PDA

View Full Version : Frank's Option

mweflen
04-19-2005, 11:00 AM
I think we should just pay him the 10 mil, personally. I think he'll club his 65 HR in the next 2 seasons, make 500, and help us out. Look at his full year after the triceps thing. I also think it would be a class move by sox mgmt. that the fans would appreciate.

Flight #24
04-19-2005, 11:04 AM
Ummm....none of the above.

Renegotiate his contract with an extension that pays him about $8mil/yr for 2-3 years and avoid either accepting the $10.5mil or buying him out.

crazyozzie02
04-19-2005, 11:06 AM
I would doubt the exsistence of God if Frank Thomas ends his career with any other team than the South Siderz. We have to keep him at any cost

Ol' No. 2
04-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Ummm....none of the above.

Renegotiate his contract with an extension that pays him about $8mil/yr for 2-3 years and avoid either accepting the $10.5mil or buying him out.I'm on board with this, but I would wait long enough to see how his ankle heals. I don't think they want to get stuck with a 3 yr deal if he can't play. There's plenty of time.

mweflen
04-19-2005, 11:14 AM
I think they should pay the 10mil/2006 option and then negotiate year by year based on health. Frank is no dummy. Look at the way he accepted the renegotiated deal in the first place. He'll know that he's getting a sweet thank-you deal for 2006, and that he'll get nothing better as a FA than what he'll get year-by-year thereafter.

tstrike2000
04-19-2005, 11:15 AM
Yes, I think they'll try to renegotiate a whole new deal. Just as long as there's none of those clauses like diminished skills or a certain amount lower if he doesn't reach 500 plate appearances.

Flight #24
04-19-2005, 11:28 AM
I'm on board with this, but I would wait long enough to see how his ankle heals. I don't think they want to get stuck with a 3 yr deal if he can't play. There's plenty of time.

Agreed. I remain cautiously optimistic on this for a number of reasons, most recently including Frank's comments yesterday and the fact that KW was supposedly very pleased with his discussion with Frank and Frank's response to the Ozzie "attitude" deal. Frank seems much more focused on the team the past 2-3 years, so I don't see Kenny trying to get rid of him because of attitude. If he performs like Frank Thomas, IMO there's no reason to believe he won't be back.

HawkISox
04-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Has has earned it, and I think will continue to earn it.

I know Carl is doing well now...but I still want Frank back. Carl has shown himself to be injury prone a little as well.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Folks:

The more I read the stories about Frank and the comments about his situation, the more I believe that Williams has told some reporters off the record that Frank will not be back next season.

Phil Rogers a guy whom I respect and think knows baseball pretty well, again in his column today said Frank is 'most likely' gone after the season.

I just don't like the sound of these comments. I could see one guy being wrong but when four or five folks who have access to information that we don't have start saying the same thing, I don't know....remember the old saying 'where there's smoke, there's fire.'

Plus you have Williams' direct comments in the Tribune today saying that Frank has agreed to sit "against certain right handed pitchers." Since when is Frank Thomas a part-time player?

We'll see, but don't be surprised if it November the Sox and Frank part ways.

Lip

Kadafi311
04-19-2005, 12:00 PM
I would doubt the exsistence of God if Frank Thomas ends his career with any other team than the South Siderz. We have to keep him at any cost

I can't help but wonder if this is some sort of abstract biblical pun in reference to "Doubting Thomas".

I agree to a certain extent. Without getting too philosophical (the existence of god already being in doubt), if Frank doesn't retire on the South Side it would be a complete tragedy. I'd even go so far as to call it a trava-sham-ockery.

Flight #24
04-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Folks:

The more I read the stories about Frank and the comments about his situation, the more I believe that Williams has told some reporters off the record that Frank will not be back next season.

Phil Rogers a guy whom I respect and think knows baseball pretty well, again in his column today said Frank is 'most likely' gone after the season.

I just don't like the sound of these comments. I could see one guy being wrong but when four or five folks who have access to information that we don't have start saying the same thing, I don't know....remember the old saying 'where there's smoke, there's fire.'

Plus you have Williams' direct comments in the Tribune today saying that Frank has agreed to sit "against certain right handed pitchers." Since when is Frank Thomas a part-time player?

We'll see, but don't be surprised if it November the Sox and Frank part ways.

Lip

As you say, we'll see. But IMO sitting againsta couple of guys that he doesn't hit well doesn't make Frank a part-time player. No one's going to play absolutely every single day against every single pitcher.

And for evidence that having something repeated doesn't make it true, how many times did you read that Eddy Curry and/or Tyson Chandler would be traded back in Nov/Dec? These guys have a tendency to repeat what they hear from each other. This doesn't pass the "idiot" test in my book, meaning that there is no rationale for doing that unless the team needs to cut payroll - which seems unlikely barring a collapse.

Knockoutinthepar
04-19-2005, 12:41 PM
It depends entirely on this year. Frank's comming off a big injury and he needs to pick up right where he left off. Management isn't going to accept anything less. Let's just hope the Sox make some noise in the playoffs--the more visible they are, the more Frank has to bargin with.

One the other hand, lets hope he values Chicago enough to be reasonable when it comes time to choose.

mweflen
04-19-2005, 02:19 PM
One the other hand, lets hope he values Chicago enough to be reasonable when it comes time to choose.

I would think if he got his 10mil in 06, he'd pretty much take anything (i.e. 2-5 mil) in 07 and 08.

hawkjt
04-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Frank is selling his vegas home and buying in Chicago. He wants to finish here. If he does not it will be an affront to all sox fans who have quietly always supported the big fella. Of course he has to be able to produce which I am confident when he is healthy that he will.

His presence in the lineup means far more than just his hits. As it is right now there is not one bat in this lineup that really frightens the opposing pitchers into doing anything but throw strikes-hence the walk #'s. Frank is an anchor around which a lineup can revolve. He will get on base. He will intimidate pitchers. He is like Eddy Curry in the paint. Without them these teams look somewhat harmless. With them then it makes everyone better.

Frank Thomas- lifetime sox or bust.

Knockoutinthepar
04-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Frank Thomas- lifetime sox or bust.

Here, here! I'll drink to that :gulp:

rdwj
04-19-2005, 03:34 PM
I think they'll work something out - it's a benefit to Frank and the Sox. Plus, if Frank does it right and announces a “farewell season” he’ll make a fortune in endorsements here in Chicago. That opportunity won’t be there anyplace else – he’ll just fade out.

Jjav829
04-19-2005, 04:28 PM
I was just thinking that we haven't had a thread about what to do with Frank's option in a couple weeks. It's probably about time for another one. :tongue:

It's entirely too early to make this decision. No one could possibly decide this without seeing Frank make a single plate appearance this year. It's just way too early.

mweflen
04-19-2005, 04:31 PM
I was just thinking that we haven't had a thread about what to do with Frank's option in a couple weeks. It's probably about time for another one. :tongue:

Seems like most threads have been about who to sit when Frank returns. But hey, I can take some teal:wink: