PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4/19/05 Sweep the Twinkees Postgame.

Brian26
04-19-2005, 10:44 PM
Did anyone see Crede score on the sacrifice fly to left? He came in LOOKING to take out the catcher. He almost missed the plate he was so intent on taking out Mauer. He was 3 feet inside the line when he finally turned at the last moment and went across the plate. I love it.

NSSoxFan
04-19-2005, 10:46 PM
:sweep :notwinks

GO SOX

Where are the Crede haters????

MrRoboto83
04-19-2005, 10:47 PM
10-4 yes!! Shingo i'm worried

mcfish
YES! :bandance::bandance::D:

itsnotrequired
Bust out the brooms!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Jerry Seinfeld
Joe looked like he wanted to destroy Mauer on that sac fly.:rolleyes:

Brian26
How did El Duque do it? WOW!

Irishsox1
04-19-2005, 10:48 PM
I think we have a closer problem.

darklord23
great win, now we are 2 games ahead of them in the AL Central :bandance:

brewcrew/chisox
sweet! nice win, and a nice sweep. Lets keep it rolling

Nard
04-19-2005, 10:49 PM
No closer problem. Why can't the "closer" be a platoon of Hermie-Marte-Vizzy.

HebrewHammer
04-19-2005, 10:49 PM
I think we have a closer problem.

The only problem is who to pick.

stillz
04-19-2005, 10:50 PM
14 hits and just 1 run. We got game and the Twins got no clutch. Nice move to bring in Damaso... :D:

I want Mags back
http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/sound_sorting/initial_blends/sw/images/sweep.jpgBeen waiting all year too post one of these

veeter
I think we have a closer problem. No we don't because we have Hermanson, Marte and Viscaino. Shingo is in a slump and the Twins take the right approach with him. I'm telling you he will have success this year. Probably against teams in other divisions.

TheBull19
04-19-2005, 10:51 PM
Know what I like must about this sweep? - now they can't say 'but they started 10-4 last year, too.'

ChiSox7
04-19-2005, 10:52 PM
No we don't because we have Hermanson, Marte and Viscaino. Shingo is in a slump and the Twins take the right approach with him. I'm telling you he will have success this year. Probably against teams in other divisions.

Yep, if it woulda been anyone other than Mauer, I'd imagine Shingo woulda stayed in there. Mauer owns Shingo.

owensmouth
04-19-2005, 10:52 PM
Nothing much to complain about these games... Paulie with two hits... On to Detroit.

SouthSide4Life
04-19-2005, 10:54 PM
ok so Shingo is in a slump. big deal its only April... he'll come around and as for Crede, you are a Golden God!

seventytwo
04-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Who cares? It's just another April win.

Right Radke??:cool:

jake27
what inning was this crede into home. i just got home and wanna watch it on mlb.tv, it would b much easier to knowif i knew the inning

FarWestChicago
Nothing much to complain about these games... Paulie with two hits... On to Detroit.Frankly, I don't understand your obsession with complaining. As Lip and Homefish have proven, nobody likes a whiner.

faneidde
04-19-2005, 10:56 PM
Good win, great sweep and a cluth performance by Crede and Marte especially. I'll take some of that crow, medium rare please.

Kogs35
04-19-2005, 10:57 PM
great win tonight whoo hoo :bandance: :gulp: :bandance: :gulp:

spawn
Offense with double digits in hits...clutch pitching...Iguchi, Paulie, and Crede with two hits apiece. I think the offense is slowly starting to catch up with the pitching and defense. I'm loving life right now!:bandance:

TDog
The 10-4 record is something to smile about. Winning four of the first six against the Tribe and four to the first five against the Twinks is reason for broader smiles.

samram
Yep, if it woulda been anyone other than Mauer, I'd imagine Shingo woulda stayed in there. Mauer owns Shingo.

Yeah, let's remember the Twins have seen Shingo probably around 10 times now. He'll be fine.

chisox06
04-19-2005, 10:58 PM
El Duque is the master at making pitches when he needs to. Kinda funny to notice that Hernandez was given that corner today and Contreras was not yesterday, Im sure it has to do with Orlando's and Jose's reputations respectively. I didnt know umpiring was a subjective job but what do I know? Great win, nicely managed game, good clutch hitting, beautiful stuff all around!

dcb33
Now let's go win the first two games in Detroit.

JGarlandrules20
Did anyone see Crede score on the sacrifice fly to left? He came in LOOKING to take out the catcher. He almost missed the plate he was so intent on taking out Mauer. He was 3 feet inside the line when he finally turned at the last moment and went across the plate. I love it.

That was awesome...even though he almost missed the plate because of it.

Epark84
04-19-2005, 11:00 PM
now lets not let down against detroit. I want to see hermanson as the closer. Im starting to feel like koch is taking the mound every time shingo toes the rubber. Gutty effort by el duque pitching out of jams.

stillz
04-19-2005, 11:00 PM
Anybody know the last year we started 10-4?

ElDuque26
04-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Although shingo was shaky once again the rest of the bullpen was insane. Vizquaino is startin to srut his stuff and what we have seen from hermanson this year is downright nasty. Its also nice to see that Damaso is getting back some faith that he seemed to be lacking since 03. Big win and a gutsy outing from El Duque

patbooyah
here is a cool shot from espn.com of crede doing the deed

MILTMAY5
Jerry Manuel - eat your heart out!!!

whitesoxfan1986
04-19-2005, 11:02 PM
I think Dustin should be our closer. He has been lights out. Maybe the teams in our division have figured out the junk Shingo throws. they sit on the slow stuff and wait for his fastball every time he goes out there. I hate idiot Cubs fans. They talk too much crap.my little cubs chant--"blow cubs blow, blow cubs blow, Hey Chicago waddaya say, 'cause the cubs blew another game today"

Kogs35
04-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Now let's go win the first two games in Detroit.

its only a 2 game series :wink:

Gosox1917
04-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Great win. Great job by El Duque to pitch out of some HUGE jams. I loved it. Crede showed me something tonight. I wish it woulda been a little closer play at the plate so he could've knocked Mauer on his butt. Did you know Crede is on a 10 game hitting streak? Start of his breakout year? Meanwhile, Pauly adds to his homerun lead with his seventh and the Sox have the best record in the AL at 10-4. First place, two games up.

I want Dustin Hermanson as our closer. Move Shingo and Marte to the setup role. Just my opinion. At least Ozzie didn't leave Shingo in there any longer to see if he could get the job done. He went out and made sure we got the W. Nice job all the way around.
:bandance: :bandance: :supernana: :supernana: :gulp: :gulp:

halfpricemonday
04-19-2005, 11:06 PM

Which means another series sweep by the good guys!

It's those 3 and 4 game series that you got to watch out for. :smile:

Brian26
04-19-2005, 11:08 PM
So far this season, we're:

WWL
WWL
WWL
WWL
WW

Record: 10-4

WikdChiSoxFan
04-19-2005, 11:09 PM

Most def. Shingo wasn't really locating, but he more than likely would have got the job done. But after last nights biggity bomb from Mauer...I'd bring in Marte too.

But who cares....

SOX WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cowch44
04-19-2005, 11:10 PM
I think it's really funny that the Twins topped their LOB total from yesterday.
10 LOB yesterday, 12 today.:D:

soxtalker
04-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Hopefully, Shingo's "slump" is similar to what he went through last ST, and he's simply working through it. He's been such a successful closer for so many years, IIRC, that I'd be concerned that he might have trouble moving to a set-up role.

CubKilla
04-19-2005, 11:14 PM
what inning was this crede into home. i just got home and wanna watch it on mlb.tv, it would b much easier to knowif i knew the inning

Bottom of the 5th

Johnny Mostil
04-19-2005, 11:17 PM
Anybody know the last year we started 10-4?

I looked it up. The '81 team started 10-3, before losing to drop their record to 10-4.

CHISOXFAN13
04-19-2005, 11:18 PM
Where are all the Twins apoligists who are always so quick to post that they just get the job done and find ways to win.

One run on 14 hits and another boatload of key double plays. I'm not buying that argument anymore.

JB98
04-19-2005, 11:18 PM
Hopefully, Shingo's "slump" is similar to what he went through last ST, and he's simply working through it. He's been such a successful closer for so many years, IIRC, that I'd be concerned that he might have trouble moving to a set-up role.

I think Shingo is going to be OK. Sometimes, finesse pitchers take a little longer to find a groove. That was the case for Shingo last year. He really didn't hit his stride until late May/early June.

In the meantime, Ozzie needs to play matchups. Bringing in Marte to deal with Mauer was absolutely the right move. I criticize Ozzie a lot for his handling of the pitching staff. Tonight, I'll praise him for pushing the right buttons.

