PDA

View Full Version : White Sox in the Media today after 11-4 Start?

Hangar18
04-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Nope. WGN sports led off with the cubs "big win" last nite, and mentioned
they were in trouble with Nomar being hurt. Oh, and the SOX won last nite 9-1. No mention of 1st Place, No mention of Best record in the AL 11-4, No mention of best start since 1990.
FOX also led off with cubs "huge" win last nite. Wolf did mention SOX were
in 1st place though ........kudos.

On the radio, The River, an FM 95.9 suburban station played the NaNaHey hey theme and the DJ mentioned the SOX are playing great, in 1st place, but chastised the fans for not showing up on Tuesday. Sounded like a fan, but
was mad about attendance. Over at the Score latenite, Murph talked
Cub allnite and ignored the SOX. Nice.

The Sun-Times? 4-2 stories about the Cubs and huge full color picture
on Nomar injury. Cubune? Huge front page picture of Nomar and blaring
story on the win and injury. Bulls got the rest of the front page. Where
was the 1st place WHITE SOX Coverage? Oh, just a tiny column off to the left, no pictures either.

DumpJerry
04-21-2005, 10:31 AM
Come on Hangar, KW is directing the local media to keep us under the radar.

I'm looking forward to how they cover it when we sweep the jerks in the Urinal and Comiskey this year............

BTW, it's 11-4.:D:

Rocklive99
04-21-2005, 10:33 AM
I thought we were 11-4

Ugh, just turned on the TV to ESPNEWS and Mike and Mike were talking to one of their football "experts" about the Nomar thing, and then said "tune in to ESPN Radio all day for Nomar updates". ***, is this a national tragedy?

Rocky Soprano
04-21-2005, 10:50 AM
And best start since 1981 not 1990.

Soxzilla
04-21-2005, 10:58 AM
And best start since 1981 not 1990.

Did Joe Crede say that quote in your sig? When? (Obviously 4/19...but was it a press conference?)

Lip Man 1
04-21-2005, 11:13 AM
From Greg Couch's column in the Sun-Times today (talking about Steve Stone and the lack of video of Wood's tirade...)

"But Stone and Chip Caray are gone for not constantly glowing about the Cubs. And on WMVP radio, Sox and Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, who also has a stake in Comcast Sports, apparently feels he had been promised softball questions in exchange for his agreement to go on-air. And as always, we have a local newspaper/radio/TV powerhouse owning the Cubs. So how do we know for sure when we're getting something honest, even if we are?"

Lip

faneidde
04-21-2005, 11:19 AM
In fairness, the Cubs did play their arch rival in the NL and Nomar did go down. If the Sox continue this and the coverage still sucks, then something needs to be done.

Maximo
04-21-2005, 12:13 PM
After careful review of many of these threads for many, many months, the following assumptions might be made.

As Sox fans we want:

1. A team that tries to compete for World Championships both on the field and in the Front Office.
2. Respect from the local media meaning our team is an important entity and a contributor to the general welfare of the city of Chicago and its neighboring regions.
3. Recognition from national media outlets by generously including news stories about our team as "lead-ins" rather than "fill-ins"
4. At least 5
or more members of our team to be selected to the All-Star game on an annual basis.
5. A stadium that is not only filled, but unique, safe, comfortable, customer friendly, and legendary.
6. Retail stores around the country, perhaps world, loaded with our team's paraphernalia.
7. Ball players who we not only recognize as heroes, but good and honest men who get along well with the media.

Yep.....we pretty much want the same things that the fans of the Northside team have been getting for the past 20 years.

Realistically, I'll settle for number 1 at the moment and hope that numbers 2-7 begin to follow after that.

When all this happens, we'll still want one more:

8. The right to say, "I was Sox when Sox wasn't cool".

chaerulez
04-21-2005, 12:15 PM
I thought we were 11-4

Ugh, just turned on the TV to ESPNEWS and Mike and Mike were talking to one of their football "experts" about the Nomar thing, and then said "tune in to ESPN Radio all day for Nomar updates". ***, is this a national tragedy?

I can't stand Mike and Mike. Two of the most cliched idiots in the media. Greenberg rants about his Chicago connection all the time, even though hes a New Yorker and Golic doesn't know anything outside of football.

steff
04-21-2005, 12:17 PM
I thought we were 11-4

When Mark got "hurt" and they did the same damn thing. There were "ankle" updates every half hour for 2 those 2 days.

MRKARNO
04-21-2005, 12:21 PM
From the Daily Quickie:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/quickie

The New Go-Go Sox
Break 'em up! Third win in a row makes the ChiSox the AL's first team to reach 11 Ws AND sparks their best 15-game start since 1981.

Ozzie Guillen's even talking smack: "[The Twins] don't have the same team they had in the past. I'll take my chances. I like this team."

Meanwhile, Jon Garland (3-0) is the early favorite for the "April Cy Young" award, giving up only 1 R and 5 H in 8 IP.

Are the Sox legit contenders? In the wide-open AL Central, why not? But we've seen this before; fans probably waiting for usual September swoon.

seanpmurphy
04-21-2005, 12:30 PM
If anyone watched today's Sportscenter (why would you? I know, I know...) on April 21st the Sox "highlights" included Jermaine Dye's 2-run dong followed up by him getting caught in a pickle. Probably ESPN's attempt to say "Hey, they're still idiots" Where was Joe Crede's 3-run blast? It's not like Joey is going to be putting that many out this year, give the man his credit.

Maybe if Crede wore Blue....

