PDA

View Full Version : Crede pushing .300

pczarapa
04-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Crede is sitting at .296. I never thought I'd say it, but he looks very comfortable swinging the bat. I have to admit I had written him off as "Karkovice like", i.e. good defense - bad stick. I hope he can keep it up!

:bandance:

voodoochile
04-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Crede is sitting at .296. I never thought I'd say it, but he looks very comfortable swinging the bat. I have to admit I had written him off as "Karkovice like", i.e. good defense - bad stick. I hope he can keep it up!

:bandance:

He was over it for a period of time today before his final AB.

The most impressive part of it to me is that he is starting to drive the ball to all fields. That final AB had to be run down in the gap by the RF'er or the Sox have two insurance runs and Joe is hitting close to .320.

mealfred13
04-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Crede was a ridiculously good hitter in AAA, which doesn't mean much usually, but you'd think it would carry over into the bigs at least to some extent. I've been really disappointed that he never came close to his minor-league numbers, but would not be surprised if he made a big turnaround this year with his hitting stats. He always had the skills to be a great hitter, and he's been showing it lately. Let's just hope he doesn't let up.

wsoxfan
04-21-2005, 06:35 PM
he is hitting the ball better but should take more pitches, his OPB still isn't very high but at least he's hitting...:smile:

jabrch
04-21-2005, 06:37 PM
I know this is politically incorrect in many circles, but if Crede can hit .300, I don't care if his OBP is only .320... The problem lies if he hits .240 and has an OBP of .300.

Crede is a fine #9 hitter. If he's our biggest offensive problem, we should be in damn good shape.

The Racehorse
04-21-2005, 06:38 PM
his OPB still isn't very high but at least he's hitting...:smile:

You beat me to the punch! :cool:

:)

The Racehorse
04-21-2005, 06:41 PM
The problem lies if he hits .240 and has an OBP of .300.

or an OPB of .299 like in 2004. :redneck

:)

shoota
04-21-2005, 07:12 PM
Today, Mac, Jurko and Harry were talking nicknames for Joe Crede. I guess they used to call him lamb for his weak bat and timid personality, but now have upgraded him to "ram," because of his recent tough play (hitting the ball hard, trying to run over catchers).

I think it was Harry who suggested the nickname of cicada, because Crede hits about as often as a cicada appears. hahah, Harry :rolling:

Evman5
04-21-2005, 07:21 PM
I thought they were calling him "The Rhino"

zach074
04-21-2005, 09:09 PM
I just wanted to make it official I zach074 am jumping on the Joe Crede bandwagon.

Ol' No. 2
04-21-2005, 09:15 PM
I know this is politically incorrect in many circles, but if Crede can hit .300, I don't care if his OBP is only .320... The problem lies if he hits .240 and has an OBP of .300.

Crede is a fine #9 hitter. If he's our biggest offensive problem, we should be in damn good shape.I agree with this, more or less, but it depends on where he's hitting in the order. At the bottom, OBP becomes more important since it turns the lineup over. But if he can continue to hit they can move him up a notch or two, where the ability to drive in runs becomes more important than getting on base.

SoxFan76
04-21-2005, 09:24 PM
I would just like to say I've had this sig even before ST. Thank you, and have nice night.

batmanZoSo
04-21-2005, 09:29 PM
I'm happy for Crede, I hope this is his year finally and I'm proven an idiot. I never got on him too bad, but I would've pulled the trigger on a trade last year if I could have. All I ever asked from him was to hit a solid .270, get on base at a reasonable rate, maybe .340 and hit 25 homers. With an above average glove, those numbers are a big asset to this team especially from an 8th place hitter. The guy was a world beater in the minors, why he's sucked so bad until recently is a mystery. Keep it up Joe. :wink:

Fake Chet Lemon
04-21-2005, 09:33 PM
His hitting is actually overshadowing the tremendous defense he has been playing.

Mark Buehrle
04-21-2005, 09:34 PM
That's true man, he's impressed me so much lately. He's playing gold-glove defense, and he's finally hitting like he's been expected.