JUribe1989
04-19-2005, 11:20 PM
:sweep :peeTorii Hunter, Brad Radke, Ron Gardenhire, Jacque Jones, Shannon Stewart, Joe Mauer, Jason Bartlett, Luis Rivas, Terry Tiffee, and the rest of you losers.

WE OWN YOU TWINKIES!!! DON'T MESS WITH THE SOUTH SIDE.

WOW THAT FELT GOOD!

TaylorStSox
04-19-2005, 11:20 PM
Between this game and the Bulls game, it's been one hell of a night for Chicago sports. This is what I call a "perfect night."

El Duque is a professional that knows how to win. Period. If Garcia can learn some of that moxy, he'll be a world beater.

I wonder if there's enough crow in Chicago for the Crede bashers? :cool:

ChiSox7
04-19-2005, 11:27 PM
Where are all the Twins apoligists who are always so quick to post that they just get the job done and find ways to win.

One run on 14 hits and another boatload of key double plays. I'm not buying that argument anymore.

There is a TON of season left. I wouldn't say that just yet. The Twins were 4th in the Majors in BA with RISP coming into this game. Best bullpen ERA nin the majors. They jsut had a couple bad days and ran into some good Cuban pitching. They'll still find ways to win, and we'll have to do the same.

Unregistered
04-19-2005, 11:28 PM
The Twins were 4th in the Majors in BA with RISP coming into this game. Best bullpen ERA nin the majors. They jsut had a couple bad days and ran into some good Cuban pitching. Yeah, that and the fact that they weren't playing Cleveland or Detroit. :cool:

HomeFish
04-19-2005, 11:31 PM
The more I read about this game, which I sadly could neither attend nor watch, the more impressed I am.

If what they say about el duque and facing Twins with runners on is true, then he is by far the most important offseason acquisition, and his health should be this team's #1 concern.

Moreover, it is interesting to see Crede get hits again. I haven't seen this since April 2004, when he had all that 9th inning magic.

However, I would caution against overjoy. Remember, we started out strong against the Twins last season. Many, including myself, thought after the first two months that, if the Twins were to win the season series, they would have to sweep us a lot. Well, they did win the season series.

Let us remember the "coincidence" of Jose Paniagua. Ever since the Jose Paniagua incident, the White Sox have never led the Twins by an integer value of two or more in the standings. We are at 2 games up right now; if we can break that margin, we may be seeing a White Sox team capable of better results that we have been accustomed to in the past.

But let's also remember that the Twins are without some players.

Bobbo35
That's what i'm talkin about south siders!!! El Duque really came through with some tough situations put against him. Well folks, we have ourselves a ballclub!

GO SOX!!!!!

Frankfan4life
Between this game and the Bulls game, it's been one hell of a night for Chicago sports. This is what I call a "perfect night." :cool:Detroit and Cleveland lost today too. :D:

SluggersAway
04-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Don't believe everything you read on espn.com (as if I have to tell you all that). But, it is true. The headline of the recap of tonight's is "Hernandez holds fort until Konerko's heroics".

Only in the third paragraph do you find out that PK's HR occured in the 6th inning while Crede and Pods each drove in a run in the 5th.

With a 3-1 final score it would be clear to anyone with a little math knowledge that Konerko's HR did not figure at all in the win (though I still loved it).

But, now I wonder how many other times I've been lied to at espn.com.

dcb33
04-19-2005, 11:40 PM

I know :D: - winning the first two games in the series is a trend, and we definitely need to get off on the right foot against the Kitties this year given all the fits they've given us the last two years. In all, this is a pretty big road trip coming up: 2 @ Det, 3 @ KC, and 3 in Oakland. Here's hoping they can hande the Tigers and break that West Coast mental block they seem to have.

Unregistered
04-19-2005, 11:41 PM
However, I would caution against overjoy. Really? You, Homefish? :rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
04-19-2005, 11:42 PM
I like 'smart-ball...' On to Detroit.

Lip

tstrike2000
04-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Besides El Duque's ability to get out of jams, we can thank Torii for misplaying Crede's run scoring double which ended up making the difference.

zach074
04-19-2005, 11:43 PM
Guess who almost out raced Pods o yea! Me! I guess they didnt realize i was 16.

CHISOXFAN13
04-19-2005, 11:46 PM
I like 'smart-ball...' On to Detroit.Lip

Lip and Home Fish both have positive things to say.

Maybe this is our year! :)

WSox8404
04-19-2005, 11:47 PM
Great game.....being there was even better. First game of the year. 1 and 0 baby.

