PDA

View Full Version : Bad and Good White Sox encounters!

Rudy Law
04-21-2005, 12:36 AM
Which White Sox that you had an encounter with was the biggest jerk and which one was the nicest guy?

Ill start with the positive...The nicest guy was Tim Raines. When I worked at the park I would watch batting practice and he would talk to me about everything. He even passed a ball around batting practice for everyone to sign for me. (Robin Ventura and James Baldwin were also very cool)

The biggest jerk was Carlton Fisk, I had a bad experience in which Fisk just ignored me as I was trying to talk to him, and then gave me the dirtiest look ever. I also saw several similiar encounters with young kids. Just a jerk! He was my favorite player as a kid so I was really dissapointed.

AJPosguchi
04-21-2005, 12:44 AM
Jon Garland and Paulie were both very cordial the time I spoke to them.

ARow gave a young kid a hard time at ST for wanting a ball and card signed, perhaps it was justified, dunno. I joked that he was twice as big of a fan and he shook it off.

HomeFish
04-21-2005, 12:54 AM
It's not a player, but Rafael Santana (if I remember our 2003 1B coach's name correctly) once heckled me back when I was ripping on a Sox player who had done poorly the day before. He was very much cordial about it, and it came off as a very friendly exchange.

mealfred13
04-21-2005, 01:02 AM
A friend of mine was at a Cubs/Sox game at the Urinal a couple years ago, when Foulke was going through his horrible blown-save phase prior to our trading him.

My friend yelled to him in the bullpen, saying "Hey Foulke! You'd be lucky if you got traded to the Cubs!" to which Keith responded "You'd be lucky if you ever get laid!".

My friend meant it in jest, and Foulke also said it in a joking manner. In either case, I found it pretty amusing, especially considering the pressure he must have been under at the time.

kittle42
04-21-2005, 01:12 AM
Carl Everett, for all the crap he takes, is a quality person. So is Frank Thomas.

BRDSR
04-21-2005, 01:31 AM
A friend of mine was at a Cubs/Sox game at the Urinal a couple years ago, when Foulke was going through his horrible blown-save phase prior to our trading him.

My friend yelled to him in the bullpen, saying "Hey Foulke! You'd be lucky if you got traded to the Cubs!" to which Keith responded "You'd be lucky if you ever get laid!".

My friend meant it in jest, and Foulke also said it in a joking manner. In either case, I found it pretty amusing, especially considering the pressure he must have been under at the time.

I'm laughing out loud. I'm loling. I really can imagine Foulke doing that. And thats the way heckling shoud be. When fans heckle players, they better be ready if the player heckles them back. I think that really fosters a comradarie at the ballpark, kind of like a disfunctional frat house. Which they all are. Or my dorm room. Once, three of my friends pinned me to the bed and...maybe someday you can read the rest of this post in the roadhouse.

Edit: I forgot the purpose of this thread. I haven't had too many personal encounters, but two years ago at SoxFest Joe Crede was a real cool guy. My girlfriend thinks he's God's gift to women so I got him to sign a ball to her. He asked where and everything, and then joked with me and asked if she was a blonde. I said no, and he goes "Lucky for you, I only date blondes." It was fun.

Hmm...bad experiences...when that guy who wrote a book about steroids whose name I won't profane the Clubhouse with was playing for the Sox I was sitting near the Sox dugout and a few girls wanted him to turn around while he was in the on-deck circle for a nice picture. I can understand how a player wouldn't want to be distracted and so wouldn't turn, but that guy deliberately turned away so that they could only get a shot of his back. Happened everytime he came to bat. I thought he was pretty lame about it.

pudge
04-21-2005, 02:52 AM
I met Ozzie when he was a player and he was great.

I interviewed Ken Griffey Jr. when he had the reputation of being a crabby ass, and he indeed was a crabby ass.

StockdaleForVeep
04-21-2005, 03:02 AM
Ive posted this multiple times before but my brother went to a cubs game when it was cubs\dodgers

Roger mcdowell was talkin to a bunch of good lookin girls durin pre game, hittin on em we suppose, so my brother yelled "Hey roger, hows the wife?" he replied "heh funny kid, got somethin ya want signed?" so my bro tossed him a ball, he got it back and it said "your mother, my wife-roger"

classic

Charno
04-21-2005, 03:04 AM
This girl I know (she's rather ditzy, but is very emphatic about this) claims that like 12 years ago when she was a little kid, she asked Thomas for an autograph and he said "I dont sign autographs for girls".

