PDA

View Full Version : Scotty Pods -- The Ultimate Base Robber

chisoxfanatic
04-20-2005, 11:55 PM
With a couple more bases swiped tonight, Pods is on a pace to steal 70+ bases this year, which will blow anything Ray Durham ever did for us away! I like how aggressive he is, afraid of absolutely NOTHING. He's getting the opposing pitchers to lose concentration, bolstering our offensive production.

How many bases do you think he will swipe this year?

elrod
04-20-2005, 11:58 PM
I loved the steal of third with two outs. Normally I'd hate it but he clearly realized that nobody was watching. He ended scoring on a wild pitch so the steal helped (though the next batter homered anyway).

SOX ADDICT '73
04-21-2005, 12:01 AM
I promised I would whip this out whenever Pods has a big night:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2675

And I'd love to see him swipe 75-80 this year, but with the Gooch moving him over, and Carl, Paulie, and Frank driving him in, he may not get as many chances as last year. Which, by the way, would be OK by me :D: .

EDIT: Hey, I see I finally have a "personality." I'll go and tell my wife she's been wrong all these years.

BridgePortNative
04-21-2005, 12:01 AM
I got 80+ SB this year. Amazing, he swiped a bag on Ivan on a very good throw also. This guy is gonna be huge here.

Palehose13
04-21-2005, 12:02 AM
I told you guys that you are going to love this guy and if you don't at the end of the year, I will gladly eat crow. Pods is a gamer. BTW...anyone seen what C. Lee has been doing with the Brewers? (not too much...)

chisoxfanatic
04-21-2005, 12:06 AM
I told you guys that you are going to love this guy and if you don't at the end of the year, I will gladly eat crow. Pods is a gamer. BTW...anyone seen what C. Lee has been doing with the Brewers? (not too much...)

I think this is going to go down as one of KW's biggest moves in his general managerial stint here. I didn't know much about Podsednik before his first at bat with the Sox; however, what I did know is that he had tons of speed. I didn't know he also had the ability to be a big time nuissance on opposing pitcher/catcher pairs. For this team to be Soxessful, we need him out there 5-6 games a week.

spawn
04-21-2005, 07:28 AM
I think this is going to go down as one of KW's biggest moves in his general managerial stint here. I didn't know much about Podsednik before his first at bat with the Sox; however, what I did know is that he had tons of speed. I didn't know he also had the ability to be a big time nuissance on opposing pitcher/catcher pairs. For this team to be Soxessful, we need him out there 5-6 games a week.
When I first heard about the trade, unlike most Sox fans, I was happy about it, because we also got Vizcaino in the deal as well. I knew Pods was a good aggressive baserunner, something this team has been sorely lacking the last few years. I'm a fan of CLee, but he's not the All-Star pickup for the Brewers as everyone had been saying.

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-21-2005, 07:30 AM
I like Podsednik but i hate all these nicknames "Scotty Pods" and "Scotty Po"
Def. 70+ Stolen bases this year

The Critic
04-21-2005, 07:59 AM

I think Carlos will be fine and both teams will still end up liking this trade.
I am very happy with the way Scott has played so far and Vizcaino is the steal (no pun intended, and none delivered :D: ) of this trade. He is going to be HUGE out of the pen for the Sox this year!!

Ron Karkovice
04-21-2005, 08:00 AM
I love watching Pods steal a base, I get mad sometimes when the batter makes contact with the ball as Scott is making an attempt.

Norberto7
04-21-2005, 08:28 AM
He ended scoring on a wild pitch so the steal helped (though the next batter homered anyway).

It's my opinion that this way of thinking is flawed. How do you know that home run is still going to happen? Once that base is stolen, the runner is on third instead of second. The pitcher must to some degree be cognizant of the runner's position, and therefore is in a different state of mind when the runner is at a different position. Since it is the brain that tells the arm how to throw the ball, then it seems at least likely the pitch will be different, even perhaps by a fraction of an inch, which is enough to turn that home run into a harmless fly ball.

This doesn't even take into account the possibility of different strategy once the base is stolen. The way I see it, you can't go back to an event and say if it happened a different way, everything after it would still happen in the same way.