Mickster
04-19-2005, 11:50 PM
I like 'smart-ball...' On to Detroit.Lip

Lip, this is the nicest thing that you have said in months! :D:

I'm cautiously optimistic as well! :cool:

kojak
04-19-2005, 11:55 PM
For the last 4 years, it has been us with the frustrating losses. I have to believe the Twinks are really talking to themselves after a loss like tonight. 14 hits and only 1 run to show for it. That is bad karma. They could easily have taken these 2 games but this time the hand is on the other foot.

I can feel the momemtum swinging. Can you?

TomParrish79
04-19-2005, 11:55 PM
You guys have pretty much said it all about tonite's game.

Great thing that we held on to win tonite when the Twinkies had so many chances at breaking the game open. Great job by El Duque to shut them down everytime things looked bad.

Would have loved to see Crede smash Mahr at the plate, but oh well there is plenty of season left for that.

Great win, and hopefully we will keep it up against Detroit.

mealfred13
04-19-2005, 11:56 PM
But, now I wonder how many other times I've been lied to at espn.com.

That's too difficult. Just wonder about the times ESPN has told you the truth, it takes alot less effort.

Unregistered
04-19-2005, 11:59 PM
... but this time the hand is on the other foot.:?: Your what hurts?

tromcoe
04-20-2005, 12:05 AM
How about when Hunter slipped and fell going back to second?

batmanZoSo
04-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Shingo, my man, you're really gunning for that setup role. Jeez, this guy can't get through an inning without giving up a run.

What a fabulous job by Hernandez. This rotation is a bunch of battlers, I tells ya. They look shaky as hell, but they keep making good pitches when it counts. Hernandez worked over Punto really well to get outta the bases loaded jam. I loved the curveball to induce the popup. I think he threw three straight fastballs which were fouled off...no way he'd get one by him especially throwing 87. In that situation I'd rather risk walking him than a three run double.

One great sign is all these double plays. I can't remember this many since 2000. When we need we gets 'em.

JGarlandrules20
04-20-2005, 12:07 AM
How about when Hunter slipped and fell going back to second?
That was almost as funny as Aaron falling over on his check swing last night.

Almost. :D:

Jerome
04-20-2005, 12:19 AM
Wow my preseason prediction of 82 or so wins and a new GM at the end of the year are looking real good now.

batmanZoSo
04-20-2005, 12:23 AM
That was almost as funny as Aaron falling over on his check swing last night.

Almost. :D:

In hindsight it was. I was a little too tense at the time to crack a toothy smile and emulate Hunter. He does have a ****load of teeth, does he not? :wink:

mealfred13
04-20-2005, 12:25 AM
In hindsight it was. I was a little too tense at the time to crack a toothy smile and emulate Hunter. He does have a ****load of teeth, does he not? :wink:

Kinda reminds me of a Ninja Turtle when he smiles...:tongue:

akingamongstmen
04-20-2005, 12:27 AM

Oh man...:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: ...too funny.

batmanZoSo
04-20-2005, 12:30 AM

I don't think he was smiling in the dugout after the game. I know, I'm going out on a limb...

::bites knuckle::
Man I hate that Torii Hunter...:mad:

Kadafi311
04-20-2005, 12:31 AM
10-4!

Roger that :D:

Mohoney
04-20-2005, 12:39 AM
As Lip and Homefish have proven, nobody likes a whiner.

I don't know. If Lip and HomeFish weren't around, this place would get pretty dull.

We need some chicken littles to counteract the pollyannas, and there are quite a few of those, too.

Lip brings balance to the force.

FarWestChicago
04-20-2005, 12:43 AM
I don't know. If Lip and HomeFish weren't around, this place would get pretty dull.

We need some chicken littles to counteract the pollyannas, and there are quite a few of those, too.

Lip brings balance to the force.If you believe this, you have very serious issues. I'll assume you forgot the teal.

ChiSox7
04-20-2005, 12:49 AM
We've gotta give big props to Iguchi. He had 2 hits tonight and should have had 3. That guy is just raking right now and if our 3-4-5 hitters could have a game where they hit TOGETHER, we could have a game where we put up a lot of runs.

Iguchi now has the highest average and OBP on the team among the regulars. He has really been a big addition to the team.

BRDSR
04-20-2005, 01:03 AM
We've gotta give big props to Iguchi. He had 2 hits tonight and should have had 3. That guy is just raking right now and if our 3-4-5 hitters could have a game where they hit TOGETHER, we could have a game where we put up a lot of runs.

Iguchi now has the highest average and OBP on the team among the regulars. He has really been a big addition to the team.

I agree. Seven hits in the last 3 games. Very impressive. I also noted in the chat room that his defense has been particularly good. I think he made one error in the first series but since then has been flawless. He's made some good plays on some hard hit balls and some tough hops. Besides that, he's been impressive around the bag on the oh-so-important double plays that our pitchers have been depending on. So far I am REALLY pleased with all our acquisitions except Dye, and I wouldn't give up on him yet. Anyone want to join me in starting "Kenny's Krew?"

shoota
04-20-2005, 01:04 AM
What a fun game to watch. El Duque definately deserved player of the game, and Iguchi, AJ, Paulie, Podsednik, Rowand, Timo and even Crede had good games. I got tired of seeing the Twins players on base, but nicely surprised to watch all but one fail to score.

And individual respect goes to Crede for not letting Mauer to block the plate.

Chisox003
04-20-2005, 01:08 AM
I dont know if anybody has noticed, and im not about to go through 8 pages of posts to see, but Crede has a 10 game hitting streak and has that AVG up to .277...Keep it goin Joe

As for the series, great pitching and timely defense (DP's tonight) will more often than not....

One more thing...Can you imagine the riot that would have occured had AJ plowed over Mauer? I dont know if anyone noticed this, but he was ready for a collision at the plate, but Crede was yelling for him to slide...Aj stumbled in, but he was ready for a mow down....The game would have been called due to chaos

jeremydavid
04-20-2005, 01:16 AM
we have a team! Remember that anything is possible and no one thought the diamondbacks or angels were gonna win everything so enjoy every moment of the season (the good and bad) until we are mathematically eliminated because I am not gonna give it up.

IT'S GONNA BE A WILD RIDE!

daveeym
04-20-2005, 01:17 AM
shoota that sig seems slightly conflicting.:?:

Shorty1983
04-20-2005, 01:21 AM
The Duke got him self into alot of trouble with RISP, luckly got him self out of the jam twice w/bases loaded. This game could have been easliy up for grabs if the twins had any clutch hits. Shingo looks lost at the mound, I know its to soon in the season but this is not exceptable esp with the game on the line. Oz made smart move replacing Shingo, on another note Hermanson has been lights out in all his starts. If Shingo continues to struggle Hermie and Marte can both close games until he builds his confidence level. Still, Shingo is the man and it's only April. Great win for the southsiders, finally I get to use my broom.

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: The kittens are next!

johnnyg83
04-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Getting a lot of DPs is a neutral sign at best.

batmanZoSo
04-20-2005, 01:27 AM

He can flat out hit and I love his whole approach. He never overswings. Sooner or later, he'll start getting under those line drives and driving them out of the park. He hit 24 homers and drove in 89 last year, so he's not just a singles hitter like he's been showing. Although if he continues at this rate and hit's .330 with only a few homers, I'll be more than happy.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-20-2005, 01:29 AM
The more I read about this game...the more impressed I am.
Who are you, and what have you done with HomeFish?

However, I would caution against overjoy. Remember, we started out strong against the Twins last season...Well, they did win the season series...Ever since the Jose Paniagua incident, the White Sox have never led the Twins by an integer value of two or more in the standings...But let's also remember that the Twins are without some players.
Oh there you are!

Shorty1983
04-20-2005, 01:32 AM

:welcome: :cheers: :welcome:

jabrch
04-20-2005, 01:33 AM

Uh...NO

johnnyg83
04-20-2005, 01:34 AM
Great to be here - I moved to KC a few years ago. Miss Chicago, not b.c KC is bad. I get to the Sox 9 or 10 times a year and its easy to get a seat and easy to get to the stadium. The Royals are actually an easy eam to cheer for after the Sox.

elrod
04-20-2005, 01:37 AM
I just love the gutsiness of the two Cubans. Neither of them had their best stuff, yet they made the big pitches when they needed to against the Twins.

batmanZoSo
04-20-2005, 01:39 AM

What the hell do you want, triple plays?

johnnyg83
04-20-2005, 01:46 AM
Getting a lot of double plays means your putting a lot of guys on base - the statistical average for a double play has got to be less than 25%. So, it would follow that for every double play you do get, you're not getting one 75% (or whatever the number is) of the time with a man on base -- which leads to a lot of runners.

Put simply for you Public Leaguers out there, the more times you find yourself in trouble, the more opprtunities you'll have for a double-play. But walking that line will result in a lot of non-DPS.

Now if you changed the wording to "clutch double plays" I'd agree.

And I'm in favor of triple plays too.

HebrewHammer
04-20-2005, 01:53 AM
Getting a lot of double plays means your putting a lot of guys on base - the statistical average for a double play has got to be less than 25%. So, it would follow that for every double play you do get, you're not getting one 75% (or whatever the number is) of the time with a man on base -- which leads to a lot of runners.

Put simply for you Public Leaguers out there, the more times you find yourself in trouble, the more opprtunities you'll have for a double-play. But walking that line will result in a lot of non-DPS.

:dunno:

Getting a lot of DP's means you're also getting ground balls and getting out of jams.

:welcome:

batmanZoSo
04-20-2005, 01:57 AM

I figured that's what you were thinking. But the fact is we are getting them and all these excess base runners (especially the last two days) are not hurting us. It's clearly a sign that the 2000 magic is finally coming back to us...at least for now. Every other year between we haven't gotten any breaks. That's why it's a good sign. Obviously, you want as few baserunners as possible, but if they're getting erased by DP's consistently--and it's been proven to happen over the course of a year--you'll be in good shape. That's all I'm saying.

johnnyg83
04-20-2005, 01:58 AM
No doubt. "Getting out of jam double plays" are great, but leading the league in double plays? That's a boatload of runners to 1B that leave you relying on a DP.

And while I relished the DPs we (yes, we) were able to pull off tonight, we were two ducksnorts away from being swept.

batmanZoSo
04-20-2005, 02:19 AM
No doubt. "Getting out of jam double plays" are great, but leading the league in double plays? That's a boatload of runners to 1B that leave you relying on a DP.

And while I relished the DPs we (yes, we) were able to pull off tonight, we were two ducksnorts away from being swept.

We were two grand slams away from being swept, too. Hey, now that I think of it, we're about 20 more earned runs from being in the cellar.

elrod
04-20-2005, 02:21 AM
The reason we're getting the DPs is our pitchers are coming right at the hitters with men on base. The hitters get jammed and ground weakly to SS or 2B. A few times we got lucky, like the hard one hopper to Uribe tonight. But a lot of the DP grounders came off great pitches in key situations.

kojak
04-20-2005, 02:48 AM

Look at teams that lead the league in double plays and you will find two characteristics: outstanding middle infielders and impressive clutch pitching. Everyone allows baserunners. It is eliminating their threat that is the key.

shoota
04-20-2005, 03:11 AM
shoota that sig seems slightly conflicting.:?:

Good catch Dave, I missed that. I don't really have an answer for it.

owensmouth
04-20-2005, 04:33 AM
Look at teams that lead the league in double plays and you will find two characteristics: outstanding middle infielders and impressive clutch pitching. Everyone allows baserunners. It is eliminating their threat that is the key.Actually, if you go to MLB.com and look up their historical stats, you'll find that the team that leads in double plays is one of the losers. They generally lead in DPs because their pitchers keep getting in trouble. No world championships are won by leading the league in double plays.

(Seriously, go check)

Charno
04-20-2005, 04:57 AM
Highlight of the game: Torii Hunter rolling around on the ground near second base, on his back with his legs in the air like a dead dog. Now that was comedy.

nasox
04-20-2005, 07:46 AM
We were two grand slams away from being swept, too. Hey, now that I think of it, we're about 20 more earned runs from being in the cellar.

That's the thing about having good pitching.

jabrch
04-20-2005, 08:47 AM

I think the statheads have reached an all-time low. They are now trying to make up numbers to show that getting a lot of DPs is bad. This is ridiculous. I don't give a rats ass how many baserunners are allowed. I really don't. Tell me, at the end of the game, who won. It won't always be the team who allowed the fewest baserunners. It will ALWAYS be the team who allows the fewest runs. Getting DPs means you have groundball pitchers (Garland, Duque, Contreras and Buehrle) and solid IF (Crede/Uribe/Iguchi). Would I rather we have no-hitters every day and don't need DPs? Sure - but to argue that getting a lot of DPs is bad because it means you allow a lot of baserunners is sillyness. If you want to argue that we allow too many baserunners, that's a totally different arguement. But to say that the DPs are bad is just crazy.