Was Frank that much of an ******* early in his career?:?:

batmanZoSo
04-21-2005, 05:32 AM
This girl I know (she's rather ditzy, but is very emphatic about this) claims that like 12 years ago when she was a little kid, she asked Thomas for an autograph and he said "I dont sign autographs for girls".

Was Frank that much of an ******* early in his career?:?:

I think your friend was that much of an idiot early in her career. No offense. She should apply for a job at the Tribune.

Parrothead
04-21-2005, 07:25 AM
The biggest jerk was Carlton Fisk, I had a bad experience in which Fisk just ignored me as I was trying to talk to him, and then gave me the dirtiest look ever. I also saw several similiar encounters with young kids. Just a jerk! He was my favorite player as a kid so I was really dissapointed.

Met Fisk at a bar [P.J. Flarety's (sp?)] in Evergreen Park when Jack McDowells' band VIEW was playing he was a nice guy talked to everyone who wanted. He would not sign autographs but he would talk. In his words he was there to see the band just like everyone else. Other Sox players there that night, Radinsky, McDowell, Pall, Baines and there were others but I can't remember who.

Irishsox1
04-21-2005, 08:26 AM
I've had a lot of success talking to Sox players at Sox fest. When there at Sox fest, they are a lot more willing to talk, since that's what they came for. Other than that, when I see a Sox player on the street, bar or restaurant I generally don't talk to them and I never ask for autographs. What the hell do I need a an autograph on a napkin for?

mikehuff
04-21-2005, 09:18 AM
...and I never ask for autographs. What the hell do I need a an autograph on a napkin for?

I agree. I think it's embarrasing for adults to get autographs from athletes, especially when the athelete is even younger than the guy is.

chisoxfan64
04-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Iv`e had many good encounters, I was at a block party that Ozzie and Roberto Hernandez were at and they were both great. I brought a brick from old Comiskey and they both signed it. I got many autographs as a kid at old Comiskey, Minnie Minoso, Brian Downing, Bucky F`in Dent, Bart Johnson, Chet Lemon and quite a few others. Never really had a bad encounter.

rdwj
04-21-2005, 09:36 AM
I ran into Bo Jackson at a gas station in Burr Ridge - he couldn't have been nicer.

I never saw it personally, but I have family members that were involved with Carlton Fisk politically and for school activities. I've been told he's an a-hole of the highest order.

FedEx227
04-21-2005, 09:37 AM
Joe Borchard was really nice to me at SoxFest, we were talking for quite a few minutes (maybe its because I'm the only guy who would actually talk to him)...but still! I was at 504, so I was talking to him about that, and if he is friends with Ross Gload outside of the game (long story). Genuine nice guy.

Damaso Marte/Man Soo Lee are also the other nicest guys I've met, Marte say by the bullpen for about an hour during a game and he was pretty nice we were talking about him getting back to the closers role (Koch year), and Lee is always a blast whether its asking me and my friends if we "PRAY" football like his son, or if hes giving my us signed bullpen balls.

never really met any white sox a-holes...Garland was kind of a dick when my friend asked if he could sign the ball for his sister...other then that everyone has been pretty nice.

Palehose13
04-21-2005, 09:50 AM
I have had great experiences with every Sox player I've met, except one. I was very happy when he stopped wearing #13 to give it to it's rightful owner.

BigEdWalsh
04-21-2005, 10:04 AM
Worst: Easy, Terry Bevington. Drunk, arrogant, rude and obnoxious.

Nicest: Easy, again, Tom Paciorek.Years ago, when he was an announcer, he and Hawk would stay at a resort I used to work at when the Sox played the Brewers in Milwaukee. Hawk was pretty nice, but Wimpy was exceptionally nice and talked to me a lot about the Sox and even raising kids. He was a real nice, regular guy. Oh, and he offered me free tickets to a game, which I politely turned down.

And if you wanna go way back, (to the 60's) I briefly met Tommie McCraw. He was a nice guy.

