PDA

View Full Version : Scum Times gets attendance wrong...

mweflen
04-19-2005, 11:30 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sside19.html

Hunter endured the boos of 21,783 fans

Did they have some sort of fan calculator that told them that only 21,783 of the announced 27,018 (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2005_04_18_minmlb_chamlb_1&c_id=mlb) fans were Sox fans or something?

itsnotrequired
04-19-2005, 11:31 AM
Chicago media makes a mistake about the Sox? Who'd of thunk it...

skottyj242
04-19-2005, 11:32 AM
It was right in the box score and that's all that really matters.

jabrch
04-19-2005, 11:35 AM
It was right in the box score and that's all that really matters.

:reinsey
"It was right in my wallet...THAT's ALL THAT REALLY MATTERS'

Foulke You
04-19-2005, 11:36 AM
There was another mistake in the Gardenhire quote that called Dustin Hermanson "Chad Hermanson". Not sure if this error was on Gardenhire's part or if the Sun Times writer just typed it wrong.

Kadafi311
04-19-2005, 11:36 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sside19.html

Did they have some sort of fan calculator that told them that only 21,783 of the announced 27,018 (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2005_04_18_minmlb_chamlb_1&c_id=mlb) fans were Sox fans or something?

On the bright side, at least they got it wrong the right way. :D:

mweflen
04-19-2005, 11:39 AM
On the bright side, at least they got it wrong the right way. :D:

eh?:?:

Kadafi311
04-19-2005, 11:46 AM
eh?:?:

Erg, scratch that - dyslexic moment. I read it as 27,783. :rolleyes:

mweflen
04-19-2005, 11:49 AM
just irks me that we finally get a halfway decent crowd, and they report it as if it's a regular half-full/half-empty scenario.

Foulke You
04-19-2005, 11:55 AM
just irks me that we finally get a halfway decent crowd, and they report it as if it's a regular half-full/half-empty scenario.
For what it's worth, in Moronotti's waste of space column today, he mentioned "in front of a sizeable crowd at the Cell".

BRDSR
04-19-2005, 12:01 PM
For what it's worth, in Moronotti's waste of space column today, he mentioned "in front of a sizeable crowd at the Cell".

Hmmm...worth nothing. Lets run him out of town.

batmanZoSo
04-19-2005, 12:02 PM

That's surprising. Even I thought we could've done better. Especially with this weather. I was expecting around 31,000. NOT that I'm complaining, I'm just making a statement. We just don't get enough advance sales in April to draw big crowds, no one expects this kind of weather when they buy these tickets beforehand. This same game and weather in June would've been one of those near sellouts.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2005, 12:11 PM
When the capacity of the park is 'only' 40 thousand or so, a crowd of 27 thousand IS a big crowd.

Let's not lose site of the fact that the number of seats has dropped since the 'original' new Comiskey Park opened in 1991.

Lip

mweflen
04-19-2005, 12:28 PM
eh, the upper deck was only 1/3 full. bathrooms and concessions were easily obtainable on the UD. so i don't consider it a "big" crowd. 30,000 plus (6 or 7k in the UD) is a big crowd.

WhiteSoxFan84
04-19-2005, 12:43 PM

technically, the stadium was pretty close to half empty. ESPN had the stadium at 57.4% full (27,018). I was disappointted in the size of the crowd last night. I was hoping for at least 30,000. Maybe the pitching matchup had something to do with it. Hopefully tonight the crowd is better and the Sox win again.

anyone know how many walk-ups we had? there seemed to be a LOT of people just buying tickets at the windows.

mweflen
04-19-2005, 12:47 PM
technically, the stadium was pretty close to half empty. ESPN had the stadium at 57.4% full (27,018). I was disappointted in the size of the crowd last night. I was hoping for at least 30,000. Maybe the pitching matchup had something to do with it. Hopefully tonight the crowd is better and the Sox win again.

ESPN is wrong (!)- that figure is based on a 47,000 capacity, which we have not had since 2003.

at a 40,600 capacity, the Cell was 66.5% full last night.

Sorry to tell you, no way tonight's crowd surpasses last night's. Last season, Tuesdays always underdrew Mondays, and that was with pepsi half price in every section. No way in the universe 2-for-1 Upper Deck outdraws Half Price Monday.

I would estimate there were 8-10,000 walkups last night. The smart fans bought their monday tix in advance.

mweflen
04-19-2005, 01:01 PM
just emailed ESPN.com asking them to update their park info, maybe get a picture from the past 2 years, etc.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/stadium?team=chw

WhiteSoxFan84
04-19-2005, 01:01 PM
ESPN is wrong (!)- that figure is based on a 47,000 capacity, which we have not had since 2003.

at a 40,600 capacity, the Cell was 66.5% full last night.

Sorry to tell you, no way tonight's crowd surpasses last night's. Last season, Tuesdays always underdrew Mondays, and that was with pepsi half price in every section. No way in the universe 2-for-1 Upper Deck outdraws Half Price Monday.

I would estimate there were 8-10,000 walkups last night. The smart fans bought their monday tix in advance.

I highly doubt tonight's crowd will be bigger than last night's but I do think it will be around 23,000.

I bought my tix for last night's game the first day tix were on sale.

WhiteSoxFan84
04-19-2005, 01:03 PM
just emailed ESPN.com asking them to update their park info, maybe get a picture from the past 2 years, etc.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/stadium?team=chw

2004 Attendance:
Home Games: 79
Total Attendance: 1,930,537
Percent Capacity: 61.1%
Rank (by Pct. Cap.): 17th
Per-Game Average: 24,437
Rank (by Average): 22nd</FONT>

79? what am I forgetting?

