PDA

View Full Version : How would Chicago embrace a White Sox World Series Victory?

chisoxfanatic
04-21-2005, 03:21 AM
Chicago's a split town when it comes to baseball. How do you think the city would embrace the White Sox if they were to win the whole thing?

(Note, I am NOT claiming they will do so this year, because I'm aware that it is very early still. This is a mere "what if" type of thread.)

hose
04-21-2005, 07:16 AM
You couldn't get enough bandwagons, Ford would have to start making them at their Chicago plant.

Parrothead
04-21-2005, 07:21 AM
You couldn't get enough bandwagons, Ford would have to start making them at their Chicago plant.

Good stuff and you are right.
:kneeslap:

mikehuff
04-21-2005, 08:23 AM
First, Chicago is not a "split-town" if you mean by that 50-50. Maybe you didn't though. It seems like it's almost 80-20 to me.

Throughout Chicago history the popularity of either team has changed. Right now the Cubs are way ahead, but their recent success may have done more harm then good. With the explosion of Cubs love in 2003, it created an unreal expectation of a team that always sucks. People are very frustrated at the way 2003 and 2004 ended.
I think that if the Sox made a huge splash this year and the Cubs dissapoint again, it could at least start to turn the tables in the Sox favor again.
It's going to happen sometime in the future and it has to start somewhere.
A World Series victory would be the thing to do that.

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Of course we all want a WS victory, but just think of the negatives. All those mud bloods following us, coming to our park and getting drunken. I dont want to imagine the sox with vulgar fans. But the positives of a WS winner exceed the negatives. The sox would finally get the respect they deserve and all those stupid cub fans would just shut the faces up. The cubs would no longer exist.

SoxFan48
04-21-2005, 08:46 AM
First, Chicago is not a "split-town" if you mean by that 50-50. Maybe you didn't though. It seems like it's almost 80-20 to me.

Throughout Chicago history the popularity of either team has changed. Right now the Cubs are way ahead, but their recent success may have done more harm then good. With the explosion of Cubs love in 2003, it created an unreal expectation of a team that always sucks. People are very frustrated at the way 2003 and 2004 ended.
I think that if the Sox made a huge splash this year and the Cubs dissapoint again, it could at least start to turn the tables in the Sox favor again.
It's going to happen sometime in the future and it has to start somewhere.
A World Series victory would be the thing to do that.

...when the White Sox were up and the Cubs down and The White Sox outdrawing the Cubs by considerable margins. The Lovable Loser tag can hold on just so long.

The Critic
04-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Well, Daley would be all over it, since he's a Sox fan.

I imagine the Governor's statement to go something like:
"Congratulations to the White Sox on their victory.....NOW IT'S THE CUBBIES' TURN!!! GO GET 'EM, CUBBIES!!!!!!"

Fake Chet Lemon
04-21-2005, 09:13 AM
The Tribune headline would be:

DUUH-STY BAKER RUNS OUT OF TOOTHPICKS, WHAT TO DO?!!!!
South Side team wins ballgame, story page 6.

chisoxfan64
04-21-2005, 09:15 AM
I work with a lot of Scrub fans, when they were in the playoffs 2 years ago and I was rooting against them they all said " why don`t you root for them, you should want any Chicago team to do well. If the sox were in it I`d root for them." I don`t want those people jumping on board, but I think we`d have a whole new group claiming to be huge Sox fans.

jdm2662
04-21-2005, 09:23 AM
I work with a lot of Scrub fans, when they were in the playoffs 2 years ago and I was rooting against them they all said " why don`t you root for them, you should want any Chicago team to do well. If the sox were in it I`d root for them." I don`t want those people jumping on board, but I think we`d have a whole new group claiming to be huge Sox fans.

This is the exact reason why I wouldn't pretend to be a big Illinois fan. Now, I have nothing against them, but I'm not really a fan of them or college hoops in general. I wasn't going to pretend to be some big Illinois fan when I was not. I wasn't rooting against them, but I didn't jump up and down and cheer when they were winning.
________
Vapor genie (http://vaporizers.net/vapor-genie)

jabrch
04-21-2005, 09:25 AM
This city LOVES a winner. Think of all the newly minted Cubs fans - who mostly don't know crap about baseball. Think of all the people who became Bulls fans in the late 80s - and couldn't tell a screen roll from a jelly roll.