TheBull19
04-21-2005, 09:48 PM
but now have upgraded him to "ram," because of his recent tough play (hitting the ball hard, trying to run over catchers).

That just sounds gay ("not that there's anything wrong with that")

shoota
04-21-2005, 10:46 PM
I thought they were calling him "The Rhino"

Yes, they did mention that as a nickname too. Harry took exception to it though since he thought there could only be one "Ryno" in Chicago. Even as a Sox fan I'd strongly agree with that. I wouldn't want some Cub, no-bat, mediocre gloving lambchop taking the nickname "Big Hurt."

daveeym
04-21-2005, 11:05 PM
I'm not on the bandwagon yet, he's had a hot 4 all around games and I hope he keeps it going. Give me that .270 with adequate supporting numbers at the all star break and you may have to try beating me off the wagon with a stick. Better than that and I'm tossing people off the wagon to get on.

Tragg
04-21-2005, 11:22 PM
There was no point in trading crede after his first year here because he never had any trade value - you would be giving away a player who had the credentials to possibly (50/50 chance) improve for nothing. And maybe he has improved (early yet). The alternative would be to sign a royce clayton, ahem joe randa, who will get you exactly nowhere. And crede's glove has never been in question. And while hitting .230, he also provided 15-20 homers, which is better than most .230 hitters provide.
Same with Garland - absent spending another 5 mill per for a pitcher, what was ever the point in dumping? (not to mention that 2 years ago, he gave us the 2nd to most quality starts in the rotation).

The next issue along these lines will be Borchard. A couple of differences - one is that he plays a position in which we're deep in the upper minors. And 2nd, just my opinion, he swings at way too many bad pitches (I didn't think that about crede). But make no mistake, we'll need one or 2 of those outfielders plus McCarthy (or another pitcher) if we are to go where we want to go. YOung players can do wonders for a team with a middlin budget.

CPditka
04-21-2005, 11:40 PM
Let me be the first to say...

Borass is loving this.

Adrian Beltre Part II

jordan23ventura
04-22-2005, 01:14 AM

Borass is loving this.

Adrian Beltre Part II

You just had to ruin the mood, didn't you?

Maybe Jagglio can put in a word in the Sox favor around negotiating time, providing that this proves to be Crede's breakout year.

SoxFan76
04-22-2005, 01:18 AM

Borass is loving this.

Adrian Beltre Part II

Thanks Debbie Downer.

"It's official.....I can't have children"
"They never did catch that anthrax guy"
"I guess Roy isn't doing as good as they thought" (Roy of Siegfried and Roy)

CPditka
04-22-2005, 01:33 AM
step 1 in being a Sox fan... Seeing the worst in every situation

Nah, im just kidding guys Joe bat .400 this year, I dont care. Then switch agents and sign for the league minimum.

CPditka
04-22-2005, 01:34 AM
There was a time when myself and my friends just laughed about how Joe was gonna have to sign real cheap and Boras would get screwed and we loved it. Why does Boras always win?

owensmouth
04-22-2005, 01:43 AM
I think that Crede made a significant effort over the winter to improve on his mechanics in the batters box. I guess that we all read that he added a batting cage to his home and spent a lot of time in it. Basically, Crede came to realize that playing major league baseball is a full time job. The offseason is a time to work on what ails ya.

In the past he was playing on his natural ability, just like he did in high school and the minors. And like in high school and the minors, he took the winter off. It finally dawned on him that to play well nowadays in the majors, you hafta work on it year round.

It can only make him better.

RowanDye
04-22-2005, 01:54 AM
I am as happy as anyone to see Joe tearing the cover off the ball lately (I was jumping for joy along the first baseline on Monday night when he hit that line drive homerun) and while I think his defense is above average I dont know about gold glove. I seem to recall at least three occasions this year so far where Uribe might have had a play and Joe got in his way, there was also an errant throw that Konerko saved. While it is hard to blame Joe for trying to make a play, Id like to see him and Uribe work out each others range to perfection. We need our defense to be as solid as possible.