PDA

View Full Version : Should Carl have gotten a "curtain call" last nite?

Hangar18
04-19-2005, 11:18 AM
I noticed how after his 2nd homer, giving us the lead for good,
and how clutch a hit it was, SOX fans were too busy chanting
Paulie! Paulie! instead of giving the man his props. curious.

Hangar18
04-19-2005, 11:19 AM
Sox fans did make up for it though, giving him a Standing O his next at bat.

mweflen
04-19-2005, 11:26 AM
i don't think the fans have completely embraced Carl just yet. You can judge this from pregame applause. That may change if present trends continue, however...

soltrain21
04-19-2005, 11:27 AM
I bet Carl wouldn't have even came out. I doubt he is a big fan of the curtain call. Remember his "fly by night" statement?

batmanZoSo
04-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Remember his Sox fans are scum and I'll never give a curtain call statement? :D: That's why.

If you ask me, the half-price hillbillies were probably so drunk they actually thought that was Konerko hitting the two homers. If you've ever been to half-price night, you might be inclined to agree.

HITMEN OF 77
04-19-2005, 12:33 PM
PK got a curtain call Sat after his 2nd homer.

Jjav829
04-19-2005, 12:44 PM
Should he have? Probably. But Carl's not the fan favorite Paulie is.

chisoxfanatic
04-19-2005, 12:48 PM
I agree that Carl did deserve a curtain call last night after his monster home run in the 6th. In his brief stint here, he's done much of what's been expected out of him, and we cannot thank him enough for it. The fact that he did it against our biggest rival should've made it even more special.

It was great that fans stood up and gave him an ovation when he came up to bat in the 8th. As long as Carl feels appreciated, however, all will be ok.

voodoochile
04-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Carl had a rough year last year and is still working his way into the fans' trust. In addition, he is not the kind of guy who seeks individual accolades. He has said as much time and time again and his actions as team leader this season are bearing that out.

Carl keeps hitting clutch HR's, the fans will come around. Carl still may not come out of the dugout especially this early in the season, but if the Sox keep winning, I doubt anyone will care.

JoseCanseco6969
04-19-2005, 12:50 PM

Yeah i thought he deserved it and although I'm not the type to discourage chanting...that time it was uncalled for and dumb. At least wait a couple pitches or something.

nlentz88
04-19-2005, 12:50 PM

I went nuts after Carl's second homer, but yeah, I was among those chanting for Paulie afterwards. And why? Because we only had a two run lead! I wanted Paulie to get a hit and keep the momentum going. With our closer situation, we shouldn't be content with a two run lead. The energy was high in the stadium, and the fans wanted to keep it high.

Also, I do think there's something to what mweflen said. Personally, I don't agree with Crazy Carl's belief system, and his personality leaves something to be desired. However, he's been a big part of why the Sox are 9-4. If he keeps this up, he'll certainly have earned a new fan in me.

Jjav829
04-19-2005, 12:56 PM
Carl had a rough year last year and is still working his way into the fans' trust. In addition, he is not the kind of guy who seeks individual accolades. He has said as much time and time again and his actions as team leader this season are bearing that out.

Carl keeps hitting clutch HR's, the fans will come around. Carl still may not come out of the dugout especially this early in the season, but if the Sox keep winning, I doubt anyone will care.

I think he'd come out and give a wave. Look at what Paulie did. He clearly didn't want to take that curtain call but the crowd was too loud. Besides, it's not really seeking individual accolades. It's just recognizing the fans and showing them that you appreciate them.

I was kind of surprised by the Paulie one. The crowd seemed pretty loud given that it wasn't that big of a home run at the time.

gosox3072
04-19-2005, 01:55 PM
the half-price hillbillies were probably so drunk

Easy batman

I was chanting paulie, but that was hoping that we would increase our lead from 2 to 3. We gave carl quite an oviation in my opinion, i slaped about 20 high 5s after that

NSSoxFan
04-19-2005, 02:00 PM

Simple as that. Nicely said.

Hangar18
04-19-2005, 02:05 PM
His clutch hits early on are quickly making me a fan of his.
Wow did we need that HR when he hit it ....... :smile: :smile:

stillz
04-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Easy batman

I was chanting paulie, but that was hoping that we would increase our lead from 2 to 3. We gave carl quite an oviation in my opinion, i slaped about 20 high 5s after that

Gotta defend batman... While maybe not all drunk and/or from the hills, the mean-spirited/ignorant folks who show up on half-price night really poison the atmosphere at the Cell. And it seems most could care less about the action on the field.

But if we all keep slaping 5s, I suppose it's all good.

Knockoutinthepar
04-19-2005, 02:19 PM
I'm disappointed that Iguchi's not getting any props. The man's in a foreign country, hitting over .300 in a new league--dude needs some love. Its just not cool to hear the crowd go silent when he walks up to the plate.

batmanZoSo
04-19-2005, 02:19 PM
Gotta defend batman... While maybe not all drunk and/or from the hills, the mean-spirited/ignorant folks who show up on half-price night really poison the atmosphere at the Cell. And it seems most could care less about the action on the field.

But if we all keep slaping 5s, I suppose it's all good.

I went to the game Sunday, no fights. Monday, several fights. It's empirical evidence. :wink:

MRKARNO
04-19-2005, 02:23 PM
I think he'd come out and give a wave. Look at what Paulie did. He clearly didn't want to take that curtain call but the crowd was too loud. Besides, it's not really seeking individual accolades. It's just recognizing the fans and showing them that you appreciate them.

I was kind of surprised by the Paulie one. The crowd seemed pretty loud given that it wasn't that big of a home run at the time.

I would say the crowd on Saturday was a pretty decent crowd in terms of baseball-saavy, but I still don't think most people noticed how incredible Buehrle was until the 8th inning or so. That is partially the fault of two things though. The first is that White Sox fans are not conditioned for double-digit strikeout performances because it never happens except maybe once a year. Another thing is that they dont have something which lists the pitcher's strikeouts except when they occasionally flash it on the tiny board in right field.

But two homers in a game deserves a curtain call in my book. Pauly deserved his and Carl should have gotten one too.

TaylorStSox
04-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Curtain calls are way overdone anyway. Multi homer games don't deserve curtain calls IMO. In fact, there shouldn't be more than 10 or so a year.

dirty_k
04-19-2005, 03:38 PM
got a nice applause in his last at bat. After his second homer the game was still very much in question for the outcome so no curtain call should be given. Too early, it should be used when a great performance has been given and the game is nearly won. Just my opinion.

BigEdWalsh
04-19-2005, 06:16 PM
If there was no curtain call, so be it. The way I look at it, Carl could probably care less. The crowd was going absolutely nuts and that's good enough. By the way, did he crush that one or what?!
I joined in the "Paulie! Paulie!!" chant. Why not? Nice time for a back-to-back. Like others have said, we just wanted to keep that momentum going.
Besides, Carl got a mostly-standing ovation for his last at bat.