If the Sox were to Win a World Series this year, this town would ERUPT with Sox fans. There wouldn't be enough seats in Comiskey Park to hold em. Grant Park would be a mob scene. It would be crazy.

Palehose13
04-21-2005, 09:33 AM
This city LOVES a winner. Think of all the newly minted Cubs fans - who mostly don't know crap about baseball. Think of all the people who became Bulls fans in the late 80s - and couldn't tell a screen roll from a jelly roll.

If the Sox were to Win a World Series this year, this town would ERUPT with Sox fans. There wouldn't be enough seats in Comiskey Park to hold em. Grant Park would be a mob scene. It would be crazy.

Yep...and I would weep like a baby (with joy b/c of the WS victory). :cool:

PatK
04-21-2005, 09:53 AM
This city LOVES a winner.

Then why are the "Lovable Losers" the darlings of the media and city in general?

White Sox Randy
04-21-2005, 10:05 AM
My guess is that if the White Sox won the World Series and it happened to rain that day, the next day's headlines would read "White Sox championship ruined by rain ".

That's how I view the Chicago media. Conversely, if the Cubs fielded a team of mass murderers led by Charlie Manson leading off and playing centerfield, the headline would be "Cubs give players second chance".

nlentz88
04-21-2005, 10:20 AM

If the Sox win the pennant, I bet Da Mayor would order the fire sirens to be sounded just like in '59.

And yes, I think a Sox WS victory would spawn a whole new generation of Sox fands and bandwagon jumpers.

Obviously die-hard Sox fans would be besides themselves with joy. As for the city's Cubs fan population, I bet most would be happy for the Sox but inwardly envious.

ewokpelts
04-21-2005, 10:37 AM
you would get a lot of bandwagon jumpers.....and there woul dbe no more "attendance sucks" threads

Gene

dickallen15
04-21-2005, 10:48 AM
The Tribune's sports headline would be "Shingo gives up another Run", and the little headline underneath would be "Sox win the World Series". Seriously, there would be more people jumping on the bandwagon than you could possibly imagine. I can't wait to see it happen.

hdog1017
04-21-2005, 11:39 AM
I think you would see alot of bandwaggon cubs fans jump ship and say that they have been sox fans all their life. I have alot of people that I work with say that used to be Sox fans in the early 90's, but now they are cub fans.

MRKARNO
04-21-2005, 11:41 AM
When it comes down to it, this city is 20% Cubs fans, 20% White Sox fans and 60% bandwagon fans. The bandwagon is at 1060 W. Addison right now, but it would move to 35th and Shields if the Sox were to get to that point.

Hangar18
04-21-2005, 11:43 AM
What would happen if the SOX won the world series?
Nothing. At least on the Medias part. They would instead lament and moan
and publish "what-if-the-cubs-won-instead" stories. Mark Giancubco
would say the Sox were lucky, and the Cubune would print out lists of Free Agents to-be and would put the propoganda machine on all cylinders.
The good thing though, you know Hizzoner, Mayor Daley would do something
spectacular for the Sox

Chez
04-21-2005, 11:50 AM
I've always felt that if you polled fans who grew up in the Chicago area, it would be pretty close to a 50/50 split. But if you polled fans who grew up elsewhere and relocated to Chicago (especially if they relocated in their 20's or 30's), it would be about 90% Cub fans and 10% Sox. That said, if the White Sox ever were to win a World Series, it would be crazy here -- but (unfortunately) not as crazy as if (God forbid) the Cubs were to win one. Not sure I could stomach that experience.

batmanZoSo
04-21-2005, 11:57 AM

I imagine the Governor's statement to go something like:
"Congratulations to the White Sox on their victory.....NOW IT'S THE CUBBIES' TURN!!! GO GET 'EM, CUBBIES!!!!!!"

