PDA

View Full Version : Shingo's confidence

Evman5
04-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Guillen talked to Takatsu on the flight from Chicago to Detroit on Tuesday night, expressing those exact sentiments.

"It was a great conversation," Guillen said. "Right now, I talked to Coop (pitching coach Don Cooper) and the bullpen people, and whoever throws the ball the best will be the closer.

"I didn't lose confidence in him. It's just a situation where I have to win games. He understood and he was cool with that. But I'm going to give him the best chance to get it back again."

link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050420&content_id=1023020&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

There is also a funny quote about Shingo joking that his struggles have come from eating too many cheeseburgers. I am not really concerned with Shingo. He is going through his struggles, but I think it mostly because his control is off right now. I also think Ozzie is doing the right thing by pulling him if he isn't getting the job done. After all the only stat that truly matters is getting the "W." It's good to see that Shingo is remaining upbeat and I think things will turn around for him soon.

elrod
04-20-2005, 10:38 PM
I'm glad to see Shingo taking it in stride. He's just not in sync right now but he'll get there. Thankfully we have a deep bullpen that can help us through at this point.

mike squires
04-20-2005, 10:46 PM
I'm glad to see Shingo taking it in stride. He's just not in sync right now but he'll get there. Thankfully we have a deep bullpen that can help us through at this point.

So how are the Sox communicating with guys like Shingo and iguchi. I assume they have translators???

DickAllen72
04-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Shingo seems like a great guy and he's proven to be a great pitcher when he has his control. I know he'll be back in good form before too long.

Go Shingo! :gulp:

brewcrew/chisox
04-20-2005, 10:49 PM
I think what is also important to consider is that Shingo is from Japan; a culture that places strong emphasis on community and the individual doing what is best for everyone involved. This may be important because if he can't close, the Sox will still continue to need him, most likely as a specialty pitcher to get out a batter or two. Shingo comes from a place where Ego is set aside and working together to achieve a goal is the at the forefront. If anything, it will serve as a model for a few others on that team who may have to sit from time to time during their own 'lean' days.

Evman5
04-20-2005, 11:05 PM
This team is reminding me more and more of the Chicago Bulls team from this year. I am glad they are all buying into the team concept. Kenny and Ozzie have obviously brought in their guys and identified the players that will play the game the right way. It is a pleasure to watch and I hope they can keep it up!

soxfanreggie
04-20-2005, 11:45 PM
It's good that Shingo isn't one of those "me first" relievers where he has to be the closer. I'm sure Shingo would do great as a 7th-8th inning guy and would always think team-first.

Palehose13
04-20-2005, 11:52 PM
It's good that Shingo isn't one of those "me first" relievers where he has to be the closer. I'm sure Shingo would do great as a 7th-8th inning guy and would always think team-first.

Exactly. To be honest, I was a little worried about "Japanese pride", but from the cheeseburger comment made by Shingo, it seems that he is cool with the situation and wants the best for the team.

**sorry for the horrid run-on. ph13 is a little too drinky right now. :D:

rdwj
04-21-2005, 08:44 AM
I think they're doing the right thing with Shingo - his control just isn't there right now. I'm glad Ozzie ket him on a short leash and pulled him when he goot into trouble. While that may hurt his confidence a little, getting hammered and blowing saves would completely destroy it.

Shingo will be back - I'd bet on it

Schmitz33
04-21-2005, 10:20 AM
I personaly think we are wasting time with Shingo. If he can play a dominate roll then its great, but if he cant then we are throwing away experince to a 37 year old pitcher.

ondafarm
04-21-2005, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't worry about Shigo's confidence for a couple of reasons.

First, he's THRILLED just to be playing baseball for an American Major League team.

Second, he's not doing too badly and getting the ball is still the best way a manager can say "I have confidence in you."

Third, he's always had difficult early seasons. It's based on simple physics.

Explanation follows:
If a pitcher throws consitently 95-98 mph then the air temperature doesn't matter much, the seams on the ball doesn't generate much frictional force of rotation compared to the forward velocity. The ball doesn't move that much. A 93 mph slider moves just an inch or two differently than a 97 mph fastball whether the air temperature is in the 40s (F) or in the 90s. The 1 inch movement in the 40s, the two inch movement in the 90s. The difficulty is hitting a 90 something mph pitch in the first place.

But if a pitcher (like Shingo) throws in the 50-60 mph range then the expected movement is more like 6 to 8 inches. A 55 mph frisbee is supposed to move laterally 8 inches different than an 85 mph fastball. And it will if the temperature is in the 90s. If the temperature is in the 40s then the movement difference is more like 3 or 4 inches. Major league hitters can adjust to 3 inches but 7 inches is a lot harder to adjust to.

In short, when the weather heats up, so will Shingo's deadly arsenal. Last year, we were fooling around with Koch until when, May? By May Shingo will be deadly again.

mdep524
04-21-2005, 10:40 AM
I personaly think we are wasting time with Shingo. If he can play a dominate roll then its great, but if he cant then we are throwing away experince to a 37 year old pitcher. :?:

Evman5
04-21-2005, 02:50 PM
No problems today for Shingo. 1-2-3 inning baby.

He's Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

:supernana::bandance::supernana::bandance::superna na::bandance::supernana::bandance::supernana:

jeremydavid
04-21-2005, 03:00 PM
I personaly think we are wasting time with Shingo. If he can play a dominate roll then its great, but if he cant then we are throwing away experince to a 37 year old pitcher.

If Shingo or anyone can help us win they will play. Should we just take the ball from El Duque or Contreas and give it to McCarthy because their old and not dominating? Winning is everything.

Experience is great if your the Royals.

kevingrt
04-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Great 9th by Shingo today. If his confidence was down after giving up all those HR's this afternoon should have helped his confidence regardless if it was against the Tiggers. I would love to see him keep on coming out in the 9th.

Evman5
04-21-2005, 04:27 PM
``I'm just glad I was able to finish out the game,'' he said through an interpreter. ``I can tell how Ozzie feels about me, so it makes me that much more satisfied when I go out there and finish the game. I could tell how happy he was.''

I love the way Ozzie is handling the situation.

SOXSINCE'70
04-21-2005, 04:39 PM
No problems today for Shingo. 1-2-3 inning baby.

He's Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

:supernana::bandance::supernana::bandance::superna na::bandance::supernana::bandance::supernana:

Let's just see that a few more times before Sox
fans can dance in the streets.Consistency is what a Sox fan
should be looking for.He's on his way back.A few more 1-2-3
innings and Sox fans can start to celebrate "shingotime"
again.

DoggPhood
04-21-2005, 04:51 PM
So they said this guy was a clubhouse cancer. Well, seems like he's one of those good types of cancer. Gets along well with the staff as a whole, so it seems.

Also, after Shingo got the 1-2-3 save today, he came up and put his arm around him and pinched the back of his neck in a playful way.

Evman5
04-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Let's just see that a few more times before Sox
fans can dance in the streets.Consistency is what a Sox fan
should be looking for.He's on his way back.A few more 1-2-3
innings and Sox fans can start to celebrate "shingotime"
again.

I wasn't totally serious haha. But it was nice to see an easy 1-2-3 inning.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-21-2005, 07:52 PM
every pitcher has rough spots. I still wear my "Domo arigato shigo takatsu" shirt with pride. Yeah brotha