TheBull
04-21-2005, 10:38 AM
Though it hardly counts because of his short time with the Sox, Steve Sax was a decent guy to me and a buddy at the teamís hotel bar in Anaheim. He shared a ton a stories, reciprocated on some rounds and remembered us the next night when we were all back in the bar after the game.

John Rooney was at the bar both nights too. He was unbelievable. He loved to talk about the Sox and baseball history. A female groupie that paid no attention to us on the first night at the hotel bar returned the second night for more athlete trolling. It was late and most of the players had retired, so she gravitated towards our little group. On cue, Rooney stopped his story dead in his tracks and started telling the bartender that I was the young fireballer just called up from Birmingham and Rooney proceeded to interview me. Just like that I became someone in the groupieís eyes and sheís inviting me to her bar. Unfortunately there isnít a happy ending to report with the groupie, but the bartender got a kick out of it and set us up with free Guinness for our efforts.

On that same trip, I found Bevington to be a total A-hole.

ChiSoxBobette
04-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Which White Sox that you had an encounter with was the biggest jerk and which one was the nicest guy?

Ill start with the positive...The nicest guy was Tim Raines. When I worked at the park I would watch batting practice and he would talk to me about everything. He even passed a ball around batting practice for everyone to sign for me. (Robin Ventura and James Baldwin were also very cool)

Yeah Carlton back when he was still playing was a bit of an a$$hole , he did the same to me at an autogragh signing years ago, but a couple of months ago I was at an autogragh signing at the Rosemont Convention Ctr. which I went to especially for Carlton, even though he was a goof way back when, to get his autogragh on that famous photo of him after he hit that homer vs the Reds in the 1976 WS. It was amazing he spoke with almost everyone, let anyone take photos of him after he signed your item , shook hands , was smiling Carlton was great. Maybe it was just something back when he was playing but Fisk seemed to be way more approachable and happy.

Dick Allen
04-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Clearly, just like most human beings, players have their good days and their bad days. Some just more than others.

mweflen
04-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Biggest Jerk (by far): Willie Harris

Nicest (by far): Kelly Wunsch

Cool and nice: Garland, Rowand, Crede, E-Lo, Future HOF Miguel Olivo, Ozzie, PK, Baines, Cora, Howry, The Milkman

A little distant: Valentin, Magglio, Sandy (some of this may have been language?)

Iwritecode
04-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Biggest Jerk (by far): Willie Harris

Nicest (by far): Kelly Wunsch

I agree with these two completely. I never really had a personal encounter with Willie but he seems to have an air of arrogance around him. Talking on his cell phone while signing autographs at Soxfest didn't score him any points either... :mad:

Kelly Wunsch on the other hand was the best. I saw him at Soxfest in the bar. My wife and another friend were sitting and the table and they both decided that he was "cute" but were too shy to go up and talk to him. I went over and told him about and he came right over to the table and started talking with them. After they were done :redface: we got a couple of pictures with him.

He was also pretty cool at the one and only Kid's Day I took my daughters too. :cool:

TommyJohn
04-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Worst: Easy, Terry Bevington. Drunk, arrogant, rude and obnoxious.

BEVINGTON!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

Darn. Another case of Bev Rage. Sorry, guys.

TommyJohn
04-21-2005, 01:30 PM
John Rooney was at the bar both nights too. He was unbelievable. He loved to talk about the Sox and baseball history. A female groupie that paid no attention to us on the first night at the hotel bar returned the second night for more athlete trolling. It was late and most of the players had retired, so she gravitated towards our little group. On cue, Rooney stopped his story dead in his tracks and started telling the bartender that I was the young fireballer just called up from Birmingham and Rooney proceeded to interview me. Just like that I became someone in the groupieís eyes and sheís inviting me to her bar. Unfortunately there isnít a happy ending to report with the groupie, but the bartender got a kick out of it and set us up with free Guinness for our efforts.

What a great, classic story. I could see a sitcom episode about it.

:angry: :angry: BEVINGTON!!!:angry: :angry:

There I go again. Sorry.

woodenleg
04-21-2005, 01:33 PM
I think your friend was that much of an idiot early in her career. No offense. She should apply for a job at the Tribune.

Frank Thomas killed my puppy.