Oh god, I could picture Blago saying that at a Grant Park celebration. I can see him subsequently getting his dumb ass booed all the way back to Springfield, if not beaten.

DumpJerry
04-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Mark Giancubco
would say the Sox were lucky, and the Cubune would print out lists of Free Agents to-be and would put the propoganda machine on all cylinders.
Come on Hangar, Giancubco is a tool. All I can say is he will be on his knees. I can't say anymore without risking the Roadhouse for this thread and banishment for me.

Seriously, while I will ecstatic, I will also be ready to hurl chunks because the freaks (Flub fans) will say over and over in a condenscending tone "I'm very happy for them. This is proof it's our turn next year to end the curse."

My prognosis: the media will play it up big time, everyone will be following the story closely and it will be the topic of discussions all over the northside. Oh wait, I'm sorry, I thought I was writing about how Prior's elbow will be feeling after the season ends....

Lip Man 1
04-21-2005, 12:10 PM
White Sox fans would get drunk for three days (I know I would...), Cub fans would remain in hiding for the rest of the year.

Lip

mweflen
04-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Headline: Unruly Sox fans cause Civil Unrest in City

Inset Article: William Ligue's Thoughts on Sox Fandom

Page 2: Future Hall of Famer Mark Prior Would Have Pitched No Hitter in Series

Page 10: Sox Win Series Somehow

Mariotti: Cheapskate Reinsdorf Deserves to be Hogtied and Beaten with Garden Hose for Creating Such Awful World Series Ballpark

LongLiveFisk
04-21-2005, 12:51 PM
When it comes down to it, this city is 20% Cubs fans, 20% White Sox fans and 60% bandwagon fans. The bandwagon is at 1060 W. Addison right now, but it would move to 35th and Shields if the Sox were to get to that point.

I think you're probably right about that.

Ol' No. 2
04-21-2005, 01:24 PM
When it comes down to it, this city is 20% Cubs fans, 20% White Sox fans and 60% bandwagon fans. The bandwagon is at 1060 W. Addison right now, but it would move to 35th and Shields if the Sox were to get to that point.Dead on. The die-hard Cubs fans would just crawl into a hole, but (this may be hard for us to understand) most fans aren't as rabid as we are, and easily switch to whichever team is the most popular.

soxtalker
04-21-2005, 01:45 PM
As others have suggested, I think that there'd be a huge bandwagon effect with newly minted Sox fans turning up all over the city. Think of the type of crowds we're getting on half-price days.

A more interesting question might be how the city would react if the Sox beat the Cubs in the WS.

duke of dorwood
04-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Like the Wolves Cup titles were treated. Mainly due to resentment.

jeremydavid
04-21-2005, 03:50 PM
I would be reallly curious what all the newly-minted as of 2003 Cubbies fans would do if we won it all. They can't jump ship that fast! And there is A LOT of them.

I agree with what someone said about a lot of people being SOX fans in the early 90s now being Cubs fans. I blame the strike and Sosa's steroid induced home run rage followed by almost winning something for their jumping ship.

Church Turtle
04-21-2005, 04:21 PM
I think Mr.Karno is right-on. I'm kind of interested in what would happen around where I live. Around here it's Cubs or Cardinals. I asked at a convenience store the other day why there weren't any SOX schedules on the counter, when there were two stacks of the aforementioned NL teams. The woman's reply was "Well we don't have very many fans of them around here." And I replied, "there'll be more bythe end of the season.":cool:

And Batman, Blow-Go would say exactly that, but he would use the SOX win as an excuse to remain away from Springfield for yet another 3 months.

Hangar18
04-21-2005, 04:47 PM

Mariotti: Cheapskate Reinsdorf Deserves to be Hogtied and Beaten with Garden Hose for Creating Such Awful World Series Ballpark

Greenberg & Golic would Ignore the Sox World Series Championship entirely,
saying it how unfortuneate for Baseball that the Cubs didnt make it instead,
and how Wrigley wouldve looked, and how their "long suffering" deserved it more. Golic would belch his breakfast and bagel then theyd talk Football

SpammySosa
04-21-2005, 04:59 PM
I would be reallly curious what all the newly-minted as of 2003 Cubbies fans would do if we won it all. They can't jump ship that fast! And there is A LOT of them.

