give it a few years and Magglio may be that whipping boy...

...if he's still around.

tacosalbarojas
04-21-2005, 09:46 PM
It was 5 years ago this week that our Sox and the Tigers got into the infamous dual brawls. Does anyone have a video to link here of the incident?

BTW, was anyone there?
My buddy was there and said it was awesome. I remember in the aftermath, when Manuel got suspended, he dressed up as a bellhop in the hotel where we were staying on the road. Once JM lost the ability to laugh at himself like that, (was the Neal Cotts Yankee Stadium game the point where he officially jumped the shark?) it was over for him.

jdm2662
04-21-2005, 09:52 PM
I was at work during the game. I've seen it on reply quite a few times. It was ugly. Tom Dore made a reference to this game to the fight between the Bulls and Wiz in the preseason. Dore said the Sox-Tigers brawl brought them together and said the Bulls fight could bring them together. I didn't really take it seriously, but it's amazing what can happen in five months.
________
PROJECT GENESIS (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Project_Genesis)

batmanZoSo
04-21-2005, 10:04 PM
My buddy was there and said it was awesome. I remember in the aftermath, when Manuel got suspended, he dressed up as a bellhop in the hotel where we were staying on the road. Once JM lost the ability to laugh at himself like that, (was the Neal Cotts Yankee Stadium game the point where he officially jumped the shark?) it was over for him.

It could have been that, or it could've been...

The time he insisted on playing Clayton and Julio .091 Ramirez in the same lineup day in and day out,

or...

The time Crede was clearly cheated out of a home run in Baltimore and a sleepy Manuel didn't even make it out of the dugout,

or...

The time he let Jose Paniagua give up several runs to the Twins before taking him out, causing a boost in their confidence after which point they never lost another game to us and won the division.

It's all good. :cool:

HoosierHerb
04-21-2005, 10:30 PM
I was there, sitting in left field. I missed the 7th inning brawl (bathroom) but definitely saw the second one.

Lip Man 1
04-21-2005, 10:36 PM
Keith Foulke was bloodied with a bad cut on his face due to a sideways punch from 3rd base coach Juan Samuel. I think 26 players were suspended having to sit out there times in a staggered formation otherwise neither team would have had anybody on the bench.

The fight started due to Jim Parque and Jeff Weaver throwing at the other teams hitters three times.

The Sox won 14-6 with 5 RBI's from Chris Singleton. The game was on April 22, 2000.

Lip

RKMeibalane
04-21-2005, 10:37 PM

I think it was when he admitted that he "likes to tinker, even though usually doesn't work."

SomebodyToldMe
04-21-2005, 10:39 PM
Oh man. That brawl has been forever imprinted in my memory. I remember watching it in awe on tv and getting so pissed off. I wanted to beat the living crap out of Fick. Then when they were taking him off the field, the fans threw so much beer on him. That fight was nuts.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-21-2005, 10:44 PM
(was the Neal Cotts Yankee Stadium game the point where he officially jumped the shark?) .

Yes, yes it was Fonzie.

tacosalbarojas
04-21-2005, 11:41 PM
It could have been that, or it could've been...

The time he insisted on playing Clayton and Julio .091 Ramirez in the same lineup day in and day out,

or...

The time Crede was clearly cheated out of a home run in Baltimore and a sleepy Manuel didn't even make it out of the dugout,

or...

The time he let Jose Paniagua give up several runs to the Twins before taking him out, causing a boost in their confidence after which point they never lost another game to us and won the division.

It's all good. :cool:
Good stufff, batman. There's definitely a lot to choose from, though I was at the Paniagua game (nice middle finger to the ump, nice exit from the grand game of baseball, buddy) and I always thought of the Paniagua game more as the straw that broke the camel's back.

tacosalbarojas
04-21-2005, 11:42 PM
Yes, yes it was Fonzie.Ayyy, Cunningham...

Rudy Law
04-22-2005, 12:26 AM

BTW, was anyone there?

I was there..It was the best baseball fight I have seen....It topped Mo Vaughn body blocking George Bell off the pitchers mound against the Red Sox.....I just remember seeing Magglio in the outfield surronded by 4 Tigers and he was Karate kicking them....I also remember Robert Ficks beer shower in the bullpen and Higginsons cheap shot on Kieth Foulke

Viva Medias B's
04-22-2005, 12:35 AM
I was not there. In fact, I was at the Northwestern spring football scrimmage and the first couple of innings of the Wildcat baseball team's game versus Michigan State in Evanston that day. I was listening to the game on the way home and heard when one of our guys got beaned. When I did get home, I forgot to turn on the game for whatever reason. I think we were already up by a lot of runs. When I realized that I had forgotten to turn the game on, I turned on the TV and the first picture I saw was Ozzie's new enemy walking down the clubhouse ramp with Hawk saying "Maggs is gone." I did see the second brawl, obviously.

cheeses_h_rice
04-22-2005, 01:04 AM

BTW, was anyone there?

I had a chance to go to the game, for free, but since it was such a nice day out I decided to get in a long run instead.

I remember coming home right when the first brawl was happening, and I kept the game on 'til the end, which was good as the 9th inning brawl was just as good.

I'll never forget the image of Robert Fick practically begging the fans in the outfield to douse his ass with beer, or Keith Foulke with a bloodied face.

Good times.

BRDSR
04-22-2005, 01:16 AM
I had a chance to go to the game, for free, but since it was such a nice day out I decided to get in a long run instead.

Man, people have to pay me to get in a long run, not offer me free White Sox tickets.

Kuzman
04-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Blasphemy!

elrod
04-22-2005, 09:17 AM
The suspensions actually hurt the Sox for a bit. In one of the few genuine skids of the 2000 season, the Sox lost 9 out of 11 games beginning April 29, which I believe is when the suspensions went into effect. However, when Jeff Abbott hit the two-run homer off Guardado on May 13 the Sox set the ship right again. Man, I remember that like it was yesterday.

TommyJohn
04-22-2005, 10:31 AM

BTW, was anyone there?

I was! I was visiting from California at the time and happened to go to that
game. It was the first brawl I'd ever seen as a fan. (I'd seen afew as a vendor.)

DaveIsHere
04-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Anyone have this footage?

DumpJerry
04-22-2005, 11:38 AM
Oh boy, you really set yourself up with this admission. You shoulda said you were visiting orphans in the hospital or buying groceries for elderly ladies or something that would make us think you had a legit reason to give up FREE SOX TICKETS.

I love going to the game when it is nice out. Does this mean you only go to the Sox when it is sleeting, raining and snowing?