PDA

View Full Version : going to baseball games alone

jake27
04-19-2005, 11:58 PM
i got offered a ticket to todays brew crew game and went, even tho i was by mysef. felt kinda weird, but i still had fun. just seeing, does ne1 else here go to games alone (mabye so i feel like less of a dork :tongue: ). do you feel weird going by myself or do u not care. kinda a dumb thread by eh...

HomeFish
04-20-2005, 12:02 AM
I went to opening day solo, and it wasn't much of a problem. I sat next to some cool guys, and we had a lot of fun with the Cub fans sitting behind us. Or at the Cub fans, rather.

chisoxmike
04-20-2005, 12:10 AM
I dont mind going to games by myself, I usually make a zero-hour decision when I do, if I have nothing to do, and have some money to spend I'll usually head over to the game, you can get a pretty good seat too when you fly solo.

BigEdWalsh
04-20-2005, 12:10 AM
I used to a lot in my college days. It always did seem a little weird. But, I always had a great time nonetheless. Even sat practically right next to Harry Caray one time when he did a game from the centerfield bleachers.

Palehose Pete
04-20-2005, 12:13 AM
I went by myself to the Monday game this week. No one I knew could go to the game and I thought that it would be such a waste to not watch the Twins and Sox in such great weather. I wandered around the park before the game and enjoyed the sights, sounds and smells. My seats were near some cool people and we had a good time talking about the game. I love going to see the Sox so much that going by myself isn't really an issue.

CHISOXFAN13
04-20-2005, 12:25 AM
I decided at the last minute to walk up to the park today and go by myself. Would have been upset if I didn't.

skobabe8
04-20-2005, 12:32 AM
Put me on the list! I've gone to 2 or 3 games by myself, if I have nothing else better to do and no one else can go, why not? Is it not cool? ITS NOT COOL TO BE A SOX FAN IN THE FIRST PLACE (supposedly) SO WHATS THE DIFFERENCE? dont worry what other people think. learn that and live a happy life.

NWSox
04-20-2005, 12:42 AM
It's actually rather relaxing to go alone. You don't have to worry about making conversation. You can focus on the game. I feel the same way about going to the movies.

batmanZoSo
04-20-2005, 12:44 AM
i got offered a ticket to todays brew crew game and went, even tho i was by mysef. felt kinda weird, but i still had fun. just seeing, does ne1 else here go to games alone (mabye so i feel like less of a dork :tongue: ). do you feel weird going by myself or do u not care. kinda a dumb thread by eh...

I did one time, last year. I got the tickets 40 minutes before the game and couldn't find a soul to go with me. It pretty much sucked. Couldn't find anyone cool to talk to...one of those moronic Monday night drunken hillbilly crowds.

popilius
04-20-2005, 01:54 AM
I usually go to about 20 games a year, and probably about 5 or 6 games alone. I usually go alone when there's bad weather. I don't mind walking up to the park and sitting in cold and rain and snow to watch my team play.

:gulp:

doublem23
04-20-2005, 01:58 AM
I've personally never gone to a game alone myself (everytime, even spur of the moment things, I can at least find 1 person willing to catch a game), but I wouldn't feel that weird if I did. Baseball is baseball.

ewokpelts
04-20-2005, 02:02 AM
i have done that for sox/bulls games, as well as movies...while different, it can be fun.

Gene

SoxxoS
04-20-2005, 02:09 AM
I enjoy alone time immensely. I have never been to a Sox game alone before, but when I purchase season tickets in the near future, I probably will be headed alone occasionally. I would rather watch the game than talk to my friend that I have known for 18 years and know everything about him. Getting elbowed and saying "look at that chick" gets old after the #4,308,528 time.:D:

TomC727
04-20-2005, 08:09 AM
I love going by myself sometimes

mike squires
04-20-2005, 08:44 AM
I'm a small town boy and I'm a puss when it comes to driving in the city. I could probably get myslef though but I'd hate the post game traffic. I wouldn't mind going by myself though. I used to go to the movies all the time by myself and loved it.