I agree with what someone said about a lot of people being SOX fans in the early 90s now being Cubs fans. I blame the strike and Sosa's steroid induced home run rage followed by almost winning something for their jumping ship.

I blame a lack of personal integrity,character and loyalty.

Foulke29
04-21-2005, 05:07 PM
If the Sox win the pennant, I bet Da Mayor would order the fire sirens to be sounded just like in '59.

And yes, I think a Sox WS victory would spawn a whole new generation of Sox fands and bandwagon jumpers.

Obviously die-hard Sox fans would be besides themselves with joy. As for the city's Cubs fan population, I bet most would be happy for the Sox but inwardly envious.

Though typically, bandwagon jumpers are annoying and crappy -- some of them through curiousity and other reasons become real true fans and I'd love the Sox to adopt those...

Jerry Seinfeld
04-21-2005, 05:13 PM

Nice one. Funniest thing I've read all month.:D:

Knockoutinthepar
04-21-2005, 05:17 PM
This is the exact reason why I wouldn't pretend to be a big Illinois fan.

As a Alumni of the University, I can assure you that Illinois fans are synonymous with Cub fans. When the Cub bandwagon started up the September before last, the majority of U of I students we're right there, getting just about drunk enough to fall of the damn thing (if that's possible).

If you ever get the chance, go down there and watch a Cubs game in one of the bars on Green street. What you'll will astonish you: the Cub fans of tomorrow, packed in a sea of Old Style-drinking suburbanites and aspiring yuppies.

The scariest thing for me, was visiting a friend during the NCAA Championship game. If you can imagine the reaction that you'd get cub fans, were they to lose the World Series, you'll understand what happened down there. As soon as the game game was over, the loss declared, every student on campus must have chugged a half dozen beers and ran out into the street. They were celebrating...or something. It was difficult to understand in the context of the game till you understood that not a person on campus really gave two ****s about basketball---they were there to get drunk, get crazy, and forget.

SoxWillWin
04-21-2005, 07:07 PM
Mass cub fan suicide.

mealfred13
04-21-2005, 07:14 PM
I have a feeling there would be riots between Cub and Sox fans, leading to more media reports blaming Sox fans for being violent idiots, when in reality it's the other way around.

Other than that, I know from my own perspective, it would be the best day of my life. The Sox could go 12 and 150 the following season, and I wouldn't give a damn, and I'd still watch every game.

MRKARNO
04-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Seriously, talk to some of the casual Cub fans that you know and find out how much their interest level in the Cubs went up in 2003. You might be surprised to learn that their interest level spiked starting in that year. You also might be surprised to learn how many people in this city would cheer for any playoff team, especially a team that has a real shot at winning the World Series. Most Cubs fans are such because they either like Wrigley more or they liked seeing a winning team more over the past few years, but many don't have their allegence deeply ingrained in their identity. If the White Sox won the World Series, the middle 60% would celebrate with the diehard 20% and the city as a whole would celebrate like crazy. The Cubs fans would feel like Sox fans have in recent years.

Things may seem way out of proportion in favor of the Cubs right now, but even a memorable team team this year combined with another Cubs dissapointment could go a long way towards winning back a fair share of the middle 60%.

bludupree
04-21-2005, 09:10 PM
As a Alumni of the University, I can assure you that Illinois fans are synonymous with Cub fans. When the Cub bandwagon started up the September before last, the majority of U of I students we're right there, getting just about drunk enough to fall of the damn thing (if that's possible).

If you ever get the chance, go down there and watch a Cubs game in one of the bars on Green street. What you'll will astonish you: the Cub fans of tomorrow, packed in a sea of Old Style-drinking suburbanites and aspiring yuppies.

