PDA

View Full Version : Autograph Tips

Schmitz33
04-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Does anyone have any autograph tips when it comes to obtaining the Chicago White Sox?

I usually attend about 10 games a year and most of them are when the sox are on the road. I have attended 2 games this year both on the road in Minnesota. This is what I have found.

Ozzie Guillen -- Has never turned me down. Usually sees you and if you hold up a pen he will eventually make his way over to you and sign.

Greg Walker -- Yell his name and hes golden as well.

Harold Baines -- Didn't want anything to do with signing.

Tim Raines -- Never has been out during pre-game and if he was he hid well.

Scott Podsednik -- Wouldn't acknowledged you if you had a bull horn yelling at him. But may have signed a couple of graphs before taking off after BP.

Aaron Rowand -- Wouldn't sign either time that I asked. But I have seen him sign Rowand Jerseys for other fans.

Paul Konerko -- Wouldn't sign and I have never seen him sign.

Joe Crede -- Wouldn't sign and I have never seen him sign. But everytime Ive been around to ask hes been in a slump hitting.

Willie Harris -- Nice guy But didn't ask him to sign INSTEAD talked with him for a couple of seconds. He told me that he was CHILLIN.

A.J. Pierzynski -- Signed and signed often. Very nice

Chris Widger -- Didn't ask him to sign but Congratulated him on making the ball club. Talked me repeatedly.... Pretty cool guy.

Any comments or tips?

fusillirob1983
04-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like you know how to get autographs.

ewokpelts
04-19-2005, 03:08 PM
do you look like an autogrph hound? if so, you're out of luck...or try and not have a book full of 8x10's or a bag of ball...

Gene
p.s. they all sign at soxfest......including konerko

maurice
04-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Tim Raines
Aaron Rowand
Paul Konerko

All these guys signed in Tucson. Raines signed in mid-game between innings. LOL.

Rowand has a very focused pre-game routine, so don't try to get his attention when he's doing his stretching, running, etc. Ask him nicely after he gets his work in.

mike squires
04-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Nice thread and welcome to WSI.

Last year I made the mistake of calling for Greg when he was near the batting cage (82 whitesox reunion) He said, "I'm working" I felt like a moron right away. He eventually came over and I apologized to him. I felt like a dumb 30 year old 8 year old.

Lots of people have said nice things about Kevin Hickey but I had to practically beg him to sign the back of my old Comisky seat to add with the rest of the 83 players.

Harold Baines~Growing up I never saw Harold sign at the old yard. He's very accomodating at Soxfest but I think all the players know that is what they are there for.

I remember Ozzie signing all the time. He's my next quest. I've got a blown up pic of him playing catch near the dugout that would be cool signed.

Alot of the newer players I'm not really sure about. I don't get to go to the park like I used too...

Ol' No. 2
04-19-2005, 03:40 PM
Generally, the best times to get autographs is after their pre-game stretching. They've got a few minutes to kill and will often sign then.

ChiSoxBobette
04-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Does anyone have any autograph tips when it comes to obtaining the Chicago White Sox?

I usually attend about 10 games a year and most of them are when the sox are on the road. I have attended 2 games this year both on the road in Minnesota. This is what I have found.

Ozzie Guillen -- Has never turned me down. Usually sees you and if you hold up a pen he will eventually make his way over to you and sign.

Scott Podsednik -- Wouldn't acknowledged you if you had a bull horn yelling at him. But may have signed a couple of graphs before taking off after BP.

Aaron Rowand -- Wouldn't sign either time that I asked. But I have seen him sign Rowand Jerseys for other fans.

Joe Crede -- Wouldn't sign and I have never seen him sign. But everytime Ive been around to ask hes been in a slump hitting.

Willie Harris -- Nice guy But didn't ask him to sign INSTEAD talked with him for a couple of seconds. He told me that he was CHILLIN.

Chris Widger -- Didn't ask him to sign but Congratulated him on making the ball club. Talked me repeatedly.... Pretty cool guy.

Any comments or tips?
Don't know how they are on the road but I'm a season ticket holder and I've seen Konerko, Rowand & Crede signing when they're out on the field before the game starts almost every game we're at.

HITMEN OF 77
04-19-2005, 04:19 PM
do you look like an autogrph hound? if so, you're out of luck...or try and not have a book full of 8x10's or a bag of ball...

Gene
p.s. they all sign at soxfest......including konerko

At Soxfest I had like 6 things for Konerko to sign (game jerseys, game bat, game hat & helmet etc) and Konerko to the time to ask where I wanted each one signed and in what color marker etc etc. I thought that was pretty cool.

DaleJRFan
04-19-2005, 04:23 PM
Rowand has a very focused pre-game routine, so don't try to get his attention when he's doing his stretching, running, etc. Ask him nicely after he gets his work in.

Someone needs to tell ARow to include thoughts about standing closer to the plate in his pre-game routine. He looks like he is halfway up the third baseline. Pitchers are throwing fastballs on the outer half and he hits em off the end of the bat for easy groundball outs... Ugh.

The only autograph I EVER got at a SOX game was Jack Clark at Old Comisky, on a ball he hit foul in BP. I think I was 7. Can't imagine a player saying no to a 7 year old kid.

Baby Fisk
04-19-2005, 04:23 PM
At Soxfest I had like 6 things for Konerko to sign (game jerseys, game bat, game hat & helmet etc) and Konerko to the time to ask where I wanted each one signed and in what color marker etc etc. I thought that was pretty cool.
That goes above and beyond the call of duty. Props to PK. What marker?! :o: That's crazy.