SOXintheBURGH
04-20-2005, 09:39 AM
I go to movies alone a lot (Saw Sin City three times now, once with gf and twice without her).. Never been to a baseball game alone, but if I was bored or walking by I used to go to a lot of Penn State sporting events solo.. wrestling meets, hockey games, soccer games, etc.

wdelaney72
04-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Anyone who has kids, will easily agree that going alone is highly UNDERRATED. Three years ago I tried this, and I now make it a point to do this at least once a year.

There's nothing more relaxing than a beautful, sunny evening alone watching a baseball game. I've never found anything so relaxing.

Procol Harum
04-20-2005, 10:23 AM
I hang with the general consensus--it seems weird in some ways, but the game experience itself is a lot more relaxing and baseball-focused than when I have to worry about chit-chatting with the wife or friends and/or worrying about how long before I have to shove churros or Lemon Freezes into my young'n's....when I go alone I only worry about shoving them into me!:bandance:

JoseCanseco6969
04-20-2005, 10:38 AM
I've only been to one game alone and that was last year at the Urinal for the sox vs cubs series. I bought it the week of the game off ebay when I couldnt get anyone to muster up enough $$ for a pair. It wasnt too bad except the damn game didnt get past the 6th inning! You all remember that rainout. I was surrounded by Cubs fans, and they were actually pretty nice to me. They were typical though when they told me, "Yeah we just got these season tickets cause they were good last year." I had to hold in my laughter. :D:

voodoochile
04-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Yes, especially the season I had a partial plan - most of my friends are flubbie fans, so they didn't want to go that often. Baseball is fun and the fans at the park are cool. Heck a couple of times, I ran into Hangar or Wilkes or Steff and didn't even have to "sit alone" even though I went to the game solo.

chisoxfan64
04-20-2005, 11:03 AM
I have gone to many games myself. I enjoy watching the Sox no matter if I`m alone or with friends. Most of the times I do go alone I usually run into someone I know or meet some good Sox fans.

ND_Sox_Fan
04-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Count me in on this. I have been to 5 games so far this year, and three of them alone. I went to about 5 by myself last year too. I enjoy it very much. I can arrive and leave when I want (I have never left early even with others there), sit where I want, drink what I want, and not have to worry about anyone else.

Last night was great - I had two open seats on either side of me, and got to spread out and relax.

The Racehorse
04-20-2005, 11:21 AM
I got offered a ticket to todays brew crew game and went, even though I was by myself. Felt kinda weird, but I still had fun. Just seeing, does anyone else here go to games alone?

All the time. :cool:

voodoochile
04-20-2005, 11:26 AM
You know, it strikes me that some of you locals could use this thread to find other fans to sit with if you wanted to, all you need to do is arrange a meeting place and time and you could be sitting with other WSI'ers.

I live in NC or I would be glad to sit with each and/or everyone of you and talk some baseball and scream myself horse for the Sox...

Baby Fisk
04-20-2005, 11:41 AM
most of my friends are flubbie fans, so they didn't want to go that often..
You need new friends. :cool:

I've been to games alone many times and agree with all the good points mentioned in this thread. Being a misanthropic loner helps too.

Iwritecode
04-20-2005, 11:43 AM
I live in NC or I would be glad to sit with each and/or everyone of you and talk some baseball and scream myself horse for the Sox...

Quit making excuses.

:)

pinwheels3530
04-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Anyone who has kids, will easily agree that going alone is highly UNDERRATED. Three years ago I tried this, and I now make it a point to do this at least once a year.

There's nothing more relaxing than a beautful, sunny evening alone watching a baseball game. I've never found anything so relaxing.

How true!

itsnotrequired
04-20-2005, 12:08 PM
You need new friends. :cool:

I've been to games alone many times and agree with all the good points mentioned in this thread. Being a misanthropic loner helps too.

