PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday's Tribune

SOXPHILE
04-20-2005, 12:15 AM
Wednesday morning, the front page of the sports section of the Trib will feature:

A) A huge, full color picture of Mark Prior with the headline PRIOR SHUTS
THEM DOWN, and 2 Cub stories on the front page along with it, along
with an article on the Bulls clinching home court in the first round,
placed at either the top or along the bottom, and in the bottom right
hand corner- "Sox Sneak by Twins" -page 4

B) The Bulls getting the bulk of the front page, along with a slightly
subdued Cub article on their win, complete with a small color photo of
Prior, and again "Sox sneak by Twins" -page 4

C) The Sox and Bulls taking up the front page, with the Cubs regulated to
page 4......oh who am I kidding ?

Jerome
04-20-2005, 12:39 AM
I assume option B. If anything but Ben Gordon is on the front page, there is going to be problems. (Meaning I will be mad/do nothing/post on this same forum about how mad I am.)

koch44
04-20-2005, 10:14 AM
Today's Tribune Sports section breakdown:

Sox: 2 cover stories, 1 cover picture, 2 other stories, 5 other pictures, and the Sox bits section.

Bulls: 1 cover story, 1 big cover picture, 2 other stories, and 1 other picture, and Bull bits.

Flubs: 1 cover story, 1 other story, 1 other picture, and Cubs bits.

I was somewhat surprised to say the least.:gulp:

shoota
04-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Today's Tribune Sports section breakdown:

Sox: 2 cover stories, 1 cover picture, 2 other stories, 5 other pictures, and the Sox bits section.

Bulls: 1 cover story, 1 big cover picture, 2 other stories, and 1 other picture, and Bull bits.

Flubs: 1 cover story, 1 other story, 1 other picture, and Cubs bits.

I was somewhat surprised to say the least.:gulp:

But the Cubune decided to put the beginnings of all three teams' articles above the fold, with Deron Williams going pro news at the bottom. Usually it's the Sox who are buried in that part of the page. That's where the Cubs should have been. The Williams column and the Cubs column should have been reversed.

Anyone else notice Gail Fisher in the background of the Bulls front page picture? I noticed her before I noticed the intended subjects of the photo: Gordon and Chandler. But perhaps that was because she was finally showing a bit of her often turtleneck-strangled cleavage.

maurice
04-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Today's Sun-Times was solid:
- Benedict XVI gets the entire cover
- Bulls get most of the back cover with small pic of Konerko and Sox / cubs captions
- No baseball coverage until page 7 . . . all Sox
- Sox also get about 60% of page 8
- cubs get all of page 9 and parts fo the next 2 pages
The Hangar, etc. campaign must have taken a toll on the fomerly shameless editors.

My bigger concern is the persistently nonsensical nature of the Trib's coverage. The Buehrle v. Wood / Prior bit at the end of today's sports section was assinine: "Wood is as good as Buehrle, even though he wins less, because they have about the same ERA." ***? That had to be intentional propaganda. There's no way that they're just ignorant of the fact that Wood's ERA would be MUCH higher (and K total much lower) if he pitched in the AL. "Prior's one good season and one bad season is the equivalent of Buerhle's several consecutive good seasons." Huh? They couldn't possibly be THAT unqualified to write about MLB, could they?

Brian26
04-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Anyone else notice Gail Fisher in the background of the Bulls front page picture?

Yeah, I noticed her too. But the Chandler/Gordon thing is a complete ripoff of Frank/Robin 7/31/91. :D: