PDA

View Full Version : 2005 mlb draft supplemental picks

chaerulez
04-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Are the White Sox eligible for getting a compensation pick for Mags signing with Detroit? I heard because he wasn't offered arbitration, the Sox aren't going to get anything...

jabrch
04-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Are the White Sox eligible for getting a compensation pick for Mags signing with Detroit? I heard because he wasn't offered arbitration, the Sox aren't going to get anything...

We will get nothing...and that's a better deal than the one the Tigers negotiated for themselves.

Iwritecode
04-20-2005, 12:25 PM

The Tigers aren't getting much more than the Sox are and are paying a lot more for it...

jabrch
04-20-2005, 12:37 PM
I'm glad KW didn't collapse under the pressure of some die-hard Greedy-O fans and the morons in the media and pay 12mm+ for him. Think about that...12mm is Duque, AJ, Hermansen AND ANOTHER 4MM somewhere.

Signing Greedy-O to a contract that he wanted would have crippled this team for years to come.

Kudos to you Kenny - way to do the right thing.

Randar68
04-20-2005, 01:18 PM

The Sox, who usually have a couple of Supplemental picks each year, are not receiving any for this June's draft. In addition, the Sox lose their second round pick for signing El Duque because their first pick was protected (Sox pick 15th and the top 15 picks are protected from FA compensation).

Hopefully they use that pick to draft a signability guy and fork over the money they are saving by not having a 2nd rounder. Either that, or sign some of the mid round signability guys who fell from the top 2-3 rounds like Anaheim and a couple others did last year.

Wes Hodges would have looked mighty good in a Sox uniform right about now (drafted 2 years ago and is tearing the cover off the ball for Georgia Tech)...

jabrch
04-20-2005, 02:49 PM
Hopefully they use that pick to draft a signability guy and fork over the money they are saving by not having a 2nd rounder. Either that, or sign some of the mid round signability guys who fell from the top 2-3 rounds like Anaheim and a couple others did last year.

I'd love to see that. Draft a Stephen Drew/Jered Weaver type. I'd also like to look at a HS kid like Butler or Plouffe were this year who could someday be a SS here - 3-4 years down the road.

Randar68
04-20-2005, 02:53 PM
I'd love to see that. Draft a Stephen Drew/Jered Weaver type. I'd also like to look at a HS kid like Butler or Plouffe were this year who could someday be a SS here - 3-4 years down the road.

Meet Robert Valido.

Seriously, though, I would love to see them draft a Weaver. Someone who could help within 12 months of signing. I'm not convinced he's worth as much as he has asked for, but we'll see. I still doubt we'll see them draft a Boras client. The Rangers or a team like the Yankees will probably pick them up and pay them. JMO.

As free with money as the Angels were last draft, still can't believe they haven't payed Weaver.

It's more likely they use that money in the round 3-10 range, but I'd still love to see them do something bold. (insert comments on my lack of use of deeppink)