BURN!!! I've been slowly converting friends into Sox fans. Most of my pals (including myself) currently live on the north side and became casual Cubs fans by default. After witnessing the antics of many of their "fans" as well as all the traffic nightmares, littering, etc. around Wrigley they are starting to move over to the Sox. At least you can get a ticket to a game. The only ones I'm not converting are the folks who grew up as Cubs fans in the nearby suburbs.

I haven't gone to a solo game yet but wouldn't mind it. I was envious at points on Monday's game seeing a couple lone souls in the upper deck just enjoying a game. A little too much drunken nonsense in the lower deck at times.

Brian26
04-20-2005, 12:21 PM
I enjoy going to games no matter alone or with someone, but I admit that I usually get more into the game when I'm alone. When your with someone, there's a lot of conversation about what's happening, so you may miss some plays, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I went to the game on Saturday and sat in the upper deck and kept score by myself...it was incredibly relaxing. It's so easy to lose yourself in the game that way.

billnahorodny
04-20-2005, 12:27 PM
I've gone to a couple of games alone when I couldn't find anyone else to go. But this is another reason why the Cell is such a great place. If you feel like talking to someone and there's no one interesting sitting near you, you can just head up to the fan deck and catch the rest of the game from there...great view, casual seating/standing and plenty of people around :cool:

brewcrew/chisox
04-20-2005, 12:30 PM
I've been to a few games alone; I'm a teacher so when there is a day game in the summer and my friends are at work, I'll make a point of it to buy a ticket and a scorecard and sit in the sun. I used to go out to the Urinal during the day when the Brewcrew were in town; I used to be able to walk up and buy a single ticket, but now that they sell all of their tickets to their broker firm, I haven't been back.

AZChiSoxFan
04-20-2005, 12:37 PM
It's actually rather relaxing to go alone. You don't have to worry about making conversation. You can focus on the game. I feel the same way about going to the movies.

Totally agree. When I go alone, I take headphones to listen to the game and I keep score. I feel like I'm much more "into the game" than I am when I go with someone.

wdelaney72
04-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Lemon Freezes into my young'n's

Absolutely! One Lemon Chill is almost three innings of entertainment for a 3-4 yr old. Two of those and I was able to relax and watch almost an entire game. It was a beautiful day.

C-Dawg
04-20-2005, 01:20 PM
I don't mind going alone as long as it doesn't turn into a super-crowded section; if it gets too crowded I will sometimes move back a few rows to leave some space around me.

The most interesting game I went to alone was last June when I decided to sit on the fan deck and Ken Williams and Maggs came and sat right in front of me, maybe one seat offset to my left. They were, I assume, talking money and eventually they grew quiet and left after just a few innings. I was kicking myself for not taking my camera since being alone I had a lot of skeptics when I got back and told everyone.

tacosalbarojas
04-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Count me in as well. As others have mentioned, it's the best way for me to really get into the game in full concentration mode. Time with self doesn't make you weird. Now doing it the point of saturation...say you go to 50 games a year by yourself...that's weird!

LauraJ14
04-20-2005, 01:55 PM
I went to several weeknight games during the summer of 2003 alone and had a fine time. I did get some questions from people around me since I was a female at a baseball game by myself, people weren't used to seeing that I guess. I normally go to the weekend games with my sister, we have all of our meaningful conversation in the car and in the parking lot before the game. She keeps score and is not one for talking all game long which is fine with me. I can enjoy the game better that way.

Norberto7
04-20-2005, 11:42 PM
I post on this board by myself. Does that count?

I've never been to a game by myself. I probably should try it sometime. I think it would be strange for me, I would probably end up sitting in an empty section because I'm generally not too social with strangers. I think I'll always prefer someone to cheer with, laugh at the weirdos, etc....to each his own!

Frankfan4life
04-20-2005, 11:46 PM
You know, it strikes me that some of you locals could use this thread to find other fans to sit with if you wanted to, all you need to do is arrange a meeting place and time and you could be sitting with other WSI'ers.