Palehose13
04-21-2005, 08:30 AM
I think Carlos will be fine and both teams will still end up liking this trade.
I am very happy with the way Scott has played so far and Vizcaino is the steal (no pun intended, and none delivered :D: ) of this trade. He is going to be HUGE out of the pen for the Sox this year!!

I think it was a great trade for both teams also. I also believe that C. Lee will turn it around. However, if stats were reversed could you imagine the backlash on this board? :o:

I didn't know he also had the ability to be a big time nuissance on opposing pitcher/catcher pairs.

This is HUGE and often overlooked. Many times when a pitcher is overly concerned with a base runner, they tend to lose focus on pitching. At times this gives our hitters some "mistakes" to hit. :D:

Rocky Soprano
04-21-2005, 08:48 AM
This is HUGE and often overlooked. Many times when a pitcher is overly concerned with a base runner, they tend to lose focus on pitching. At times this gives our hitters some "mistakes" to hit. :D:

Exactly! I think we all remember what happened last year when Carlos Zambrano was pitching and Timo kept bluffing that he was going to steal. He got into Carlos' head so bad that he tossed a fat pitch and we all know what happened.... :bandance:

wdelaney72
04-21-2005, 08:56 AM
In C. Lee's defense, I believe he usually starts out a little slow. He'll be fine. I still like how we came out in the deal, though.

Kadafi311
04-21-2005, 09:05 AM
His line last night was almost perfect in my book: 3H / 2SB/ 2RS. Now that's a leadoff hitter.

PatK
04-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Every time he's up to bat, I tell the younguns to watch.

It doesn't matter if he even gets a hit, just watch him run. He runs out EVERYTHING hard.

And watching him on base is great. I missed seeing that kind of baseball.

Plus, I get to feel like an old man by saying "I haven't seen someone run like that since Rudy Law".

Sad
04-21-2005, 09:21 AM
Def. 70+ Stolen bases this year

yeah... and don't forget Podzilla... gak

Norberto7
04-21-2005, 09:38 AM
yeah... and don't forget Podzilla... gak

What about "Poddy"? :rolleyes:

MIgrenade
04-21-2005, 10:06 AM
but with the Gooch moving him over

Please don't call him "the gooch," it has a slang meaning that isn't too pleasant.

hdog1017
04-21-2005, 10:31 AM
Scotty is the best import from Milwaukee since Pabst Blue Ribbon.

daveeym
04-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Please don't call him "the gooch," it has a slang meaning that isn't too pleasant.Oh don't get this moved to the roadhouse.

illinibk
04-21-2005, 10:58 AM
70+ would be nice. But I am greedy, I want over 100 (and not only because he is on my fantasy team).

GregoryEtc
04-21-2005, 11:18 AM
And to go along with Crede's Crew, we now have
Pod People.

Lip Man 1
04-21-2005, 11:18 AM
Chisoxfanatic:

Just wondering...why did you mention Ray Durham?

When it comes to stolen bases with the White Sox you need to use Luis Aparicio, Rudy Law, Tim Raines or Don Buford as your benchmarks.

Lip

Iwritecode
04-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Chisoxfanatic:

When it comes to stolen bases with the White Sox you need to use Luis Aparicio, Rudy Law, Tim Raines or Don Buford as your benchmarks.

Lip

I was thinking it was because he was the last "true leadoff" guy the Sox had, not including Lofton's short stint...

OEO Magglio
04-21-2005, 11:33 AM
I think it was a great trade for both teams also. I also believe that C. Lee will turn it around. However, if stats were reversed could you imagine the backlash on this board? :o:

Something else that I think has been pretty overlooked with scott is how he has long at bats. This is important for every leadoff hitter to have long at bats and see a lot of pitches but this is especially important when the guy hitting behind you is in his first year in the majors.

Palehose13
04-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Something else that I think has been pretty overlooked with scott is how he has long at bats. This is important for every leadoff hitter to have long at bats and see a lot of pitches but this is especially important when the guy hitting behind you is in his first year in the majors.

Very true. Excellent point!

TheBull19
04-21-2005, 09:38 PM
Please don't call him "the gooch," it has a slang meaning that isn't too pleasant.

No it t'aint! It can be very pleasant. It is also the name of many distinguished academics, an NYC based art magazine, a mountain in the Appalachians, a beach in Maine, the man behind the first high speed trains in the US, a US house representative, a LB for the Bucs, a former captain of England's cricket team, and also "the Gooch" is slang for a crime boss.