Every time I look up, a new stathead has a new dumb arguement.

jabrch
04-20-2005, 08:49 AM
we were two ducksnorts away from being swept.

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

Now should be when you try and explain DIPS or something else to me.

There are more than one way to win a baseball game. Striking out 15 and hitting the 3 run HR is one of them. Giving up all ground balls, some which will get through, others that won't, and scoring 2 runs is another.

faneidde
04-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Only White Sox fans could get in an argument about whether double plays or good or bad after sweeping the Twins. I believer Gary Coleman has a comment on this topic...
:whocares

"We just swept the Twins. Enjoy it."

Baby Fisk
04-20-2005, 09:31 AM
I really like:

- our Cuban pitchers
- the golem-like awakening of Joe Crede
- those black jerseys (best look in all of baseball)
- seeing the Twinks strand approx. 58 baserunners in two games
- no more stomach pains when a reliever comes in
- watching Aaron Rowand try so damn hard that it hurts (relax, man!)
- the unintentional hilarity of a DJ home run call (“uh-oh!”)
- being 10-4 and two games up, setting the tone for the rest of the season! :bandance:

PaleHoseGeorge
04-20-2005, 09:44 AM

DP's are neutral? LOL, okay let's take your silly premise.

You know what is worse than "neutral" johnnyg? Hitting into all those double-plays!
:roflmao:

Believe me, they're pissing and moaning up in Minnesota about all the DP's that got them swept. They're especially pissed because the DP's cost them two wins and first place to their #1 division rival... and they don't even get another shot at us for another four freaking months!

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Instead of pissing and moaning about too many baserunners, why don't you praise the sort of pitching that induced all those DP's?

Instead of pissing and moaning, why don't you congratulate our hitters for making the most of every opportunity to WIN the games over Minnesota, not lose them.

You have absolutely NO CREDIBILITY on this matter. If this is the best you can do, you ought to go back to lurking. Or perhaps just troll someplace else?

:dtroll:

Brian26
04-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Believe me, they're pissing and moaning up in Minnesota about all the DP's that got them swept. They're especially pissed because the DP's cost them two wins and first place to their #1 division rival... and they don't even get another shot at us for another four freaking months!

Instead of pissing and moaning about too many baserunners, why don't you praise the sort of pitching that induced all those DP's?

If this guy was a Sox fan, you'd think he could appreciate those DP's, since in 2002, 2003 and 2004, it seemed like Magglio Ordonez lead the universe in GIDP. It felt like he did that 3 or 4 times a game some nights.

The good guys are finally in the W column. Let's ****ing enjoy it.

johnnyg83
04-20-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks George. I admire you.

No pissing and moaning intended. I'm thrilled we won. Great job. The pitching was good when it had to be, and the INF defense has been solid all year.

My point, which seems to have been derailed by an anti-stathead rant, is that if we continue to rely on double plays to get us out of innings we're going to be in trouble.

Now, if I'm a jerk for saying that or a "stathead" or a "pansy" or a "troll" or not a true Sox fan or some sort of Communist, then I'll live with that, but if the Sox live by DP, they won't win anything.

And jabrch, I've seen your aunt and she looks like she has balls.

Flight #24
04-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks George. I admire you.

No pissing and moaning intended. I'm thrilled we won. Great job. The pitching was good when it had to be, and the INF defense has been solid all year.

My point, which seems to have been derailed by an anti-stathead rant, is that if we continue to rely on double plays to get us out of innings we're going to be in trouble.

What you miss is that this team has all the DPs.....AND has a team WHIP of 1.26 (7th in MLB, 4th in AL). That tells you that we're not allowing all that many baserunners, but when we do get them on, we are good at getting DPs. That would be consistent with a ground-ball pitching staff, which in USCF is likely to be a successful one.

Basically, your premise that lots of DPs = lots of baserunners isn't true. It certainly was the past 2 nights, but not in general.

johnnyg83
04-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Flight24, I agree. If you said we're going to lead the league in "clutch" DPs.

This "guy" is a Sox fan and I love the DPs over the last two nights -- they're the difference b/t a W and an L.

But it's hard to ignore what someone said earlier -- every team that has lead the league in DPs has been a loser.

Flight #24
04-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Flight24, I agree. If you said we're going to lead the league in "clutch" DPs.

This "guy" is a Sox fan and I love the DPs over the last two nights -- they're the difference b/t a W and an L.

But it's hard to ignore what someone said earlier -- every team that has lead the league in DPs has been a loser.