Anyone else catch that moment during the Yankees game last night between Jeter and a young fan? Jeter was walking back to the dugout after an at-bat and said something to the youngster (had to be about 5 or 6 years old). Then he tossed the kid his batting gloves. The kid's face lit up like the sun and stayed that way. There's a Yankee fan for life. Props to Jeter.

bafiarocks03
04-19-2005, 04:52 PM

Any comments or tips?

awww..see Willie is the awesomest! yea it's a word! lol why didn't you ask him to sign!? anyway...at home games, i always stand and wait for autographs, Aaron Rowand pretty much always comes over, same with Paulee! Joe too! sometimes!

Shorty1983
04-19-2005, 05:08 PM
http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog984/folder2594/img815330.jpg

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=59624236&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=59970946

opening day ball signed by Mark, bid now on mlb.com

pearso66
04-20-2005, 12:07 AM
The only autograph I got at a sox game was back when Tim Raines was playing on the team. a couple fans stopped his car after the game, and he signed my hat. Unfortunately I was young, and lost it.

chisoxfanatic
04-20-2005, 12:48 AM
I got Carlos Lee's autograph right by the White Sox parking lot fence after a game.

I got Ray Durham's at the Sports Authority in Woodridge when I used to live in Bolingbrook.

Both are on the same hat.

Streets
04-20-2005, 01:19 AM
The only autograph I ever got on a gameday was Harold Baines, two years ago. This was before he was a full time coach. He signed my '83 style cap and totally made my day!

jake27
04-20-2005, 10:19 AM

Any comments or tips?

try mailing the players cards or osmething c/o chicago white sox. ive got about 2 or 3 joe crede thigns, a feew konerkos, willie, etc etc. a lot of players sign through the mail. i sent bartolo colon a poster (when he wa son the sox) with him, garland, buehrle, and danny wright on it and asked if he could get the other players to sign it. i get it back and everyone did. the players parking lot after a game a lot of players sign, konerko does a lot. also, if your over 15ish, the cdhances of you getting an autograph go down big time. just yesterday derek lowe was signin autogaphs and i asked him, he looked at me and left :(: . but ne who try through the mail, 80% of the sox will sign through the mail.

HITMEN OF 77
04-20-2005, 11:04 AM
try mailing the players cards or osmething c/o chicago white sox. ive got about 2 or 3 joe crede thigns, a feew konerkos, willie, etc etc. a lot of players sign through the mail. i sent bartolo colon a poster (when he wa son the sox) with him, garland, buehrle, and danny wright on it and asked if he could get the other players to sign it. i get it back and everyone did.

The ushers have a lot of free time while the Sox are on the road and like reading fan mail and signing autographs for all the players.

mike squires
04-20-2005, 04:59 PM
How is Iguchi and Shingo at the park?

Foulke29
04-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Cool story - in 2000, my brother and our sig-os went down to St. Louis for a Sox game. Kids were yelling left and right to get autographs from Sox players stretching. They were either screaming their last names or the numbers on their jerseys.

I was just sitting there watching, and not a one came over. So I get up and walk to the wall and yell out to the field, "Hey Paul, how about some autographs." He turned around, looking kind of surprised that someone yelled his first name and came over ans started signing autographs for the kids. He got to me and my brother, and I really didn't have a pen or anything for him to sign, so he looked at me confused, and I said (keeping in mind that I'm wearing a Sox jersey), "Thanks man. It was nice of you to sign for the kids, but I already have a couple of yours." Even though I didn't. He stopped and talked with my brother for a few minutes, and I asked him if ne was playing that day. He rolled his eyes and said, "Yeah right." I laughed and said that he should be - just to be nice b/c Thomas was hot that day. He smiled and made his way down the line signing a few more for the other kids around.

SouthSide4Life
04-20-2005, 06:16 PM
i wish it was like way back in the day when guys like Babe Ruth and Roger Maris would stop and buy kids hot dogs and popcorn along with giving their john hancock. it seems like over the years player/fan relationship has dropped a whole lot. i dont mean to put a downer on the subject or anything but those were The Golden Years of baseball.

Mark Buehrle
04-20-2005, 06:24 PM
When I was at Sox Fest I was so close to getting Crazy Carl's. He wouldn't sign many, and he signed the card of the person right next to me (the last one he signed), so I imagine he would have signed mine next =/

AJPosguchi
04-20-2005, 11:46 PM
I got Paulie last year at Spring Training at the practice fields, he was very friendy.

I got ARow this year at Spring Training at TEP prior to the game, but he was the only player signing that day.

AJPosguchi
04-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Oh yeah, try taking in a Sox game at KC, I drove up just before the game two years ago, bought a ticket and sat right behind the dugout. I think there were 2,000 folks in the seats, max. Could have gotten quite a few graphs that day, but didn't.

Rudy Law
04-21-2005, 12:22 AM
The best way to get autographs is to go to COMISKEy at about 2:30- 3:00 and sit out by Gate 4....When the palyers pull in to the parking lot, they are usally pretty good about signing stuff....I have gotten plenty of autographs that way.....Best thing is to bring someone with you that can camp out back to.....

BRDSR
04-21-2005, 01:41 AM
awww..see Willie is the awesomest! yea it's a word! lol why didn't you ask him to sign!? anyway...at home games, i always stand and wait for autographs, Aaron Rowand pretty much always comes over, same with Paulee! Joe too! sometimes!

:hawk

"I looooove exclamation points."