Rocky Soprano
04-21-2005, 02:18 PM
This past Sox Fest my brother and I were in the bar and Willie ended up right next to us. He noticed we were all decked out in Sox gear and he came up to us and actually hugged the both of us. He talked to us for a while and most of the time had his arm around us when we talked. His GF was there, and he even asked me what I thought about her.

So at least in my case Willie was REALLY cool.

Frank was very friendly when I met him.

The best in my book was Keith Foulke.

mweflen
04-21-2005, 02:43 PM
His GF was there

I think we've found why he was in an uncharacteristically non-a$$ mood.

soxrme
04-21-2005, 02:54 PM
If you ever go to spring training, Melton and Minnie Minoso are always walking around and talk to everyone. I met Billy Pierce and Nellie Fox years ago and both were great guys. Generally the Sox have always been good with the fans.

akingamongstmen
04-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Somebody mentioned that Wimpy was a great guy. I couldn't agree more. When I was about 12, my younger brother and I went to a Sox spring training game in Florida. We were watching the players arrive, but (because we're kinda weird) we were most excited to see Hawk and Wimpy. They got off of their bus, and we were the first ones there. They both laughed when we asked for their autographs (which they gave without hesitation), and Wimpy talked to us for a few minutes. He asked us what positions we played, which was the coolest feeling ever. He actually seemed to be genuinely interested in us. Great guy. :)

hdog1017
04-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Best: Belton Bill Melton

He came to the Little League park where I was playing probably about 12 years ago and signed stuff for all the teams.

Worst: Cartlon Fisk

He spoke at a caddy banquet when I was a caddy and I saw him pocket some silverware and one of those nice country club napkins.

nordhagen
04-21-2005, 05:27 PM
In the first year of the new park, we went to see McDowell play a Sunday night gig at a Lincoln Park bar and Ventura, Dan Pasqua, Scott Radinsky and a few others were there. My buddies and I were a bit bombed but they all were very cordial and nice. The girls we were with all said we were acting like a bunch of grade school kids with how excited we were to meet these guys.

On the Saturday afternoon game of the Cubs-Sox series at Wrigley in 2000, Konerko was in the Flubby Bear after the game and he was also very nice and talking to everyone even though he wasn't playing much in that series (Big Frank at 1B) and wasn't all that happy about it.

Rudy Law
04-21-2005, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=mweflen]Biggest Jerk (by far): Willie Harris

Willie Harris really......That really upsets me...I love Willie Harris...He seems like a nice guy

Whitesox029
04-21-2005, 07:54 PM
I haven't had a whole lot of experience, but when I was about 8 I was invited to do a one-day training camp type thing on the field at Comiskey with a bunch of players with a signing to follow. I still have the ball from that day but my main memories were of Robin as he was my favorite player at the time. I can't really make out most of the autographs on the ball except for Robin and Ron Karkovice, but I got Ozzie's separately on a cap. I'm also pretty sure Ed Farmer was there talking about pitching. It was a kids thing so of course they were all very nice, but the impression I get from this thread is that Oz and Robin are always like that. I see Robin as a Sox coach in the near future.

hawkjt
04-21-2005, 08:04 PM
I have talked to Willie Harris and he is a very nice guy. Accomodating,signed my son's hat at spring training. He is going to be a big contributor to the success of this team also.

pickingleaves20
04-21-2005, 08:14 PM
At SoxFest I got to eat lunch with Jon Garland and Cliff Politte. Jon's my favorite player, and I really wanted to take a picture with him, but there were only the three of us there. So, Cliff being the good hearted person that he is, played picture taker. It was pretty funny.

Everyone that walked into the room after they had finished eating thought that I personally knew Jon and Cliff. It was a good experience.

Wsoxmike59
04-21-2005, 08:57 PM
The Best: Former Sox P Tom Brennan. (partly because I work with him, but mainly because he is a really good guy, great father and husband, and personal friend of Billy Pierce, and he has some funny baseball stories from his playing days.) Joe Charbeannou (sp) and Jay Johnstone were two of the more humourous and irreverrent players

*= 2 STORIES FOR THE PRICE OF 1

My Worst Experience:* Ed Farmer at Soxfest about 5-6 years ago. Farmio was sitting at a booth at Soxfest signing autographs for whoever was stopping by. When I got up close enough I asked him if he ever received some baseball cards I had sent to him in the mail? He said he had indeed got them, and he threw them in the trash.

