PDA

View Full Version : Approaching series vs. Kansas City

SOXintheBURGH
04-21-2005, 07:22 PM
Little question for some of the old schoolers 'round these parts.

When I was reading "Through Hope and Despair," I remember Helpingstine writing about incidents in '77 where we had a feud with the Royals concerning home run celebrations. It was along the lines of- Sox home run, dramatic trots around the bases, fans going nuts and players giving curtain calls. So in response, Kansas City started doing the same thing to mock us.

Anything else about this that I'm missing? Because I find this hilarious.

Cheers!

nordhagen
04-21-2005, 07:41 PM
The Sox swept the Royals in a big four-game series at Comiskey Park in late July and were in first place. This was the same year Na-Na-Na, Hey-Hey took off and became famous. Crowds were huge and demanding curtain calls so cranky, hacked off Hal McRae and I think George Brett complained about the fans and everyone being involved being hot dogs.

When they went back to Kansas City a week or two later I think the Royals swept them and the Royals were doing curtain calls, etc... What passed for Sox pitching that year collapsed and the Royals ultimately ran away with the division title.

Niagara
04-21-2005, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't lose any sleep worrying about the Royals hitting home runs this weekend. Or even winning. I might even break down and drive over to the K and pay to see the Losers play the Sox.

SOXintheBURGH
04-21-2005, 07:56 PM
I wouldn't lose any sleep worrying about the Royals hitting home runs this weekend. Or even winning. I might even break down and drive over to the K and pay to see the Losers play the Sox.

As at out of towner, I would take any chance to see the Sox play in a road game. How far is Topeka from KC?

SOXintheBURGH
04-21-2005, 07:57 PM
The Sox swept the Royals in a big four-game series at Comiskey Park in late July and were in first place. This was the same year Na-Na-Na, Hey-Hey took off and became famous. Crowds were huge and demanding curtain calls so cranky, hacked off Hal McRae and I think George Brett complained about the fans and everyone being involved being hot dogs.

When they went back to Kansas City a week or two later I think the Royals swept them and the Royals were doing curtain calls, etc... What passed for Sox pitching that year collapsed and the Royals ultimately ran away with the division title.

Thanks for the clarification.. I knew it was something along those lines. That's a tradition that should be reinstated. Especially this post-season. :gulp:

nordhagen
04-21-2005, 07:58 PM

They might be better off with George Brett and Hal McRae in the lineup right now.

skobabe8
04-21-2005, 08:16 PM
Call me crazy, but I'm a little nervous about this upcoming series. Here's why:

The Royals arent playing that bad, and gave the Twins a pretty good fight during their series in Minny, losing both games by a run, today in 10 innings.

Mike Sweeney is pretty warm, is a Sox killer, and trying to carry them on his fragile back.

The past few years lesser teams have given us fits.

They might get up more for a first place team than we will for a last place team.

AND THE NUMBER 1 REASON...
I'LL BE THERE ON SUNDAY! And i'll be :angry: if my first game is anything but a W.

I guess I'm just nervous. Be kind.

johnnyg83
04-21-2005, 08:47 PM
I'll be there tomorrow.

Despite today and a couple of other games the Royals are having a hard time scoring. There bullpen was supposed to be a strength but it's been erratic.

Niagara
04-21-2005, 09:09 PM
Topeka's about 70 miles from the K. I haven't been to a game there in years.

Whitesox029
04-21-2005, 09:20 PM

The Royals arent playing that bad, and gave the Twins a pretty good fight during their series in Minny, losing both games by a run, today in 10 innings.

Mike Sweeney is pretty warm, is a Sox killer, and trying to carry them on his fragile back.

They might get up more for a first place team than we will for a last place team.

I'LL BE THERE ON SUNDAY! And i'll be :angry: if my first game is anything but a W.

This is a different team, though. Recall that the Twins also used to give us fits. The 2004 Sox would have found a way to blow a good number of the games that the 2005 Sox have won.

Lip Man 1
04-21-2005, 09:29 PM
This and that:

The 'curtain-calls' began the first Sunday in June 1977. It was game #2 of a DH with the Twins at Comiskey Park. The Sox had already won the first three games to move into first place, when Jim Essian hit a 4th inning HR the crowd was so loud and boisterous that the umpires couldn't continue because you couldn't hear anything. Essian came out, tipped his cap and the crowd quieted...until a minute later when Alan Bannister followed with another HR. Another 'curtain call,' and the tradition was born.

The Royals came to town the last weekend of July. The Sox won the first three games all coming from behind in the late innings. (The Saturday game was won when Eric Soderholm smacked a three run blast off Doug Bird in the 8th inning.) After winning game #1 of the Sunday DH by scoring three times in the10th, the Sox lead was up to 6 1/2 games the largest lead they had had since 1967. Between the curtain calls, the song, the standing room only crowds and the way they lost... the Royals had it.

In game #2 they hammered Chris Knapp and punctuated the game with Hal McRae blasting a home run, slowly trotting around the bases then tipping his cap to the fans as he crossed home plate.

