PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day - 4/ 19

Lip Man 1
04-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Did anyone else see this in the newspaper today?

"I told him how happy and proud I was of him with his spring training comments about how he feels about the club, how he fits and his willingness to sit against certain right-handed pitchers," -- Ken Williams to Mark Gonzales, Chicago Tribune.

Did I miss something? or is the 'plan' to start making Frank a part time player?

If anyone has seen something like this previously please let me know because I was shocked at the statements by Kenny.

Again maybe it doesn't mean anything or perhaps it's another 'hint' about Frank's future with the Sox after this season.

Lip

Iwritecode
04-19-2005, 12:12 PM

"I told him how happy and proud I was of him with his spring training comments about how he feels about the club, how he fits and his willingness to sit against certain right-handed pitchers," -- Ken Williams to Mark Gonzales, Chicago Tribune.

Did I miss something? or is the 'plan' to start making Frank a part time player?

If anyone has seen something like this previously please let me know because I was shocked at the statements by Kenny.

Again maybe it doesn't mean anything or perhaps it's another 'hint' about Frank's future with the Sox after this season.

Lip

I heard a quote from Frank himself saying something about if there was a tough pitcher that he had trouble hitting, that he might have to sit out and let Carl DH instead.

I think it was on the radio yesterday and not in print though...

Ol' No. 2
04-19-2005, 12:13 PM

"I told him how happy and proud I was of him with his spring training comments about how he feels about the club, how he fits and his willingness to sit against certain right-handed pitchers,"-- Ken Williams to Mark Gonzales, Chicago Tribune.

LipI saw that, too. I think it's in the category of the entirely hypothetical.

Flight #24
04-19-2005, 12:13 PM

"I told him how happy and proud I was of him with his spring training comments about how he feels about the club, how he fits and his willingness to sit against certain right-handed pitchers,"-- Ken Williams to Mark Gonzales, Chicago Tribune.

Lip

Or maybe it means exactly what it says: against the few guys that Frank has trouble with, he'll sit. That doesn't make him a part-time player, it just means that he's willing to do what's best for the team.

And in terms of "hints" about Frank's future, you choose to focus on the 2d half of the comment, why not focus on the first half? That would indicate that Kenny likes Frank's attitude, i.e. he doesn't think he's the bad attitude / bad guy anymore. Thus decreasing the chance that he wants to let Frank go (barring performance issues).

Lip Man 1
04-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Flight:

Since when has Frank Thomas EVER had trouble against any particular pitcher?

Given his ability to draw walks (which some feel is so important) even if he's not hitting say .300 against every pitcher currently in MLB that ability more then makes up for 'lack' of average doesn't it?

Lip

SoxOnTop
04-19-2005, 12:33 PM
From the Trib on Saturday:

"It'll be the same [as previously]," Thomas said. "Carl is an outfielder, he always has been an outfielder. I don't think that's going to be a problem. We have interchangeable parts. Guys are playing great team baseball and that's what it's all about. There are right-handers who give me fits. Those days I'll be on the bench."

It's just Frank asserting that he still is a prescence and expects to play, but will do what's best for the team. Just a great attitude from the Big Hurt. Looks like for once in his life he's finally learned how to talk to the media. I never thought that Frank was as selfish and brooding as they made him out, but he's always been his own worst nightmare when it comes to PR. Perhaps he's finally learned a few things.

Flight #24
04-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Flight:

Given his ability to draw walks (which some feel is so important) even if he's not hitting say .300 against every pitcher currently in MLB that ability more then makes up for 'lack' of average doesn't it?

Lip

I dont' know specifics, but I know that I can recall him batting and hearing that he's "not done well career" against some guys. I can't find any specific pitchers, but ESPN has Frank as batting .213 with a decent but not great .348OBP against Detroit the past 3 years (127ABs). If he has similar stats against a specific guy, I could see sitting him for the LH hitting Carl (assuming Carl has better #s). It would be certain specific instances, not enough to make him a platoon-type of guy.