I said "Really?? How come?" And he said "Because you sent them to my house! That's my time pal." And I said Ed, your wrong. I sent them to the radio station (The Sox were on WMAQ at the time and I had sent them to the Merchandise Mart downtown where the parent offices were....figuring they would FW'd the mail to him at the ballpark) The radio station must've FW'd them to his house....as I had no clue as to where he lived.

Well I just rolled my eyes back and shook my head in disbelief and just walked away. I think Farmer realized he had hurt my feelings a little because at the very end of the day at Soxfest, he saw me playing Sox trivia on one of the machines that was laid out in the convention hall....and he came over and we played Sox Trivia for about 1/2 hour, chit chatting and we made our peace.

So in all actuality it also turned out to be a positive experience. And for the record.....I didn't ask him for his autograph at the trivia machine (hey I've got my pride) and I DIDN'T SEND THE CARDS TO HIS HOUSE.

My alltime Worst Experience: When I was 12 I went to a Sox-Angels twi night DH with my little league team courtesy of our fine and generous manager, a kind gentleman by the name of Mr. Mega.

I went for a walk with one of my teammates and we had gotten 1/2 way around the lower deck bowl down near the old Sox bullpen. The game was on but I noticed Tom Egan stood up after warming up a Pitcher and he started signing a couple of quick autographs. I was a BIG autograph hound at that time, so I quickly ran down to the Bullpen wall and asked Tom Egan to sign my program.

Well, my manners then weren't quite what they are now. In retrospect I see the error of my ways....but Tom Egan pushed me down and said something to the effect of "Hey wait your turn!"

I hit the ground hard.....right on my ass......stunned and embarassed, I got right up and shouted right at his face....I HOPE YOU STRIKE OUT YOU BIG FAT ASS!!!! Which got some laughter out of the people seated right in the area!!!

I ran and high tailed it out of there....and the teammate of mine asked me "what the hell was that all about??" We had a good laugh about it the rest of the night, and when we finally finished our "excellent adventure" around Comiskey Park and returned to where the rest of the team was seated, boy did we have a great story to tell.......

Wsoxmike59 got knocked on his keyster by Tom Egan......LOL

skobabe8
04-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Though it hardly counts because of his short time with the Sox, Steve Sax was a decent guy to me and a buddy at the teamís hotel bar in Anaheim. He shared a ton a stories, reciprocated on some rounds and remembered us the next night when we were all back in the bar after the game.

My vote for best story! Love Rooney!! :thumbsup:

tacosalbarojas
04-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Best experience came early in the '99 season. I was flying to NYC for my buddy's wedding (convienently scheduled around a SOX/Yankee series) and wound up on the same flight as Chris Singleton whose wife had just delievered their first child, which is why he was flying alone commercially. I think I was the first person that ever recognized him, but he was incredible. He was genuine in his conversation and wound up leaving me great seats behind home plate for the Sunday game at the Stadium. He was always a prince whenever I saw him around the yard after that encounter too. Needless to say, I was happy to see him back in the bigs this year with Tampa.

As my screen name indicates I also have a connection to Salome. I was a bit on the young side when I met him - during the season he lived in a little third floor apt. in Berwyn, but he seemed pretty down-to-earth.

Can't really think of a terrible experience, but hey they're just ballplayers, and they're entitled to their bad days too, I suppose. Excepting Bev, of course.

cubhater
04-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Coolest player....Lamar Johnson. I met him as a teenager in Sarasota during spring training in the late '70s and he invited me onto the field during practices and played catch with me in foul territory. A couple years later when my mom and I visited Chicago during the season, I called out to him as the players took the field. He came over, remembered us, invited me into the clubhouse where I met all the players, and let me shag balls in the outfield during the rest of the homestand, not to mention taking a few swings in the batting cage! About eight years ago when I found out he was Milwaukee's hitting coach, I was one of the first through the turnstiles and asked him to come over because I had some pics of him. Lamar's jaw nearly hit the ground when he saw pics of us from 20 years earlier. He still remembered my mother's name and mine after all the years and we chatted for a few minutes before he threw batting practice.

I've never had a bad experience with Sox players but I'm sure they have their unfriendly sides like everyone has at times.