Among the comments afterward was this from pitcher Jim Colborn, 'they better be careful, here it is only July and they (meaning the Sox) are tooting their own horn.'

It has been rumored, but not proven, in any of my interviews that Richie Zisk called a team meeting and told everyone to 'cool it.' Even though it wasn't the Sox players that instigated this...the fans were DEMANDING it. And wouldn't allow the game to continue without it.

The next weekend the Sox went into K.C. and before three sell out crowds lost all three games. The K.C. players trotted slowly around the bases, tipped their caps, had curtain calls and generally mocked everything the Sox FANS (important difference) had demanded.

The series was punctuated with two fights between Bart Johnson and Darrell Porter and Essian nearly climbing into the stands when a fan threw a glass of beer at him.

After that the Sox were never the same while the Royals exploded with winning streaks of 5, 10 and 16 straight! They followed their loss by winning another 8 in a row or 24 out of 25 games! They ended the yyear with 102 losses losing to the Yankees in the ALCS.

Lip

Mark Buehrle
04-21-2005, 09:31 PM
The Royals will be beasted.

seanpmurphy
04-21-2005, 09:31 PM
I'm not worried about this series. KC's been inconsistent with their scoring, and have lost to teams we've beaten (Twins, Cleveland, Detroit). I really don't foresee any of KC's pitchers limiting us in the run department, and if our pitching continues to be like it has been, you can bust out the brooms in my opinion.

johnnyg83
04-21-2005, 11:34 PM
you can bust out the brooms in my opinion.

Now you've done it. 0-3

SOXintheBURGH
04-21-2005, 11:43 PM
This and that:

The 'curtain-calls' began the first Sunday in June 1977. It was game #2 of a DH with the Twins at Comiskey Park. The Sox had already won the first three games to move into first place, when Jim Essian hit a 4th inning HR the crowd was so loud and boisterous that the umpires couldn't continue because you couldn't hear anything. Essian came out, tipped his cap and the crowd quieted...until a minute later when Alan Bannister followed with another HR. Another 'curtain call,' and the tradition was born.

The Royals came to town the last weekend of July. The Sox won the first three games all coming from behind in the late innings. (The Saturday game was won when Eric Soderholm smacked a three run blast off Doug Bird in the 8th inning.) After winning game #1 of the Sunday DH by scoring three times in the10th, the Sox lead was up to 6 1/2 games the largest lead they had had since 1967. Between the curtain calls, the song, the standing room only crowds and the way they lost... the Royals had it.

In game #2 they hammered Chris Knapp and punctuated the game with Hal McRae blasting a home run, slowly trotting around the bases then tipping his cap to the fans as he crossed home plate.

Among the comments afterward was this from pitcher Jim Colborn, 'they better be careful, here it is only July and they (meaning the Sox) are tooting their own horn.'

It has been rumored, but not proven, in any of my interviews that Richie Zisk called a team meeting and told everyone to 'cool it.' Even though it wasn't the Sox players that instigated this...the fans were DEMANDING it. And wouldn't allow the game to continue without it.

The next weekend the Sox went into K.C. and before three sell out crowds lost all three games. The K.C. players trotted slowly around the bases, tipped their caps, had curtain calls and generally mocked everything the Sox FANS (important difference) had demanded.

The series was punctuated with two fights between Bart Johnson and Darrell Porter and Essian nearly climbing into the stands when a fan threw a glass of beer at him.

After that the Sox were never the same while the Royals exploded with winning streaks of 5, 10 and 16 straight! They followed their loss by winning another 8 in a row or 24 out of 25 games! They ended the yyear with 102 losses losing to the Yankees in the ALCS.

Lip

Thanks Lip. Good recount.

johnnyg83
04-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Anyone who goes to KC for a game -- ya gotta go to 'the Peanut' for a BLT. It's the best BLT you;ve ever had in your life. 50th and Main.

seanpmurphy
04-22-2005, 02:19 PM
Now you've done it. 0-3

Nah dude. I don't believe in jinxs. Sox will handle it.

JoseCanseco6969
04-22-2005, 02:43 PM

I just hope the latest media crap with Ozzie and Jagglio wont cloud the heads of the players

converted
04-22-2005, 03:08 PM

I agree with this line. But I'm not too nervous. Hey, I'll be at the game Sunday too! Maybe I'll see you there! My record so far is 2-0. I expect a win!
:D:

SoxWillWin
04-22-2005, 06:08 PM
I'm a little nervous, but not tremendously. I think the sox can handle these guys. It also looks as though Crede might be able to up the hitting streak to 13 tonight, he is 5 for 13 with 1 HR against this Hernandez guy. :D::D:

owensmouth
04-22-2005, 07:03 PM
KC has been tough on us when one of their young arms has an especially good game. Hernandez could tonite, but it's more realistic that he will be outpitched by Freddie.

The last time Contreras faced the Royals, he pitched the best game we saw him throw. Hopefully, tomorrow he'll dominate them.

Hernandez should be able to take care of business Sunday.

Niagara
04-22-2005, 11:03 PM
One down. Royals lose like always. Go Sox.