Don't confuse correlation with causation. I'd go back and check the WHIP for this teams - I'd bet in general you're seeing many more guys on base than this team's allowing. IMO that's much more likely to be a causal statistic than the # of DPs.

Skippy
04-20-2005, 12:27 PM
I went to the game last night and was shocked upon my arrival. They changed Tuesday to buy one get one free upper deck seats.

I have to say that the upper deck is actually quite nice now. I haven't been up there since the 2001 season and I was pleasantly surprised.

And there were no jerks around. Seemed like an uneventful night in the stands.

batmanZoSo
04-20-2005, 12:28 PM
I really like:

- our Cuban pitchers
- the golem-like awakening of Joe Crede
- those black jerseys (best look in all of baseball)
- seeing the Twinks strand approx. 58 baserunners in two games
- no more stomach pains when a reliever comes in
- watching Aaron Rowand try so damn hard that it hurts (relax, man!)
- the unintentional hilarity of a DJ home run call (“uh-oh!”)
- being 10-4 and two games up, setting the tone for the rest of the season! :bandance:

The uniforms did look unusually crisp and clean yesterday (kudos to the team dry cleaner). I think the less you see them the more you like them. We over-wore them the last few years. They should remain an alternate...every once in a while. And when they do wear them, they are pretty special looking.

Iwritecode
04-20-2005, 12:33 PM
I went to the game last night and was shocked upon my arrival. They changed Tuesday to buy one get one free upper deck seats.

I have to say that the upper deck is actually quite nice now. I haven't been up there since the 2001 season and I was pleasantly surprised.

And there were no jerks around. Seemed like an uneventful night in the stands.

That is the creepiest sig I've ever seen... :o:

daveeym
04-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Good catch Dave, I missed that. I don't really have an answer for it. Well at least you're up front about it. :cool:

Baby Fisk
04-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Those commercials are extremely creepy. Who the hell would accept food offered to them by that ghoulish thing?!

batmanZoSo
04-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Those commercials are extremely creepy. Who the hell would accept food offered to them by that ghoulish thing?!

Is it free? Send your bacon cheddar ranch chicken my way, I'll take it. :cool:

MRKARNO
04-20-2005, 01:21 PM
It is worrisome that the White Sox pitchers gave up so many baserunners over the past two games, but on the flipside, it's great to see that they can get out of these jams. We havent been giving up a lot of hits previously, so it's really not super-worrisome. We're not always going to win those games, but to do that against the division rivals was excellent, no matter what way you cut it. Maybe in a game against the Rangers or Royals I would harp on trends, but this was the Twins and all that matters are W's and L's with that team and that's the only team for whom I feel that way towards.

Another nice thing was the fact that a lot of hitters are starting to hit the ball a lot better, especially Crede and Iguchi. Tadahito's been on fire (I think 7 hits in the last 11 at bats now) and Crede's hitting streak is a very nice show of consistancy. Overall, you can't be that unhappy with this team.

Flight #24
04-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Overall, you can't be that unhappy with this team.

You may want to check the URL bar to confirm where you are posting this......

MRKARNO
04-20-2005, 01:33 PM
You may want to check the URL bar to confirm where you are posting this......

I should change that to, "A rational person would not find much fault with this team unless they were overobsessing about tiny details"

Fake Chet Lemon
04-20-2005, 01:33 PM
So far this season, we're:

WWL
WWL
WWL
WWL
WW

Record: 10-4

Are you saying the Tigers will win game #1 :smile: ? We got the sweep, way to display some KILLER INSTINCT! Better yet, Sox are 2-0 with me there.

BeerHandle
04-20-2005, 01:47 PM
The uniforms did look unusually crisp and clean yesterday (kudos to the team dry cleaner). I think the less you see them the more you like them. We over-wore them the last few years. They should remain an alternate...every once in a while. And when they do wear them, they are pretty special looking.

The pitchers get to pick the uniform on their pitching day.

dpbyron
04-20-2005, 03:11 PM
here is a cool shot from espn.com of crede doing the deed

Ha ha! They almost got an eye for an eye.... MAYBE NEXT TIME!

Good work Joe!:bandance:

Skippy
04-20-2005, 06:06 PM

He just wants to give you breakfast!

nasox
04-20-2005, 06:31 PM
Is it free? Send your bacon cheddar ranch chicken my way, I'll take it. :cool:

No, send it to me. With Brooke Burke! :cool: