PDA

View Full Version : Garland stat

mcfish
04-20-2005, 08:13 PM
I heard Farmer say just before the 3rd inning today that Jon Garland is 42-4 with a 3.something ERA when getting at least 3 runs of support in 66 games. Is this actually true? If so, that's pretty darn good for a fifth starter. Let's make sure to give him good run support!

Schmitz33
04-20-2005, 08:34 PM
I heard Farmer say just before the 3rd inning today that Jon Garland is 42-4 with a 3.something ERA when getting at least 3 runs of support in 66 games. Is this actually true? If so, that's pretty darn good for a fifth starter. Let's make sure to give him good run support!

Thats a great stat. I think Garland will be fine as the 5th starter. I think that if we need to worry about anyone it might be Contreras or Hernandez.

fusillirob1983
04-20-2005, 09:34 PM
I think El Duque will be solid as long as he's healthy. If you asked any of my friends at school, they'd be able to tell you I'm tolerant of Garland and Joe Crede (both of whom had nice games today), but get pretty frustrated with Contreras. Jose's the one I'm worried about.

batmanZoSo
04-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Thats a great stat. I think Garland will be fine as the 5th starter. I think that if we need to worry about anyone it might be Contreras or Hernandez.

Exactly. I don't look at him as a 5th starter right now. To me it's Contreras, he's the only one without a win and has pitched the worst (still not bad at 3.63). 1-5 are just numbers. The important thing is that all of them stay healthy.

jabrch
04-20-2005, 09:38 PM
We have 5 starters - all of whom can go out there and deliver quality starts on a regular basis. We don't have to go into every 5th game knowing that we will need 5+ innings from our pen. On some days everyone will be off. But this pitching staff, 1-5, is as solid as any in the AL. Mark and Freddy are a great 1/2 punch. The Cubans are fine at 3/4. Garland is as good as anyone else's 5th starter.

This could be a wonderful pitching staff IF they stay healthy.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-20-2005, 10:20 PM
Contreras, he's the only one without a win
http://i.cnn.net/si/images/baseball/mlb/players/7255.jpg

"Ahem...uh...yeah...sorry 'bout that, big guy."

Acid
04-20-2005, 11:14 PM
I was suprised to see Garland had 42 wins period, go Jonny and thank for the great game tonight.

SoxxoS
04-20-2005, 11:19 PM
This could be a wonderful pitching staff IF they stay healthy.

And we actually have a capable backup in...BMAC...See how fun this season is going to be....:bandance:

batmanZoSo
04-20-2005, 11:21 PM
http://i.cnn.net/si/images/baseball/mlb/players/7255.jpg

"Ahem...uh...yeah...sorry 'bout that, big guy."

Hey a closer getting a lot of wins is never a good sign. See Koch '02.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Hey a closer getting a lot of wins is never a good sign. See Koch '02.
I think you missed my point, batman. If Shingo doesn't throw BP to the Indians on April 7th, Contreras gets that win.

TDog
04-21-2005, 01:49 AM
What? Garland is a 3-0 No. 5 starter with an ERA of 2.57 and Santana is a 3-0 No. 2 starter with an ERA of 4.32? I think Santana's beaten Seattle, Detroit and the Sox while Garland has beaten Seattle, Detroit and the Twinks, so it's not a fair comparison.

I generally don't believe in putting numbers on starting pitchers. A team has an ace. The best teams have two or three. (Cubs fans seem to think they have at least four.) When the Sox had only four starting pitchers and ran a fifth guy out there, fans could complain about the fifth starter. That is no longer an issue. I won't judge Garland a fifth starter. It isn't as if he goes against the last guy in the other team's rotation every time out. Sometimes he goes up against Radke.

I hope Garland keeps it up.

chisoxfanatic
04-21-2005, 01:57 AM
I won't judge Garland a fifth starter. It isn't as if he goes against the last guy in the other team's rotation every time out. Sometimes he goes up against Radke.

Ya know, if this keeps up, we should bench Garland and get Billy Koch to start for us!!! :D:

I wouldn't either. I judge the TRUE 5th starter as the one I'd least likely want in a playoff situation. If Garland can keep his poise up, I'd hope he would be moved up in the rotation when the scheduling allows for it.

BeerHandle
04-21-2005, 09:36 AM
This is a good stat as well:

Garland is 5-0 in his last five starts, dating to last year

mcfish
04-21-2005, 11:12 AM
What? Garland is a 3-0 No. 5 starter with an ERA of 2.57 and Santana is a 3-0 No. 2 starter with an ERA of 4.32? I think Santana's beaten Seattle, Detroit and the Sox while Garland has beaten Seattle, Detroit and the Twinks, so it's not a fair comparison.

I generally don't believe in putting numbers on starting pitchers. A team has an ace. The best teams have two or three. (Cubs fans seem to think they have at least four.) When the Sox had only four starting pitchers and ran a fifth guy out there, fans could complain about the fifth starter. That is no longer an issue. I won't judge Garland a fifth starter. It isn't as if he goes against the last guy in the other team's rotation every time out. Sometimes he goes up against Radke.

I hope Garland keeps it up.I'll clarify then: 43-4 when given 3+ runs of support is pretty darn good for Garland. I was very surprised by the stat because I wouldn't have thought he had performed that well over the years. It would seem from those numbers that almost any time he is given a legitimate chance he performs. Given that I know Garland has many losses, it appears that the Sox offense has put up 2 or less runs far too many times when Garland is pitching.