PDA

View Full Version : ESPN and AP still cant get stats right!!

GiveMeSox
04-20-2005, 01:01 AM
Although this is a little off the map it still ticks me off that the biggest sports reporting in the country cant get little things right. From this article on espn.com, http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=250419104, it says attendance tonite was 18,310, or 38.9% full. By a simple porportion we can find out just what is max capacity then, (18,310 / .389) = ( capacity / 1.0). By cross mutiplying the equation and solving for capacity that yields about 47,069 as the current capacity of the cell. WRONG!!!!! That number is from pre 2001 figures, we all know capacity is around 40,000 or so now. That means if capacity is 40,000 then it should really say the park was 45.7 % full.

I know its just nit picking here, but something like that really gets under my skin. 45 % full looks a lot better than 38% and especially is someone is looking up attendance data and attendance history and sees lower numbers than they actually are they get a false view of the sox and our attendance. No wonder there is always a big to do about our attendance, if no one can get it right in the media then no one will see the right numbers.