PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle/Garcia vs. Santana/Radke

VivaOzzie
04-19-2005, 11:45 PM
A good question that was brought up briefly in another thread...

IMO...two 8-9's are better than a 10 and a 7 (being generous).

EDIT: oh yeah, and I forgot the 'H' in Buehrle. Cant figure out how to fix it. My apologies to Mark...I find his name hard to type every time I write it!!:tongue:

OEO Magglio
04-19-2005, 11:47 PM
This is a tough question, I'll stick with Mark and Freddy but it's a pretty good debate imo. Santana's the best out of the bunch but Mark and Freddy are the 2nd and 3rd best, it could definitely go either way but I got to stick with our guys here.

NWSox
04-19-2005, 11:49 PM
I'd take Santana/Radke only because we've seen what they can do down the stretch two seasons in a row. I'd like to think Buehrle and Garcia will perform like that this season, but we'll have to wait and see.

Chisox003
04-20-2005, 12:03 AM
Give me Santana + Anybody.

That guy is unfair, even when hes not on...Hes on

Buehrle and Garcia are both better than Radke, and an outstanding if not one of the best 1, 2 punches in baseball

Its El Duque, Contreras, and Garland vs Mays, Silva, Lohse (Mullholland maybe? :rolleyes: ) that are going to decide this division though :tongue:

WhiteSoxFan84
04-20-2005, 01:24 AM
If you ask this question anywhere else than here on a WHITE SOX message board, I think the two Twins hurlers would win it 60/40.

In all honesty, as a die hard Sox fan, I'm not sold on Freddy Garcia. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that B-Rad-ke is better than him, but he's not worse either.

If I were to rate all 4 guys a 1-10 with 10 being the best, here's how it would go...

Santana: 9.5 (only thing keeping him from being a 10 is longevity, a few more years will either make him a 10 or drop him to a 9 or worse)
Buehrle: 9.0 (ranges anywhere between a 8-10)
Radke: 8.0 (He can be as high as a 9 at times, but he's overmatched as a # 2 and would be more suited as a # 3 or even a # 4)
Garcia: 8.0 (Freddy is a 9.5 at times and maybe even a 10. but his inconsistency and occasional struggles even against bad teams make me question if he really can be a # 2 pitcher on a playoff team)

so in the end, if not a push, id give this one to the Twins by a margin of a point.

Banix12
04-20-2005, 01:34 AM
If I were given an option of Santana/Buehrle then I would jump at it.

Right now Santana is the best pitcher in all of baseball so I have to pick the option that has him in it. Buehrle and Garcia are fine pitchers and are a very potent 1-2 punch in their own right. But Santana/Radke beats those two just because Santana is in it. Radke is no slouch either and in no way a drain on a team. So the twins starters win the competition.

However we are the ones who lead the season series 4 games to 1 so who cares what they have. :D:

SoxxoS
04-20-2005, 01:44 AM
Give me Buehrle and Garcia by a tiny bit. Buehle is a stud and should garner much more media attention (maybe this year is the year) and Garcia is a great #2 and a marginal #1. He isn't taylor made to pitch at the Cell, but few are.

I think Radke is the #3 in our rotation. So if you rank it-

A+ Santana
A- Buehrle
A- Garcia
B Bradke

Got to go with the Sox.

batmanZoSo
04-20-2005, 01:52 AM
Radke's a pretty damn overrated pitcher. This is a career 4.23 guy who basically only looks great against us. And we've already beaten him twice this year. He's a good pitcher, a 4 at best in a great rotation.

162 game averages:

Radke: 13-12 4.23
Santana: 12-5 3.47

Buehrle: 15-10 3.76
Garcia: 15-9 3.94

I'll ignore Santana's low win average because he just broke out and he did a lot of relief his first three years. Still I'd probably take our guys if the rest of the rotation stays exactly the same. Of course if you give me Santana, Radke and the opportunity to go out and get another guy to be the number two ahead of Radke, then I'd go with the evil tandem.

VivaOzzie
04-20-2005, 02:04 AM
162 game averages:

Radke: 13-12 4.23
Santana: 12-5 3.47

Buehrle: 15-10 3.76
Garcia: 15-9 3.94

Great info. I thought Radke wasnt as good as he is made out to be. The reason why Id take our guys over them is that Id rather have 2 pretty damn good pitchers (Buehrle IMO not far behind Santana), than 1 sweet pitcher and 1 above-average pitcher. Especially with the sort of team that we are putting together this year. It is much more consistent.

ma_deuce
04-20-2005, 09:42 AM
You mean I have to take Badke in order to get Santana? Bummer.

Deuce

WhiteSoxFan84
04-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Radke's a pretty damn overrated pitcher. This is a career 4.23 guy who basically only looks great against us.

Hasn't walked a single batter in the last 77 1/3 innings vs. the White Sox.

That's just amazing.

voodoochile
04-20-2005, 11:57 AM
Buehrle isn't that big of a step down from Santana and maybe headed for a breakout season. I go with the Sox pitchers partially because I am biased and partially because I much prefer Garcia to Radke.

MRKARNO
04-20-2005, 12:13 PM
I'll take the Sox front two. I think Buehrle is barely a step down from Santana and Garcia is better than Bradke by a small amount. Buehrle is the most fun to watch of the whole bunch though, so that breaks the tie.

batmanZoSo
04-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Hasn't walked a single batter in the last 77 1/3 innings vs. the White Sox.

That's just amazing.

That's fantastic, but he must be getting hit. We're not exactly a walking bunch anyway if you know what I mean...

Jerome
04-20-2005, 03:54 PM
I would rather have their top two just b/c Santana. But 1-5 our rotation is better.

mjharrison72
04-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Have to admit I'm torn here, but I voted Buehrle... I'd rather have the consistency than what I perceive as a possible flash in the pan with Santana. I really tried to look at it objectively... Santana is nasty, and I think Radke is just a great pitcher. Really a toss-up, but I just think Buehrle is SO underrated.

Ol' No. 2
04-20-2005, 04:43 PM
I'd call it pretty much a draw as far as regular season goes. But if you're talking playoff baseball, that's different. In a 7 game series, the #1 can pitch 3 times while the #2 pitches twice. So if you weight the #1 more heavily, you'd have to go with Santana/Radke. But this also assumes they pitch pretty much the way they did last year. Who knows how they'll pitch this year?

NonetheLoaiza
04-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Santana is a monster, but I feel Radke is a bit overrated. Being a biased Sox fan, I would rather have Buehrle and Garcia than Santana and Radke. Although this is a tough and good question to be analyzed.

MRKARNO
04-20-2005, 05:35 PM
I'd call it pretty much a draw as far as regular season goes. But if you're talking playoff baseball, that's different. In a 7 game series, the #1 can pitch 3 times while the #2 pitches twice. So if you weight the #1 more heavily, you'd have to go with Santana/Radke. But this also assumes they pitch pretty much the way they did last year. Who knows how they'll pitch this year?

You're also forgetting the fatigue factor. Despite the fact that Buehrle throws a lot of innings during the regular season, he didnt throw that many more pitches than those who threw only 200 (compared with his 245.1). Also, I would count on Buehrle being able to maintain the energy level and arm strength through the playoffs.