ChiSoxRowand
04-21-2005, 09:54 PM
Man Soo Lee always signs autographs. Probably more than any player.

jordan23ventura
04-22-2005, 02:27 AM
Best: Belton Bill Melton

He came to the Little League park where I was playing probably about 12 years ago and signed stuff for all the teams.

Worst: Cartlon Fisk

He spoke at a caddy banquet when I was a caddy and I saw him pocket some silverware and one of those nice country club napkins.

LOL!!!! That's awesome!

bobelou72
04-23-2005, 06:12 PM
Yea Melton is really cool I saw him a couple of years ago at a Kids day he was very friendly we talk for a few minutes. my kids got Kelly Wunch's autograph and they said he was cool. At the same kids day Royce clanton was their and he was all upset because he didn't have a chair to sit on while he was signing so some one had to bring him a stool Must be because he got so tired from hitting the ball so much

Jurr
04-23-2005, 06:37 PM

Foulke's absolutely AWESOME!! In '98, I would always show up early to the park and get him to sign my program. The joke we had going, though, was that I would keep bringing the same program, and I'd keep getting him to sign the same picture in different spots. He ended up having to sign other people's faces. He was absolutely hilarious, and it was fun just to go down there and shoot the bull with him for a few minutes. Before games, he was always extremely accessible, and he was a lot of fun to joke around with.

OKCidiot
04-23-2005, 07:56 PM
During the last few years of old Comiskey Park, a group of us used to sit right above the Sox bullpen and gab with all the relievers. I remember when Barry Jones first came to the team, he emerged out from under the bullpen and jokingly told us, "I've been instructed not to talk to you people!" and the rest of the bullpen all laughed. Barry pretty much ended up talking with us the most, and if I happened to miss a few games he would ask me "Where've you been?" I also got a great picture of him in the bullpen on Turn Back The Clock day, and in that uniform he looked like he had just stepped out of 1910. I later had an 8 X 10 made and he autographed it for me (by that time he was with the Expos, and he had just pitched against the Cubs, with the Expos winning the game). Those were fun days, sitting above the bullpen and gabbing away with Donn Pall, Thiggy, Ken Patterson, Wayne Edwards and the rest.

soxfanreggie
04-23-2005, 09:03 PM
Big Frank, Robin, Thigpen, Hawk, Paciorek, DJ...so many players and others have been so awesome to me over the years...however one person stands out as the jerk...

Carlton Fisk. As a player, yes he was good. But he was an absolute jerk.

Frank the Tank
04-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Carlton Fisk. As a player, yes he was good. But he was an absolute jerk.

Carlton Fisk A jerk, C'mon.... The guy has dedicated himself to improving poorly maintained little league baseball fields.

pudge
04-23-2005, 11:44 PM
Those were fun days, sitting above the bullpen and gabbing away with Donn Pall, Thiggy, Ken Patterson, Wayne Edwards and the rest.

I just shed a tear anytime anyone mentions the 1990 team.

Viva Medias B's
04-24-2005, 12:07 AM
One good encounter I had was with Anakin Ordonez, before he became Magglio Vader. At a SoxFest, I went down the Hyatt elevator on the way to the 5:15 Mass at Holy Name Cathedral. In the elevator was Ordonez, Carlos Lee, and their wives. I greeted Ordonez & Co., and we chatted on the way down to the ground floor. I go to Mass at Holy Name and return to the Hyatt. When I catch the ground floor elevator, guess who gets on with me: Ordonez & Co. He sees me with the Holy Name bulletin in my hand and remembers me from the earlier elevator ride. That was really cool. And later that night in the atrium bar, he makes a brief appearance. I tell him something like "This time we don't meet in the elevator," and Magglio joyfully laughs as if he knew that's where he saw me before.

Unfortunately, the Magglio I met in the elevator that night is no longer with us in more ways than one.

The worst encounter? Well, I never really had one. I guess I could mention the most recent SoxFest and Willie Harris. Like all of us in the atrium bar, we were all getting very drinky. I go to the restroom to empty out the bladder, and I encounter Harris and some groupies (?) after I exit the restroom. He and I make eye contact. Harris says something odd to my face which I cannot remember because, admittedly, I was too overserved to remember. But the immediate thought in my mind about Willie was "What an ass!" Of course, both nights of SoxFest, Willie was boozin' and smokin' in the atrium bar. The latter was not a positive impression for me.