The scariest thing for me, was visiting a friend during the NCAA Championship game. If you can imagine the reaction that you'd get cub fans, were they to lose the World Series, you'll understand what happened down there. As soon as the game game was over, the loss declared, every student on campus must have chugged a half dozen beers and ran out into the street. They were celebrating...or something. It was difficult to understand in the context of the game till you understood that not a person on campus really gave two ****s about basketball---they were there to get drunk, get crazy, and forget. I was actually in Murphy's on Green street for the NLCS when the cubs blew it. I was there for game seven and it was completely disgusting. In the 7th inning of game 7 when the cubs where down by several runs, 300 cub fans joined arms in happiness to sing the 7th inning stretch. No one gave a sh** except a couple of those 20% cub fans who ended up fighting a couple of the 60% fans.

row18
04-21-2005, 10:36 PM
I've always felt that if you polled fans who grew up in the Chicago area, it would be pretty close to a 50/50 split. But if you polled fans who grew up elsewhere and relocated to Chicago (especially if they relocated in their 20's or 30's), it would be about 90% Cub fans and 10% Sox. That said, if the White Sox ever were to win a World Series, it would be crazy here -- but (unfortunately) not as crazy as if (God forbid) the Cubs were to win one. Not sure I could stomach that experience.

I feel the the exact same way, about those that are from the city vs transplants.

soxwon
04-21-2005, 10:45 PM
Yep...and I would weep like a baby (with joy b/c of the WS victory). :cool:

you wanna see a grown man cry?
When the sox win the series, that'll be me.

tacosalbarojas
04-21-2005, 11:29 PM
Nice one. Funniest thing I've read all month.:D:I second that emotion. I'm in tears with the funny. Great stuff here. As for me, this would be all about me and my people. We know the true SOX fans, and my reaction, I can't even imagine what it would be. The notion has seemed so far-fetched for so long, I just can't imagine how awesome it would be. Sadly, there would definitely be some - not sure if Golic and Greenberg would be among them - that would say it's a shame it wasn't the ****. We know better. We deserve better. If we ever won it all, we'd get better.

jordan23ventura
04-22-2005, 03:29 AM

I'd be so happy I could flip over a car and break some windows.

RavenswoodFan
04-22-2005, 06:45 AM
Dead on. The die-hard Cubs fans would just crawl into a hole, but (this may be hard for us to understand) most fans aren't as rabid as we are, and easily switch to whichever team is the most popular.

I agree, I have a couple of Die Hard Cub fan freinds and they openly admit that most of the yahoo's who go to Cubs games are just there for the party. I was with a group of guys last night and suddenly the Cub fans were talking nice about the SOX!
I guess losing NOMORE coupled with the way The SOX are doing is has somthing to do with it!:tongue:

SSN721
04-22-2005, 06:51 AM
I hope if anything there would be a nice WOrld Championship Party for all WSIers somewhere so we could celebrate away from the bandwagon fans that will inevitably show up. Plus I cant think of a better crowd of people I would want to celebrate such a victorwith, or who would appreciate it more.

The Racehorse
04-22-2005, 07:37 AM
I've always felt that if you polled fans who grew up in the Chicago area, it would be pretty close to a 50/50 split. But if you polled fans who grew up elsewhere and relocated to Chicago (especially if they relocated in their 20's or 30's), it would be about 90% Cub fans and 10% Sox.

I can easily see myself moving to the Chicago someday... maybe 5 years from now, maybe 15 years from now. Since I'd be a transplant, I'd be doing my part in reversing that 90/10 split. :cool:

MRKARNO
04-22-2005, 04:20 PM
Let's just say that we'd be hearing a lot of:

"I was never really a Cubs fan"

And

"I've been a White Sox fan my whole life!"

from people who have been filling the bleachers for years now.

Fenway
04-22-2005, 04:44 PM

Remember the study Comcast did last winter?

If the White Sox were in the World Series, Katie Couric would be outside Studio 5 with a White Sox hat on, and the Tribune would be grumbling at how bad Tim McCarver is on FOX.

This city is going ga-ga over the Bulls just MAKING the NBA first round after 7 years.