Nomar injured? Kerry Wood pitching horrible in all of his starts this season? Must be that curse everyone's always talking about. :rolleyes:

Go Sox

halfpricemonday
04-21-2005, 12:36 PM
From the Daily Quickie:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/quickie

Yeah, I stopped reading the Daily Quickie, mostly because I found their point of views increasingly annoying and not worth checking every morning. Saves me a few minutes every day when I should be working.

But the final straw was when the Sox started spring training. What was the Daily Quickie's in-depth spring training preview? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was simply, "Sox: Zzzzz…"

Rocky Soprano
04-21-2005, 01:20 PM
Did Joe Crede say that quote in your sig? When? (Obviously 4/19...but was it a press conference?)

Yup, after the 4/19 game, Crede was interviewed and he said that quote in regards to Mauer.

bennyw41
04-21-2005, 01:38 PM
If the team is winning, and you are enjoying their play, why do you care what the Media "showcases?" Do you want there to be a huge conversion of Sox fans after someone is watching Sportscenter?

DaveIsHere
04-21-2005, 02:28 PM
Ok well, it is 12-4 now

rwcescato
04-21-2005, 03:54 PM
they were in trouble with Nomar being hurt. Oh, and the SOX won last nite 9-1. No mention of 1st Place, No mention of Best record in the AL 11-4, No mention of best start since 1990.

On the radio, The River, an FM 95.9 suburban station played the NaNaHey hey theme and the DJ mentioned the SOX are playing great, in 1st place, but chastised the fans for not showing up on Tuesday. Sounded like a fan, but

was the 1st place WHITE SOX Coverage? Oh, just a tiny column off to the left, no pictures either.

I just talked on am1000 a minute ago. I said I would like to talk about the other team in this town thats in 1st place. The Sox are off to a 12-4 start and all they talk about are the stupid bad luck flubs. Who cares I am so sick of them.
Rich

Bobbo35
04-21-2005, 09:53 PM

Isn't it sickening!! It absolutely blows my mind. You would think the Cub's were in the playoffs and the Sox played in Tampa Bay, it is that absurd. Daily Herald had a huge picture of NOMORE holding his crotch and then down at the bottom (small caption), Sox Win. Anytime I want some news I just come to here to get the scoop from the best damn fans in baseball.

They need to quit barfing up the same ole garbage that is overdone and take a gander at a real team, not a soap opera.

GO SOX!!!!!

Soxfest
04-21-2005, 11:31 PM
Nomar lead story on Sportcenter my gosh what overkill

JB98
04-21-2005, 11:37 PM
I just talked on am1000 a minute ago. I said I would like to talk about the other team in this town thats in 1st place. The Sox are off to a 12-4 start and all they talk about are the stupid bad luck flubs. Who cares I am so sick of them.
Rich

I heard your call. Way to go. I'm sick of Harry's whining.

I can't believe they actually talked about the possibility of Furcal being traded to the Cubs. Jesus. Anyone with half a brain in his head knows Atlanta is a better team than the Cubs and won't be dumping salary anytime soon.

jordan23ventura
04-22-2005, 01:44 AM
Come on Hangar, KW is directing the local media to keep us under the radar.

I'm looking forward to how they cover it when we sweep the jerks in the Urinal and Comiskey this year............

BTW, it's 11-4.:D:

"Cubs only six games short of sweeping South Side rivals"

or

"Sources say Guillen urinated in holy water"

jordan23ventura
04-22-2005, 01:46 AM
I heard your call. Way to go. I'm sick of Harry's whining.

I can't believe they actually talked about the possibility of Furcal being traded to the Cubs. Jesus. Anyone with half a brain in his head knows Atlanta is a better team than the Cubs and won't be dumping salary anytime soon.

Harry, strangely enough, doesn't bother me all that much. Yeah, he's a big Cub fan, but he will give the Sox props when they're due. Murph on the other hand is the most annoying turd on the radio. How he ever got a job just mystifies me.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Maximo:

One of the finest posts I have ever read. Everything flows from your first point, if the Sox win and can consistently win something of value, the other 'problems' will take care of themselves.

All they have to do is figure out how to do that first point! :smile: Which granted has been easier said then done for them.

Lip

fquaye149
04-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Maximo:

One of the finest posts I have ever read. Everything flows from your first point, if the Sox win and can consistently win something of value, the other 'problems' will take care of themselves.

All they have to do is figure out how to do that first point! :smile: Which granted has been easier said then done for them.

Lip

But what have the Cubs won?, consistently or of value? I guess they made the playoffs in 98 and 2003 but asides from that, who has consistently been better?

It all goes back to the media's slant - that we have to struggle for coverage even while we consistently outperform the other team.

why is this? A lot of reasons, but that's for another thread, perhaps.

Maximo
04-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Maximo:

Lip

Aw shucks, but thanks. You and I are about the same age, Lip, and as we have both mentioned before......time is starting to run out for us.

I am confident that there is still some time left that I will be able to attend games at the Cell, watching championship teams, with 40,000 other fans.
I just don't want somebody carrying me up and down the ramp. Knowing me, when that time comes, I'll probably bitch about not being able to get good seats, anymore.

Lip Man 1
04-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Fquaye:

The Cubs haven't won a thing...well they have made the playoffs four times since 1984 but with them it's not about winning and losing (obviously) It's about having a good time and being seen.

I can't explain it. They got lucky when the Sox went to SportsVision just slightly before Superstations became a reality, then they won in 84 and the area around Wrigley Field became the 'place to be.'

With them it's more about 'making the scene,' is the best way I can explain it. Rich Lindberg talked about these issues in his WSI Interview:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=512

Lip