PDA

View Full Version : Why no playing time for Gload?

rowand33
04-19-2005, 07:47 PM
How come Timo Perez or Pablo Ozuna continues to get starts when Pods or Dye or whoever is out of the lineup? Gload has made one start and it was at first. I know he isn't the best corner outfielder in the world, but he can play RF well enough. I'd like to see more than 5 ABs in 14 games for a guy who hit .320 last year and almost .400 as a PH.

DaveIsHere
04-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Have you seen him in the outfield?

:chunks

mike squires
04-19-2005, 08:00 PM
I would like to see him a Mike Squires type where he comes in in the later innings and he does need to start seeing at bats to keep him fresh. But then again, if it aint broke, don't fix it...

SouthSide4Life
04-19-2005, 09:57 PM
How come Timo Perez or Pablo Ozuna continues to get starts when Pods or Dye or whoever is out of the lineup? Gload has made one start and it was at first. I know he isn't the best corner outfielder in the world, but he can play RF well enough. I'd like to see more than 5 ABs in 14 games for a guy who hit .320 last year and almost .400 as a PH.yeah i agree. Ross is a solid player overall be it first or deep. if i could use 1 word to describe him it would be... Fluidity...um yeah i think thats a word

The Wimperoo
04-19-2005, 09:58 PM
Gload sucks, that's why

owensmouth
04-19-2005, 09:59 PM
yeah i agree. Ross is a solid player overall be it first or deep. if i could use 1 word to describe him it would be... Fluidity...um yeah i think thats a wordHow about "can't throw worth a ****?"

StockdaleForVeep
04-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Has there been a need for him?

This team is rolling without him.

SOXPHILE
04-19-2005, 10:31 PM
The Sox are rolling along quite nicely. If they need him to start a game every now and then to give somebody a rest, or bring him in late in a game that's out of hand one way or the other, that's fine. No need to tinker with anything. :jerry "Aww, how can you say that ? We need to re-arrange a few things here. I'm gonna sit Paul, Carl and Crede for a few games, put Gload in center, move Rowand over to right, have Widger start a few games at first for us, and maybe have Marte start the next game, just to give him a little experience at that. Hey, we're 10-4, might as well try this stuff now !"

Banix12
04-19-2005, 10:32 PM
The only thing that has surprised me about gload's lack of playing time is that he isn't even getting a lot of appearances as a pinch hitter, he was doing that a lot last season and was pretty effective doing it. Most of the pinch hitting roles seem to have gone to Ozuna and Timo.

Him not playing is just an issue of him really only able to play 1st base well, and us having a lot of options in the OF.

hose
04-19-2005, 10:32 PM
I'm surprised Paulie wasn't lifted for a pinch runner in the bottom of the 8th and Gload put in for defense.

Turns out the Konerk made a good play on a grounder to get the first out in the ninth.

chisoxfanatic
04-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Right now, I think the best role for Everett is at the DH, which leaves Paulie at 1B (we need BOTH of those bats in the lineup all the time). The only time I'd say Gload should get much playing time is if Paulie gets overtired.

SouthBendSox
04-19-2005, 10:44 PM
Gload needs to see some of Ozuna's wasted at bats

Ron Karkovice
04-19-2005, 11:06 PM

:mad::o:

jk, i agree.

Jerome
04-19-2005, 11:10 PM
I'm glad as hell that we're winning now, but Gload really impressed me last year. Wasn't he rookie of the month for one month? Didn't he bat like .300 something? I even remember talk on this very message board that, "because we have gload, we can afford to trade Konerko for pitching. Maybe Javier Vazquez."

batmanZoSo
04-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Has there been a need for him?

This team is rolling without him.

Much to my surprise.

FarWestChicago
04-19-2005, 11:39 PM
This is an official, "I have way too much time on my hands and need to get a job" thread. :D:

rowand33
04-20-2005, 03:15 AM
yeah, it's more pinch hitting than anything. The guy has 5 ABs. I was wondering if there was some specific reason he was just sitting, but if there's not... I agree. Give him some of Ozuna's wasted ABs.

mikehuff
04-20-2005, 07:34 AM
I was a little curious a why I haven't seen him much this year. Maybe because all of the games have been close so far and there really isn't time for him to get in there late in games. I know there were a couple times too when we needed a pinch hitter, but the pitcher on the mound was also a lefty. The timing hasn't been right for him yet.

D. TODD
04-20-2005, 09:39 AM
He is getting appropriate time for how the team has been playing. Never Ever EVER put him in the outfield. In the right situations he is a good pinch hit option, other then that the occasional day off for Paulie should be his only at bats.

Frater Perdurabo
04-20-2005, 09:50 AM
When Paulie needs a break, DH Paulie and put Everett in right or left. Then, and only then, should Gload get a start at 1B. Otherwise use Gload only as a ninth-inning defensive replacement and pinch hitter.

Banix12
04-20-2005, 08:57 PM
I was a little curious a why I haven't seen him much this year. Maybe because all of the games have been close so far and there really isn't time for him to get in there late in games. I know there were a couple times too when we needed a pinch hitter, but the pitcher on the mound was also a lefty. The timing hasn't been right for him yet.

Gload hits lefties better than he hits righties. He hasn't faced a lot in his short career in the majors but in all his at bats against lefties he has a .383 average.

I think Ozuna is getting a lot of at bats early mostly because I think Ozzie wants to see if his abilities this spring training were for real. Gload will get into games a bit more around summer but right now the sox are trying to get the regulars going, so they aren't worried so much about the reserves.

doublem23
04-20-2005, 09:02 PM

How do you just sub Ross Gload in for Pablo Ozuna?

Daver
04-20-2005, 09:08 PM
How do you just sub Ross Gload in for Pablo Ozuna?

Osmosis.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Ozzie emptied the bench late in this one. Even Wee-Willie got an at-bat. That bag of balls and a broken fungo bat deal is looking better and better all the time.

Maybe Ozzie and KW were showcasing Willie for the Tigers? They're short a rightfielder right now, aren't they?

:roflmao:

Fake Chet Lemon
04-20-2005, 09:18 PM
I could see Kenny looking to deal Gload right before Frank gets back to make room on the roster. All he is now is insurance should Paulie get hurt (or leave after this season:whiner: ).

Daver
04-20-2005, 09:37 PM
I could see Kenny looking to deal Gload right before Frank gets back to make room on the roster. All he is now is insurance should Paulie get hurt (or leave after this season:whiner: ).

Frank plays first base.

RichFitztightly
04-20-2005, 10:24 PM
Osmosis.

Actually, they would sub by way of diffusion. The term "osmosis" is reserved for liquids only, primarily water. Since human beings are solid, they would have to pass the membrane of the foul lines by way of diffusion.

Ummm... yes, I actually did type those words -- and posted it.

Banix12
04-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Actually, they would sub by way of diffusion. The term "osmosis" is reserved for liquids only, primarily water. Since human beings are solid, they would have to pass the membrane of the foul lines by way of diffusion.

Ummm... yes, I actually did type those words -- and posted it.

Thanks Mr. Wizard! Are we gonna learn about magnets tomorrow?

seriously, nice post