ChiSoxGirl
04-24-2005, 12:45 AM
Good Encounters: Definitely Kelly Wunsch & Aaron Rowand. Both of those guys are just so friendly & down-to-earth it's ridiculous! :smile: If we're going back in the day, Robin Ventura, without question. He was my all-time favorite ballplayer and I miss him so much!

Two great Kelly Wunsch stories.... At SoxFest 2004, I was having a conversation with Kelly, telling him how great I thought it was for him to voluntarily come down to the bar and hang out with the fans. He was like, "After all you guys come out to the ballpark and support us all season long, I think this is the least we can do for you. Besides, you're great people to hang out with." He was also later telling me how he'd only been inked to a one-year deal, and that I should organize a "Save Kelly Wunsch" petition and send it in to Reinsdorf upon obtaining the signatures. If only I would've taken him seriously that night!

My other Wunsch story goes back to SoxFest 2003 when we were in the Hyatt bar and he was having a great time with the Rowands and Credes. It was nearing 1a and his wife, Jessica was getting tired, so she got her overserved husband to say his goodbyes and head on up to their room. But before leaving the bar, he realized he couldn't take his glass of Guinness with him, so he saw me and was like, "Hey girl. Wanna finish my Guinness?" and gave me the rest of his beer! Too funny! :D:

Rowand is just an all-around great, friendly guy. He'll happily take pictures with you at SoxFest and hold conversations with the fans. My two girl friends and I nearly had him buying us a round at SoxFest '04, but he got distracted because of how overserved he was. :wink:

Bad Encounters: This isn't necessarily a "bad" encounter, but Paul Konerko has been kind of standoffish at SoxFest- almost like it's a chore to him. However, to his credit, at SoxFest this year, he was more friendly with the fans and seemed happier than usual to be partaking in that weekend. He also put on a hitting clinic at SoxFest, something he'd never done before, and that seemed to "break the ice," if you will. He was very receptive to questions at the clinic, and I'm proud to say I knocked his socks off with an intelligent question about hit swing. When listening to my question, he looked at me as though he was thinking, "is this question really coming from a woman?!" I was quite proud that Sunday!

Jon Garland kinda seems like he's doing you a favor most of the time by signing an autograph or taking a picture with you, but I think that could just be his laid-back, SoCal boy nature.

I can't think of a specific player who was downright mean to me, which is a good thing.

Krpjr
04-24-2005, 02:46 AM
First post everyone. I posted this ramble on ESPN a few weeks ago in response to one's 5 favorite Sox players.

It's tough for me to narrow it down to 5, because I have different ways of rating them.

On the field:

1)Frank Thomas
2)Magglio Ordonez
3)Harold Baines
4)Carlos May (I was a kid!)
5)Jerry Dybzinski (just kidding!) Richie Allen

Off the field:

1) Rich Dotson: Spent about an hour in a Milwaukee bar in 1986 talking to me, when the drinking age in Wisconsin was still 19. Really down to Earth, only clammed up when I asked about Lamarr Hoyt's drug problems. You could tell he liked the guy, and really was disappointed about the turn his life took.

2) Luis Alvarado (2B early 70's): When I was little, my parents would take me down by the old Comiskey player's lot after every game we attended. Luis was so nice to me (I was 6 or 7) at a May game, and later in the year, circa August, we saw him down there again. He actually remembered my name! Class act who made a little kid's year!

3) Mike Proly: Talked to my cousin and I for 15-20 minutes about baseball and other crap along the 3rd base wall at old Comiskey before a game. He just seemed like a guy who knew how much it meant to us to have a semi-intelligent converstaion with a Major League player.

4) Tie Bobby Thigpen, Steve Lyons, and Russ Morman. The same night I hung out with Dotson, I shared a few pitchers with these guys. They were cool, but Thigpen, in particular, was very unsure of himself. It was, I believe, the first time he was called up, and seemed to think he wasn't worthy. Psycho and Morman had no ego either. They were guys that wondered what they'd be doing tomorrow. Despite the obvious nervousness about establishing their careers, they treated an idiotic Sox fan who was hanging out with them very well.