Edit: See SoxonTop's post above. This seems like taking something and blowing it way way up & out of proportion. Frank's just saying that if warranted, he'll do what's best for the team rather than trying to maximize his ABs and get to 500HR or something. That's a GOOD thing, and that KW recognizes it bodes WELL for Frank's long-term future with the Sox.

jabrch
04-19-2005, 12:34 PM
This seems fairly simple to me. Everett, Dye and Thomas all have histories of injuries. Pods and Rowand both would serve well from an occasional day off as well. We have 5 guys to play 3 OF spots and a DH spot. Frank is not going to DH every day. He will be given days off from time to time. That's neither a surprise to me, nor should it be a problem. Given his injuries, you would rather him stay fresh all season if that is possible. If there is a particularly nasty righty, why not select that day to sit him?

kittle42
04-19-2005, 12:35 PM
Flight:

He's not a starter, but Jeff Nelson.

batmanZoSo
04-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Flight:

Lip

Jeff Nelson for one...

Ozzie's just assuming that Frank will be slow to get back to top form after the injury, in which case I'd agree to sit him every now and then. But if Frank is hitting like Frank out of the gate, believe me he'll be playing every day. If everyone's at full strength, he's still head and shoulders above anyone else.

Iwritecode
04-19-2005, 12:51 PM
From the Trib on Saturday:

"It'll be the same [as previously]," Thomas said. "Carl is an outfielder, he always has been an outfielder. I don't think that's going to be a problem. We have interchangeable parts. Guys are playing great team baseball and that's what it's all about. There are right-handers who give me fits. Those days I'll be on the bench."

Thank you. I knew I had heard/read it somewhere.

:)

batmanZoSo
04-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Thank you. I knew I had heard/read it somewhere.

:)

Hm. Maybe we'll see a headline tomorrow reading Thomas completely unselfish, agrees to sit when struggling.

More like...

Thomas showing signs of age, lack of competitive fire as he agrees to smaller role on the team. He's also lazy and fat! Page 87.

Frater Perdurabo
04-19-2005, 01:06 PM

Lip

Frank himself mentioned the possibility of sitting against particular pitchers who in the past have given him fits. If the Sox know they will face such a pitcher, it would be smart for Frank to sit and pinch hit that night (against the opposing bullpen), particularly if the Sox are at home (where he can hit in the cages throughout the game). Sitting him against certain pitchers would make him a more effective player.

IIRC, both Carl and Paul Konerko will be free agents after 2005. Either one - or both - could turn good individual numbers in 2005 into free agent contract offers beyond the Sox willingness to pay them. Both, especially Carl, look to be on their way to good statistical seasons.

Consequently, even though Rogers mentions the Sox "plethora" of minor league hitters (Rogowski, Anderson, etc.) who will need to have a position, it's far from certain or even likely that Thomas would be the odd man out. Also, none of these minor league hitters is a sure thing. Remember Jeff Liefer?

I do think its likely that of the three - Paulie, Frank and Carl - at least one and possibly two could be gone in 2006. But I think of the three, Frank is the most likely to remain. Jerry Reinsdorf is a Frank fan and he personally could pick up Frank's option. Also, IIRC Frank has a player option. If so, Frank may exercise his player option to stay with the Sox.

Don't be so quick to assume Frank is gone after 2005, despite the punditocracy's pontifications.

FarWestChicago
04-19-2005, 04:51 PM

LipHow often do you scream "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater, Lip? Have you ever been arrested for it? :rolleyes:

daveeym
04-19-2005, 05:51 PM
How often do you scream "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater, Lip? Have you ever been arrested for it? :rolleyes: No kidding, and he does it just like the usual suspect mediots, feigns like he's shocked and can't believe it and that it's something that needs an uproar, instead of just stating it for what it is, a 36 year old(or whatever his age is) coming off of serious surgery that missed nearly an entire YEAR of time on the field.

kevingrt
04-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Frank did comment on how he is a "role-player" now. Does that mean a bench player? Most likely not but I think PK and Buerhle are the stars for now. But you never know, I would not be surprised at all if Frank comes back and hits 30+ HR's and bats above .310. Anything is possible from the Big Hurt.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Daveym:

Thank you for your contributions to my question. The others seemed to not have a problem with it.

