PDA

View Full Version : Home run derby

mike squires
04-20-2005, 08:57 AM
How do they determine who will be in the homerun derby for the all star game? I'd like to see Konerko in it again. He gave it a good run a few years ago. Where is it at this year anyway?

Kogs35
04-20-2005, 11:17 AM
How do they determine who will be in the homerun derby for the all star game? I'd like to see Konerko in it again. He gave it a good run a few years ago. Where is it at this year anyway?

i prob not want paulie back in HRD because it screwed up his swing in 2002 for the rest of the season. the all star game is in detroit

RKMeibalane
04-20-2005, 11:19 AM

The MLB invites players who rank amonst the league leaders in home runs at the time of the AS Break. If players turn down the invitation, then others are selected as replacements. This season's AS Game is Comerica Park in Detroit.

I would actually prefer that Konerko doesn't participate. The same goes for Frank Thomas, Carl Everett, and any other member of the Sox who has a chance of being selected. Frank himself said that the 'Derby "messes up his swing." 1995 was the last time Thomas took part in the event, and he said that for weeks after that, he kept popping out because he'd developed a slight uppercut in his swing. That's not the sort of the thing the Sox need to happen.

mike squires
04-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Big Frank popping up, huh? Was there a home run derby I missed before the 2000 playoffs with Big hurt??? :D:

MIgrenade
04-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Home Run Derby in Detroit ought to be lots of fun.

SOXSINCE'70
04-20-2005, 01:26 PM
i prob not want paulie back in HRD because it screwed up his swing in 2002 for the rest of the season. the all star game is in detroit

IIRC,he fractured a bone in his plant foot in the HRD.
This led to a quiet second half in 2002 and a horrible
2003 campaign.STAY AWAY,PAUL!!

TDog
04-21-2005, 02:46 AM
Big Frank popping up, huh? Was there a home run derby I missed before the 2000 playoffs with Big hurt??? :D:

With seats down the in the leftfield corner for both home games, I saw a lot of underside of the balls Thomas hit in the 2000 playoffs. I was going to post the same thing without the smiley.

I hope he gets another chance, though.

ewokpelts
04-21-2005, 11:05 AM
they are usually asked to participate after all star selections are made...palmeiro was the first one NOT to an all star the year he was in the HRD.

Gene

chaz171
04-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Wonder if Maggs can swing from his wheelchair

harwar
04-21-2005, 11:48 AM

The one that was held in pittsburg was great with the Big Hurt really putting on a show by hitting a bomb way up into the top deck in left.
As a salute,they painted the seat a different color.
For years before they tore it down,when i saw the stadium on tv it was a fond memory,because i was at that game.
He also hit one during the game,i believe.