Ah, the wonders of google.

chisoxfanatic
04-21-2005, 10:52 PM

Couldn't agree more. And, in the era of the "pitch count," this could force the opposing team's bullpen to be used at an earlier time in the game. We all know managers are so set on "pitch counts" in today's game.

chisoxfanatic
04-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Chisoxfanatic:

Lip

Being only 23, Raines was the one guy on that list that brings much meaning to me.

Vestigio
04-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Pod People.

What about "Pod's Posse"?

Nellie_Fox
04-21-2005, 11:13 PM
Being only 23, Raines was the one guy on that list that brings much meaning to me.Aparicio's in the Hall of Fame. I'm not old enough to have seen Ty Cobb, but I know he was a great base stealer.

danjames
04-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Pod People.

I'm still a fan of the "Pod Squad" who I saw on Opening Day supporting Scotty P.

Just has a ring to it.

chisoxfanatic
04-21-2005, 11:17 PM
Aparicio's in the Hall of Fame. I'm not old enough to have seen Ty Cobb, but I know he was a great base stealer.

I know...But Durham is the one who naturally is in my mind in that regard, so I'd think of him before Aparicio.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-21-2005, 11:48 PM
How did the writers on Diff'rent Strokes manage to avoid FCC fines back in the '80s?

Are you basing this on anything factual, or just regurgitating something you've seen a few others post?

I can remember in grade school when a bunch of kids decided that "bike" was a euphemism for a certain part of the male anatomy. Oh, how we would giggle like idiots when some poor kid would say they "got a new bike," or that they were "going bike-riding after school."

I could post that a "shingo" is some sort of deviant act involving farm animals, or that piercing your "timo" is illegal in certain states, and some people would probably believe it. It wouldn't make it any less stupid.

I suppose you'd prefer to call him "Gucci?"

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2718&stc=1

Now I find that "not too pleasant."

Nellie_Fox
04-21-2005, 11:52 PM
I suppose you'd prefer to call him "Gucci?"
Here's an idea. It's kind of novel, but I thought I'd toss it out here and see what the reaction is. How about....Iguchi!?

I know it's a radical idea.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-22-2005, 12:01 AM
I know it's a radical idea.
Not too radical, Nellie. In fact, it's the only thing I've heard Hawk call him. At least DJ has stopped confusing him with a player on the St. Louis Cardinals:

:DJ "Uh-oh! A double off of the right field wall for Taguchi!"

FarWestChicago
04-22-2005, 12:06 AM
I know...But Durham is the one who naturally is in my mind in that regard, so I'd think of him before Aparicio.Ahhh, Ray Durham. How many players have done less with their talent? How could anybody that fast have absolutely no range whatsoever? That's what I think of when the Fire Hydrant is mentioned.

hose
04-22-2005, 12:43 AM
Being only 23, Raines was the one guy on that list that brings much meaning to me.

A 23 year old Sox fan in regular baseball fan years comes to 57.5 years .

Much more is expected from a Sox fan so start boning up on your baseball history .:cool:

Nellie_Fox
04-22-2005, 12:51 AM
A 23 year old Sox fan in regular baseball fan years comes to 57.5 years .lol

mealfred13
04-22-2005, 12:55 AM
I could post that a "shingo" is some sort of deviant act involving farm animals, or that piercing your "timo" is illegal in certain states, and some people would probably believe it. It wouldn't make it any less stupid.

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

SoxFan76
04-22-2005, 01:33 AM

:whiner::whiner::whiner:

And I get offended when someone says "Mick" Jagger or "dego-T"

Who cares?!?!

DSpivack
04-22-2005, 01:36 AM
A 23 year old Sox fan in regular baseball fan years comes to 57.5 years .

Much more is expected from a Sox fan so start boning up on your baseball history .:cool:

Yeah. I mean, how many 21-year olds know who Zeke Bonura was.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-22-2005, 01:40 AM
Who cares?!?!
:whocares

"Me, that's who! But I only find The Gooch offensive because he stole my lunch money and beat up Dudley."

GregoryEtc
04-22-2005, 10:35 AM

How about chiPod...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2721