PDA

View Full Version : Sox fans aren't the only ones fed up with ESPN's BS

dcb33
04-19-2005, 12:15 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3549960

chisoxmike
04-19-2005, 12:32 PM
ESPN spokeswoman Diane Lamb said the network's coverage of the Nationals is comparable to that of the 29 other major league teams.

WHAT BULL****!

:bs:

Flight #24
04-19-2005, 12:43 PM
I believe she means comparable to 25 other teams. I.e. teams not from NY, Boston, or the North Side of Chicago....

Uncle_Patrick
04-19-2005, 02:05 PM
ESPN spokeswoman Diane Lamb said the network's coverage of the Nationals is comparable to that of the 29 other major league teams.

That's a crock. I was in Florida all of last week and had to check the ESPNews channel for Sox scores. If they showed highlights, its generally one or two plays. The night of the Sheffield incident in Boston, I watched that channel for an hour and a half waiting for a Sox highlight and got nothing.

mikehuff
04-19-2005, 03:20 PM
I bet Fox Sports loved getting a good rip in on their competition.

batmanZoSo
04-19-2005, 03:32 PM

You could compare anything to anything I guess.

fledgedrallycap
04-19-2005, 03:38 PM
This could be taken out of context, but this wasn't exactly necessary:

"We're glad that Frank tunes to ESPN for his baseball news," Lamb said.

JoseCanseco6969
04-19-2005, 05:19 PM
This could be taken out of context, but this wasn't exactly necessary:

"We're glad that Frank tunes to ESPN for his baseball news," Lamb said.

Can someone make up a pic that says something along the lines of ESPN SUCKS or something comparable, maybe photoshop. I would do it if I was any good at it.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2005, 07:45 PM
As a matter of fact Fox Sports Radio was laughing about it during their national sports report's this afternoon.

Lip

Fenway
04-19-2005, 07:55 PM
I guarentee you that something that happened in tonights Toronto-Boston game will be featured on SportsCenter.

Manny crushed a ball that wound up on I-90 well over 500 feet from home and very close to 600.

Nobody can remember a ball at Fenway hit that far in a game. McGwire did it in the Home Run Derby with a special ball.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4+yawkey+way+boston&spn=0.007231235504150391,0.010213851928710938&t=k&hl=en

ball was CRUSHED

hose
04-19-2005, 11:36 PM
BBT is basically Boston/NY/ Cub now that Bonds isn't playing.

I don't even bother trying to watch anymore.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Hose:

Agree...who cares...besides Dave Nicholson hit the longest ball in baseball history on May 6,1964 off the A's Moe Drabowski (who pitched for the Sox in 1972.)

The ball cleared the 375 foot marker at the original Comiskey Park, it was found 135 feet from the base of the left field wall. Basically the ball cleared the roof and was found in Armour Square. So you have a minimum distance of 510 feet PLUS the distance to climb over the roof. That's a 600 foot blast minimum.

Lip

ChiSox14305635
04-20-2005, 02:24 AM
I guarentee you that something that happened in tonights Toronto-Boston game will be featured on SportsCenter.

Manny crushed a ball that wound up on I-90 well over 500 feet from home and very close to 600.

Nobody can remember a ball at Fenway hit that far in a game. McGwire did it in the Home Run Derby with a special ball.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4+yawkey+way+boston&spn=0.007231235504150391,0.010213851928710938&t=k&hl=en

ball was CRUSHED

Right you are sir. I'm watching the late edition of Sportscenter, and they showed it within the first 10 minutes of the show. Meanwhile, it's 25 minutes, and after Yanks/BoSox/Cubs/Braves/Dodgers/NBA/NFL draft highlights, nothing on the White Sox.

ChiSox14305635
04-20-2005, 02:47 AM
45 minutes after the show started, the Sox-Twins highlights were shown (2 to be precise, Konerko getting robbed in the 1st by Jacques Jones, & his homer in the 6th).

It was so nice to be able to get some real coverage courtesy of Chicago Tribune Live. ESPN does nothing to surprise me anymore.

Oh yeah, on ESPNews, in their half hour segments, it took almost 20 minutes for the highlights to be shown. Whatever.

ChiSox14305635
04-20-2005, 02:53 AM
For some reason, after the commercial break, ESPN replayed the same Sox/Twins, Royals/Indians highlights again. You'd think their million dollar editing department would've caught this, even with it being the late edition. Again, whatever.

FedEx227
04-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Can someone make up a pic that says something along the lines of ESPN SUCKS or something comparable, maybe photoshop. I would do it if I was any good at it.

I'll work on this later when I get home from work :)

Fenway
04-20-2005, 03:05 PM
Part of the reason for the so called east coast bias is simple. Games in the eastern time zone end earlier so it is easier for ESPN to block out the segment for Sports Center at 11 Eastern. Many times at 11 games in CDT have not finished which presents problem #2, while ESPN's contract with MLB allows up to the minute highlights during Baseball Tonight, they can NOT in many cases show any highlights from a game that is still on the air back in it's local market.

So that is one reason why Eastern teams tend to lead Sports Center as the producer at least likes to block the first 20 minutes of the show as far ahead as he/she can.

Fenway
04-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Hose:

Agree...who cares...besides Dave Nicholson hit the longest ball in baseball history on May 6,1964 off the A's Moe Drabowski (who pitched for the Sox in 1972.)

The ball cleared the 375 foot marker at the original Comiskey Park, it was found 135 feet from the base of the left field wall. Basically the ball cleared the roof and was found in Armour Square. So you have a minimum distance of 510 feet PLUS the distance to climb over the roof. That's a 600 foot blast minimum.

Lip

The red dot shows where Manny's ball was picked up by a fan.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/mabrowndog/Fenway-MannyHR-041905.jpg

fledgedrallycap
04-20-2005, 03:49 PM
while ESPN's contract with MLB allows up to the minute highlights during Baseball Tonight, they can NOT in many cases show any highlights from a game that is still on the air back in it's local market.

How does that statement make any sense? Either they show highlights of the game in progress or they don't. Last time I watched, they break into games in any market as they see fit...

The simple fact of the matter is from a business point-of-view, the Yankees and Red Sox have the most viewers A) because of their fanbase size & B) their games are finished by the time Baseball tonight airs.

This is only from the Baseball Tonight point of view, other outlets have the same spin without the excuses.

Fenway
04-20-2005, 04:00 PM
For example they can not show NESN highlights until NESN ends their game telecast but another team may give permission. Baseball Tonight doesn't matter they can take highlights at will. ESPN also has the right to go to any game LIVE if a special event is happening.

It is confusing as heck and the rules drive them batty in Bristol. A couple of years ago they explored this problem in detail in the live "The Making of SportsCenter". Somebody had hit 3 home runs in a game and couldn't air anything until the telecast ended in the home market.

How does that statement make any sense? Either they show highlights of the game in progress or they don't. Last time I watched, they break into games in any market as they see fit...

The simple fact of the matter is from a business point-of-view, the Yankees and Red Sox have the most viewers A) because of their fanbase size & B) their games are finished by the time Baseball tonight airs.

This is only from the Baseball Tonight point of view, other outlets have the same spin without the excuses.

Stealth
04-20-2005, 04:28 PM
Baseball tonight last night. This was within the first 5 minutes.

Manny's homer.
Prior's pitching and Patterson's catch slamming into the wall.
Gammons saying the cubs will be fine.
Dodger highlights.

Last minute of the show.

Paul Konerko's HR and that was the lone clip on the Sox game.

You can draw your own conclusions if there is a bias or not.:rolleyes:

Fenway
04-20-2005, 04:39 PM
On their website this morning was this gem

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/AL_champs_ESPN.jpg

SABRSox
04-20-2005, 07:03 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2708&stc=1

SomebodyToldMe
04-20-2005, 08:12 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2708&stc=1

That's friggin' awesome!

FedEx227
04-20-2005, 09:20 PM
haha, awesome job man...beat me to it, but thats fine, my idea was actually to put the yanks, red sox, cubs, then a cludder of those 3 into the N, but the same concept...awesome job :) we gotta make sure we make that a smilie.

WhteSox725
04-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Does anyone listen to ESPN radio in the morning? On my way in to work every morning I catch their Sportscenter update at 7:20 am. For the past three days they have neglected to include the White Sox score from the night before. How can they not include the score of the team with the best record in the American League? You can be sure though the minute the Sox lose a game they will be included in the updates again. :rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
04-21-2005, 12:50 PM
Fenway:

With respect...who cares? And who knows how far the ball rolled. I'll stand by my comments about Nicholson.

Lip

Bobbo35
04-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Does anyone listen to ESPN radio in the morning? On my way in to work every morning I catch their Sportscenter update at 7:20 am. For the past three days they have neglected to include the White Sox score from the night before. How can they not include the score of the team with the best record in the American League? You can be sure though the minute the Sox lose a game they will be included in the updates again. :rolleyes:

Ya, it blows my mind too. It really drives me nuts. One of the reason's why I have road rage. White Sox radio, anybody want to start a station? That would be great.

All Sox Talk, All the Time.

Dick Allen
04-21-2005, 06:58 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2708&stc=1The N should have the Mets logo. That completes it.