Yes I was 'shocked' at the comment. Frank Thomas is 36 but is still an outstanding hitter as shown by his performance last year until his injury. I found it hard to believe that Kenny would make such a comment. I did not see Frank's comments about it which puts Williams' comments in an entirely different light.

As far as being like the other Chicago 'mediots,' I'd consider that an honor given the city they work in and the money they make. I'd love to have their take home pay for pissing off folks like you.

Hope to do it again in the future! :smile:

Lip

RKMeibalane
04-19-2005, 09:04 PM
This seems fairly simple to me. Everett, Dye and Thomas all have histories of injuries. Pods and Rowand both would serve well from an occasional day off as well. We have 5 guys to play 3 OF spots and a DH spot. Frank is not going to DH every day. He will be given days off from time to time. That's neither a surprise to me, nor should it be a problem. Given his injuries, you would rather him stay fresh all season if that is possible. If there is a particularly nasty righty, why not select that day to sit him?

I agree. I think all Frank is saying is that rather than playing 162 games each season, he's only going to play 145-150, if that analogy makes any sense. I don't have a problem with him sitting every once in a while. He will still be in the lineup at least 95% of the time. I think people are making too much of this. Let's just worry about what the Sox are doing as team. Besides, if Dye gets hurt, the Sox will have no choice but to play Frank every single game.

Flight #24
04-20-2005, 10:15 AM
In today's Southtown, KW was also quoted on when Frank might be ready:

"Now, it may turn out to be he gets all of that in 50 or 75 at-bats and he's ready,'' Williams added. "At that point in time, I will go down and make that determination."

Oh man - if KW's looking at reduced ABs in a rehab stint for Frank, that might mean he's projecting reduced ABs for him at the big-league level!!! He's making Frank a part-time player!!!

jabrch
04-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Besides, if Dye gets hurt, the Sox will have no choice but to play Frank every single game.

Even if Dye gets hurt, I don't want to see Frank play every day. Let's not overburden that foot once he gets back. There are lots of guys, even if Dye was to get hurt, who can play a game a week to spell Frank and Carl. Between Timo and Gload, I am comfortable on days those guys have to play that we can remain competitive. Frank won't play every game once he gets back. It is great that we have this sort of depth.

daveeym
04-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Daveym:

Thank you for your contributions to my question. The others seemed to not have a problem with it.

Yes I was 'shocked' at the comment. Frank Thomas is 36 but is still an outstanding hitter as shown by his performance last year until his injury. I found it hard to believe that Kenny would make such a comment. I did not see Frank's comments about it which puts Williams' comments in an entirely different light.

As far as being like the other Chicago 'mediots,' I'd consider that an honor given the city they work in and the money they make. I'd love to have their take home pay for pissing off folks like you.

Hope to do it again in the future! :smile:

Lip Like you could piss me off lip, just pointing out how old and tired your schtick is just like the rest of em.

RKMeibalane
04-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Even if Dye gets hurt, I don't want to see Frank play every day. Let's not overburden that foot once he gets back. There are lots of guys, even if Dye was to get hurt, who can play a game a week to spell Frank and Carl. Between Timo and Gload, I am comfortable on days those guys have to play that we can remain competitive. Frank won't play every game once he gets back. It is great that we have this sort of depth.

I agree. At this point, though, I think it's probably too soon to jump to conclusions. Frank has been hitting the ball well in batting practice, but there's no way to know how the ankle will respond to the everyday grind of actual baseball. As I said in my previous post, I see Frank being a player who plays roughly 95% of the games he's availible for, rather than 100% as in years past. The Sox have their deepest team in more than a decade. There's no reason why they shouldn't take advantage of that.

jabrch
04-20-2005, 12:45 PM
I agree. At this point, though, I think it's probably too soon to jump to conclusions. Frank has been hitting the ball well in batting practice, but there's no way to know how the ankle will respond to the everyday grind of actual baseball. As I said in my previous post, I see Frank being a player who plays roughly 95% of the games he's availible for, rather than 100% as in years past. The Sox have their deepest team in more than a decade. There's no reason why they shouldn't take advantage of that.

Amen! Depth is a great thing!