I live in NC or I would be glad to sit with each and/or everyone of you and talk some baseball and scream myself horse for the Sox...I usually go to 12 to 14 Sox games a year, but since I broke up with my boyfriend last year, I haven't been to a Sox game this year because I really don't want to go alone. I'll probably take my gandson to a few games on the weekends. But, I wouldn't mind finding someone to go with me if they don't mind going with an older woman. I live in the West Loop.

spongyfungy
04-21-2005, 01:19 AM
I went to a quite a few White Sox games by myself throughout my high school and college years. Just took the red line down. I'd have to explain to my mom when I got home around midnight (since I lived on the north side)

I went to the Florida-Expos game by myself at the Cell. For me it's embarrasing if a bunch of friends spot you at the park when you're alone. But that marlins game was on a whim.

SoxxoS
04-21-2005, 02:43 AM
Don't you guys like going to games with your girlfriends always asking you stupid questions like "do you love the Sox more than me?"

The Critic
04-21-2005, 08:44 AM

This is the way I feel, too.
I like not having to worry about anyone's schedule but mine. It's way easier and stress-free.
I also like going to concerts alone, except it gets a little boring during the changeover between bands.
When I go to a game alone, I just bring something to read between innings and it's all good.

harwar
04-21-2005, 11:40 AM
My daughter & friends usually use my season tickets these days because of my failing health,but as a kid i'd go alone quite a bit.
I grew up close to Comiskey and it was so cheap back then to just jump on the cta and wander around what was usually a mostly empty park.

whitesoxwilkes
04-21-2005, 12:18 PM
I love going to games alone. Me, my walkman, my scorebook and a whole lotta beer.

I have even gone to a few games at The Urinal by myself.

jeremydavid
04-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Don't you guys like going to games with your girlfriends always asking you stupid questions like "do you love the Sox more than me?"

Yesterday me and the gf saw Fever Pitch. The Red Sox romantic comedy which wasn't bad or that cheesy amazingly. She obviously knows I am a WHITE Sox fan but she doesn't know anything about baseball beside that when it is she can lay next to me all she wants it is NOT cuddle time. Anyway, she thought the RED Sox in the movie were fictional and made up as parody of my SOX. Needless to say. :o:

Realist
04-21-2005, 10:36 PM
I try to go to at least one game a year alone. For awhile it seemed I had a tradition of going alone to see the Mariners throttle the Sox. It was starting to get comical. I was at that Cameron game a few years ago.

If the game starts to get outta hand I'll wander around and snoop a bit in the Hall of Fame Gift Shop.

Then again, it's tough to feel alone at a Sox game. I either usually run into a few people that I know, or I feel like I'm surrounded by a whole lot of people that have an inside shot at being a new friend.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-22-2005, 12:59 AM
did it once, felt odd. but why should it?

DSpivack
04-22-2005, 02:47 AM
I worked the past two summers in deli section of the Treasure Island on Clybourn [Lincoln Park: Ech]. Quite often I would take the El down a couple stops after getting off work at 5, walk around downtown with my headphones on, grab a quick bite to eat, then get back on the El and arrive at Sox Park just before 7.

It didn't feel weird at all; sure, a little lonely, but sparked conversations with neighbors quite a few times.

Baby Fisk
04-22-2005, 10:58 AM
I love going to games alone. Me, my walkman, my scorebook and a whole lotta beer.

I have even gone to a few games at The Urinal by myself.
BARTMAN!!!!! :o:

tebman
04-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Then again, it's tough to feel alone at a Sox game. I either usually run into a few people that I know, or I feel like I'm surrounded by a whole lot of people that have an inside shot at being a new friend.
Absolutely agree. I've gone to a lot of games alone over the years and always felt like I was among friends. And while I enjoy the company of someone else to go with me, whether my family or my friends, I appreciate being able to just focus on the game and fill in my scorecard.

ondafarm
04-22-2005, 11:23 AM
I used to go by myself all the time. For one year I actually had one season ticket for the Durham Bulls. My buddy, a former teammate and at that time scout for a Japanese organization, could get me in the scout section when he came to town (roughly once every two weeks) if I had the season ticket that is.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-24-2005, 02:29 AM
If nobody from my regular crew can go, I never thought to go alone. Hell, why not? I wonder how many times WSI'rs have gone solo and other solo WSI'rs were in attendance? In a perfect scenario, we would agree to try and buy in the same section number when we go solo, and try to meet up for a beer.