Max Power
04-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Does anyone know or have an estimate of how many season ticket holder we have? 10k or so? So last night 17k bought tickets for the game (day of, or in advance). I think that's pretty good for an April game on a weeknight. I wish there were more people, but I wasn't disappointed in the number. More season ticket holders is what we need.

mweflen
04-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Does anyone know or have an estimate of how many season ticket holder we have? 10k or so? So last night 17k bought tickets for the game (day of, or in advance). I think that's pretty good for an April game on a weeknight. I wish there were more people, but I wasn't disappointed in the number. More season ticket holders is what we need.

that number is a closely guarded secret. I would guess 15k or so, factoring in all the 1/3 season plans.

ewokpelts
04-19-2005, 01:56 PM
that number is a closely guarded secret. I would guess 15k or so, factoring in all the 1/3 season plans.not that secret....thier seaon ticket goals are 10k Full Season Equivalents...that was thier 2004 goal, knowing they's lose asg ticket buyers......2005 has had better sales, and that's not factor ing 9/13 game plans(which are handled by the st sales force)
Gene

JoseCanseco6969
04-19-2005, 01:57 PM

maybe the 2 rainouts. the double header with the O's and makeup game with the Phillies

fincher
04-19-2005, 02:21 PM
I was disappointted in the size of the crowd last night. I was hoping for at least 30,000. Maybe the pitching matchup had something to do with it. Hopefully tonight the crowd is better and the Sox win again..

Don't be too disappointed. It was a good, energetic crowd. If the Sox keep winning, those Monday games will be over 30,000 easily. Unfortunately its April and aside from the diehards, etc., the casual fan hasn't taken notice quite yet despite the fact the walk-up was very solid.

Keep winning and 27,000 per game could be the average attendance for all games.

mweflen
04-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Don't be too disappointed. It was a good, energetic crowd. If the Sox keep winning, those Monday games will be over 30,000 easily. Unfortunately its April and aside from the diehards, etc., the casual fan hasn't taken notice quite yet despite the fact the walk-up was very solid.

Keep winning and 27,000 per game could be the average attendance for all games.

i think there's a good chance we could average 26 or 27k this year - last year's average was 24, with a so-so team. There's a lot of buzz this year, and they should improve their record. We ought to top 2 mil this year.

TornLabrum
04-19-2005, 03:28 PM
That's surprising. Even I thought we could've done better. Especially with this weather. I was expecting around 31,000. NOT that I'm complaining, I'm just making a statement. We just don't get enough advance sales in April to draw big crowds, no one expects this kind of weather when they buy these tickets beforehand. This same game and weather in June would've been one of those near sellouts.

One more time:

It's April. The Sox don't draw well until Memorial Day!

ewokpelts
04-19-2005, 04:03 PM
One more time:

It's April. The Sox don't draw well until Memorial Day! correct.....let's not forget that last night was the first of 9 half price mondays.....and there are the teachers night vouchers, and a whole bunch of half off nights on ticketbastard.com........and then everyone seems to forget that there are 10 games that are guranteed sold out...they just happen to fall in june-august...
Gene

itsnotrequired
04-19-2005, 04:06 PM
correct.....let's not forget that last night was the first of 9 half price mondays.....and there are the teachers night vouchers, and a whole bunch of half off nights on ticketbastard.com........and then everyone seems to forget that there are 10 games that are guranteed sold out...they just happen to fall in june-august...
Gene

Aside from the Cubs games, does anyone know what other games are already sold out? Red Sox?

mweflen
04-19-2005, 04:19 PM
the lower bowl is close to sold out for the Baltimore series - there are still plenty of UD tix available, however.

The Red Sox series is close to sold out both LD and UD - probably 5000 total seats left.

The Yankee$ series is also close to sold out - also about 5k seats left.

peeonwrigley
04-19-2005, 04:54 PM

Well, we play 3 games against the cubs, for which we only get credit for one home game because as we know, their fans dominate the market and obviously sell out our park. (Nevermind our season ticket and partial season ticket holders getting all those tickets....)

ewokpelts
04-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Aside from the Cubs games, does anyone know what other games are already sold out? Red Sox?
yankmees, blow sawks, dodgers.....i guess you can add 35,000+ for baltimore...
Gene

Epark84
04-19-2005, 05:23 PM

I dont put much credence into anything mariotti said, but there were some things in the article that got me thinking. If everett keeps this up, he has to play, simple as that. But you arent gonna bench frank obviously, unless he just cannot stay healthy or is a shell of himself coming back, but i dont think he will come back unless he is ready to go. The bottom line is that one of the 3 outfielders sits. Whoever is not playing well at the time. If Thomas came back today, it would be dye. But you need everetts bat in the lineup. I dont want him and frank splitting time. Posednik and dye have not impressed me at all so far. Rowand is starting to come around after a slow start, but none of them are above being a fourth outfielder/spot starter at this point.

And on another note, why doest ozzie just keep his mouth shut?

Ol' No. 2
04-19-2005, 05:29 PM
That's surprising. Even I thought we could've done better. Especially with this weather. I was expecting around 31,000. NOT that I'm complaining, I'm just making a statement. We just don't get enough advance sales in April to draw big crowds, no one expects this kind of weather when they buy these tickets beforehand. This same game and weather in June would've been one of those near sellouts.I was predicting more, too, but it's a school night. If this game was in June, there would be 35,000 easy.