5)Bo Jackson - My ex-wife and I were in Baltimore for the whole series in 1991 when Wilson Alvarez pitched his no-hitter. After the Sunday no-hitter, we went down to the Sox bus. Bo was extremely nice, not just to us, but everyone. It was amazing how a guy (for you youngsters, Bo was a huge advertising star back then) who was in such a physical struggle was kind and upbeat. I was so happy that he got to hit the division clinching HR in '93!

Not so favorite!

1) Brian Downing - My cousin and I were taken by our parents to Milwaukee for a game. I believe this was in 1976, because it was the year we got Hank Aaron's autograph. Anyway, we were early enough to get a bunch of autographs along the walls. We made it down next to the Sox dugout(understand we were 9 and 10). Brian Downing was in the dugout taking swings at air. We leaned over and asked him to sign our programs. He said, "Get the **** out of here, I'm trying to get ready for the game!" If you know anything about Brian Downing's strength, you might think this was 'roid rage! What an A-hole!

2) Bill Dawley and John Cangelosi - Same night as Dotson, etc. in Milwaukee. I know, I haven't had a lot of brushes with baseball fame, but these guys were pathetic. I walked by them, recognized them, and said I was a big fan of the Sox. Bill Dawley(BIG guy!)insulted me to impress the little ****** around them (don't remember the exact words). Cangelosi laughed like a miniature puppet! I thought it would be appropriate to lift him onto Dawley's knee! About 45 minutes later, I was in the same area getting a pitcher from the bar. Dawley was gone. Cangelosi remembered me and said "You're a Sox fan! Have a Tequilla shot with me!." I said no thanks and turned my back to him. It was just hillarious how he was willing to be nice, once his 6'7'' ignorant friend left. It proved to make Cangelosi more idiotic when he did lime, tequilla, then salt. The weasel couldn't even get drunk in the right order!

3) Same night - Ozzie Guillen, Luis Salazar, and Ivan Calderon. I offered to buy them a drink and was given the "no ingles" crap. Dotson later told me they were full of **** and used that to ignore fans. He didn't seem to like them much!

Sorry to ramble! Just WSox player memories I wanted to share!

I just love the dancin banana!

:bandance:

Krpjr
04-24-2005, 02:49 AM
Also, I don't know what he's like now, but I talked to Frank a couple of times in '93 when he came into Bud's Sports Bar on 75th in Downers Grove to play video games. He was very cordial.

Chrisaway
04-24-2005, 02:51 AM
Good-Tim Raines is one of the nicest guys ever to wear a Sox uniform. We talked baseball and he signed a card for me.

Not so good-At the young age of 11 Alex Fernandez refused to sign my ball even though he signed everyone elses stuff.

Layla
04-24-2005, 12:56 PM
Hi - first post for me.

Not so nice player was Bobby Molinaro - anyone remember him? Back in the early 80's he just started yelling at a fan who was cheering for him.

Nice - I was fortunate enough to meet many players during the early 80's. Every single one I had spoken with was nice and friendly. Always willing to sign for kids.

D. TODD
04-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Ray Durham's wife was nice in Atlanta before the Sox played them a couple of years ago. I was standing in a beer line when a good looking little blond tapped me on the shoulder and wanted to thank me for supporting her husband. I do not know a soul in Georgia, so I"m sure I looked baffled, she then went on to say she always sees Frank Thomas jerseys and it was nice to see me wearing her husbands jersey, I'm Ray Durham's wife. So, i said it was nice to meet her, and I appreciate how Ray plays. She left with a big smile, it was an odd but nice little exchange.

D. TODD
04-24-2005, 01:40 PM
The other chance meeting I had was downright funny to me. After the last game of the year in Kansas City two years ago while checking in the airport I noticed Tom Gordan having his bag checked. I mentioned to my girlfriend that's Tom Gordan. She wanted to get an autograph for her nephew and politely walked up and said excuse me to the man standing next to Gordan. When the guy turned around I noticed it was Carl Everett. She said excuse me aren't you Tom Gordan and Carl Everett promptly blurted out "AW Hell no". Gordan signed her hat and and they both were getting a good chuckle about it . I was laughing too and told her the guy you asked to move was on the all-star team this year, you're nephew might like his autograph as well. I told them both good year, and I hope they both returned next season. Carl signed the hat, they said thanks and went on their way, but Carl's reaction to being passed up for Flash Gordan was classic.