Chrisaway
04-24-2005, 02:47 AM
Ive been to one game alone (Sox/Royals 2003) and actually had a pretty good time. I was behind home plate and had good conversation with the other fans in the area. I'd do it again.

C-Dawg
04-24-2005, 07:56 AM
If nobody from my regular crew can go, I never thought to go alone. Hell, why not? I wonder how many times WSI'rs have gone solo and other solo WSI'rs were in attendance? In a perfect scenario, we would agree to try and buy in the same section number when we go solo, and try to meet up for a beer.

Or if we already have tickets, we could just designate some convenient spot for a meet, such as by the Comiskey statue. Heck it would be a good spot for WSI'rs to meet in groups, too. How's that sound, everybody? We all go to so many games, we could have a long-running meeting place for every game at the statue, say, at the end of a certain inning. There's been a few peeps here I'd spring for a beer for too.

JB98
04-24-2005, 12:58 PM
I go to about 20 games a year, and I'm usually alone for about half of them. I have a really boring group of friends. Most of them are married, and as a result, they've become homebodies. If I have a choice between watching the game alone at the park and watching the game alone on my couch, I'll choose going to the park every time. If I get up on a Sunday morning and see that the weather is nice, I can make an impulse decision to go to the game. That's one of the cool things about being a bachelor. You don't have to answer to anybody. :D:

StuForumStuCazzo
04-24-2005, 02:13 PM
I just don't have any friends

Wsoxmike59
04-24-2005, 05:17 PM
I go to roughly 15 games a year, and sometimes I'll just feel like going out to the park all by myself. Sometimes I'll meet up with Soxwon and sit with him, or I bump into some members of the Sox Fans On Deck fan club I belong to.

The best game I went to solo last year was an early season game in April vs Tampa Bay and the Sox staged a big comeback in the 9th with a big PH by Morris' IL very own Kelly Dransfeldt. That was a really exciting game!

Speaking of exciting games......Today's sweep of K.C. was an exciting Win......

15-4 bab-eee!!!! Na na na na....Na na na na....Hey Hey!!
:bandance:

bigfoot
04-24-2005, 06:18 PM
Over the years, I've been to hundreds of Sox games. I've never attended a game alone. There's always thousands of friends at the game. That's the beauty of being a Sox fan, you're never alone.

C-Dawg
04-24-2005, 08:41 PM
I have a really boring group of friends. Most of them are married, and as a result, they've become homebodies.

I've noticed that too. It seems that just about everyone I used to go to Comiskey with in the 90s has gotten married, and now it almost takes an epic struggle to break them free for one ball game, and of course it has to be scheduled two months in advance, and is still likely to be cancelled based on the whims of the wife that day. Oh, well, like JB98 I am single and can go whenever I want.

DaveIsHere
04-24-2005, 09:00 PM
I've noticed that too. It seems that just about everyone I used to go to Comiskey with in the 90s has gotten married, and now it almost takes an epic struggle to break them free for one ball game, and of course it has to be scheduled two months in advance, and is still likely to be cancelled based on the whims of the wife that day. Oh, well, like JB98 I am single and can go whenever I want.

Nonsense, the wife is always up for a game, we are usually tracking down bodies to go.

We love our Sox, and will be going a lot this year, she screams at the players more than I do

JB98
04-25-2005, 01:18 AM

I have one friend who I swear has to form a committee to study the feasibility of attending a game every time I ask him to go. It takes at least two weeks to get an answer out of him. I think his wife is a Cubs fan and hates the Sox, so that probably doesn't help matters.

MrRoboto83
04-25-2005, 02:07 AM

This is a really great idea!! Or we could start a thread for most games on where to meet other WSI people. I go to a few games alone every year, it is very relaxing, but would love the chance to meet some WSI Sox fans, when I take in a game by myself!! :gulp: first rounds on me!!