But you have to win a home playoff game first before you even talk about the ALCS let alone the World Series. It is hard to believe that the White Sox have lost NINE straight post season games in a row at home since Game 1 of the 59 World Series. That has to be the all time record.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=525818&postcount=1

2. Cubs huge following in NW and N suburbs and in lakefront communities. Also fans travel from entire US to see Wrigley.

3. White Sox fanbase solid in SW and W burbs and parts of Indiana. If team can advance in playoffs the Gen X crowd may shift from Cubs.

DoggPhood
04-22-2005, 04:46 PM
I'd be so happy I could flip over a car and break some windows.

That's hilarious.

DumpJerry
04-22-2005, 04:48 PM
But you have to win a home playoff game first before you even talk about the ALCS let alone the World Series. It is hard to believe that the White Sox have lost NINE straight post season games in a row at home since Game 1 of the 59 World Series. That has to be the all time record.
Careful, Fenway, be real careful. Remember where you are......

Fenway
04-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Careful, Fenway, be real careful. Remember where you are......

Hey the Red Sox had a similar record starting with Game 6 of the 86 World Series

86 WS lost last 2
88 ALCS swept 4
90 ALCS swept 4
95 ALDS swept 3

losing 13 straight games in the post season isn't easy since you are supposed to be good to be playing

Why the White Sox have not been able to win at home since 1959 just boggles the mind. ( and I bet the White Sox every single time in the post season so .... )

Black_Betsy
04-22-2005, 04:56 PM
You would have a thousands of people jumping on the bandwagon that have these things in common;

1. Have no regular interest in baseball.
2. Couldn't tell you the difference between a double-play and a double-switch.
3. Go to games to people-watch and not watch the game.
4. Think losing is loveable.
5. Are cub fans.

DumpJerry
04-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Hey the Red Sox had a similar record starting with Game 6 of the 86 World Series

86 WS lost last 2
88 ALCS swept 4
90 ALCS swept 4
95 ALDS swept 3

losing 13 straight games in the post season isn't easy since you are supposed to be good to be playing

Why the White Sox have not been able to win at home since 1959 just boggles the mind. ( and I bet the White Sox every single time in the post season so .... )
We're cursed. That's how we lose 'em all.

DannyCaterFan
04-22-2005, 05:26 PM
There would be excitement over a White Sox appearance in the World Series. The coverage would be "polite" and nothing compared to a Cub's trip there. Remember 83, when the Sox were the first team to win anything in years, there were bandwagon jumpers everywhere. Then as soon as things quieted down in 84, everybody's interest shifted to the Cub's as they won a division title. The "Core" Sox fans would truly enjoy the experience though.

Vernam
04-22-2005, 09:01 PM
My guess is that if the White Sox won the World Series and it happened to rain that day, the next day's headlines would read "White Sox championship ruined by rain ".

That's how I view the Chicago media. Conversely, if the Cubs fielded a team of mass murderers led by Charlie Manson leading off and playing centerfield, the headline would be "Cubs give players second chance".

Absolutely! It cracks me up how Dusty can't handle the local press. His bosses OWN the local media, and he thinks they're too rough on him? (I heard Stone fanned the fire today on WSCR, saying the Sox are winning because they're so well-managed, especially in contrast to the Flubs.)

Today's Ozzie-Maggs feud would be news in any case, but I think the Trib is trying extra hard to make him look buffoonish because it's useful diversion from the Cubs nightmare.

VC

halfpricemonday
04-22-2005, 09:30 PM
I've always felt that if you polled fans who grew up in the Chicago area, it would be pretty close to a 50/50 split. But if you polled fans who grew up elsewhere and relocated to Chicago (especially if they relocated in their 20's or 30's), it would be about 90% Cub fans and 10% Sox.

I'm proud to be one of those 10%! Southern California born, moved here when I was 23, Sox fan ever since. Okay, maybe I didn't become a true Sox fan until 2003. Before then, I couldn't care less about the Cubs, but after the '03 season happened and I couldn't escape being drowned in all things Cub, my apathy towards the Cubs and their typical bandwagon-jumping fans quickly turned into contempt.